Roger news and articles - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #106
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever1980 View Post
I have stopped reading his articles in a while. He offers nothing more than speculations, I rather read MTF.
A terrible media-vulture, continuously spreading stupid rumours without ever backing them up.
Even worse: no-one ever seems to be able to call him out on that fact, as he apparently censors the comments being allowed to be posted on his site. Yuck.

Quote:
Aww.. Now I get that smiley. BTW, I am glad your friend is clear of cancer.
- not entirely free, yet. Four weeks of chemo to follow after amputation. But the outlooks are a lot better than was initially stated, thanks providence. Thanks for your concern, so much appreciated!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #107
country flag clever1980

clever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Dream View Post
A terrible media-vulture, continuously spreading stupid rumours without ever backing them up.
Even worse: no-one ever seems to be able to call him out on that fact, as he apparently censors the comments being allowed to be posted on his site. Yuck.
No wonder many tennis fans don't like him.

Quote:
- not entirely free, yet. Four weeks of chemo to follow after amputation. But the outlooks are a lot better than was initially stated, thanks providence. Thanks for your concern, so much appreciated!

I guess we have to be optimistic, think positive. I have a friend who survived lymphoma for almost 9 years now. Docs gave her months to live. But she was very strong. After chemo, radiation, she lives. Sometimes, I wonder if her positive way of thinking and love she received from her family gave her another chance.
clever1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #108
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess we have to be optimistic, think positive. I have a friend who survived lymphoma for almost 9 years now. Docs gave her months to live. But she was very strong. After chemo, radiation, she lives. Sometimes, I wonder if her positive way of thinking and love she received from her family gave her another chance.
Thanks so much for your kind words.
Well Sigi will survive as well. I'm pretty sure about that. Not going into details here right now, it's too late, and I've posted enough rubbish tonight already...

See you laters, Fedfans, gonna crash right now!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #109
country flag clever1980

clever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks so much for your kind words.
Well Sigi will survive as well. I'm pretty sure about that. Not going into details here right now, it's too late, and I've posted enough rubbish tonight already...

See you laters, Fedfans, gonna crash right now!
Good night Karin.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #110
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

S. WAWRINKA/R. Federer

6‑4, 7‑5

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Was it kind of just bad timing all day today, with the weather and everything? Did that have any effect on how it went today?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I mean, I thought the conditions were fine to play, you know. They were pretty heavy, obviously, you know, because there was no sunshine, and wet courts, so that made it kind of tough to get a lot of free points on the serve.
But I thought I had decent timing on my backhand. You know, I was playing it okay, trying to mix it up as well. But, you know, my forehand was hurting me in the beginning. I was making a few too many errors. That kind of gave him the advantage.
It was unfortunate. But I thought Stan played well. It was okay.

Q. Do you feel when you don't have the timing on the forehand, do you know pretty quickly it's going to be a tough day?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really. It's normal for me to miss forehands. I don't just push them in. I usually try to go for it and be aggressive on it, you know.
But it got better towards the end. But still I just struggled. I guess it was Stan's game. He did a good job today. He kept the ball in play. He was just better, so it was okay.

Q. Does it hurt more or less to lose to Stan?
ROGER FEDERER: Less for me anyway (smiling).

Q. Do you think you had enough preparation on clay? Is that part of the problem coming in?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it's the problem for everyone. Are you going to ask this of everyone who loses this week? You're going to get the same answer. Nobody had a preparation. So it's a difficult one, you know. Slim excuse, because it's the same for everyone.

Q. Do you think playing two matches here in Monte‑Carlo will help for the next tournaments?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, this I don't know. I hope it will. I think what it helps is knowing what I need to work on, you know, next week. That's always been one of the reasons why I came here to Monaco without preparation. I've tried it differently, not playing Monaco I think maybe for two years, and using that as a serious buildup. Now I've always sort of decided to come here, see what happens. Actually I've done really well.
That's why I came again this year, because it just gives you information going into your practice sessions, you know, what you need to work on. Today definitely my serve wasn't working. I haven't served my best throughout the season, so I have to make sure I get my serve back in, you know, going well for me because I just don't hit the spots when I really want to.
Not that I expect, you know, 10 aces a set here on this type of heavy clay, but I just think it's something I need to work on,you know, make sure my timing gets right, my footwork gets right, and my forehand, that I use it the right way.
It just showed me again this week what I need to work on for next week. That's why I think it was good to come here. Look, I didn't expect myself to dominate everybody this week. I knew it was going to be difficult. Playing Stan in the second round I thought was always going to be difficult for me because this is his place here.
I got close, you know, but not good enough to beat him today.

Q. Is there any way you will try to play next week or will you just practice?
ROGER FEDERER: I'll play for a week, but on the practice courts.

Q. Does it make any difference to lose to another Swiss?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I'm out of the tournament, you know, so it doesn't matter who you lose against.
I'm happy for him that he's, you know, progressed so much over the last couple years. He's finally making a push, you know, getting close to top players and beating top players like myself. I think it's great for him. The beginning of the clay court season, he's already playing really well. That's stuff he couldn't really do three seasons going because he got injured or he had tough draws or he played one horrible match which took away this is confidence.
And this year and last year I think it's all sort of coming together for him. I'm happy for him. Like I told him, the loss doesn't hurt as much just because I know it's against a good guy, so...

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #111
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

article Higueras talks about Rog in Spanish
http://www.publico.es/deportes/219526/federer/estancado

rough translation :

Higueras says Roger has an incredible talent and instinct and he feels the ball like very few players do, but it would be nice for him to have someone who could open his eyes in certain moments. The Nadal, Murray and Djokovic issue are not in Roger's head in Higueras' opinion; he thinks it is a technical mistake - he thiks Roger stoped improving; his shots are still good, but they are the same as years ago and meanwhile that worked in the past years, now with the new players who are used to his weapons and know what he is going to do, that doesn't work much. He thinks that Federer can improve his game, but that he doesn't always use the right style. He thinks Roger did use the right style in US Open 2008 in the semis and final - he was agressive, attacking the net and very fast and that is why he won. He also says it is a pitty that Roger and Cahill didn't work longer, because Cahill is great.

And he also said that during last year he coulnd't speak about Federer because of the contract, but now he can; he said that he was prepared to follow him all over the world and refuse the job they were offering him in America, but Roger offered him only 10 - 12 weeks in the year and he thought that was not enough to make something big on the court.

if only roger had kept him

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #112
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

that can't be change now, just hope Roger can find a good coach in the future~~~
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #113
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
article Higueras talks about Rog in Spanish
http://www.publico.es/deportes/219526/federer/estancado

rough translation :

Higueras says Roger has an incredible talent and instinct and he feels the ball like very few players do, but it would be nice for him to have someone who could open his eyes in certain moments. The Nadal, Murray and Djokovic issue are not in Roger's head in Higueras' opinion; he thinks it is a technical mistake - he thiks Roger stoped improving; his shots are still good, but they are the same as years ago and meanwhile that worked in the past years, now with the new players who are used to his weapons and know what he is going to do, that doesn't work much. He thinks that Federer can improve his game, but that he doesn't always use the right style. He thinks Roger did use the right style in US Open 2008 in the semis and final - he was agressive, attacking the net and very fast and that is why he won. He also says it is a pitty that Roger and Cahill didn't work longer, because Cahill is great.

And he also said that during last year he coulnd't speak about Federer because of the contract, but now he can; he said that he was prepared to follow him all over the world and refuse the job they were offering him in America, but Roger offered him only 10 - 12 weeks in the year and he thought that was not enough to make something big on the court.

if only roger had kept him

It wasn't simple with Jose. He was also Ginepri's coach at that time and I remember him saying that he would also be coaching Ginepri. With that situation, I wonder if Roger actually felt comfortable hiring him full-time so Jose's recent statement that he could have been with Roger full-time seems like a contradiction.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #114
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, i had forgotten about Ginepri

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #115
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with everything Higueras said, but in terms of the coaching situation wouldn't it be more professional and classy NOT to talk about that in public? Tony Roche never said anything about his split with Roger. I don't think Brad Gilbert did either after he and Murray parted ways. How could Higueras be with Roger full-time if he was working with Ginepri? And if he thinks he would've been able to right the ship with Roger, why not work with him part-time in the hopes of convincing him to go full-time?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #116
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

The Federer Fade

How a tennis god lost his topspin.

As a boy tennis player who was more interested in style than in victory, and as a tennis fan of nearly 60 years' standing, I can think of no greater delight than to watch Roger Federer at play. Soon to be 28, Federer was, between 2004 and 2008, the No. 1-ranked player in the world. During much of that time he was without near peer; dominating tennis, he won 13 Grand Slam championships. It was only a matter of time, or so everyone thought, before he would close in on and surpass Pete Sampras, who in his career won 14 Grand Slams—more than any other player in the history of the game.

Now it looks, alas, as if Federer may not make it. He looks the same, hits the ball with the same intensity, has the same on-court elegance of bearing. Something vital, though, is missing. Federer is currently ranked No. 2 in the world, behind the Spaniard Rafael Nadal, whom he seems unable to beat. Lately, he's losing to people you've never heard of—this week, in the third round at Monte Carlo, in straight sets to a fellow Swiss player named Stanislas Wawrinka. It is painful, if inevitable, to watch; even more painful to ponder why it's happening.

Federer's grandeur has never been about statistics; it has been about perfection, about playing the game more perfectly than anyone had hitherto imagined it could be played, and doing it over and over again through a long stretch of top-level competition.

Sampras had a more dominating serve, as does Andy Roddick today; Donald Budge and the Australian Ken Rosewall had more accurate backhands; John McEnroe was more adept at volleying; Nadal has a more devastating forehand. While not supreme in any of these discrete elements, Federer nonetheless has performed them all with an unmatched combination of grace and efficiency that could only have encouraged a feeling of utter hopelessness in those up against him.

He is 6 feet 1, perhaps 180 pounds, an impressively average size in a game with more and more male players of over 6 feet 4. He does not avail himself of a coach, part of the retinue of the contemporary successful tennis pro. And Federer doesn't argue; he doesn't throw tantrums on court. He doesn't, as Nadal and so many other players, male and female, do, grunt orgasmically as he strokes the ball.

Roger Federer's sang-froid and good manners have gone a long way to retrieve tennis from wretched excess and to revive it as a game of tactics, skill and elegance. A small corps of elite athletes have rendered esthetic pleasure of this kind. In boxing, there was Sugar Ray Robinson and, later, Muhammad Ali. In baseball, there was Joe DiMaggio and Willie Mays; in football, Joe Montana. In basketball, Julius Erving did so, as did, more emphatically, Michael Jordan. Tiger Woods does it for people who watch golf, Pelé used to do it for soccer fans. All these figures add a touch of poetry to the games they play, and thereby elevate their sport to something greater than itself.

Apollonian is the way I think of these artist-athletes. In Greek mythology, Apollo and Dionysius are the sons of Zeus, with Apollo the god of the sun, lightness, music, poetry. Apollo typically represents wholeness and civilization, as opposed to Dionysius, who represents individualism and primal nature. In style and manner, Federer is the pure type of the Apollonian, while his great adversary, Rafael Nadal, is Dionysian. Or, if one prefers to come down from Olympus, Federer is Athens, Nadal is Sparta.

And, of late, Sparta has been beating the hell out of Athens. True, Federer appeared in three Grand Slam finals in 2008, and won one of them (the U.S. Open), which for any other player would be a glorious year. He is still capable of supplying what the late novelist David Foster Wallace, a Federer admirer, called Federer Moments: "These are times, as you watch the young Swiss play, when the jaw drops and eyes protrude and sounds are made that bring spouses in from other rooms to see if you're OK." But recently Federer Moments seem fewer. He has not won a Masters ATP tournament in the past two years. Ordinary human mistakes in his game are now more common. The number of his unforced errors sometimes exceed those of his opponents. Something strange is happening.

Neither age nor injury appears to be Federer's problem. Throughout his career, he has never had to "retire" from a match owing to injury or exhaustion. Nor does his having had so much success—having grown complacent on victory and spiritually fat on money—seem likely. His recent marriage to his longtime lady-friend and manager seems unlikely to have had much to do with his downward slide.

Might it be that Roger Federer, having attained perfection, has nowhere to go but down? Can anyone concentrate on one thing—in this case, year after year being the last one to return a small fuzzy ball within the lines of a tennis court—for as long as he has? His confidence is on the run; his aura of invincibility, shattered. Upstarts, sensing the weakness of the grand lion who once led the pride, are closing in. In a recent match against Novak Djokovic, the even-tempered Federer, in a moment of angry frustration, smashed his own racquet against the ground.

Perfection in sports, or any other realm, for that matter, has been given to few, and even then it is never an outright gift but more on the order of a temporary loan. Athletes may hold it on the briefest terms of all. Although I hope that I am completely wrong, and that Roger Federer comes roaring back to win many more Grand Slams, my ineluctable sense is that, for this great athlete whose skill has given me so much pleasure, the loan is due and payback time, sadly, is at hand.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194479
Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #117
country flag clever1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
The Federer Fade

How a tennis god lost his topspin.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194479
Here we go again. Newsweek has nothing better to print?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #118
country flag SUKTUEN

I dislike the topic
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #119
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

Larri Passos(Guga Kuerten's old coach)who not long ago said he would have loved to coach Roger is coaching Daniela Hantuchova now
4) Congress set the rules on dealing with child migrants under the Bush administration:Most of this process was codified by Congress under the Homeland Security Act of 2002; Congress added some additional protections under the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, in 2008. http://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5813406...mmigrants-daca

*After DECADES of THUG GOP Presidents arming,supporting,financing Latin American Dictators,chickens are coming home to roost.GOP You OWN THIS.The more you insult them the longer ya'll will pay.What a week.RIP GOP/TeaKLAN
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #120
country flag Elora
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here we go again. Newsweek has nothing better to print?
I dont even bother to read anymore

Roger and Rafa fan
Elora is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote