Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #226
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

so uhm...

what's the deal with this...
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #227
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

Good for me. Good for the game too.

Too often we had teenagers breaking through in the past and mentally and maturity wise, they simply aren't ready for it. Now, it is tougher to break through, and guys experience success later. Which also prolongs your career. A guy can play Top 150 level or better tennis for about 10 years. When guys break through at 16 or 17, they are done physically by 26-27, mentally maybe earlier than that.

But if a guy doesn't break through until 22-23, then he can play until his early 30's or beyond at a high level.

A lot also has to do with playing style and the individual player's level of love and commitment for the game.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #228
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Capo View Post
Good for me. Good for the game too.

Too often we had teenagers breaking through in the past and mentally and maturity wise, they simply aren't ready for it. Now, it is tougher to break through, and guys experience success later. Which also prolongs your career. A guy can play Top 150 level or better tennis for about 10 years. When guys break through at 16 or 17, they are done physically by 26-27, mentally maybe earlier than that.

But if a guy doesn't break through until 22-23, then he can play until his early 30's or beyond at a high level.

A lot also has to do with playing style and the individual player's level of love and commitment for the game.
it's not gonna happen. like your post tho. being a Nole fan I'm kinda happy that he started winning majors now when he is 24. I think all players need to mature. I simply can't see any of these young guys coming even close to Nole, Rog or Rafa.

I've been watching tennis for a very long times. The first match I saw was Borg vs. Jmac 1980 I think. I truly believe that what we are seeing nowadays are the best tennis players ever. these guys are simply creating history.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #229
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

The number #1 is 24 , how is that old?
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #230
country flag DemiCrayanhan

DemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond reputeDemiCrayanhan has a reputation beyond repute

I was just referring to this in another thread. I, for one, miss the teen major winners. My first tennis match was Becker winning Wimbledon. Mesmerized. Graf in '88, Hingis...there was something special about discovering someone so early on, watching them grow up on court and getting excited about possibly many years of greatness ahead. I haven't felt this since Rafa 7 years ago and that's a century in tennis time. I've already given up on the so-called next gen. I've found myself watching the junior slam finals this past year to see if anyone catches my eye, no such luck yet.

Whatever it is, physicality, slower courts, new technology, attitude...whatever have stopped the prodigy phenomenon, I need it dealt with yesterday.

Having said that, I have no problem with the, well, more experienced players getting their long overdue 15 mins of fame...God knows Sam, Na, Fran on the women's side had paid their dues.

The Yin-Yang of Tennis

"Seemingly contrary forces which are not only interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, but only give rise to each other in turn."
DemiCrayanhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #231
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
The number #1 is 24 , how is that old?
One player =/= the entire 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #232
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

there are no wunderkinds because the slow tour grind rewards slow tour grind...

key FACT: endurance peaks at age 35 in men
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #233
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
there are no wunderkinds because the slow tour grind rewards slow tour grind...

key FACT: endurance peaks at age 35 in men
So just a few more years to wait for Hass' golden slam then mate?

Ajde.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #234
country flag Poirot123

Poirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond reputePoirot123 has a reputation beyond repute

The tour is ageing as there is no new talent in the young age groups. Simples really. If Raonic, Harrison, Young, Dimitrov were the real deal they'd be getting results today. That the top four have been Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray for 2 years solid, and Ferrer has been top 8 for 3 years solid, has said everything you need to know about mens game. Defenders with great consistency, or top top talents (Federer) are required to at the top of the mens game. No young guys come anywhere near to the level required.
Poirot123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #235
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
So just a few more years to wait for Hass' golden slam then mate?

Ajde.
correct

Haas knows best
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #236
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is the cause for a lack of youngsters coming through the game?

Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, face it they're all mugs. And I was hearing the other day that there are far fewer teenagers in the top 100 right now than any other time. There are no 18-22 year olds who look like taking the tennis world by storm. Compare this to the likes of sampras, aggassi, safin, federer, roddick, hewitt, ferrero, nadal, djokovic, del potro, murray - these guys have all at least got to grand slam finals when they were youngsters, and most won them.

So what is the main/most likely cause for this?
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #237
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the cause for a lack of youngsters coming through the game?

They're not good enough, except some cases like Dolgopolov who is just a headcase, but he has the talent.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #238
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Simply not good enough. Anyway, there's no rule that there shoould be a Sampras or a Federer every 5 or every 10 years

Last but not least, several other sports got massive gains in cash/popularity/etc in the last 20 yrs or so compared to tennis - if you are +190cm tall, tennis isn't going to be high on the list most likely. NBA finals used to be on tape delay in the 80s, but look at them now - even a complete scrub who never gets up from the bench is making close to $1 mil. per year, and if he doesn't totally suck, it could be $2 mil. easily.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 11-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #239
country flag Nole Rules
Banned!

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Mugness I guess.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #240
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

The fact it's become so physical puts younger guys at a disadvantage to the fully developed and also to get to the top of the game you need to have a brilliant defensive game and excellent conditioning for long rallies and battles.

All of the newer generation are considered clowns, but the truth of the matter is they would transcend better to more 'skill-friendly' eras. For example Raonic in the 90s and Dimitrov in the 80s. Only Tomic if he ever grows some stamina and fighting spirit has the defensive game and possible finishing power to be competitive.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote