Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #406
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
It's an impression I've had and which I meant to say because I always read that you can't have a long carreer if you grind a lot, which is what people seem to say about Nadal and sometimes about Djokovic. When I look at lower-ranked players, this doesn't seem obvious at all.
Dunno, I've heard that many times, but never made much sense to me, except gymnastics there's practically no sport out there where a 25-26 yr old player is expected to be "washed up" and ready to retire, grinding or no grinding.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #407
country flag Ben D.

Ben D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond reputeBen D. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are the teenagers ? None in top 250 !

teens are busy training with Pierre Ludovic Duclos.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

1 year, 7 weeks as Top 10 and counting
M T F
Mega-Tsonga-Fandom
don't like Tsonga? move along, it's propaganda here.

Ben D. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #408
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Jiri Vesely will be 242nd next week and has made another ATP point (for now) this week.
This is reaching! Vesely is ranked 206 now but he'll be 20 in four months!

However, the real 'teen' still in his wonder years is 17 year old Nick Kyrgios ranked 324.

How's Vesely's game anyways? Any promise?
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #409
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
This is reaching! Vesely is ranked 206 now but he'll be 20 in four months!

However, the real 'teen' still in his wonder years is 17 year old Nick Kyrgios ranked 324.

How's Vesely's game anyways? Any promise?
We will see this year on Challenger circuit, he mastered Futures well
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #410
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond reputeMarcoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are the teenagers ? None in top 250 !

Wow what is Kei Nishikori doing down there !! As I remember he used to be much much higher, If not the top 20. The low amount of young players in Top 100 is not bringing us a good future, I think But what to do.
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #411
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are teenagers struggling to break through?

People talk about how physical the game has supposedly become, but is that really the reason?

I saw an incredibly unfit Murray reach the third round of Wimbledon at 18, Nadal had won RG at 19, Novak was putting some good performances as well yet the current crop of youngsters couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag.

We are truly blessed to have four brilliant tennis players. Once they retire I have no idea what state the game will be in.

In the space of 4-5 years are we really to believe it's become impossible for a teenager to break through?
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #412
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are teenagers struggling to break through?

The game is more physical than it was in 2005-2007.

Give it a year or two and I think the younger guys will start to come through.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #413
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis has become incredibly physical. The athletic requirements are far higher than they were still some years ago. And you need years in the gym and on the courts to develop the needed athleticism. (A bit off topic now) it's the same for example in handball. There you also need athleticism and you hardly have guys of 19, 20, 21 years who are already playing on the top level, who are already physically matured. At least 95% of them still have development potential.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #414
country flag Pusha T

Pusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond reputePusha T has a reputation beyond repute

Slower courts.
Pusha T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #415
country flag NovakIvanisevic

NovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond reputeNovakIvanisevic has a reputation beyond repute

So called young guns are awful.It`s normal, because after every great generation there is often vacuum.Nole and Andy were physicaly not that great in early years and still had respectable results-Murray beating Federer in 2006,etc.They were extremely gifted, those guys are not.They are like 21,22 and people calling them young guns is travesty.Del Potro ripped Federer in USO at tender age of 21,Nole was in finals of USO when 20.Next big thing is probably making his way through junior ranks.
NovakIvanisevic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #416
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Not good enough.

Physicality is not the issue. Nadal was a beast at 18 already.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #417
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute

depth, game becoming a lot more physical, much much more pressure than before cause of the amount of money involved and the evolution of medias (internet etc...)
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #418
country flag Lleyton_

Lleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond reputeLleyton_ has a reputation beyond repute

Because they suck.
Lleyton_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #419
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

A combination of things:

slower courts do not allow for "upsets", the physical and technical talents among the youngsters are less than ever before, and mental strength are weak among the youngsters (they seem to be spoilt bunch: tomug, gulbis - although seem changing now, dimugtrov)
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #420
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

Simple... in these tough economic times they simply can't afford to be on tour. Low ranked tournaments don't pay the bills... so they either have to be lucky enough to get sponsored or have a rich Daddy. Most find another career. The tennis talent that actually gets through is sadly often based on finances.

Most have to grind for years, living on the breadline before someone finally takes notice
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote