Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #106
country flag -Valhalla-
Mais Oui

-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
some people also like watching old players : they have memories with them and enjoy their game
As do I ... but on the Champions Series Tour

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #107
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valhalla- View Post
Valid point regarding veterans making their way back from injury. But for older journeymen whos livelihood is Challengers, I disagree.
Tennis is a global game or have you forgotten about that? There is a reason the challengers is called the jungle, very hard to get out of and stay out of there to make it to the promised land of the top 50-75 and consistently be there.

Stick to following the top 10.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #108
country flag -Valhalla-
Mais Oui

-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Keep up the wry humor.

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #109
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valhalla- View Post
The Challenger circuit should be for young up-and-comers instead of aging dinasaurs. Perhaps there should be an age limit? ... 27-28?
Obtuse suggestion but thanks for reigniting the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Tennis is a global game or have you forgotten about that? There is a reason the challengers is called the jungle, very hard to get out of and stay out of there to make it to the promised land of the top 50-75 and consistently be there.

Jungle is a pretty good analogy but jungles don't try to get you back in once you're out... Can't think of anything better though.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #110
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond repute
Default No teens in the Top 100

Not sure what Thomas Muster's comeback will be like and I don't know if he will break into the Top 50 next year like 40-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm did this year on the WTA-tour but it's obvious that players are getting older and older.

There are no teen-sensations at all. Yes, Filip Krajcinovic reached a semifinal at an ATP-event this year and looks like the next big thing from Serbia but it was not that sensationell that an 18-year-old reaches a semi at a small event. Grigor Dimitrov and Bernard Tomic struggle. Ryan Harris is not there yet.

Fact is, that there is no teen in the Top 100 right now!
The best teen is Federico del Bonis from Argentina - # 148.

Back in the 80ties Chang won his first Slam when he was 17, Becker did too, so Mats Wilander. Sampras at Edberg won their first Slams when they were teens. Then Hewitt was the youngest # 1 ever in the 90ties...

More and more players (like Melzer this year) have their breakthrough when they are almost 30. Most of the successful doubles players are way over 30 (although they still look like college-teens - e.g. the Bryan-brothers).*

This is definitly part of the demographic change.

But also I think that the very young players can't compete with the twens because the game got more and more physical. And the body needs time to develop.

The same on the women's side where players at 14 or 15 used to have their breakthrough in the 80ties and 90ties: Austin, Capriati, Hingis, ...

*By the way: I made a similar thread here a year ago:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=147308
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #111
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the Top 100

Grigor Dimitrov ain't struggling anymore

he's on his third consecutive Challenger final, aiming at the third consecutive tittle

There will be a teen top 100 very soon imo

He jumped some 80 places in no time and if he copes physically and follows up the eventual B2B tittles in Bangkok with a solid Thai Open, he might do it more sooner than later

A fact is though that tennis has become much moe phisical and there will be small chances to see a teenager enter the top ranks in the future, what to say about winning ATP tournaments

and from now on should be impossible for an under 20 player to win a GS like it has happened in the last

at least in the men part
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #112
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

and Dimitrov is higher ranked than Del Bonis atm btw

or will be in the next update of the ranking
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #113
country flag FedererBulgaria

FedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Grigor will be very soon!If he wins tomorrow he will be wround 133
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #114
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond repute

@latso

I really believe that Dimitrov will be a great player but he's didn't reach the Top 100 yet and is almost not a teen anymore!!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #115
country flag Navratil

Fact is that the average age of the ATP-players is getting higher and higher (same on the WTA-tour):

Average Age 1990 (of Top 100 players): 24 years old
Average Age 2010 (of Top 100 players): 26,41 years old

WTA tour:
Average Age 1990 (of Top 100 players): 22,35 years old
Average Age 2010 (of Top 100 players): 24,24 years old

And even more extrem in the doubles rankings (ATP / WTA)!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #116
country flag mrclyde

mrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond reputemrclyde has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Dimitrov is going up, he needs more and more points - about 150 and he will be in top 100.

EDIT
Federer also said that, but he thinks this is because more players are mentally stable and that's why hard to break.
mrclyde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #117

FedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeFedererBulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
@latso

I really believe that Dimitrov will be a great player but he's didn't reach the Top 100 yet and is almost not a teen anymore!!
Before 3 months he was like 333 now 133 it seems that he tried too hard against big names early is his career,but now he did it step by step 1-2 good ATP 250 and he will be in top 100 Now he is soooo tired with all that mathes...

Last edited by FedererBulgaria : 09-24-2010 at 09:40 AM.
FedererBulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #118
country flag Navratil

Is this getting a Dimitrov-thread??
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #119
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Remove this pic from here.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
Remove this pic from here.
whats the problem man