Roger news and articles - Page 77 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #1141
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

I've said b4 that I believe Rog can win 20 gs by the end of his career, will he is the question, and i say he will. I've got alot of faith in the guy and even if he falls short, still GOAT in my eyes anyways. But 20 is the ideal no. for him.
dabeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #1142
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

The lost art of tennis

Roger Federer of Switzerland shakes hands with Michael Llodra (L) of France after their match at the Rogers Cup tennis tournament in Toronto August 12, 2010.

Bruce Arthur, National Post · Thursday, Aug. 12, 2010

TORONTO — The last time Roger Federer played Michael Llodra, they were just boys, 18 and 19 years old, freshly professional. It was the quarter-finals of a 1999 minor-league Challenger event in Brest, in Llodra’s native France; Federer prevailed 6-3, 6-3 and went on to take the tournament, the only Challenger he ever won. He went on to bigger and better things, in case you hadn’t heard.

On Thursday, a lifetime later, the two men met again in the third round of the Rogers Cup at York University, on a beautiful, breezy day. They are 29 and 30 now, with wives, children, history. But for an afternoon — with Llodra’s old-school serve-and-volley game drawing out Federer’s matchless creativity — tennis was truly fun again.

“His technique is wonderful,” Federer said on the court after his 7-6 (2), 6-2, spin-and-grin victory. “It was a pleasure to play against him again.”

It was a pleasure to watch, too. Llodra has spent the past decade bouncing in and out of the top 100 until rising into the top 35 this year, and the two men were dead even until the first-set tiebreak, in which Federer seized control for good.

But the Parisian’s style changes everything — it creates different angles and a different challenge, and Federer was engaged. Twice, the former No. 1 hit looping, full-pace forehands that barely cleared the net and dove like kamikaze pilots at Llodra’s dancing feet; once, Federer hit a tight, truncated lob from the mid-court that sailed seamlessly over Llodra’s head.

Llodra, meanwhile, delivered bursts of unexpected joy. A pirouette half-chip here, a between-the-legs volley there, and one rally in which the two men seemed to tacitly agree that nothing after the serve would break the speed limit, and instead exchanged floating slices and dreamy drop shots.

And trailing 4-1 and 15-40, Llodra slipped in the first underhanded serve Roger Federer has even seen in a match that matters. The serve spun wildly away from the Swiss maestro and off the end of his racquet, and both Llodra and Federer laughed as the sun-bleached crowd gasped, then applauded.

“I just want to make something special,” shrugged Llodra, in the Gallic style. When asked if he had ever tried an underhand serve before, he smiled and said, “Yeah. But not in the match.”

At the professional level tennis can be a grim march, a merciless meritocracy, all pressure and demands. Federer handles it better than most, but remember how he wept after losing the 2009 Australian Open to Rafael Nadal? The way he was shaken by the epic loss to Nadal at Wimbledon in 2008? To be No. 1 requires ceaseless focus and grace under pressure, over weeks and months and years.

“I’d rather be focused and be around for many matches than, you know, play the clown and be only here for one match,” Federer said. “It’s always a fine line to know how much can you really laugh, how much can you have fun. But today, I know my opponent so well and, having a lot of fun points, I think it was really a possibility to have more fun out there.”

Not only that, but the game has become dominated by booming baseline play, which Federer never loved, but mastered anyway. Llodra’s chip-and-charge style is gravely endangered, and will soon be extinct.

“There were some good [shots] out there, some unusual shots, you know — like the lob, the passing shots, the little flick stuff,” Federer said. “I remember that’s how I played the whole time coming up, and then I had to improve so much on my baseline game because all the guys leading the rankings, like [Juan Carlos] Ferrero and [David] Nalbandian and [Lleyton] Hewitt and [Marat] Safin, and [Andy] Roddick even — I mean, they were all playing from the baseline.

“It is fun playing that kind of a style once in a while. I kind of miss it, obviously.”

When it was over and done, Llodra and Federer embraced at the net, smiling like the old friends they have become over years on the same Tour. A minute later Llodra removed his shirt, walked over to Federer and in French, asked for his in exchange. Federer laughed and complied, stripping off the salmon pink number he’ll be sporting all week.

“I don’t know where my head was when I chose pink, but I like it, you know?” Federer said later.

Llodra affectionately patted Federer on the cheek and strolled off the court bare-chested, carrying his trophy. Federer, still grinning like a schoolboy, quickly donned a replacement. “He’s won a couple of tournaments this year; I’ve only won one, so he’s doing better,” he joked in the on-court interview.

“I’ve known him 16 years, and he’s older [by] one year, so I couldn’t say no,” Federer said afterwards. It was the third time he had been asked by a fellow player, he said, and he has complied each time. “The guy one time, it was in the elevator coming back from the match, in Bangkok. He was a Brazilian.”

“You know, for me, Roger is in the legends,” Llodra said, “so it’s a good present for my kids. I talk in French, but I say, ‘You have no [choice]. Give me your shirt.’”

Life could become grim again soon — Federer will face No. 7 Tomas Berdych today, who has beaten him twice this year, including a psyche-shaking loss in the quarter-finals that snapped Federer’s run of six straight titles at Wimbledon. The pressure never truly goes away.

But for an afternoon after all these years the old times were back and the two men were like boys again, making the ball dance, laughing in the sun.

Source: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/F...731/story.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #1143
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #1144
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has taken one more tournament into his schedule for this year. He is going to play in Stockholm. So far the news is only available in the Swedish part of the tournament homepage

http://www.ifstockholmopen.se/sv-SE/...lm%20Open.aspx
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #1145
country flag dombrfc

dombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond repute

Good find. Thats interesting. Would like to know the reason why :/

Pablo CARRENO-BUSTA - Juan Martin DEL POTRO - Grigor DIMITROV

Marcos BAGHDATIS - Julien BENNETEAU - Roberto CARBALLES BAENA - Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV - Dan EVANS - Ernests GULBIS - Robin HAASE - Nick KYRGIOS - Lukas LACKO - Leonardo MAYER - Giles MULLER - Lukas ROSOL - Dominic THIEM - Jiri VESELY
dombrfc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #1146
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The announcement is also posted in the Swiss media. They write that Roger said that he would have played in Stockholm in 2000 and would have great memories on the hall, even though he lost in the 1st round to Vinciguerra. He said he would come to the tournament this year with a good preparation and that he would owe this Stockholm as he had withdrawn from the tournament 2 years ago due to an injury. His tournament schedule had been to packed that time.

Roger mentioned that the tournament would have a big tradition and some popular winners as Borg, Edberg, Becker and Agassi. He would like to see his name also engraved in the cup.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1147
country flag dombrfc

dombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, that's typical Roger really Looking to be a part of history wherever possible.
Good luck!!

Marcos BAGHDATIS - Julien BENNETEAU - Roberto CARBALLES BAENA - Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV - Dan EVANS - Ernests GULBIS - Robin HAASE - Nick KYRGIOS - Lukas LACKO - Leonardo MAYER - Giles MULLER - Lukas ROSOL - Dominic THIEM - Jiri VESELY
Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #1148
country flag hilluis

hilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if he will play Shanghai? I know he has to....but it's a long way to go for only one tournament and no warm up tournament beforehand.
hilluis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #1149
country flag dombrfc

Well I think you answered your own question... He has to play it.
1000 ranking points on offer i guess.. go for it!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #1150
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Here we can listen to something which Roger has to say about playing in Stockholm

http://svtplay.se/v/2108146/tennis/f...stockholm_open

Somehow I think he wants to do the new tournament directors Jonas Björkman and Thomas Johansson a little favour to play there
Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #1151
country flag dombrfc

Brilliant
Great news for the tournament yeahh

Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #1152
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I already posted the link in the videos thread, but here is a very interesting pressconference with Roger where it's announced that he is going to play in Stockholm

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #1153
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #1154
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Federer fights back to Cincinnati title

Reuters - Sun, 22 Aug

Roger Federer ended a seven-month title drought with a 6-7 7-6 6-4 win over American Mardy Fish in the Cincinnati Masters final to send a timely reminder of his class just a week before the US Open.

Federer captured his 63rd title in his 90th final and his victory was his fourth at Cincinnati since his first win in the tournament in 2005.

But having failed to win a title since his record 16th grand slam win at the Australian Open in January, a run which included defeat to Andy Murray in the final at Toronto last week, the Swiss needed this boost.

"I've been playing well the last couple weeks, and today was just another proof that I'm playing really well," he told reporters.

"It's nice knowing that the hard work already in the off season after Wimbledon paid off right away. I know it's not all (about) work from there but I've been committed to this sport for many years. I think when you do that and give yourself chances over and over again, you'll break through by winning tournaments again.

"I came close a couple times earlier in the season. Should have won Halle, I felt. Could have won Madrid, but things didn't really work my way.

"I was maybe playing a little bit too passive. Now I'm taking it more to the opponents again. I'm happy that that's the right game plan right now," he added.

Fish enhanced his growing reputation as a threat on the hard court with a display that bodes well for his chances at Flushing Meadows and his recent run, including wins at Newport and Atlanta, takes him up to 21st in the world.

There was nothing to choose between the pair in a tight opening set which Fish won on a tiebreak but the momentum shifted in the second set when Federer, facing defeat, raised his game a notch to run out a 7-1 winner in another tiebreak.

Fish maintained his focus on continued to serve and return well but Federer produced the first break of the match to go 5-4 up and then kept serve to win.

Andre Agassi, in Miami eight years ago, remains the only American to have beaten Federer in the 15 finals where he has taken on a U.S player.

The latest triumph came after just three hours and 25 minutes of tennis in the tournament before the final, thanks to a first round bye, a retirement by his second round opponent and a third round walkover.

But it was not fitness that proved the difference Sunday for Federer, wearing his pink shirt for the final time.

"He's a true champion, the greatest of all time," said Fish on court.

While there has been much talk of Federer being in decline, his confidence would indicate he has plenty left to give yet.

"I thought today was just a really close match that went my way. I had huge belief that I was going to win today from the first point until the end. That sometimes can make a bit of a difference," said the world number two.

"I was positive all the way through because I felt I was playing well, even though I lost the first set. So I never got down on myself and doubted myself. I think that reflected in the game."

Source: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/220820...ati-title.html
Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #1155
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Federer battles past stubborn Fish in Cincinnati

August 22, 2010

Roger Federer's defended the Cincinnati Masters title

Roger Federer threw down the gauntlet to his rivals ahead of the US Open by securing the Cincinnati Masters title with a defeat of Mardy Fish.

It hasn't been the best year for Federer - he has exited the last two Grand Slams at the quarter-final stage - but he has now reached back-to-back finals ahead of the Flushing Meadows tournament.

He lost the first of those to Andy Murray in Toronto last week, but he proved his determination to not be beaten again as he edged out Fish 6-7 7-6 6-4 to retain his title.

The world No. 2 was never at the peak of his powers - there was as much mediocrity as there was genius, with his return of serve a particular worry - but he did enough to get the better of one of the game's most in-form players.

Federer had marginally the better of a keenly contested first set but, despite creating several opportunities to break, he was unable to capitalise. The Swiss player's trademark ruthlessness was conspicuously absent, allowing Fish to force - and win - a tiebreak.

For a man so familiar with playing at the sharp end of tournaments, Federer cut a surprisingly uncomfortable figure on court - there was none of the swashbuckling aggression that he displayed during his resounding semi-final win over Marcos Baghdatis.

The authoritative moves towards the net were now absent as Federer, who was willing to let his opponent onto the offensive, positioned himself at the back of the court and allowed Fish to grow into the match.

The American, who has won two tournaments since June, accepted the invitation as he dramatically improved his first serve accuracy during the second stanza. Fish was helped by Federer's indifferent returns - far too often he was peppering the net - as he took some of the sting out of his deliveries in a bid to land them in the box at the opening attempt.

Federer's difficulties when it came to getting the ball back into play made it no surprise when the second set also slipped into a tiebreak. With defeat looming ominously behind him, Federer played his best tennis of the match as he forced a deciding set for the loss of just one point in the end-of-set shootout.

He was unable to carry the momentum forward into the third set, however, despite Fish's early struggles on his serve - he landed two of his first ten deliveries, but Federer was unable to force a break. He eventually did land a decisive blow when he won a game against the Fish serve - the only break of the match - in the ninth game of the final set, enough to secure the win.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/40739.html