Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #136
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the peak age of tennis players getting older?

It appears more and more difficult for teenagers to have breakthroughs now, especially at Grand Slams, than it was years ago. I mean look, you had Becker/Chang who were 17, Borg who was 18 when they won their first slams, and now it is quite difficult to find a GS winner under 20. If I remember correctly, in the last 10 years, Nadal was the youngest at 19. Then of course you have a couple 20/21 year olds with Roddick/Hewitt/Safin/Djokovic/Del Potro.

Then again, they are only a few years off each other as 17-21 isn't a HUGE difference, but I think it would make sense especially how the game has evolved into a very physical sport. Players' bodies need to become more mature and stronger, which obviously takes time. You don't see these skinny 16-18 year olds from the 80s running around doing some damage at the slams.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #137
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poirot123 View Post
Who then?
It doesn't ever matter who. The very idea that no one currently playing who hasn't made it to top 10 so far will never do it is ludicrous. What will happen for it to come true, current top 10 will continue to do so for 10 more years?
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #138
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

The "next generation" after murray/djoko seemed to be delpot/cilic/gulbis, a year younger, and all born within a few days. Only DelPot really did anything so far.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #139
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, major winning youth and even tour ready youth seems to be in a lull right at this moment in time...whether that has something to with tour rigour or the 09 pts change or whatever i'm not sure...but, i believe for sure that the elder statesmen have never had it so good in the last 2 decades as right now should they want to hang around beyond their 30th bday...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #140
country flag Jaz

Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute

Someone should analyse the average Age of finalists.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #141
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
Yes - I recommend reading StatRacket's analysis.
Cheers buddy!Here's the first page of my three part article on age and ranking in men's tennis.

Unfortunately, we cannot say for sure what the average age of peak performance will be among today's players as the date of their career high ranking is still uncertain. However, we can look at the average age of career high of the top players in the past. The top 50 players of 1980 reached their career high at 25.74 on average. The 1995 top 50 had an average career high age of 25.02.

I suspect that the average age of peak performance will still be around 25, but players are now performing close to their career best for longer (or at least at older ages). For example, players like Ljubicic, Chela and Nieminen are performing well at older ages but aren't reaching new career highs. This phenomenon increases the average age of the top 100 but doesn't increase the age in which players peak.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #142
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute

Players are developing slower. Federer was ranked 14 before his 20th birthday. Nadal was ranked 2 when he was 19-years-old. Now there are no teenagers in the top 100. So none of them will be playing hectic schedules (aka winning) until they are in their 20s. So the prime age of emerging players today should be later because of that.
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #143
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but I would also guess that the potential length of that peak is shorter due to the physicality of the sport today.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #144
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Statracket did this properly.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #145
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are teenagers ?

1 year and half later, still no teenagers in the top 100, and the youngest player in the next ranking will be Dolgopolov (22y 0m 1d).

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #146
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
Out Partying with Gasguet?

Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #147
country flag Mungo

Mungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond repute

Prodigy teens are born in Mallorca once in a while
Mungo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #148
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt this just suggest this is not a mug era? The fact that talented teens can't in fact break into the top 100 and challenge the top guys from this era shows how tough the competition has become, NOT how weak the quality of the pool of teens (poor D.Young).

To be honest, spindly 17 and 18 year olds breaking through and winning a GS or two like Chang and Becker doesnt say much for the overall quality of the guys at the very highest levels in those apparently "strong" eras.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #149
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Doesnt this just suggest this is not a mug era? The fact that talented teens can't in fact break into the top 100 and challenge the top guys from this era shows how tough the competition has become, NOT how weak the quality of the pool of teens (poor D.Young).

To be honest, spindly 17 and 18 year olds breaking through and winning a GS or two like Chang and Becker doesnt say much for the overall quality of the guys at the very highest levels in those apparently "strong" eras.
Not really, more like it shows how hard it is to break through as a youngster when everyone ranked ahead of you plays virtually the same or similar style. There's no room for a talented youngster with a well rounded game to stand out because the surfaces and styles of play have become so homogenized.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #150
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesswoop View Post
Not really, more like it shows how hard it is to break through as a youngster when everyone ranked ahead of you plays virtually the same or similar style. There's no room for a talented youngster with a well rounded game to stand out because the surfaces and styles of play have become so homogenized.
I don't buy that, love.

It is all mental. If a player has the mindset of your post, then he definitely won't break through.

The difference between top 100 and top 200 is mostly the mental game. Everyone is good, matches turn on a few points
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote