Roger news and articles - Page 67 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #991
country flag solowyn
Banned!

solowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamed View Post
This may have been posted already, I couldn't see it though Fed is in the running for the 2010 TIME 100 Poll, he made the cut in 2007 and is currently sitting at 19th in the rankings Good stuff, apart from the fact they got his age wrong

Previous TIME 100 Appearances: 1
Federer stands alone as the most accomplished tennis player of all time, having broken Pete Sampras' record of 14 career Grand Slam titles after defeating American Andy Roddick in a five-set thriller at Wimbledon. (Federer clinched championship No. 16 at the Australian Open in January.) The Swiss superstar has stayed classy throughout his remarkable run.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...#ixzz0kdKkau4z
He was at 32nd a few days ago with about 9,000 less votes so big props to rf.com I think
solowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #992
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #993
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

Federer hopes to fix his Rome record with title

Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:29:52 GMT
By : dpa

Rome - Roger Federer will attempt the patch one of the minor imperfections on his sparkling career record when the world number one returns fresh and rested to contest the Rome Masters.

Federer has never won the Rome trophy but has lost two finals, the second in 2006 a classic five-hour marathon over five sets against rival Rafael Nadal.

Even four years on, the Swiss knows that match was a turning point in his career on clay.

'I would have liked to have won Rome, but I haven't. I still remember that match with Rafa. We were both looking to get in a good match before the French Open,' Federer said Sunday.

'I lost to him but I still felt great at the end. It proved to me that I could someday win Roland Garros.

'Now, I have confidence - if you've won Paris once, why not again? I'm not getting those questions any more about why I haven't won the French.'

After last playing on March 30, Federer is eager to get back on court.

'I trained a bit and had some holidays,' the Swiss said during his build-up to a second round start (after a bye) against the winner from Marcos Baghdatis and Ernests Gulbis.

'But I've now had ten days to two weeks of hard training, working hard. 'I'm fresh and eager to start playing on clay.'

Federer made his last start in Miami last month, when he got only as far as the fourth round and a loss to Czech Tomas Berdych.

But with that disappointment now well in the past for the record 16-time Grand Slam champion, the focus is now on preparing in the best way possible to defend his French Open title starting in May.

'I feel I have the chance now to do really well in the clay season, hopefully starting with Rome. Of course, I cannot look past the first round, both of those guys are tough players.

'But I'm working hard and preparing well.'

Federer and second seed Nadal, runaway winner last week for a sixth consecutive edition in Monte Carlo, both stand on 16 career Masters 1000 titles, one less than the all-time best of 17 held by Andre Agassi.

Nadal has won the trophy at the Foro Italico at four of the last five editions, with Novak Djokovic intruding as champion in 2008.
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #994
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissakiss View Post

'I trained a bit and had some holidays,' the Swiss said during his build-up to a second round start (after a bye) against the winner from Marcos Baghdatis and Ernests Gulbis.

'But I've now had ten days to two weeks of hard training, working hard. 'I'm fresh and eager to start playing on clay.'
Doesn't seem that he practiced as much as last year
Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #995
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Doesn't seem that he practiced as much as last year
If I recall Roger had one week of tough training in Italy prior to Madrid.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #996
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
If I recall Roger had one week of tough training in Italy prior to Madrid.
yes but before Roma, he had practiced more last year, hadn't he ?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #997
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yes but before Roma, he had practiced more last year, hadn't he ?
hmm...don't remember what he did after he lost in Miami. Well, other than get married.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #998
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #999
country flag duong

Quote:
hmm...don't remember what he did after he lost in Miami. Well, other than get married.
he talked a lot about his spring preparation after Roland-Garros, but I guess you're right : he couldn't more than what you say between Monte-Carlo and Roma, and before Monte-Carlo, he got married.

If there's a difference, it was probably more before Indian Wells and Miami (he couldn't this year because of illness) but it wasn't on clay, you're right.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #1000
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
he talked a lot about his spring preparation after Roland-Garros, but I guess you're right : he couldn't more than what you say between Monte-Carlo and Roma, and before Monte-Carlo, he got married.

If there's a difference, it was probably more before Indian Wells and Miami (he couldn't this year because of illness) but it wasn't on clay, you're right.
Don't forget last year he still had back issues - didn't play Dubai or DC because of it.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #1001
country flag duong

Quote:
Don't forget last year he still had back issues - didn't play Dubai or DC because of it.
he didn't play Dubai (neither Davis Cup) but he said he had taken that time to practice if I remember well.

I have an interview after Roland-Garros which says how he had practiced a lot, precisely because he was unsure about his back and his physical.

This year he said he had started practicing but then there was that infection and he had to stop everything.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #1002
country flag SUKTUEN

Roger Federer says he's not the favorite at the French Open

Busted Racquet Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm EDT

Roger Federer says he's not the favorite at the French Open
By Chris Chase

Follow Yahoo! Sports' tennis blog, Busted Racquet, on Facebook.

Roger Federer, stating the obvious Monday in Rome:

"I would love to say I'm the big favorite [at Roland Garros] but I don't think it's quite right, even though I won the French Open last year.

"Rafa has just proven again in Monaco how tough he is. He's been on an absolute tear on clay for the last five years. He's hardly lost any matches. You can almost count those on one hand, and he's only lost one match at the French Open. So I would think he's still the favorite."

In related stories, Andy Murray thinks he's not playing his best tennis, Serena suggests she may not care about non-Grand Slam events and John Isner believes he's leggy.

Federer isn't the big favorite in Paris because he's not the big favorite. To say so isn't some magnanimous, sportsmanlike gesture on his part, it's the truth. (I do like in that quote how he managed to slip in the fact that he won last year. It's like he was verbally removing the gorilla from his back.) The few places that are taking wagers for Roland Garros right now have Nadal getting 1/2 odds compared to the 3/1 for Federer.

That doesn't mean things couldn't shift though. They're on the same side of the draw in this week's Masters 1000 event in Rome. They'd face off in a semifinal, assuming Nadal can get past Robin Soderling in the quarters and Federer plays better than he did during his trip to the States last month when he failed to reach the quarters at either Key Biscayne or Indian Wells.

But, just as he will be in Paris, Rafa is the heavy favorite in Rome (he's going off at 7/15 to win, compared to a whopping 7/1 for Federer). Something tells me Roger Federer knows that better than anyone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/...urn=ten,236821
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #1003
country flag duong

From the Roma website :

http://www.internazionalibnlditalia....ews.asp?LNG=EN

Quote:
World No.1 promises to work hard after shock second round defeat, Latvian youngster already reaping the benefits

After a 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 defeat in his first match, Roger Federer could have been expected to cut a morose figure after the match. He had thrown away a one-set lead, broken to stay in the match only to lose his serve immediately afterwards, and basically lost a match he should have won, going down to his third consecutive defeat 7-5 or 7-6 in the decider. In previous years however, he would have been expected to write it off as just another step along the way to yet more success in Grand Slams, which have always been the world No.1’s focus, occasionally to the detriment of other tournaments. On Tuesday though, there was a different mindset – born perhaps of the fact that, as the reigning French Open champion, he can no longer afford to miss out on valuable match practice on clay.

“It hurts,” he said to open his press conference. “I wasn’t up to speed, my serve was poor and it was frustrating. I wasn’t good from the baseline. There was no rhythm in the match and I couldn’t build from deep or get the right height on the ball. Clay is great when you’re in a rhythm as it’s easier to move your opponent around, but I haven’t played enough on clay yet this year.”

He then uttered a phrase that he would never have been expected to come out with as recently as this time last year. “It’s probably good for me – it’s a wake-up call.” He even repeated it as the languages changed as the conference wore on. “You have to have losses like that, they wake you up.”

Previous incarnations of Federer would have been “happy with their preparation”, “talking the positives”, thinking that they were “where I need to be”. This year’s Federer obviously desperately wants to conserve his Roland Garros title, and is prepared to do anything to achieve that. “I have to do the hard yards now, win ugly, starting with Estoril (next week). I’m still in the doubles and that helps. Every match helps, it’s only training that’s tough but now I’m going to work like mad, I’ll be out on the clay every day. Roland Garros may be soon to you but for me it’s a long way away.” Harsh words, but a necessary reaction after a defeat of this nature.
I don't like this reaction : of course he needs to work hard, he also needs to play matches, and then ?

He was far more physically fit here than he was in Miami imo, which proves that he had already worked.

I don't think he played as bad as he says, comparing to his first matches on clay previous years.

Now the problem will be about confidence : losing 3 tight matches like that, saying "it hurts" for him, putting pressure for Roland-Garros, which is obviously not his best slam, he's obviously lost confidence. That will be bad for tight matches.

The "wake-up call" about working should have been a long time ago : in Miami I think. Now I would prefer the reaction from previous years, which obviously worked well.

Yesterday he was very quick to reach some dropshots, he could return well in the beginning, very heavy serves from Gulbis : imo he's physically fit, which proves that he has worked. He had power when he made some accelerations : he looked very fit.

He misses rhythm and matches, esp against Gulbis who gives no rhythm, OK, and then ? It was the same previous years, only that this year he had a tougher opponent Beating him, I think he could reach the semifinal here

It's not good at all imo : his confidence is falling down because of those tights defeats, while he didn't play that bad (except Berdych's one). Bad momentum now absolutely needs good results (as much as play) next weeks to restore confidence.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #1004
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

it kinda showed some lack of interest or simply complacency on roger's part... maybe distracted from tennis by his daughters?? u mean it took THAT long to have "wake up call" on him...?? i tot after the previous losses in IW and miami... those should already had been "wake up" calls to him...

but obviously he didn't think so and could decide to miss monte carlo... nevermind that he may not win in MC... more importantly i tot was that having played so little matches after AO... what he needs is competitive match practice and not just those "practices" you play from comfort in your home...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #1005
country flag SUKTUEN

Roger,下次再努力啦﹗