Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #241
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the cause for a lack of youngsters coming through the game?

1. We are expecting too much from them. We are already looking for the next Federer or GOAT contender in general, but that is unfair to think that way.
2. We have a very strong field (regardless of what people think) especially at the top, and it is going to take a lot for anyone, youngsters or not, to dethrone them..
3. The game has become heavily physical. No more can players just rely on their talent like perhaps in previous decades. That being said, naturally for most people, their physical peak comes much later than when they first get on the tour, which is why you see all these what people the past few years have been calling "late-bloomers" when in reality, I think they aren't really late for today's game.
4. Since it has become tougher to win a point outright in general, the game has become more mental at least to some degree. Only way players can surpass the mental aspect is to get experience, and obviously that requires time.
5. Luck. All players need a little bit of fortune, and it is no different for the youngsters. It could be anything, off day for the top player they face, a great draw opening up, some important points going their way, etc. I mean once that fortune comes along and gives them a breakthrough, their game could blossom and suddenly they are mentally strong.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #242
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Simply not good enough. Anyway, there's no rule that there shoould be a Sampras or a Federer every 5 or every 10 years
The thing is there always used to be one of those. There was a Borg, or a Lendl, or a Sampras, or a Federer or whatever. The next generation seem to be 90% mugs.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #243
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
The thing is there always used to be one of those. There was a Borg, or a Lendl, or a Sampras, or a Federer or whatever. The next generation seem to be 90% mugs.
Again, even in the poor basketball or football or baseball/whatever clubs you get decent money. Not only that - you get head coach, assistant coach, goalie/big men/etc coach, physios, doctors; your accommodation and traveling is arranged, pretty much you just need to play.

From the little I picked up reading the forums, many players - especially younger ones/who didn't break through can't afford a coach or a physio, travel alone, can easily lose a match just because they were too tired or couldn't find a decent place to hit or a decent hitting partner. AJ mentioned in other topic that Challengers money didn't go up in the last 20 years or so.

How many top sports talents would even consider picking up tennis these days, when they could be so much more successful (and rich) in many other sports.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #244
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
The fact it's become so physical puts younger guys at a disadvantage to the fully developed and also to get to the top of the game you need to have a brilliant defensive game and excellent conditioning for long rallies and battles.

All of the newer generation are considered clowns, but the truth of the matter is they would transcend better to more 'skill-friendly' eras. For example Raonic in the 90s and Dimitrov in the 80s. Only Tomic if he ever grows some stamina and fighting spirit has the defensive game and possible finishing power to be competitive.
This.

These guys are all coming onto the tour at a time when the game is more physical than ever. Some of these juniors come on with weapons that simply don't cut it on the much more demanding pro tour, which in turn takes a mental toll as well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the players to make a bit of noise early are the more physically mature ones like Raonic or Janowicz.

It'll take someone truly exceptional to have an early breakout to the extent that any of those greats did.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #245
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond repute

Time goes by quicker now, a second/minute/hour became shorter, so the 19 y.olds are like 15-16 y.olds in the previous era.
gulzhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #246
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
This.

These guys are all coming onto the tour at a time when the game is more physical than ever. Some of these juniors come on with weapons that simply don't cut it on the much more demanding pro tour, which in turn takes a mental toll as well.
Well, Haas is nearly 35, had more injuries than a stuntman or a pro wrestler, and still had better results than any youngster, except maybe Raonic. He cannot possibly have easier time on tour than a healthy 19 or 20 year old. Haas played 6 matches at RG and went on to win Halle beating Federer no less in the finals, dropping only 1 set (!!!) on the way. While Tomic gave a RET in R1
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #247
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since Federer and Nadal raised the bar, you need exceptional technical and physical talents to break through/win a Slam as a youngster.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #248
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

They're all mugs. End of discussion.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #249
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

bla bla bla...we all want to see the youngsters break through. I'm as impatient as anyone else but just because they haven't won a grand slam or major title yet doesn't mean that they won't or that they are a weak crop of talent.

The GOAT didn't win his first grand slam until 23 years old. Not every young player can be like Boris Becker or Nadal and win tournaments and slams as a teenager. I think that's the exception to the rule.

It is a good point that times have changes the surfaces have gotten dramatically slower, points have gotten longer and players can't just serve their way through tournaments anymore like they used to. Thus, the older more mature, fitter, stronger guys can outlast a 19/20 year old who isn't fit enough to make it through a best of 5 set match.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #250
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Well, Haas is nearly 35, had more injuries than a stuntman or a pro wrestler, and still had better results than any youngster, except maybe Raonic. He cannot possibly have easier time on tour than a healthy 19 or 20 year old. Haas played 6 matches at RG and went on to win Halle beating Federer no less in the finals, dropping only 1 set (!!!) on the way. While Tomic gave a RET in R1
The conversation isn't restricted to stamina, there's much more to physicality than that. Have you seen Haas? Injuries or not, the guy is ripped as far as tennis players go. He has always been and continues to be a very athletic, physical player. On average, he can put much more on the ball than most of these up-and-comers.

Moreover, the mileage on his body isn't like that of a typical, seasoned 36 year old pro because so much of his playing career was sidelined by injuries and rehab.

And to top it all off, he's highly experienced, and he can work a point much better than most of these youth.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #251
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
Moreover, the mileage on his body isn't like that of a typical, seasoned 36 year old pro because so much of his playing career was sidelined by injuries and rehab.

And to top it all off, he's highly experienced, and he can work a point much better than most of these youth.
He still has nearly 800 ATP matches, does anyone even have more (except Federer)? How about Brian Baker? Came from deep retirement, history of injuries, doesn't look ripped and still had much better first half of the year than most. Heck, he finished the year ranked higher than Harrison and mere 9 places behind Tomic.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #252
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Tending to opt for the physical explanation, but other 2 options have their merits.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 23 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 7 GS, 4 Year End Masters, 20 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #253
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

They don't have what it takes mentally, obviously. Except Nishikori.

Just wait till I get out of college, and I will show those seasoned pros what the "Youngsters" are about
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #254
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

I say it is a worthless generation in all fields, too much time infront of the computer ruined their development physically and mentally. Not only tennis is ruined but our whole civilization.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #255
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
Just wait till I get out of college, and I will show those seasoned pros what the "Youngsters" are about
You won't be number 1 as long as I'm around

I'll dominate you with my jumping 2 handed backhand swinging volley.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote