Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older)

No i am not looking for young sex partners.

I just noticed that the youngest top 100 (Del Potro and Cilic) are already 20yrs and 7 months.
It never happened that the youngest top 100 player was so "old" (since the ranking exists).

Nishikori (19yo and 4 months) was the only teenager in top 100 until 2 weeks ago. He is now 118th and the highest ranked teenager. Young (162th) and Klein (188th) are the two other ones in top 200.

I also found out that average age of top 100 players is the oldest since at least 1994 (about 26,5yo.):

How would you interpet that ?

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret

Last edited by n8 : 12-01-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are teenagers ?

mug era!!!

had to say it before some troll does, anyway...

well spotted.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Very well spotted like Habib said.
It's undeniable, and I wonder if there's anyone around here who is able to come up with a good theory on the reason why.
I surely can't think of anything aside, perhaps, from the fact that the game has become more 'physical' in the past decade or so, and guys usually tend to become stronger physically until their 23-25 years of age.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
country flag cocrcici

cocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond repute

the fact that the game has become more 'physical'
Thiem
Summer is coming...
cocrcici is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but have some thoughts on the US. In this country you can sign one 5 contract in baseball, football, or basketball and make what Federer has in his entire career. If you were a parent, where would you push your kids. Unfortunately tennis is rapidly becoming a distant choice for young athletes in this country, and only recently have we began to try to do something about it. It remains to be seen if we can turn this thing around.
I noticed last week after Rome, I didn't even hear it mentioned on ESPN or any other news outlet who won the damn tournament. They were all to busy rehashing NBA playoff games.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

thought about that some time ago. no idea why. I guess it's just coincidence. we'll see.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
No i am not looking for young sex partners.

I just noticed that the youngest top 100 (Del Potro and Cilic) are already 20yrs and 7 months.
It never happened that the youngest top 100 player was so "old" (since the ranking exists).

Nishikori (19yo and 4 months) was the only teenager in top 100 until 2 weeks ago. He is now 118th and the highest ranked teenager. Young (162th) and Klein (188th) are the two other ones in top 200.

I also found out that average age of top 100 players is the oldest since at least 1994 (about 26,5yo.):

How would you interpet that ?
players are in better shape and are playing longer...not getting injured as much or coming back from injury faster.

Last edited by n8 : 12-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
El Legenda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
country flag Steelq

Steelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
Very well spotted like Habib said.
It's undeniable, and I wonder if there's anyone around here who is able to come up with a good theory on the reason why.
I surely can't think of anything aside, perhaps, from the fact that the game has become more 'physical' in the past decade or so, and guys usually tend to become stronger physically until their 23-25 years of age.
Definitely, this.Kids just can't keep up in the long baseline rallies against physically much stronger opponents.Talent alone is just not enough anymore.
Steelq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
country flag cocrcici

cocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond reputecocrcici has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
players are in better shape and are playing longer...not getting injured as much or coming back from injury faster.

(iz kog si grada,ja sam rodjen u bos.gradisci(ako nije tajna))
Thiem
Summer is coming...
cocrcici is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
country flag asabovesobellow

asabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond reputeasabovesobellow has a reputation beyond repute

Evo is the highest ranked born 1990 onwards...and he's ranked down at 320!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
country flag Boarder35m

Boarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond reputeBoarder35m has a reputation beyond repute

This may be pure speculation but this might as well also come from sense that education is important and that you need good grades for the time after yout tennis career, especcially if you keep at future or challenger level.

To be honest if I had a kid that wanted to end school and start a tennis chareer at the age of 15 I would try to keep him from that, as well
Boarder35m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder35m View Post
This may be pure speculation but this might as well also come from sense that education is important and that you need good grades for the time after yout tennis career, especcially if you keep at future or challenger level.

To be honest if I had a kid that wanted to end school and start a tennis chareer at the age of 15 I would try to keep him from that, as well
Although I agree with you as I would make sure my kids had an education first; I still find so many of the parents of these guys live off their children.
You know your career is my career so let's get going mentality.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps being in the top 100 is more viable financially (as a career) than ever before leading to players sticking around longer. Or maybe players from less wealthy countries are increasingly involved and thus seeing it that way.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Mug era. Older players can keep playing until they're over 30 because competition is a freaking joke.

Moya is the perfect example.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
country flag Ivo#1Fan

Ivo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeIvo#1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the Fabrice Santoro effect . He was hitting 30 years old around the start of that graph (1995) and as he get's older he just pulls the line higher and higher. Now that he's approaching 100 it's going to take at least 10 teenagers entering the top 100 to balance out his impact.

Last edited by Ivo#1Fan : 05-09-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Ivo#1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote