Questions from a Newbie - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
country flag boxingfan

boxingfan is on a distinguished road
Default Questions from a Newbie

Ok , I would just like to say that I am interested in playing tennis, and have even found a place which is close to my house and its called david lloyd leisure center, i think they are kinda famous(atleast here in the uk) but I am not sure really how much it would cost monthly just to play tennis( im not intrested in their other stuff), other thing i would like to know is , can u lose weight if u play tennis regularly? I mean im 6 2 and a half(almost 6 3) and i weigh around 58 kgs(which makes me underweight) , so my question is , should i play tennis or not? and should i buy my racket or will they provide me with one, and do i need to wear white shorts and t shirt or can i wear trousers and a t shirt... and what about trainers, do i need any special trainers?... and if anyone know of a better place than david lloyd in glasgow area for a newbie like me , let me know.
boxingfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions from a Newbie

1) your weight doesn't matter you should play anyways.
2) You will need to buy a racket (start off with something cheap until you know you are going to stick with the game)
3) Most places will leat you wear whatever you want, but if you plan on playing in Wimbledon I would buy some tennis whites
4) You are going to want to wear shorts instead of trousers (otherwise you will get sweaty in "not so comfortable areas")
5) Trainers jew you out of money, grab a friend and learn together
6) public courts = good; private courts will empty your wallet
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I think that when he writes trainer, he means tennis shoes.

If so, then yes, you'll need special trainers.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

David Lloyd is VERY expensive. Membership is for the whole health package - swimming, gym, etc. so I wouldn't recommend it if you're only interested in tennis.

Go join a local club if there are any in your area. Rates are surprisingly good (depending on where you live), you'll make lots of friends and there is usually a club coach on site to teach you the basics.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote