Roger news and articles - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #121
country flag youngbuck

youngbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond reputeyoungbuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
article Higueras talks about Rog in Spanish
http://www.publico.es/deportes/219526/federer/estancado

rough translation :

Higueras says Roger has an incredible talent and instinct and he feels the ball like very few players do, but it would be nice for him to have someone who could open his eyes in certain moments. The Nadal, Murray and Djokovic issue are not in Roger's head in Higueras' opinion; he thinks it is a technical mistake - he thiks Roger stoped improving; his shots are still good, but they are the same as years ago and meanwhile that worked in the past years, now with the new players who are used to his weapons and know what he is going to do, that doesn't work much. He thinks that Federer can improve his game, but that he doesn't always use the right style. He thinks Roger did use the right style in US Open 2008 in the semis and final - he was agressive, attacking the net and very fast and that is why he won. He also says it is a pitty that Roger and Cahill didn't work longer, because Cahill is great.

And he also said that during last year he coulnd't speak about Federer because of the contract, but now he can; he said that he was prepared to follow him all over the world and refuse the job they were offering him in America, but Roger offered him only 10 - 12 weeks in the year and he thought that was not enough to make something big on the court.

if only roger had kept him
Forget stubborn, Roger's delusional if he thinks he can get by without a full-time coach. Having a coach for only 10-12 weeks a year at this point of his career isn't going to work. He needs a full time coach and he can point to Luthi being at his side all he wants but it's obvious to everyone that Luthi is not the answer.

I really wonder what happened between him & Cahill because I'm not buying the story that's out there. He knows the sacrifice it takes being a coach, he didn't just realize it when he met Roger.
youngbuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #122
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
I really wonder what happened between him & Cahill because I'm not buying the story that's out there. He knows the sacrifice it takes being a coach, he didn't just realize it when he met Roger.
My guess is that Cahill found out the baby news when he flew to Dubai. And as a dad himself, he might think Roger would be too hand-full to fully concentrate for their relationship to yield...That's just me though. I don't buy the story either.
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #123
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
I don't disagree with everything Higueras said, but in terms of the coaching situation wouldn't it be more professional and classy NOT to talk about that in public? Tony Roche never said anything about his split with Roger. I don't think Brad Gilbert did either after he and Murray parted ways. How could Higueras be with Roger full-time if he was working with Ginepri? And if he thinks he would've been able to right the ship with Roger, why not work with him part-time in the hopes of convincing him to go full-time?
Roche and Gilbert's respective "partings" were rocky........but I don't think Higueras is saying anything sensitive

Nevertheless......I'm wondering if he would have stopped coaching Ginepri. I'm also wondering if Roger's reason for just offering a 12 week contract was because he didn't think he needed a full time coach or he wanted a trial period. For some reason, I think it's the first reason

I think Higueras made some solid points.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #124
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanchr View Post
My guess is that Cahill found out the baby news when he flew to Dubai. And as a dad himself, he might think Roger would be too hand-full to fully concentrate for their relationship to yield...That's just me though. I don't buy the story either.
I had the same thoughts...

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #125
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
Roche and Gilbert's respective "partings" were rocky........but I don't think Higueras is saying anything sensitive

Nevertheless......I'm wondering if he would have stopped coaching Ginepri. I'm also wondering if Roger's reason for just offering a 12 week contract was because he didn't think he needed a full time coach or he wanted a trial period. For some reason, I think it's the first reason

I think Higueras made some solid points.
At the time he might not have thoguht he needed a full time coach. But apparently that's what he wanted from Cahill. And if Cahill wasn't prepared to sign on to a full time arrangement I'm not sure why he ever went to Dubai. Anyway since it was only a trial and nothing had been agreed to I wish it never would have become public.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #126
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

any articles for Roger said that he will have a SON soon? > 0 <
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #127
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

is Tarik Benhabiles available?
Just like African-Americans voters have;Latinos will CRUSH the GOP for DECADES to come and no amount of Cruz,Rubio,Labrador,West,Carson,Love,Jindal,Hailey or Scott will change that.You might win the Midterms but 2016 can't come soon enough so enjoy while you can
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #128
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Roger news and articles

Journey of a megachampion

What’s it like to be the best of the best? Look to tennis sensations Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampras and Roger Federer for the answer. Each of these distinguished players has racked up more weeks ranked No. 1 than any other players on the ATP Tour. This accomplishment suggests they are not merely champions – they are mega-champions. The five stars are profoundly different from one another in personality and playing style, yet their paths to success were similar: The mega-champions experienced significant tournament victories when they were young; they were consistent performers, winning one big match after another; and when the megachampions faced opponents that challenged their ranking distinction, they didn’t quit – after a slip, they fought to regain their ranking and succeeded.

Roger Federer has realized all characteristics of a mega-champion with the exception of one – he has yet to reclaim the No. 1 ranking. At 27 years of age, time is not a luxury for the Swiss. He’s on the tail end of his prime, facing the young and eager Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Gilles Simon and others. Despite fierce competition, a look at Federer’s past accomplishments may silence the skeptics and make them believe that Federer is more likely to rise again than fall in defeat.

WINNING YOUNG – AND CONSISTENTLY
Achieving big tournament success at a young age is the first sign a player is on the path to reaching a No. 1 ranking in the ATP. If a player hasn’t claimed a big win by the time he’s in his early 20s it’s unlikely he’ll reach No. 1 – ever. Federer won his first Grand Slam singles title, Wimbledon in 2003, when he was 21. He ranked No. 1 within the year.

Mega-champions perform their best when it counts the most. Federer has consistently delivered top performances, appearing in more consecutive Grand Slam singles finals (11) than any other player beginning with the 2005 Wimbledon and ending with the 2009 Australian Open.

A Grand Slam victory gives a player the most points towards his ranking. The records of Sampras and Federer best illustrate the correlation between major tournament wins and total weeks spent at No. 1: Sampras holds the record for both, winning 14 Grand Slam titles and holding the No. 1 ranking for 286 weeks; Federer has 13 Grand Slam titles and 237 weeks on top.

SUSTAINING NO. 1 STATUS
Since the inception of the ATP Ranking System in 1973, 24 players have claimed the No. 1 ranking and most held it for less than a year. Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Sampras and Federer, however, have held the top spot three years or longer. Mega-champions have returned to the top over and over again.

Name Age of First
Grand Slam Age First
Ranked No. 1 Age of Last
Grand Slam Age Last
Ranked No. 1 Total Times
at No. 1 Weeks Ranked
at No. 1 Age
Retired
Jimmy Connors 22 22 31 31 9 268 44
John McEnroe 20 21 25 25 13 170 33
Ivan Lendl 24 23 29 28 8 270 34
Pete Sampras 19 21 31 29 11 286 31
Roger Federer 21 22 27 27 1 237 NA

Jimmy Connors
In 1974, Connors ranked No. 1 for the first time after bumping John Newcombe out of the top spot. Connors held the position for three years until Bjorn Borg claimed it in 1977, ending Connors’ 160-week streak. One week later, Connors
reclaimed No. 1 and sustained it for two more years. In 1979, Borg returned again and took back the top spot. John
McEnroe emerged as a contender and traded the No. 1 spot with Borg for 18 months. Then, after a three-year dry
spell, Connors reappeared in 1982 and reclaimed No. 1. For six months Connors and McEnroe traded the top spot until Ivan Lendl claimed the position in February 1983. Connors last held the No. 1 ranking on June 13, 1983. Between 1974 and 1983, Connors held the No. 1 ranking nine separate times.

Pete Sampras

Sampras, in comparison, held the No. 1 ranking 11 times over the course of 8 years. During that period, he lost the
No. 1 ranking four times to American rival Andre Agassi. Sampras was also dethroned by Thomas Muster, Marcelo
Rios, Carlos Moya, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Patrick Rafter. Despite hiccups in his rankings, Sampras is still heralded
as one of the greatest tennis players of all time, claiming the year-end No. 1 ranking a record six years in a row.

Roger Federer

Federer lost the No. 1 ranking to Spaniard Rafael Nadal on August 18, 2008. Since then, tennis fans and the media have been monitoring the Swiss’ every move, questioning his skill and will to regain the top spot. From a clinical perspective, sports psychologists and mental conditioning experts find it unsurprising that Federer’s ranking slipped.

“Losing his No. 1 ranking was inevitable at some point or another. Roger, like most top athletes, will use these losses to learn from his mistakes. He may experience a temporary blow to his confidence, but he will probably bounce back rather quickly,” said Patrick Cohn, Ph. D.

Mental conditioning consultant Marc Sagal agreed with Cohn: “I think he (Federer) will work hard to show that he’s not done. The history of tennis is full of examples of players who have successfully come back after serious slumps. The very fact that they have achieved elite status demonstrates the kind of mental toughness and adaptability that comes with this level of success.”

FEDERER’S FUTURE
Will Federer retire soon? Can he meet the challenge of Rafael Nadal and other young players? Can he reclaim the No. 1 ranking?

Federer has not expressed a desire to retire, so barring unforeseen injury or a mental break-down, he should be able to compete much longer. The average age of retirement for a mega-champion is 35. Sampras, at 31, was the youngest mega-champion to retire; Connors, at 44, was the oldest. The history of mega-champions suggests an early retirement by Federer is not likely.

“We’ll see a lot more of Roger. Great champions rise to that level by understanding how to manage and embrace adversity,” said Adam Naylor, sport psychology coach.

Every mega-champion has faced young, hungry, talented players rising through the ranks. It’s a predictable cycle that can create the best of rivalries and the highest quality of competition. Federer’s talent and resilience – both physically and psychologically – will undoubtedly be tested, yet the trends of past mega-champions indicate that he is favored to reclaim the top spot. On average, mega-champions ranked No. 1 on ten separate occasions throughout their careers.

“This is an opportunity to further refine his game and be able to play at perhaps the highest level the game has ever seen,” commented Naylor.

When will Federer reclaim No. 1? He lags considerably behind the course of fellow mega-champions: the majority had reclaimed No. 1 within one month of losing it. By April 2009 it will be seven months for Federer. And, his emotional five-set loss to Nadal at the 2009 Australian Open has added distance between the two top spots.

>> The career of a No. 1 ranked professional tennis player doesn’t necessarily end when his ranking slips to No. 2 – or even out of the top 100. Andre Agassi, for example, reached a No. 1 ranking for the first time April 10, 1995. A year later, he fell off the radar for almost 5 years hitting an all-time low, No. 141, on November 10, 1997. Agassi then regrouped, rebounded and rose to the top in less than two years. He reached his sixth and final No. 1 ranking on June 16, 2003. Three years later, Agassi retired at the 2006 US Open.

TOTAL WEEKS AT NO. 1 PLAYER COUNTRY WEEKS NO. 1
PETE SAMPRAS USA 286
IVAN LENDL CZE 270
JIMMY CONNORS USA 268
ROGER FEDERER SUI 237
JOHN MCENROE USA 170
Bjorn Borg SWE 109
Andre Agassi USA 101
Lleyton Hewitt AUS 80
Stefan Edberg SWE 72
Jim Courier USA 58
Gustavo Kuerten BRA 43
Ille Nastase ROM 40
Rafael Nadal SPA 27*
Mats Wilander SWE 20
Andy Roddick USA 13
Boris Becker GER 12
Marat Safin RUS 9
Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP 8
John Newcombe AUS 8
Yevgeny Kafelnikov RUS 6
Thomas Muster AUT 6
Marcelo Rios CHI 6
Carlos Moya ESP 2
Patrick Rafter AUS 1

*as of February 22, 2009

"Federer needs a new internal psychological strategy to increase his odds of winning. Roger's mental coach needs to help him find motivation and a mental gear which will load his game up with confidence, calmness and focus," said Jay Granat, Ph.D.

In addition, many experts agree that Federer requires intense physical conditioning and a greater arsenal of weapons to reclaim No. 1. In the event that he never takes back the coveted top spot, Federer will own a new record: the first mega-champion to not reclaim No. 1.

Give the Swiss a little more time.

Source: http://www.tennisviewmag.com/issue04_rogerfederer.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #129
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou so much!!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #130
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer refocuses in Rome after wedding
By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer

ROME (AP)—Roger Federer has refocused on tennis after getting married and then promptly losing to fellow Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters.

The 13-time Grand Slam winner spent the last week in intensive training with fitness coach Pierre Paganini, grinding out daily four-hour practice sessions on Italian clay courts.

“I’m expecting big things from myself, especially looking ahead for the French Open,” Federer said Sunday on the eve of the Rome Masters, a key clay-court tuneup for Roland Garros, which begins May 25. “I would like to go extremely far there and create the opportunity to win the one slam I haven’t won yet.

“Monaco for me was just, ‘Let’s see how it goes,”’ the second-ranked Federer said. “With the wedding before I didn’t have the preparation. … I didn’t expect to win the tournament, so I don’t think we have to look too much into how I played there.

“I was missing serves and missing forehands. That’s what I was trying to tighten up now, in this last week, when I was practicing extremely hard. I hope that this week it’s going to show a little bit.”

Federer entered Monte Carlo immediately after marrying longtime girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec. The straight-set loss to Wawrinka stretched his title drought to seven tournaments.

Federer said he concentrated on his movement with Paganini and had 219th-ranked Stefan Koubek along as a hitting partner.

“The movement part is the big part on clay. The best clay-court players are the ones that move the best,” Federer said, adding that his back troubles are long behind him.

Federer was upset by Radek Stepanek in the Rome quarterfinals last year. He will likely open up against Ivo Karlovic this time if the big-serving Croatian gets by a qualifier.

In the rankings, No. 3 Novak Djokovic and No. 4 Andy Murray are starting to pressure Federer, who has lost contact with top-ranked Rafael Nadal.

“I don’t necessarily need to get to No. 1; I just need to win the French Open,” Federer said. “That’s what my goal is.

“For me, it doesn’t matter if I’m 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 10 in the world. For me, it’s either No. 1 or somewhere else. Especially for me, who has been No. 1 for so long and won so many titles,” Federer said. “If you’re not No. 1 then it’s about winning titles and getting back No. 1. That’s the position I’m in now.”

Federer has reached the final twice in Rome, losing to Felix Mantilla in 2003 and to Nadal in a fifth-set tiebreaker in 2006.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #131
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #132
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

There is an interview with Stefan Koubek in the press which I translated:

Quote:

Interview by Christian Frühwald

"Wife and children won't burden Roger"

Stefan Koubek is keeping his fingers crossed for Federer at the French Open

Vienna - Last week many tennis fans would have loved to swap places with Stefan Koubek

The 32years old guy from Kärten had the honour to train a whole week with superstar Roger Federer on Sardinia.

As sparring partner the Austrian Daviscupplayer should partake in helping Federer finding his form on clay, in order to start once again a run to get the first French Open title.

"The training was extremely strong", Koubek tells in an interview with LAOLA1 after his home running from Italy. "It was impressive, how good and how much Roger is training."

Beside this Koubek is revealing what he can take away from this trainingsweek, why he wasn't present at the Federer wedding and how he is assessing the chances of Federer in Paris.

LAOLA1: Last week you were allowed to spend a trainingsweek with Roger Federer and his team on Sardinia. How did the training with such a superstar went?

Stefan Koubek: It was really great. The traning was extremely strong and good. I was lucky to be able to work with Roger's physiotherapist as well, otherwise I don't know if I would have bore the week. I had lots of fun and was impressed how good and how much he is training. Before I thought he wouldn't do that much.

LAOLA1: How exactly did the training run?

Koubek: It's a combination of a lot of things, not just on the court. Before the tennistraining he always did a fitness training. Afterwards he took a massage and so on. It's a long procedure. To get up early in the morning, training, to loosen. During the lunchbreak we had something to eat and then went back to practicing. One day in the week we had the half day off, but were on court from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Of course there was the fitness training before again.

LAOLA1: Did you practice anything special?

Koubek: We started with drills and played a few points afterwards. At bottom this is nothing diffent which I would usually do in practice. The level is of course totally different and this time I was the sparringspartner. I did all the practices like Roger. It was a common practice of. We both benefit from it.

LAOLA1: How did this whole trainingsweek arise?

Koubek: His coach asked me at the start of the season what I would be doing at this time of the yearand respectively in the summer. He wanted to know whether I would like to practice with Roger. No question I was interested in it. I told him he should say me a date. When I don't play a tournament at that time I would be available.

LAOLA1: You are a friend of Federer for several years. How is your relationship to him these days?

Koubek: We are still good friends, but of course we didn't have that much contact in the last years as before because he has a lot of things to do. We still get along really well and had a blast on Sardinia. We always joked in the training.

LAOLA1: You weren't present at the wedding, right?

Koubek: No, I was already in Southafrica at that time. Roger's wedding took place in a really small group. Allegro and Chiudinelli were the only tennisplayers who were there. They know each other since their boyhood. .

LAOLA1: Do you think that Federer has changed because of the wedding? Is he more loose or relaxed or do you think it could even have a negative impact?

Koubek: I don't think his wedding has any impact on his tennis. It will be something different when his child is born. This can go in both directions. I think he is still really motivated and is going to play tennis for a couple of years. He can afford it to take his child with him on the tour. I'm not worried that it will stress him.

LAOLA1: You are on the tour for many years and an experienced player. What can you take with you from such a practice with Roger Federer?

Koubek: You can adopt several things, although there are a couple which would be helpful, but I can't realise them. For example no "normal" player can afford to have a masseur, a tennis coach, a fitnesscoach and someone to restring the rackets. But you can really adopt many things from Roger, who is the best player in the world for me. His physical state is really impressive. He is moving very well and is extremely fit.

LAOLA1: How do you rate his chances at the French Open this year?

Koubek: Nadal is in a class of it's own on clay for sure, but Roger can tame him on a good day. The opportunities are there. I wish for Roger that he is going to get the title in Paris. For me he is the best tennisplayer of all time and a victory in Roland Garros would only prove it.
Source: http://www.laola1.at/128+M59722665055.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #133
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Doris. Nice interview with Stefan.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #134
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny Mac advise Federer? You cannot be serious!
By MELISSA MURPHY, AP Sports Writer

While McEnroe would like to give the 13-time Grand Slam champion some pointers on how to snap out of his winless season, the mild-mannered Federer isn’t quite taking him up on the offer. McEnroe told a French weekly that he’d like to help the Swiss star get on track after Federer lost in the semifinals of the Miami Masters.

“I guess anybody would like to give me advice,” Federer said at the Rome Masters. “So I don’t think that’s a crazy comment we should look into much.”

With the French Open looming, Federer is gearing up for another possible match against top-ranked Rafael Nadal, who has defeated Federer in their last five meetings. Federer is still seeking a win at Roland Garros, the one major title that has eluded him.

McEnroe has some ideas on how the second-ranked Federer can beat Nadal on clay.

“Take the ball earlier and not get pulled off the court,” McEnroe said in a phone interview from Los Angeles on Tuesday. “Nadal has a lefty slice out wide. Roger is content to get into a rally, and not attack the net, which is difficult on clay because of the slipping and sliding.”

After getting married April 11, Federer lost in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters, and his record fell to 18-5 this year.

“There’s an argument that he doesn’t need a coach and an argument that he could use some help with someone, which he’s done in the past,” said McEnroe, a seven-time singles Grand Slam winner. “He won 11 majors in four years. And back in my prime, I’d laugh at them (who offered advice).

“If he wants my input, we have people that represents us. It’s a phone call away.”

On Wednesday, Federer is scheduled to play 6-foot-10 Ivo Karlovic of Croatia in Rome. It’s a clay-court tuneup for the French Open, which begins May 25.

“At this stage, he’d have to have a lot of things fall his way to win it,” McEnroe said. “If Nadal is healthy, he seems virtually unbeatable on clay. In a best of five, he’s one of the fittest guys on tour.”

Federer said he spoke with McEnroe during the “Showdown of Champions” in November. He played James Blake and McEnroe faced his old nemesis Bjorn Borg in a series of exhibitions in Macau and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

“I spent time with him in the Asian exhibitions,” Federer said. “We were there together and talked tennis like I did with James and Bjorn. So we had a good time over there.”

Federer is one shy of Pete Sampras’ all-time Grand Slam record of 14 titles. McEnroe believes Federer will break the record with titles at Wimbledon or the U.S. Open.

McEnroe, in Los Angles to promote an ad campaign about prostate health for men over 50, said he won’t be too upset if Federer doesn’t call.

“The few times people asked me to help in past, no one listened to a word I said,” McEnroe said of Boris Becker, Sergi Bruguera and Mark Philippoussis.

AP Sports Writer Andrew Dampf in Rome contributed to this report.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 AM   #135
country flag ORGASMATRON
Banned!

ORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond reputeORGASMATRON has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Federer refocuses in Rome after wedding
By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer

ROME (AP)—Roger Federer has refocused on tennis after getting married and then promptly losing to fellow Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters.

The 13-time Grand Slam winner spent the last week in intensive training with fitness coach Pierre Paganini, grinding out daily four-hour practice sessions on Italian clay courts.

“I’m expecting big things from myself, especially looking ahead for the French Open,” Federer said Sunday on the eve of the Rome Masters, a key clay-court tuneup for Roland Garros, which begins May 25. “I would like to go extremely far there and create the opportunity to win the one slam I haven’t won yet.

“Monaco for me was just, ‘Let’s see how it goes,”’ the second-ranked Federer said. “With the wedding before I didn’t have the preparation. … I didn’t expect to win the tournament, so I don’t think we have to look too much into how I played there.

“I was missing serves and missing forehands. That’s what I was trying to tighten up now, in this last week, when I was practicing extremely hard. I hope that this week it’s going to show a little bit.”

Federer entered Monte Carlo immediately after marrying longtime girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec. The straight-set loss to Wawrinka stretched his title drought to seven tournaments.

Federer said he concentrated on his movement with Paganini and had 219th-ranked Stefan Koubek along as a hitting partner.

“The movement part is the big part on clay. The best clay-court players are the ones that move the best,” Federer said, adding that his back troubles are long behind him.

Federer was upset by Radek Stepanek in the Rome quarterfinals last year. He will likely open up against Ivo Karlovic this time if the big-serving Croatian gets by a qualifier.

In the rankings, No. 3 Novak Djokovic and No. 4 Andy Murray are starting to pressure Federer, who has lost contact with top-ranked Rafael Nadal.

“I don’t necessarily need to get to No. 1; I just need to win the French Open,” Federer said. “That’s what my goal is.

“For me, it doesn’t matter if I’m 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 10 in the world. For me, it’s either No. 1 or somewhere else. Especially for me, who has been No. 1 for so long and won so many titles,” Federer said. “If you’re not No. 1 then it’s about winning titles and getting back No. 1. That’s the position I’m in now.”

Federer has reached the final twice in Rome, losing to Felix Mantilla in 2003 and to Nadal in a fifth-set tiebreaker in 2006.
Daniel you should at least link to the original post
ORGASMATRON is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote