Roger news and articles - Page 69 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #1021
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Woods, Federer now linked by struggles
Bruce Jenkins

Monday, May 10, 2010

In a memorable scene at the U.S. Open tennis tournament four years ago, Tiger Woods had the champagne ready. He had only just met Roger Federer, his partner in the sporting pantheon, after greatly admiring his work from afar. Now Woods had a choice seat at Arthur Ashe Stadium to watch Federer's title-match dismantling of Andy Roddick, and he shared some exuberant moments of celebration with Federer's future wife, Mirka Vavrinec.

Roddick wasn't too thrilled by Woods' favoritism, but then, he wouldn't understand. Few athletes would. As Federer and Woods downed a bit of the bubbly over a long post-match conversation in the bowels of the stadium, one got the sense that no other person belonged in that room.

"We learned that we are similar in many ways," Federer said at the time. "Tiger knew exactly how I felt on the court. He knows how it feels to be invincible at times."

How strange to see the two of them now, struggling to revive their careers. Federer's plight hardly compares to that of Woods, who had to withdraw from Sunday's final round of the Players Championship with a neck injury and has felt the sting of worldwide scorn for months. All the same, people don't quite recognize Federer's game these days.

Federer did win the Australian Open in magnificent fashion, and perhaps only the Grand Slam events can trigger a motivational surge at this stage of his life.

But he has become vulnerable to opponents he once dismissed. Despite holding match points at two of the tour's most prestigious stops, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, he lost to Marcos Baghdatis and Thomas Berdych, respectively. Two weeks ago in Rome, a blatantly nervous Ernests Gulbis blew six match points to prolong the third set, yet Federer couldn't put him away. Then came Federer's shocking straight-set loss to Albert Montanes at the Estoril Open in Portugal.

It's unlikely Federer and Woods have much of a connection these days, for their lifestyles could not be more different. Woods was exposed as a serial philanderer while Federer happily travels everywhere with his wife and twin daughters. Federer is physically sound, while Woods faces the grim prospect of a pinched nerve or bulging disk.

What they share, for the first time, is the specter of doubt. The type only a major championship can erase.

E-mail Bruce Jenkins at bjenkins@sfchronicle.com

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0ncl99tkv

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #1022
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer hopes Madrid will provide turning point
May 10, 3:18 pm EDT

MADRID (AP)—Roger Federer is hoping the Madrid Masters will again prove to be a turning point in his season.

The top-ranked Swiss won the clay-court tournament last year after beating Rafael Nadal in the final, then went on to claim his first French Open title before adding his sixth Wimbledon crown.

That win “gave me immense confidence,” Federer said, and after a poor start to the clay season this year he’s hoping Madrid will provide a similar spark.

“Not only did I win the tournament but I beat fellow rivals,” Federer said of last year’s tournament. “I had a brutal draw—I played (Robin) Soderling here in the first round. To go on and beat (James) Blake, (Andy) Roddick, (Juan Martin) del Potro and then Rafa (Nadal), it was a great tournament for me.”

He could use a similar confidence boost this time.

Federer lost to Ernests Gulbis of Latvia in his first clay-court match of the year at the Rome Masters and was then eliminated in the Estoril Open semifinals by Albert Montanes of Spain.

However, he insisted he is not far from finding his best form.

“I’m doing the right things in practice,” he said. “I’m just lacking a bit of luck at times and I’m maybe not hitting the ball as clean as I was at the beginning of the season.”

He could run into Nadal in the final again, with the Spaniard looking nearly as invincible on clay this year as he was before knee injuries hampered him last season.

“I expected (Nadal) to come back again strong,” Federer said. “For me he was never gone, for you maybe he was. He was in the same situation I had to go through last year.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1023
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #1024
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

ROGER FEDERER INTERVIEW: RAFA WOULD CRUSH MY DREAMS
By freakyfrites May 10 2010

What a treat! A wonderful recent interview with Roger Federer, conducted in Rome by Juan Jose Mateo for the Spanish paper El Pais. Big thanks to GTT reader Nikdom for posting the full translated article in the comments section. Click here to read the original. Per Nikdom, the translation is the work of Tennis Forum member “aldeayeah” Big thanks to this person for the very finde.

Just after the interview, Roger Federer (Switzerland, 1981) talks with two fans and jokes with the improvised photographer in pidgin Spanish: “¡Muy deprisas!” The number one has calluses in his right palm. He sports tanned forearms. He talks long and always falls back on the same name: Rafael Nadal. They clashed for the last time one year ago, with the Swiss coming out on top, in the final of the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open (this year’s edition will be taking place until 16 May; he has requested to have his first match on Wednesday). Federer is now a different man. He’s already won Roland Garros. He’s already recovered Wimbledon. And he’s already the player with the most majors (16). However, statistics alone can’t capture the essentials of Federer as we saw him in the sunny day of the interview, conducted days ago in Rome: a man who speaks of his tears as easily as of his illnesses, who’s married but has no ring, and close enough to talk about how many days it takes to recognize a child as one’s own.

Q: The “number one”, who’s also a father, suddenly falls ill with a lung infection, as happened to you after the Australian Open. What happened?

A: The girls did not feel well when we returned from Australia. Their first six months had been fantastic: they spent them flying around the world. Then we went back to a colder climate, they caught an ear infection and their baby teeth started sprouting. They screamed for the whole night! Perhaps they had the virus too. It hit us all hard. The first to catch the infection was Mirka, she spent three days in the hospital. Then I started to feel sick. I stopped training and things got worse and worse. I went to get checked and they saw my lungs were infected too. I had to go a couple of times to the hospital, because I felt terrible. Now I feel good.

Q: Did it have anything to do with the mono of two years ago?

A: No. This time I wasn’t so worried. I just waited for the results of the lung examination, hoping it wasn’t something really bad. That disease has three stages: first bronchitis, then infection, then embolism. I was in the second stage. Health comes before tournaments. I did not worry much as with the mono. Mentally, it was easier.

Q: After your illness you’ve had poor results. That has never happened to you in a Slam.

A: A normal tournament is a sprint. A Slam is a marathon. You prepare differently.

Q: Now you’ve become a father. What have you discovered about youself?

A: That I’m not a such a bad father. I was a little nervous, like in my driver’s license test. I always thought I would be a terrible driver. I was scared. Now, I like to drive, just like I like being a parent. I was too worried. One thing I discovered about myself? That you can love your kids more than anything in this world. At first it feels strange: suddenly, you give two children a name and assume that you have to love them endlessly. But at first you don’t even know them! So it feels strange during the first week. Then you realize it’s the best thing in the world.

Q: What about the wedding ring?

A: I don’t have one! I’ll wear it when I retire. Mirka understood. What mattered was that she had a lovely ring!

Q: You cried after losing to Nadal in the final of Australia 2009 and, that same year, after winning Roland Garros against Robin Soderling.

A: It’s nice to bring people with me and my emotions. I prefer that to doing it alone. Now those moments are documented, I can go back to them. It was lucky for me that those feelings came out under the public eye. It’s not something I can control. Maybe I could hide under a towel… but there are no towels in the trophy ceremony! That wouldn’t look pretty (laughs). There was a time when I cried a lot. There were reasons behind it. Now, I’m glad it happened under the public eye.

Q: “I feel more of a man,” you said after winning your first Roland Garros in your fourth consecutive final.

A: Why hasn’t clay been as easy for me as the other surfaces? Why haven’t I been as dominant? It’s because on the other surfaces I can play my game without thinking. Everything happens naturally: I can go from defense to attack when and how I want. On clay you don’t need a volley or a serve. You just need legs, an incredible forehand and backhand, and to run after every ball. I’m not trying to take anything from Rafa: he has been successful in other surfaces as well. But on clay you can get away, you can be competitive even with a very incomplete game. I’m not saying it’s so simple, but it’s too easy. I’ve had to learn to control my aggression. I love to end points quickly, with a couple of shots. On clay, you can do it 50% of the time, but if you take too many risks you’re gifting the other 50%. I learned to play from way behind the baseline and to use angles. It was a lesson in geometry. On clay you can play well and lose. What you have to do is to play smart.

Q: Would a second title at Roland Garros, this time beating Nadal, have a different taste?

A: Obviously. No slam will taste the same as my first Roland Garros. It’s the one I was looking for, the big one I was chasing after, the title for which I prepared almost secretly. I trained in the pre-season in February in order to be ready to play the semifinals of Roland Garros in May. I always knew I could do it, but to actually do it, to go all the way to the end, is an incredibly satisfactory experience. I always expected to get it by beating Rafa, but you can’t choose who’s on the other side of the net. We two still have long careers ahead. I hope we have more opportunities to play in the Philippe Chatrier.

Q: You speak as if the future were set.

A: When Agassi gave me the trophy at Roland Garros, he said, “You deserve it. It’s fate.” I thought: “It’s true.” I felt the same. After having given so much of myself for so many years in Paris… Look, no matter what people say, I never thought my problem was clay. My problem was Rafa. The guy is unbelievable. There are some people who don’t want to believe it, but that’s the truth, unfortunately for a whole great generation of clay courters. So for me, it was as if fate was calling me. Being able to handle the pressure, being able to believe I could win each year, even though Rafa would then come and crush my dreams, was the key, my greatest strength. You can lose heart in but a moment. The instant of defeat hits you extremely hard. But I have always believed I could improve. So I believe in destiny.

Q: And Wimbledon 2009? You broke Sampras’ record of 14 majors in front of him.
A: The perfect script with a Hollywood happy ending. It was special for one thing above everything else: I was coming back from a tough defeat against Rafa the year before. And I said, “Man, I was so close back then, now I’m bound to be lucky.” And it happened.

http://gototennisblog.com/2010/05/10...medium=twitter

I love him.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #1025
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ What a lovely, spontaneous interview indeed. Thanks for posting!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #1026
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

lovely interview. ♥ of course there's a troll thread in GM concerning certain quotes, but they're not bad at all in context.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #1027
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

did you like l_mac's thread, recessional?
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #1028
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
did you like l_mac's thread, recessional?
i didn't feel the need to respond, so... just an 'okay' trolling thread.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #1029
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #1030
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

This has got a few quotes I haven't seen before, linked to the Google Translated version so it's not perfect but you can still get the gist of what he says.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #1031
country flag Daniel

Federer, Nadal differ on French Open importance

MADRID, May 16 (Reuters) - Roger Federer shrugged off his Madrid Open final defeat by Rafa Nadal as irrelevant, saying his claycourt season would be defined by his run at the French Open. Unsurprisingly, his victorious rival begged to differ.

“Rafa’s and my clay court seasons are decided at the French Open, and not before,” the 28-year-old Federer said.

“It’s unfortunately—or fortunately—like that. If we win all the tournaments like Rafa now and then go out in the first round of the French, everything will be questioned.”

Nadal, who became the first player to win a hat-trick of claycourt Masters Series titles in one year, was not prepared to endorse Federer’s views.

“Well, that’s a respectable opinion that I don’t share,” the Spaniard said defeating the Swiss 6-4 7-6.

“And not because I have won the three (Masters) leading up to it, which some might think, but because I think it is unfair to think the whole clay season is decided by one tournament.”

Federer displayed his customary sang froid after losing Sunday’s final, saying he was pleased with his overall form ahead of the French Open, which begins next Sunday.

“I think under the circumstances I played well today but he comes up with some incredible stuff,” the 16-times grand slam winner said.

“He’s Rafa Nadal after all and he’s playing with huge confidence and an incredible game from the baseline and it’s never easy to penetrate through that.”

Federer beat Nadal in last year’s final in the Spanish capital before claiming an emotional first French Open title and a sixth Wimbledon crown and snatching back the top ranking.

Injured knees wrecked Nadal’s year and he failed in his bid for a fifth straight French Open crown when he was upset in the fourth round by Swede Robin Soderling.

After winning the Australian Open in January, Federer has endured a dry spell while Nadal, by contrast, has won the Masters in Monte Carlo, Rome and Madrid, his success on Sunday a record 18th Masters title, surpassing Andre Agassi.

(Editing by Pritha Sarkar; To query or comment on this

Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #1032
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #1033
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
MADRID, May 16 (Reuters) - Roger Federer shrugged off his Madrid Open final defeat by Rafa Nadal as irrelevant, saying his claycourt season would be defined by his run at the French Open. Unsurprisingly, his victorious rival begged to differ.

“Rafa’s and my clay court seasons are decided at the French Open, and not before,” the 28-year-old Federer said.

“It’s unfortunately—or fortunately—like that. If we win all the tournaments like Rafa now and then go out in the first round of the French, everything will be questioned.”
i still dun like roger's attitude for the masters... while he is not wrong to say that if u go out in 1st round of french and win all the clay tournaments u will be questioned... but doing badly in all the masters and winning french does not always work either... this is not the WTA....!! roger should treat masters more seriously... always have the winning mentality... test out your shots and strategies... and treat as dress rehearsals for the slams...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1034
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

well honestly I'd ask Nadal if he'd trade his 3 masters wins for RG. My guess is he would. Just as I'll bet Andy Roddick would trade Miami for AO if he could. Right or wrong the slams are viewed as the most important events in the sport. Just like they are in golf.

For me all Roger is doing is trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I still think Nadal will win RG this year, BUT he hasn't looked unbeatable and one never knows....maybe it will be Roger (or someone elses) turn to peak in 2 weeks time...

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #1035
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he would have been singing a different tune had he actually won a tournament this clay season.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote