Roma - La Vita Ŕ Bella! (Sometimes :p) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #46
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roma - La Vita Ŕ Bella! (Sometimes :p)

Seriously Pam, I wonder what would you or other player do in his place if you just lost the 3rd match in a row after being one set and double break ahead and it was you last year on tour. It's not the case of 'you can't win them all' Far from it. He didn't return the serve on match point. Big deal, really.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #47
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scoring Thread - Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxsword View Post
How come he won so many tournaments in a row in 2000, though, he must have been the big favorite at some point, right ?
It was like... 9 years ago. Mental issues are getting worse with age. Besides Marat's history of painful defeats after he came back from injury doesn't help either. I'm surprised that I have to tell such obvious things here.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #48
country flag mer

what year is this quote from?
Quote:
I prefer to be nobody, so nobody expects a lot from me. Nobody is putting me under pressure, you know, that you have to win and you have be one of the favourite
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #49
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post
I don't think it's a confidence issue either. there was no reason to screw up these matches like he did. He was leading at the scoreboard and got nervous? really? to reach round 2?
Steppy, I have recently watched few of his interviews after the USO win in 2000. He said that in the last set of the match he all of a sudden realized that he is playing a final, the huge crowd, he is playing Sampras, and all of a sudden got scared to win (his words!). Watching the match you can clearly see he lost focus right in that second.

I think that that's what is happening now. It's just that the matches are not a final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
what year is this quote from?
every year?
И жизнь, и слезы, и любовь.
AnnieNik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #50
country flag Meliana

Meliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond reputeMeliana has a reputation beyond repute

'pressure' is probably the word he has used most in his entire career. He feels it keenly (why I don't know, it's just how he is) and by his own admission he tries constantly to escape it, and also like he said in an interview, when you are young you don't think and you don't have doubts, when you get older you get scared and you have too many doubts (something like that). The scars over the years hang too heavily now on his shoulders
Meliana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #51
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

True, Meliana

About the pressure: my theory is that it has a lot do with his Russian root. Russian girls, am I correct? The goal is not to participate or win something. The goal is always number 1. I haven't seen a Russian athlete even smiling with a silver medal. You can see that in Dinara's case now. The Russian press is crucifying her, because Nr. 1 is not enough. She also has to have a GS title (or more ;p )

That's just IMHO.
И жизнь, и слезы, и любовь.
AnnieNik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #52
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was like... 9 years ago. Mental issues are getting worse with age. Besides Marat's history of painful defeats after he came back from injury doesn't help either. I'm surprised that I have to tell such obvious things here.
I know, he just needs his brain fixed. I just mentionned 2000 cause a feat like his 7 (?) titles ithat year seems so incongruous nowadays.

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/
luxsword is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #53
country flag Curls

Curls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond reputeCurls has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, but I don't see it like that at all ...

*deleted rest of post as I don't want to get into an argument*

==========================================

Don't cry because it's over ...
be happy because it happened.

Curls is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #54
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously Pam, I wonder what would you or other player do in his place if you just lost the 3rd match in a row after being one set and double break ahead and it was you last year on tour. It's not the case of 'you can't win them all' Far from it. He didn't return the serve on match point. Big deal, really.
He must be seriously frustrated at the moment, I agree with you.

Marat is a champion and this really shouldn't be happening to a player of such calibur.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #55
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe somebody brought up 2000, he's 29 now for pete's sake, a guy who has had tonnes of injuries and an injury that has seriously aggrevated his career since mid 2005. In 2000, he was young, he had his whole career ahead of him and he was fresh and injury free.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #56
country flag BelgianWaffle

BelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianWaffle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mental issues are getting worse with age.
Agree 2500%.
BelgianWaffle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #57
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-out View Post
Thats the thing. It's not like he can't play with these guys. He has shown that he can still play better than them! To me, getting a great start in a match should give him enough confidence to close it out. It's different if he is losing from the start (like with Monaco) and he just doesn't feel that he can come back. Such a mystery.
Annie already told about his itw after USO 2000 win. It can give you idea of what might be happening. Just these days first rounds are like finals for him.
Quote:
MS: and I think.. 'I can't believe it, I'm beating Pete Sampras in US Open, 20,000 spectators watching here, and I'm serving for the match.' You know this feeling.. you start to.. everything.. all your body starts to shake.. you don't know what do... you cannot serve, you cannot walk, you don't know where to run.. so this feeling is.. too scary.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #58
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I read on the official site forums that Marat has gone to Valencia for practice! Guess he and Igor did bag the doubles. Oh well, at least he is still trying to play..
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #59
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-out View Post
BTW, I read on the official site forums that Marat has gone to Valencia for practice! Guess he and Igor did bag the doubles. Oh well, at least he is still trying to play..
Good, that's what he and Igor should do! Work their asses off in Valencia!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
Good, that's what he and Igor should do! Work their asses off in Valencia!
yeah, getting himself in even better shape so that he could lose from 6-0 5-0 next time He needs a help from a coach or a shrink. Just working his ass off not gonna help.