Grand Slam Analysis - Trying to Measure of Aggressiveness - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
country flag zippar

zippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grand Slam Analysis - Trying to Measure of Aggressiveness

Somewhat of a continuation of Slasher's previous threads("who pushed vs who hit") for RG. You can see the old thread at http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...hit+pushed+way

I added a new table to compare the "aggressiveness" of the Wimbledon quarterfinalists. See below...

Some interesting things to point out:
- AO seems to be have the "slowest" surface - most difficult to hit winners and/or force the opponent to make forced errors
- When you look at the stats for Wimbledon, without making any adjustments for serve and return advantage/disadvantage, Raonic seems to be the most "aggressive" player and Federer one of the least aggressive ones. However, when you make adjustments, you see that e.g. players like Raonic, Kyrgios and Cilic are much more passive without the serve... which for players like Kyrgios and Raonic is rather intuitive since they rely heavily on the serve... it's a little surprising for Cilic though...

If you want to take a look at the file(see explanation,formulas, details etc.) you can download it at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu...A0S2pDMFk/edit
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Slam Analysis - Trying to Measure of Aggressiveness

Can you explain what all of this stuff means? No adj? adj for SA? Looks like fucking tennis algebra.
^This is what having a crush does to an individual.

Follow me on Twitter; https://twitter.com/RedliningMyGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by monfed View Post
RG 11 Final wasn't a gamble you utter tard. It was a lock for Novak.
^^^^^^^^^ No, you DON'T need glasses.

Or find my posts at #MuppetOfTheHighestCaliber
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
country flag TheBeuatiful

TheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond reputeTheBeuatiful has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, my! I think I am too blond for this?!!
TheBeuatiful is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
country flag zippar

zippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond reputezippar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
Can you explain what all of this stuff means? No adj? adj for SA? Looks like fucking tennis algebra.
You can find the the explanation in Slasher's previous thread(see OP) or in the file.

Here is a brief legend:
SA - Serve Advantage
RDA - Return Disadvantage
TP - Total Points
W - Winners
FE - Forced Errors by Opponent
UE - Unforced Errors
A - Ace
DF - Double Faults

Essentially, we are looking at how many of the points were won using aggressive shots(those that produced winners/forced errors) vs the other. I included measures for SA and RDA because in a lot of the points the quality of serve, quality of return determines how aggressive a player is and can be.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
country flag Moonball Pusher
Banned!

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely love the work being done with this. I posted the original stats for it back in January and I've been thinking about starting a website with it. I will also take credit for the original idea . But really you've gone above and beyond with your work. I'd love to see it done for the whole tour.

Tennis needs far more efficiency stats.

Last edited by Moonball Pusher : 07-01-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Moonball Pusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
country flag zippar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonball Pusher View Post
I absolutely love the work being done with this. I posted the original stats for it back in January and I've been thinking about starting a website with it. I will also take credit for the original idea . But really you've gone above and beyond with your work. I'd love to see it done for the whole tour.

Tennis needs far more efficiency stats.
I agree with you, tennis is one of the sports for which we have the least amount of stats/analysis.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippar View Post
You can find the the explanation in Slasher's previous thread(see OP) or in the file.

Here is a brief legend:
SA - Serve Advantage
RDA - Return Disadvantage
TP - Total Points
W - Winners
FE - Forced Errors by Opponent
UE - Unforced Errors
A - Ace
DF - Double Faults

Essentially, we are looking at how many of the points were won using aggressive shots(those that produced winners/forced errors) vs the other. I included measures for SA and RDA because in a lot of the points the quality of serve, quality of return determines how aggressive a player is and can be.
Ah. I see.

Good stuff.
^This is what having a crush does to an individual.

Follow me on Twitter; https://twitter.com/RedliningMyGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by monfed View Post
RG 11 Final wasn't a gamble you utter tard. It was a lock for Novak.
^^^^^^^^^ No, you DON'T need glasses.

Or find my posts at #MuppetOfTheHighestCaliber
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

So Kyrgios is the least aggressive player remaining this Wimbledon? Okay.

The only way something can have no consequences is if it has no effect. The only way something can have no effect is if it doesn't exist. It's completely paradoxical, therefore, to claim that something can exist and simultaneously have no effect.

People are not "free" to express an opinion. Instead, if they choose to express anything, they choose to pay the price. The price is the effect on others and the effect on the person. There is no free lunch in this world.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
country flag zippar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
So Kyrgios is the least aggressive player remaining this Wimbledon? Okay.
How aggressive a player is also depends on other factors which I have not included in the analysis (e.g. the type of player your are facing). If I dig in the data, I see that Kyrgios "seems" to have been very passive in his R1 vs Stephane Robert (you can check the stats here). This skews a little bit his numbers. If we take out that match, his measure goes close to the other boys.
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score...y9/1158ms.html
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get the raw data? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
country flag zippar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Where did you get the raw data? If you don't mind me asking.
From the official websites of the Grand Slams.E.g.
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/playe...w/atpke17.html