Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 30 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #436
country flag zebedee

zebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

The trend that has been spotted is that of an ageing ATP player profile.

Why this is happening - when the physicality of the modern game would presumably favour younger players - is the interesting question that deserves some attention. Whether doping plays its part in this is open to speculation and, one hopes, reasonable conjecture.
zebedee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #437
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
The trend that has been spotted is that of an ageing ATP player profile.

Why this is happening - when the physicality of the modern game would presumably favour younger players - is the interesting question that deserves some attention. Whether doping plays its part in this is open to speculation and, one hopes, reasonable conjecture.
The physicality of the game doesn't favour younger players - it favours the older guys who are in their physical peaks. A guy like Tomic is not in his physical peak and not even close right now.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #438
country flag zebedee

zebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond repute

That's your opinion; you may be right, I don't know. I doubt any data or other information exists that would throw light on this.

Has the mean age of athletes been rising in other sports too? What about sports where doping is known to be widespread, like cycling?
zebedee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #439
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a combination of everything. the most important part is mental IMHO. When I see Djokovic or Fed showing up on the court it's like I see the force, I see so much pure confidence.

When I see these youngsters I'm like 'what the heck'. I joke often about Tomic, Janowitcz but I really wish them well. I just think that somehow they, instead of working hard, like talking too much. they are just so immature. these young guys pretend they are major stars and they are not. I don't see that kind of behaviour from the top 10 guys.

Raonic and Dimitrov seem to really normal regular guys, but they both need to improve so much. I don't really care that much if Djokovic wins or loses IW/Miami but that choking from Dimitrov against him was beyond this world.

same old story, youngsters are not winning anything. Nole won the AO and Dubai, Nadal IW, Murray won Miami ... watch Rafa probably winning everything on clay again. I'm getting bored .
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #440

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
That's your opinion; you may be right, I don't know. I doubt any data or other information exists that would throw light on this.

Has the mean age of athletes been rising in other sports too? What about sports where doping is known to be widespread, like cycling?
Most people peak physically in their early thirties. In tennis, the peak physical age is likely 25-28.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #441
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Most people peak physically in their early thirties. In tennis, the peak physical age is likely 25-28.
What a skewed and utterly biased viewpoint. In some sports, 28-30 is considered the end of one's career and physical peak is usually between 22-25.
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #442
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
true...I'm in my early 30s now and I feel the strongest I've ever been. And I'm no professional athlete by any means
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post
What a skewed and utterly biased viewpoint. In some sports, 28-30 is considered the end of one's career and physical peak is usually between 22-25.
Tennis is about the only sport I can think of where 28-30 is the end of your career. In all team sports (baseball, basketball, hockey, futbol) you can play to 40 or even beyond.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #444
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tennis is about the only sport I can think of where 28-30 is the end of your career. In all team sports (baseball, basketball, hockey, futbol) you can play to 40 or even beyond.
Not the only one. Swimmers are just as unlikely to compete past 30. Some do, the majority don't. Same can be said for divers. And then there's gymnastics - truly a young person's endeavour. Girls seldom compete past 20. Males keep at it a little longer, but not very long into their 20s.

There could be other sports as well, there are several I know little about.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #445

Yes, those sports are examples. But in sports like tennis and major team sports, 23-27 is the peak age usually.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #446
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

It is not age such much as mileage, imo.

If a guy gets on tour at 17, of course he will be done by 30-31, 13-15 years seems to be it.

However, if a guy doesn't get on tour until 23-24, why can't he get his 13 years until 36-37?

Baseball, hockey, you see guys well into their 30's, even 40's playing well, and not only the dopers. Jaromir Jagr for example is having a great year at 41!
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #447
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not quite. In basketball guys over 32-33 are usually considered veterans and after 35 or so will likely to see very limited minutes on the court, unless very selected few like Steve Nash etc. Also because of the more frequent injuries, they are more likely to miss games and so on. In tennis you can't afford to miss a half of the season and then be ready for playoffs
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #448
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't really know how to answer at that, but I'm not complaining
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #449
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the Top 100

No teens in Top 200, 2 in Top 300 after 3 months http://www.perfect-tennis.co.uk/the-...ey-performing/
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #450
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
This is a huge problem for tennis. People say the new generation will step up, but there is no new generation. Everyone winning the big tournaments is in their late 20s or even early 30s, and the future "prospects" are all clowns. Good news for Faker and Muzza fans, they'll be at the top of the game for a long time, and will eventually collect some slams just because no one will step up to replace Fed and Nadull in the next few years.

Just another chapter in the book called: The Death of Tennis by Uncle Tony and the ATP
I fully agree with you

Borna Coric will be No 1 by May 2016
Nick Kyrgios will be No 1 by Jan 2016
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote