Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 29 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #421
country flag CrazyForNole

CrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyForNole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are teenagers struggling to break through?

It's simple:

Fitness

A 17 year old cannot compete with a 25 year old who is I'm his fitness prime
A fitness wonderkid like a Lukaku in soccer will come along and will change the game as we know but not in the next couple years
Or at least not from what I've seen
Tomic is a player currently that has that potential he's just not taking tennis as serious as the top players
You have to want it more than anything
It's harder to want it more than the top 4 (Rafa Nole Fed Murray)
CrazyForNole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #422
country flag Brick Top

Brick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond repute

Cause they luck balls, muscles and confidence.
Hewitt = Llegend
Iron STan = Saviour of tennis
Villains
Nadull - moonballer with zero talent
Ferrer - Talentless Vulture
Tomic - overrated mug who will never win anything big
Brick Top is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #423
country flag mcnasty

mcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond repute

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
mcnasty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #424
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Not good enough.

Physicality is not the issue. Nadal was a beast at 18 already.
I don't understand your logic here. Because Nadal was a beast means your average 18 year old is likely to be as well? Hasn't he long been held as an exceptionally physical specimen?

Between the slow state of the courts and the highly physical nature of the game, I'd say physicality is a glaring issue.

Those factors lend themselves to other issues as well though, too, like a greater need for a big weapon. In the absence of that, a rising player better be pretty damn versatile since weaknesses are made harder to hide as points, on average, seem more difficult to close out assertively.

For those reasons, I believe Raonic was able to make a name for himself on tour sooner than some of his seemingly more talented contemporaries.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #425
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

slower courts are 100% why

they require a more complete game and a stronger physique
most 18-22 year olds are not developed fully
they'll show up in a year or two

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #426
country flag fivebargate

fivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond reputefivebargate has a reputation beyond repute

Slowing down of the courts have made the game mega-physical....eliminating the punchers chance the talented young guns of yore would have. Simples.

Last edited by fivebargate : 03-14-2013 at 01:02 AM.
fivebargate is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #427
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
slower courts are 100% why
Did Dimitrov make 5 DFs in a row because of slow courts? And lost 2nd set in like 20 minutes? Did Goffin lose to Troicki because of slow courts? I'm really wondering how slow courts calculate into that.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #428
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

Game is too physical. No matter how talented you are, you need to have speed and strength to properly return a powerful serve.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #429
country flag legolandbridge

legolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond reputelegolandbridge has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who knows nothing about tennis wouldn't bother to ask. Someone who knows about tennis already knows the answer.
So now what?
Who will be #1?
Attended: RG, Wimbly, USO, Miami, Monaco, Bercy, Rotterdam
legolandbridge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #430
country flag zebedee

zebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Does use of performance-enhancing drugs play a part in this? Conceivably, older players could extend their twilight years with peds, which, allied to nutrition and training advances, would enable them to hold their ranking and continue competing well into their thirties, thus keeping the younger players at bay.

I note that Richard Ings ex-ATP head of anti-doping, has previously commented on the doping risk presented by older players using peds to extend their careers.

Just a thought.
zebedee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #431
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
Does use of performance-enhancing drugs play a part in this? Conceivably, older players could extend their twilight years with peds, which, allied to nutrition and training advances, would enable them to hold their ranking and continue competing well into their thirties, thus keeping the younger players at bay.

I note that Richard Ings ex-ATP head of anti-doping, has previously commented on the doping risk presented by older players using peds to extend their careers.

Just a thought.
I'm no expert in this, but is it not that performance enhancing drugs make your body more exhausted and abused in longer period of time? As far as I know, those drug-filled athletes from East Germany had some health issues.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #432
country flag zebedee

zebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond reputezebedee has a reputation beyond repute

The obvious thing which does spring to mind is the use of hGh in conjunction with testosterone. Standard fare these days, at least for the clientele of anti-ageing clinics, if not professional tennis players entering their twilight years.

I note one tennis name emerged from the Anthony Bosch bust in Florida earlier this year, down as a $500 a month hGh client although he vehemently denied any association with the clinic. He would say that, wouldn't he?, having already been busted once for hGh on his way to the AO a few years back.

It seems to me these players know the risk of getting caught for hGh is as near to non-existent as you could get, so why not carry on doping, even if you have been busted once already?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #433
country flag zebedee

You are correct. Casual abuse of steroids e.g by gymrats, is a very risky practice indeed. However, I imagine abuse of steroids as peds by professional tennis players will be conducted under the care of compliant physicians with sufficient expertise to know what they are doing, signs to look out for etc.

It is my contention that professional tennis players should make enforced, regular declarations of their medical records to a specially-appointed medic with oversight responsibility for anti-doping. That ought to make life a tad more difficult for the dopers. Literally, nothing is being policed at present beyond the figleaf exercise carried out by the ITF. The term 'ITF anti-doping' is a complete misnomer, a PR con trick.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #434
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe the players are clean?

Maybe everyone is doing it correctly?

I know in this day and age it is in vogue to assert that players are taking this that and the other, especially in an era with Lance Armstrong, but I like to think that everyone is clean.

You may call it naive, but I'd rather believe everyone is clean and then find they are dirty, that I can live with, rather than believing players are dirty when in fact they are clean.

The question becomes, at what point do you sell your soul to win matches? I'd like to think that everyone is clean, and everyone has integrity.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #435
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
there are many different kinds of PEDs and it's a complicated topic.

As we've heard, one of the main effects that PEDs can provide now is to help recovering from long training sessions and matches and that's one of the main problem of old players, surely it would help them.

When players speak so much of nutrition and so on ... I really wonder why they would be so genuine not to use PEDs as well when doping tests are so inoffensive in tennis
Well, if you can see some trends, where the entire top 100 or top 200 is following the same pattern, I guess that would also mean the entire top 200 is doped?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote