********Monte Carlo '09******** - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #46
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ********Monte Carlo '09********

Best of luck to Roger in MC.

I really hope Roger is able to secure the services of a full time coach.

With Roger taking a WC........Will he still be seeded no. 2??

Hello to everyone

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #47
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Rog will still be seeded no.2

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #48
country flag Another RogFan

Another RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond reputeAnother RogFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenah View Post
My feelings are: even if he loses confidence after another loss, there seems to be no way for him to gain any confidence not playing. He would come back less fresh and a step behind those who already had played a clay-court tournament. I think that if Roger wants to restore aspects of his game he has to be out there on the court winning matches.

Allez
Finally some fresh air. What's wrong? Afraid of challenges. Come on people: I'll quote it again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenah View Post
there seems to be no way for him to gain any confidence not playing.
More than clear.
Following refers to Topspindoctor only:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
So glad we colonised Austrailia with our criminals, they seem to have matured so well...
Just another Federer fan!
Another RogFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #49
country flag Mint Chip

Mint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond reputeMint Chip has a reputation beyond repute

Rock on Fedexpress Try to win the final now
Mint Chip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #50
country flag MrChopin

MrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
He could rationalize his losses last year because he had mono and lost a lot of preparation time.

He has no such issues this year and he said so in the interview after his loss in Miami. It seems to me that he has no clue why he played so badly against Novak and without resolving that, he might get into another pressure match and break down once more.

With a month at his disposal, he could potentially seek out an experienced coach and use that person as a sounding board - maybe even turn his complete attention into the process of hiring a full time coach.

That, in my opinion, is better than playing at MC and hoping that his game magically clicks.
It's easy to speculate what needs to be done, how much a "sound-board" coach will help and such, but I don't think there is any concrete reason for going this way. How much did Fed rationalize away his losses via mono, and how much did this actually help him retain confidence? I don't think that anyone can accurately say.

The same thing that has happened with Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic in '09 was happening to him post-Wimbledon last year with the Simon loss: a complete meltdown after a dominating open set(s), and against Blake he looked slow. What got him back into "form": winning. First Olympic doubles, then squeaking through at the USO. Come Basel, he was looking very sharp, '07 sharp, even his movement. Had his back held up, I think he would have stabilized back to USO/late '07 form, which was a great place for him to be at 27-28 with 13 slams.

While getting a coach, taking time off... it may all help him, '08 indicates that playing and then winning will also get him there as well. Clay '08 indicates that he can get his game back, at least onto two feet. And one can go the other way with your "sit-out/retool solution": if he takes a month off, comes back for grass and loses to Murray or Rafa at Wimbledon, that would be a huge blow, larger than any he has suffered since Wimbledon '08, arguably even larger.

Finally, in terms of rationalization and perhaps in tune with what Roger said ("thank goodness for clay"), there is nothing for him to lose here. Rafa is the clear favorite and Murray is the current in-form player, so Roger can relax and play his way back into form, winning or losing without a ton of pressure and at least stopping the bleeding in his game with some consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Nadal will be fine by australian open......
You're like a living unforced error.
MrChopin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #51
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Federer used to take months off at a time and come back playing strong. I'm not so sure he can do that anymore. He needs matches for rhythm and more than anything needs to win for confidence and be able to play his best in the important moments. Expectations are pretty low, and he hasn't played as badly this year as early last year - at least he's winning most of the early round matches without too much trouble.

He really can't do worse than he is right now against the top 4. I think he's had fairly decent preparation this year, during the winter and before the hardcourt masters. He needs to play now.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #52
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Who exactly is this coach that Roger would retain within the next month or so? I mean is there a list of coaches out there waiting for Roger's call? If so, why didn't he take care of that after AO?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #53
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute

federer needs matches. he needs to find rhythm etc.

as long as federer is there mentally, he will play well on clay again this year. last year he had one truly bad match but otherwise he played OK.

believe it or not, federer should have the upperhand on paper against murray etc. only nadal is the MAJOR problem.
crude oil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #54
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChopin View Post
It's easy to speculate what needs to be done, how much a "sound-board" coach will help and such, but I don't think there is any concrete reason for going this way. How much did Fed rationalize away his losses via mono, and how much did this actually help him retain confidence? I don't think that anyone can accurately say.

The same thing that has happened with Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic in '09 was happening to him post-Wimbledon last year with the Simon loss: a complete meltdown after a dominating open set(s), and against Blake he looked slow. What got him back into "form": winning. First Olympic doubles, then squeaking through at the USO. Come Basel, he was looking very sharp, '07 sharp, even his movement. Had his back held up, I think he would have stabilized back to USO/late '07 form, which was a great place for him to be at 27-28 with 13 slams.

While getting a coach, taking time off... it may all help him, '08 indicates that playing and then winning will also get him there as well. Clay '08 indicates that he can get his game back, at least onto two feet. And one can go the other way with your "sit-out/retool solution": if he takes a month off, comes back for grass and loses to Murray or Rafa at Wimbledon, that would be a huge blow, larger than any he has suffered since Wimbledon '08, arguably even larger.

Finally, in terms of rationalization and perhaps in tune with what Roger said ("thank goodness for clay"), there is nothing for him to lose here. Rafa is the clear favorite and Murray is the current in-form player, so Roger can relax and play his way back into form, winning or losing without a ton of pressure and at least stopping the bleeding in his game with some consistency.
I think what you are saying that there is no guarantee that his meltdown can't happen in Rome so why waste away points and be in a lose-lose situation. That is obvious but the idea is to minimize the chances of that happening.

His interview was a shock to me in two ways. He acknowledged that he wasn't sure why he was had a meltdown (something he has never done) and his words were that he was glad HC season was over (considering that most of his titles are on HC, that was a very strange thing to say). This indicated that he needs time to think through his game a bit.

He was originally scheduled to skip MC so why did he suddenly decide to participate? It is not hard to guess that he was rushed into it because he sees a real chance to drop down to #3 or #4. At this point, I don't think he should care about his ranking but care more about his game and the adjustments he needs to make to counter not just Nadal but Murray and Djokovic.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #55
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Not a surprise. The same paranoid, knee-jerk reactions coming from the very people who didn't think Roger had a serious shot at winning the USO.

Last edited by prima donna : 04-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #56
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Roger can't hide. Unless his back is really bothering him what good is staying away for another couple weeks? I'd be one thing if the partnership with Cahill had worked out and they were spending time together. But as far as we know Roger's not working with anyone new so if not playing MC what would he be doing? Practicing in Dubai with some junior or low ranked ATP player?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #57
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

We just have to wait and see what happens in MC. The meltdown Roger had in Miami does suggest that he needs to figure out/process what is currently happening to his game. I do think he should try and seek the assistance of a full time coach..........but, easier said than done.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #58
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

The draw for MC will be out shortly. Hopefully Fed will get some decent seeds in the latter rounds. I hope hae has a good clay season. I just can't handle watching such a great player be so frustrated and down. I hope he reaches the final.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #59
country flag Spirit_fire

Spirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond reputeSpirit_fire has a reputation beyond repute

When does the draw come out??

Come on Roger Just try and get some confidence back...
Spirit_fire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #60
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_fire View Post
When does the draw come out??

Come on Roger Just try and get some confidence back...
It's not out yet, but it should be out today sometime. I'll post it up when it's released

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,928,448 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-142...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote