Roger news and articles - Page 74 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #1096
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #1097
country flag .-Federers_Mate-.
Banned!

.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute.-Federers_Mate-. has a reputation beyond repute

Roger really has taken tennis to another level
.-Federers_Mate-. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #1098
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
"The commentary in Blick cited the writer’s English colleague who had said that Federer was big-headed, remarking that it was a wonder he had bowed to the Queen of Britain.

Even the Blick journalist conceded that Federer was not particularly modest. He went on to say that Federer was walking a fine line between sounding self-confident and arrogant.
"

bloody hell, can't believe the Swiss press would write something like that... Fed shows up to pay respect to the Queen and gets dissed for it, the current #1 doesn't bother to turn up and he gets a free pass. what is going on here??
Couldnt agree more, nothing said at all about Nadal boycotting our Queen

at least he had the decency (this time ) not to parade his flag around centre court after he won
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #1099
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
That was never in doubt... First they never acknowledged/backed him when he was dominating the sport and now they jump on him as soon as he declines... Truly disgusting...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #1100
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Just why IS Kneedal getting a free pass with the media? When I saw the lineup to meet Her Maj, my first thought was the current World No 1 was noticeable by his absence. Are they in the pay of Uncle Toni or something?

If the media numbskulls had eyes, they'd have seen the strapping on his thigh in his 2nd round match and asked him about it. Not sure I read anywhere that they had or asked

I am staggered by the Swiss press ... do they not realise just how much Roger has raised the profile of their country? How well regarded the Swiss are viewed because of him? If they feel so strongly, perhaps they'd better remove him from one of their stamps (that is, if the stamp is still current). This is the kind of dissing I'd expect from the Brit hounds - and they've done more than their fair share I believe. I'm no Muzza fan, but I do feel for him with the Britpack on his back all the time. That's why I doubt he'll win a Slam ... like Henman before him (aside from any defects in his game).

I totally understand why Roger was pissed off in his presser. Its immaterial whether if fully fit he'd have beaten Berdych - Roger clearly believed he would and that's all that counts.

As for that snide little comment about Roger bowing to Her Maj ... well he did - and Her Maj looked totally charmed by him from the broad smile on her face (not something you see when she meets a lot of people I can tell you!).
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1101
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
As for that snide little comment about Roger bowing to Her Maj ... well he did - and Her Maj looked totally charmed by him from the broad smile on her face (not something you see when she meets a lot of people I can tell you!).
Just curious, what are you supposed to do these days when meeting the Queen?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #1102
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Just why IS Kneedal getting a free pass with the media? When I saw the lineup to meet Her Maj, my first thought was the current World No 1 was noticeable by his absence. Are they in the pay of Uncle Toni or something?

If the media numbskulls had eyes, they'd have seen the strapping on his thigh in his 2nd round match and asked him about it. Not sure I read anywhere that they had or asked
Just wait a few more months/years in time.
Journos are VULTURES, they prey on whoever 'goes down'.
What comes around, goes around, you will see...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #1103
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's excuses, dismissive remarks at Wimby invite criticism

A few years ago at Wimbledon, during the peak of his reign, Roger Federer admitted that he liked to read the newspapers. He'd get up nice and early in London and buy a stack, just to see what was being written about him.

About 10 daily newspapers were (and still are) available there, so Federer could digest a veritable novel on his greatness. There wasn't much to say but "unbeatable," or "nobody ever played this well," so it tended to be pretty fun reading.

I wonder if Federer even passed by a newsstand last week after he was eliminated by Tomas Berdych. If there's a truism about storied athletes, it's that a tear-down process is inevitable, and we're at the heart of the Crush Federer movement -- especially after an interview session featuring dismissive remarks and the excuse of injury. These were some of the reactions, all from journalists with experience and perspective:

"The press conference was embarrassing, the words of a man in denial."
-- longtime Wimbledon chronicler Art Spander

"The excuses fell from the king's sky like acid rain...so put-upon, so unlucky...to see Federer fighting reality so hard was disturbing."
-- Matt Cronin, TennisReporters.net

"It strayed dangerously close to rationalization."
-- Greg Garber, ESPN.com

"His reaction -- that he was dogged by back and leg injuries that hampered his movement -- was particularly ungracious."
-- Neil Harman, the Times of London

"Federer's aura of infallibility at the All England Club? It's long gone, up the hill in the Wimbledon village, having a pint at the Dog & Fox."
-- Mark Hodgkinson, Telegraph

"He was sour, sarcastic, self-pitying, the portrait of an ungracious loser."
-- Linda Robertson, Miami Herald

"The day that Roger Federer says that the 'quarters is a decent result' for him at the All England Club, we really have reached the end of an era."
-- Steve Tignor, Tennis.com

"It wasn't his back that failed, and it wasn't his leg. It was his nerve. That's how it is when a great champion's determination and courage begin to ebb. And, like the proverbial cuckold, he's always the last to know."
-- Pete Bodo's TennisWorld

All in all, Mary Carillo concluded, "I heard him give a bunch of different interviews, and he kept bringing up the injuries, which is not like Roger. I feel bad. Berdych played the match of his life and had to defend his win."

It's worth noting that whenever a section of Internet comments came into play, fans rushed to Federer's defense -- passionately, almost savagely. How dare writers even question the great man, after all he has done? And there's much to be said for that stance. Can't we allow Federer a few moments of exasperation? He's never been a player to make irrational statements, take fraudulent bathroom breaks, call for a trainer to change the mood, or downplay the performance of an opponent. Surely he has played hurt before, without mentioning it, and it's not as if he was speaking angrily. For years, Federer's mannered honesty was something we greatly appreciated. As one reader noted, "This is the most gentlemanly player ever. He's been at the top for so long, people may unconsciously take pleasure in his fall from grace."

In the end, there is no definitive answer. Federer doesn't deserve to be the court jester, nor should he be reviled, necessarily, for aberrant remarks. We do know for certain that he is vulnerable, a condition he hasn't experienced since his tempestuous teenage years, and that he has drifted well out of character. If Federer loses a tough match at Toronto or Cincinnati, he'll once again enter a tough room full of unsettling questions.

As an unabashed fan of Federer's talent and a first-hand witness to several of his major titles, I'd love to see him win the U.S. Open and confront his critics with that deadliest of weapons, the scoreboard. I would hesitate to predict such a thing, however. Six months of hard evidence suggests otherwise.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0t4bqM4kQ

link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...cherreport.com

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #1104
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou!!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #1105
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Daniel..

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #1106
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Thursday Volley: Can Roger Federer Reclaim No. 1 Ranking?

Every week, the FanHouse tennis team tackles a hot debate in the Thursday Volley. This week Hal Spivack and Chris Sesno rally back and forth on whether Roger Federer will ever regain the No. 1 spot on the ATP rankings.

After the French Open, Rafael Nadal ended Roger Federer's reign atop the world rankings, toppling the 16-time major champion from the No. 1 spot after a quarterfinal loss to Robin Soderling at Roland Garros. Nadal locked up the No. 1 spot after winning in Paris and has not relinquished control since.

At Wimbledon, the newly-crowned No. 1 player triumphed again while Federer took another quarterfinal exit. Meanwhile, Novak Djokovic advanced one round past Federer to the semis, earning enough points to take over the No. 2 spot from Federer at the conclusion of the tournament.

Federer's fall to No. 3 marks his lowest ranking since 2003. With his 29th birthday just one month away (August 8), the question is: Will he ever reclaim the No. 1 spot?

Chris Sesno: I feel like what I am about to say is blasphemy: Roger Federer has seen his last day atop the ATP rankings.

Let's face it, just a month shy of 29 years old, his best days are probably behind him. Over the past decade, Federer has been an example of tennis perfection, combining stellar footwork, near perfect control and finesse, mixed in with a little bit of power at just the right moments.

Share But the game is changing. Taller, more powerful players are flattening out their shots and smashing the ball hard enough to prevent Federer from getting in a rhythm. Oh, and there's also this other guy, Nadal, who's looking pretty impressive right now. Perhaps you've heard of him?

Hal Spivack: While Nadal is playing the best tennis in the world right now, his knees remain a lingering concern. Knee injuries have bothered the Spaniard for years now. They forced him to miss Wimbledon in 2009 and retire at this year's Australian Open. Because Nadal missed so much action in 2009, he came into this season with few ATP points to defend in comparison to Federer and other top players on tour. Therefore, it was easy for Nadal to move up the rankings so quickly and supplant Federer at No. 1 after Roland Garros.

Federer, on the other hand, is still only 28. Agassi was able to reclaim the No. 1 spot on tour at 33. If anyone is capable of reclaiming the No. 1 spot, it is Federer. In the ATP rankings game, Federer has been a victim of his own success. Before losing in his quarterfinal match this year at Roland Garros he had advanced to 23 straight major semifinals -- that is a lot of points to defend and nowhere to go but down.

With a subpar performance from Federer at some of the bigger tournaments this season, he will be in prime position to make a run back at No. 1 during the latter end of next year's calendar year or in 2012. His back and leg issues seem minor. Yes, he is getting a bit older, but Federer's game is dependent on solid, consistent play. He does not depend on a 135-mph serve or blazing speed. He has a little bit of everything in his arsenal and is good enough at making it work to win matches. He will continue to win on craftiness and ball placement. He is a 16-time Grand Slam champion at 28-years-old. He ran into a few harder hitting opponents this year in Soderling and Berdych, but he lost similar matches in 2009 to Tsonga and Murray.

He won the Australian Open just this January, had a decent season on clay and slipped up a bit on the grass. We surely have not seen the last of Roger Federer on top of the ATP rankings.

Sesno: The main thing I'll admit you're right about is this: He is Roger Federer. It's very tough to make the case that arguably the best player in men's tennis has ever seen will never reclaim his spot atop the throne. I think there's plenty of time for him to do so, and he's even said plainly that he has no plans of retirement anytime soon.

The thing is, though, before this season Federer made players tremble in their sneakers just by taking the court opposite them. He doesn't have that effect anymore. In fact, people are starting to realize that he is beatable. Guys like Marcos Baghdatis, Ernests Gulbis and Albert Montanes have all beaten Federer this season and prove that players not ranked in the top 30 can still topple the great Roger Federer.

Tennis, more than almost any other sport, is such a mental game. You stand on the court totally on your own, with no teammates to carry you if things get tough and no coaches to pick you back up when points don't go your way. Sure, Federer's fundamentals and longevity on the court are on a level matched by few, but at some point a new champion will emerge and relieve Federer of his throne.

We've seen it in every sport. Think Mike Tyson stepping in the ring a few too many times, Michael Jordan's stint with the Wizards that the history books like to ignore, even Brett Favre's constant waffling about returning to the NFL can be compared. It's a sad truth in sports: You can't be the best forever.

Roger Federer, your greatness will never be forgotten. Your legacy will live on as one of the best tennis players in the history of the game. And I certainly hope you stick around for a while to prove me wrong.

Spivack: Take a look at 2007 for example: Federer was unrivaled in holding the world No. 1 for the third consecutive calendar year. In March 2007, he lost his first match at Indian Wells to then 60th-ranked Guillermo Canas in straight sets. He then lost again to Canas two weeks later at the Miami Masters. In his next tournament he lost to then world No. 2 Nadal in the finals at Monte Carlo. The week after that in his second match in Rome, Federer was upset again by 53rd-ranked Filippo Volandri in straight sets.

When he lost to Volandri, all of a sudden Federer was mortal. He was being rivaled by Nadal and was deemed by many no longer able to hit with the hardest hitters on tour. Critics proclaimed his career was taking a turn for the worse. Sound familiar?

All he did after the Volandri loss was win six more majors, finish runner-up in four more and reclaim his No. 1 status in 2009 after losing it in 2008. There is no doubt that Federer is aging more now and Nadal is more polished on court. Nadal's knees are worrisome, however. They have plagued him for years now and he has yet to win a U.S. Open. He has had trouble making it through the hard-court season healthy. Federer's career seems dependent on Roger Federer. There is no reason to doubt him, yet.

Tyson's career seemed dependent on Cus D'Amato and he battled his share of his own demons. Jordan left the sport twice before returning, while Favre has always had to depend on a supporting cast. Federer needs only himself, and that should be enough for him to climb back to the top, in time.

link: www.sportsillustrated.com

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #1107
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

^^ that's a great article, optimistic about Fed's chances.

wish they'd shut up about Nadal's knees tho. It's nobody's fault but Nadal's that his constant knee "injuries" are a direct result of his fugly playing style. They make it sound like Nadal could be best ever, if not for his knees (waaa waaa). i guess it's not his fault he doesn't have half the talent of Fed to stay at the top for so long..
dabeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #1108
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

very nice article thanks a lot
i still have faith in Roger he still can achieve a lot
Allez Roger

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #1109
country flag SUKTUEN

thankyou!!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1110
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Really a nice article..Thanks, Daniel!

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote