About Djokovic Rafa impersonation in Rome - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
country flag Seville

Seville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond reputeSeville has a reputation beyond repute
Default About Djokovic Rafa impersonation in Rome

In Typically Spanish, an online newspaper for English-speaking residents in Spain, readers discuss about Djokovic's reluctant Rafa impersonation in Rome, during the trophy ceremony.

First, the news
Quote:
Rafael Nadal wins the Rome Masters for the fourth time
By h.b. - May 4, 2009

There is controversy in Spain as the TVE channel cuts Djokovic impersonating Nadal's serve gestures during the prize ceremony

Rafael Nadal has won the Rome Masters for the fourth time in what has been his best ever start to the season. He defeated the Serbian player Novak Djokovic 7-6,6-2, in a result which also allows Andy Murray to take up the World Number 3 slot.

Speaking after the match Nadal said that if he loses in Paris in the French Open it will be unfair to say he has had a bad season on clay.

There is some controversy in Spain over the public broadcaster TVE’s decision to cut the transmission and miss what were good-hearted humorous impersonations from Djokovic, who was asked by the Italian TV host of the prize ceremony to impersonate Nadal’s serve gestures.
And these were some readers' opinions.

Quote:
Lisa from United Kingdom
4/5/2009 11:36 am
I think it was inappropriate and disrespectful. The question to ask is whether they would ever do that to Federer after one of his victories? The ATP is doing everything in its power to take Rafa off the No 1 pedestal and if they can't get someone to beat him, they've decided to humiliate him. I think it is shocking because they're missing a real opportunity to get young kids to follow in his footsteps. Tennis has never been as exciting as it is right now and its largely due to Rafael Nadal. Every match he plays becomes a nailbiter and the stadiums are packed. But, Rafa has great moral and mental strength and he will go on to become the world's greatest player ever!
Quote:
Dom from Australia
4/5/2009 2:21 pm
I couldn't agree more - as an Australian of Italian origin I was embarrased at the complete lack of class shown by the Italian organsiers to allow their host to ruin another one of Rafas winning moments. As usual Rafa handled the situation with the true grace of an all time champ!! Vamos Rafa for the rest of the year - an amazing year already!!
Quote:
Florence from Hong Kong, China
4/5/2009 3:54 pm
I was shocked too. That old woman probably thought she was in a stand up show or something like that instead of a renown international tennis tournament. After this incidence, I am sure more and more people will realize how good Rafa is. The way how he reacted gracefully once again proved that he is not just a great tennis player, but a wonderful person. I believe the more disrespectful act they throw on him will only make him a stronger man.
Rafa, you are not alone, we are with you.
Quote:
Cecilia, Cayman Islands
4/5/2009 7:39 pm
I also think it was a bit inappropriate. Even if it was done "in good humour", come on, there is a time and a place for things like that and that was NOT it, in my opinion.
Quote:
Lynne, US
4/5/2009 11:08 pm
That old woman with the mike ought to be put
out to grass. Djocko's tired old joke is mean
and spiteful. Hope Rafa gives him a thrashing
when they next meet.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_21192.shtml
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About Djokovic Rafa impersonation in Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seville View Post
In Typically Spanish, an online newspaper for English-speaking residents in Spain, readers discuss about Djokovic's reluctant Rafa impersonation in Rome, during the trophy ceremony.

First, the news

And these were some readers' opinions.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_21192.shtml

I too find what Djokovic did totally offensive. Rafa is so well mannered that he didn't show his irritation. It's really a shame for the Italian organizers to contemlate such a thing. As for Djokovic the less said is better. Vamos Rafa!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
country flag zero060891

zero060891 is on a distinguished road

I think that was not an offensive act from Djokovic, it was done only for fun. Djokovic is also good-mannered, especially when he loses. It was just a harmless joke, no more, no less. Despite being a big Rafa fan, I know Rafa should not pull the short such regularly. Rafa himself also said that one time before. Since it's a bad habit, friends can make fun of it (without being disrespectful).

The truly offensive imitation came from Robin Soderling two years ago at Wimbledon.

Last edited by zero060891 : 05-05-2009 at 06:23 AM.
zero060891 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

oh my god these people are fuckin uptight
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

those reasons alone are way the rafa fangirls are hated, uptight old slags.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhammaTiger View Post
I too find what Djokovic did totally offensive. Rafa is so well mannered that he didn't show his irritation. It's really a shame for the Italian organizers to contemlate such a thing. As for Djokovic the less said is better. Vamos Rafa!!!
Djokovic handled the situation very well, I think.

I thought that it was a bit inapropriate of the Italian lady to put both players on the spot like that but both players handled it really well. Rafa by encouraging Novak to go on with it because it was obvious that Djokovic didn't like being put on the spot like that and Novak by doing a very mild impersonation.

Last edited by Castafiore : 05-05-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

The one to blame is the Italian lady. The two player handled it very well and what can I say? Nole's past mistakes will haunt him for ever
Nothing to be outraged about, IMO

EDIT: Actually I felt more embarrassed for Nole than for Rafa
acionescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
country flag sphiie

sphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond reputesphiie has a reputation beyond repute

I also felt very embarrassed for Rafael and Novak. This pink lady should not ask this tough topic (Djokovic's impersonation) in front of Rafael... We saw how these 2 players were embarrassed.

We saw from Novaks's face that he was very embarassed (he was hiding his face...)
But Rafael again who is such a wise and nice person let Novak did it although this one didn't want to do it... I thought Rafael would be furious but finally not. It shows how respectful there are, but this impersonation is quite.. ok funny but... I don't know what to think about it...

If Rafael would have lose, I don't think he would react like this lol

1 Australian open, 4 Roland garros, 1 Wimbledon... what's next?

36 TITLES

Ce gars est juste phénoméNadal...
sphiie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

they both handled it perfectly, imo. The lady was dreadful, asking Nole to imitate the guy who just beat him. :retard: It wasn't very well done of her.

I think I'm disliking Nole less than I used to.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Djokovic handled the situation very well, I think.

I thought that it was a bit inapropriate of the Italian lady to put both players on the spot like that but both players handled it really well. Rafa by encouraging Novak to go on with it because it was obvious that Djokovic didn't like being put on the spot like that and Novak by doing a very mild impersonation.
I totally agree.
Nole had made a Sharapova impersonation at the ceremony when he won in Rome a year ago. It would've been wiser from the lady not to ask for an impersonation this year any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acionescu View Post
The one to blame is the Italian lady. The two player handled it very well and what can I say? Nole's past mistakes will haunt him for ever
Nothing to be outraged about, IMO
Exactly. I don't know if she/the organizers don't have a sense of what's appropriate at such a ceremony and what not. But well...
Rafa acts just so naturally in every situation, it's absolutely amazing. I think he and Nole have talked about it (among other things) and they seem to get along fine now so I don't think Rafa was that offended. As you said it wasn't such a big deal anyway in the end.
I think Federer was the one who was most offended by Nole's impersonation and that's where his dislike for Nole takes its roots and that's why Nole quit doing them.
Nole can be a gracious loser and I must say I don't dislike him any more either.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
country flag wildegirl05
¡Hala Madrid!

wildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
Nole can be a gracious loser and I must say I don't dislike him any more either.
what?

i am going to have to bring back my just say no signature

i blame hema. linda is right to not want to meet her
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
What penalty? Messi dived.
wildegirl05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

weaklings and backsliders.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
country flag wildegirl05
¡Hala Madrid!

wildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
weaklings and backsliders.
for sure if you cannot expect consistency in hating, i really don't know what mtf is coming to these days.
Quote:
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero060891 View Post
Since it's a bad habit, friends can make fun of it (without being disrespectful).
:retard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post

:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

wg We'll always have each other.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
country flag wildegirl05
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post

:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:
seconded.

Quote:
wg We'll always have each other.
thanks linda if you ever show signs of thawing towards nole, i might have to leave mtf
Quote: