Roger news and articles - Page 64 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #946
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Federer reduced to tears on visit to Ethiopia
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:04pm EST

By Barry Malone

KORE ROBA, Ethiopia (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer sends the ball spinning into the net.

His opponent, Ethiopian teenager, Jirata Demksa, smiles and prays the Swiss is having an off day.

But Federer just pauses and, taking a deep breath, serves a blistering ace.

The 17-year-old, realizing he's beaten, simply shrugs.

"He's the best tennis player ever," he says. "I am just lucky we played ping-pong."

Jirata says he will never forget taking two points from Federer in an impromptu game of table tennis at a school the tennis ace funds in the poor country.

For Federer, this week's visit to Ethiopia was one that moved him to tears.

"When I arrived at the school and all of the children were singing, it was very emotional," Federer told Reuters.

"They sang, "Roger, our Father' to me. I didn't really understand it at the beginning but I still had tears in my eyes."

Federer, limbering up for an attempt to win all four grand slams in a calendar year having already claimed the Australian Open title, was taking some time out to visit Ethiopia -- one of the countries his charitable organization works in.

The Roger Federer Foundation, founded in 2003, spends $1 million a year on education in Ethiopia, South Africa, Tanzania, Mali, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

MOTHER'S INSPIRATION

"My Mum being from South Africa is obviously the inspiration behind the foundation," Federer said, as local kids screamed "Number one!' behind him.

"I went there on vacation a lot when I was younger. So we started with a project in South Africa and, as I got older and got more money, I wanted to expand."

Eating a lunch of traditional injera -- a sort of spongy pancake -- with the students at one of two schools he pays for in the country, Federer was peppered with questions. Most of the children wanted to know if he had any of his own.

His seven-month old twin girls, Myla and Charlene, could eventually take over the charity Federer wants to continue long after he stops playing, he said.

"I definitely want to show them that this world exists as well," Federer said, gesturing at the tin-roofed classrooms around him.

"There's no way around it for them because I'll be traveling. It will be a very exciting ten years for me because I'll be trying to educate and help them and show them all these things."

Ethiopia is the world's seventh largest recipient of foreign aid, receiving more than $1.94 billion in 2006, according to the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

About 12 million of the Horn of Africa country's people are reliant on foreign food aid to survive.

As multi-millionaire Federer drove through the streets of the capital Addis Ababa, four street kids caught a glimpse of him through the window of his coach.

Leaping to their feet, they ran after the bus.

"Federer! Federer! We love you! We love you!" they shouted.

SURPRISE RECOGNITION

For Federer, who has won 16 grand slam titles, the level of recognition in one of the world's poorest and most remote countries, more known for athletics than tennis, was a surprise.

"It's my first time here so I didn't expect this," he said. "I always think I should have been to a country before people know me. I forget about the television."

Local girl Nihlaa Omar, stretching before racing against the tennis maestro in a 1km fun run, said she had seen him on television in a nearby town.

"We know he's as famous as our famous runners like Kenenisa Bekele," she said referring to the twice Olympic 10,000 meters champion. "But I think Ethiopians can beat him at running."

Federer, who was to run against the school's best athletes, agreed saying: "I'm in a lot of trouble."

The race kicked off, with the Swiss immediately humbled as the Ethiopian children, who live at high altitude, overtook him en masse, a goat leading the field for the first 500 meters. Federer finished near the back of the field.

"I've always had massive respect for long distance sports," he said. "The terrain was so dangerous and they ran barefoot. It was impressive to say the least."

The children, too, were confused by a man more used to split-second exertion.

"How old are you?" one girl said. Super-fit Federer, 28, asked her to guess.

"I don't know about white people," she said, shyly. "45?"

(Editing by Ken Ferris To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com; For more Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: af.reuters.com)

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sports...61C00320100213

Thank you Stanimal for taking out the trash at AO!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #947
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #948
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

He does sometimes play like he's 45

Thanks for the article.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #949
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Arkulari : 02-13-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #950
country flag buji

buji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond reputebuji has a reputation beyond repute

Awwwsome fedex.He's the only guy i've ever seen breaking with tears by heart.
He's so pure.
Simply saying a better human than a No.1 tennis player.
Lets go Roger.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #951
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
i would love to see roger playing table tennis for a change...!

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #952
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
that hair
I know
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #953
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elessar View Post
I know
It's not there any more.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #954
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I like Roger's hair style~~I think it looks good!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #955
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

The hair looks good from the side view but from straight on it looks a little odd, maybe it's the parting

Meh anyway, nice to see all the good work his foundation is doing

Roger Federer

Always a fan, no matter what
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #956
country flag ryder66

ryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, I was just watching a dvd of the 2006 Pacific Life final with Blake. They showed a quick couple of pictures of Roger from the tournament, I think, the year before. He had long hair (not the ponytail) and he looked REALLY GOOD! Still looks good now, but he was WOW!
ryder66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #957
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder66 View Post
Oddly enough, I was just watching a dvd of the 2006 Pacific Life final with Blake. They showed a quick couple of pictures of Roger from the tournament, I think, the year before. He had long hair (not the ponytail) and he looked REALLY GOOD! Still looks good now, but he was WOW!
Yeah his hair was longer in early 2005, then he chopped it off a bit before Hamburg. Then in 2008 Olympics & USO it was longer once again. Now it seems more like USO '06 Tokyo '06 and AO '09.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #958
country flag KingSodaPop

KingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond reputeKingSodaPop has a reputation beyond repute

http://communities.canada.com/montre...r-federer.aspx

Old 02-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #959
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Roger looking more masculine with the short hair

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #960
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote