Pete's win that made you the happiest - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pete's win that made you the happiest

Which of Pete's victories made you the happiest and why?

For me it was his 6-4,6-3,4-6,7-5 victory over Andre Agassi in the USO final of 1995.

For starters, Andre had beaten Pete at the AO final that same year and at 2 other finals too (Key Biscayne and Montreal), so revenge was sweet.

Having won Wimbledon gave him a shot at regaining the #1 ranking Andre had taken away from him earlier in the year and that USO victory practically clinched it for him.

Andre was playing the best tennis of his life winning four tournaments on hard courts between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open- he was a totally undisputed giant on the cement. And so it was that Pete surpassed his enormity by taking back his US Open title. People back then were talking about how Pete was past his best and how Andre knocked him off his perch, it was just so sweet to see them choke on their words after that amazing final

One last point- does anyone remember the famous point that Pete won the first set with? An amazing 20+ stroke rally which ended with Pete hitting a backhand cross-court winner. I was on a high for several months after this final. Ok, time for me to shut up now.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pete's win that made you the happiest

Ah but you missed the best part Ron. IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR ANDRE!!! Pete banished Andre from the tour after that win. Andre and Brad couldn't live on the tour without the number one ranking. Andre lost interest in the sport and faded away for a few years as far as being a force to reckon with.

I can't believe so many people would rwrite off Pete back then. My god was he wasn't even 25 years old. How of them.

Last edited by Dirk : 08-15-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:35 AM   #3
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

What a smilie, Dirk! I remember that particular point Ron, they just kept pounding and pounding stroke for stroke from the baseline, but the way the point ended was. Great stuff. Poor Andre. Had it not been for that match, I gaurentee you he would of won more majors. But i also have firm believe his marriage with Brook Shields had ALOT to do with Andre dissapearing for a few years.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:20 AM   #4
country flag Lalitha

Lalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that point and then there was an Advertisement based on that as well. Both Pete and Andre keep hitting the balls again and again for days, weeks and so. Finally a ball boy would drop a ball that would roll on the court and chair umpire calls to replay the point. Nice ad it was.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
country flag Lalitha

Lalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond reputeLalitha has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, I forgot to say my happiest Pete win. Apart from his record 14th Grandslam, the 1999 Wimbly finals against Agassi is my favourite. Pete played flawless tennis all the way.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great match too Lalitha. As for the ad, I remember it was a hilarious ad, they kept on playing after they had grown long beards

Dirk, I think Andre's loss to Pete in that final deifnitely had some impact on his spiral down the rankings in the next couple of years, however I don't think that was the only reason- as Fedex mentioned his marriage to Brook and his other offcourt distractions meant that he was not 100% focused and devoted to tennis. But that was also the nature of the guy back then- his commitment was no where near as high as it has been in the last few years.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but Ron what made Andre lose interest in the sport and displace it else where? Do you really think had Andre won that final and been number one that he would have cow toweled to Brooke and his sitcom? I think it would have been the other way around. At that point Gil was not apart of Andre's life but that match unearthed the deepest fear of Andre and it infected his life like a virus.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
country flag RonE

Are you reffering to Gil Reyes? I distinctly remember seeing him in the stands along with Brad Gilbert during the Australian Open that year, so I would guess he was a part of his entourage during USO too.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #9
country flag RonE

You are right in that had Andre won that match his decline would not have been as rapid as it was, though I think at some point he would have lost interest anyhow. Who knows, maybe if he had won that USO and kept his ranking in the top 3 consistently he might not have won the FO as part of his resurgency? Too many parameters to take into consideration.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:36 AM   #10
country flag Lalitha

As RonE has said, too many parameters. Andre, at that time was known more for other things than his tennis. But on the other hand, somebody once said that since he has'nt played high level tennis for some time - which means not much of a physical burn out, happens to be the reason he is playing actively still today.

But I think Andre has a thing with marriages .With Brooks, his career diminished. With Steffi, it has been good.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:42 AM   #11
country flag Lalitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE
That was a great match too Lalitha. As for the ad, I remember it was a hilarious ad, they kept on playing after they had grown long beards
Yes RonE, it was funny to see Pete with an artifical beard.

What was the ad for anyway? I think it was for 'NIKE', right??
Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #12
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

for me, its the 02 us open final, winning it when everyone wrote him off, the victory was so sweet

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #13
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbleton 2000 and then USO 2002
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
country flag RonE

Yes, Lalitha. I think it was Nike too but I'm not 100% sure. Makes sense, since it is the one product line that they were both sponsored by.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #15
country flag angiel

angiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond repute

My happiest Pete win apart from the US open 2002, was his record-breaking 2000 wimbledon, here he played through injuries when he could have give up, he almost fall behind two sets to one to Rafter, the added pressure with his parents there, and just how he handles himself during the during the whole two weeks, it was classic.

But do you know what is so great about Pete's career, he plays his whole life suffering from a form of anaemia known as thalassemia,

this condition is incurable and hampers athletic performances, indeed thalassemia is common among Mediterranean people, and both Mr and Mrs. Sampras senior are of Greek descent.

Thalassemia sufferers have a low count of haemoglobin, the substance that carries oxygen to the red blood cells.
angiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote