Roger news and articles - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #856
country flag dj_mercury

dj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
Come on... Most Swiss can't seem to truly appreciate Roger's greatness while they're fond of mugs such as Cuche, Luthi, Gut or Lambiel... They can't seem to figure out those just aren't in the same leage as Roger...
Roger Federer has won so many awards, including multiple Swiss sport individual athlete of the year. Does his life change if he doesn't get one for one year? I hope not for him... I don't think the people don't vote for him because they don't recognize he is in another category compared to the rest, it's just that they like to see also someone else get a recognition despite their achievement not being on the same league as the one of Roger. And btw without those "mugs" we wouldn't enjoy as many success in different disciplines as we are now, guess you would be happy to return to the past when we were only good as skiing and nothing else.
dj_mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #857
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

French newspaper "L'Equipe" named Usain Bolt as Athlete of the Year again. Roger was voted 2nd, followed by Valentino Rossi.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #858
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

He was also voted Sporting Hero of the Decade by the Independent in the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...s-1852850.html
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #859
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I voted!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #860
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

SI names Roger "Athlete of the Decade"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4270/index.htm

December 28, 2009

The Best Athletes
L. JON WERTHEIM

A tennis star who made Grand Slam victories a habit is the cream of an elite crop

1. Roger Federer

Fifteen Grand Slam titles; ranked No. 1 for a record 237 consecutive weeks

2. Tiger Woods

Twelve major championships; first athlete with $1 billion in earnings

3. Lance Armstrong

(above) Winner of decade's first six Tours de France

4. Michael Phelps

With 14 gold medals, the most decorated Olympian ever

5. Kobe Bryant

Four NBA titles and the leading scorer of the 2000s

6. Albert Pujols

Only big leaguer ever with 30 home runs in each of first nine seasons

7. Tom Brady

Three Super Bowl victories, and the NFL single-season record for TD passes (50)

8. Usain Bolt

First male to hold Olympic and world titles in both the 100- and 200-meter sprints simultaneously

9. Serena Williams

Eleven Grand Slam singles titles; five tenures as world No. 1

10. Jimmie Johnson

Only NASCAR driver with four straight Cup championships
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #861
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

http://gulfnews.com/sport/tennis/fed...sEnabled=false

Federer serves warning to rivals
Shows he is still in great form by demolishing ferrer in just over an hour

By M. Satya Narayan, Senior Reporter
Published: 00:00 January 3, 2010

Abu Dhabi Roger Federer finally won a match in Abu Dhabi in his third attempt Saturdday. And after his 6-2, 7-5 win in a third-place play-off over Spain's David Ferrer, the World No 1 served a warning to his rivals that he was in great nick.

Federer, who lost to Andy Murray in his first match here last year and lost again on Friday for the first time in 13 matches against Sweden's Robin Soderling, demolished Spain's Davis Cup winning hero in just over an hour.

"I started well today. My backhand was good, my serve was also good. I am happy I was able to dominate for such a long stretch," said Federer, who now goes to Qatar for the Doha Open before taking a shot at the year's first Grand Slam — the Australian Open.

"My game is where it has to be at the start of the season," Federer said adding that he feels he is also improving on every aspect of his game.

"I do think I am improving. The more practise I get into my body I feel the more complete as a player. Some times it may look a bit predictable. But when you are younger you maybe want to hit everything screaming past. But now you think twice because you know that it works only once every five or 10 times. So that's what has changed," the Swiss master said.

"My technique is more sound than it has ever been. My backhand is good. My slice is much more consistent than it has ever been. My serve too, I think I have more pace in my serve now," said Federer, who has 15 Grand Slam wins against his name.

"Abu Dhabi has been a great venue and I really do like to come here and the events in the region. After Doha and the Australian Open I am back in Dubai in February and am looking forward to it," Federer said.

Ferrer, who came in as a late replacement for Frenchman Jo Wilfred Tsonga, said it was a great experience coming here to Abu Dhabi. "To start the year playing against the No 1 and 2 is really good. I am very happy with my show here," he said.

"You really can't do much against them as they are very good. Now I go to Auckland for a tournament there.

"But this is really a great venue, the people have been nice and I enjoyed the experience," said Ferrer, who lost to fellow Spaniard and World No 2 Rafael Nadal on Friday and to the World No 1 yesterday. But on Thursday he signed off 2009 with a fine win over Russian Nikolay Davydenko on the opening day of the edition.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #862
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer says he can be unbeatable again

DOHA, Qatar (AP)—Roger Federer expects to carry on his momentum from the middle of 2009 into the new year now that his back injury from last season has fully healed.

The Swiss star lost to Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic early last year before recovering to reach the final in all four Grand Slam events, winning his first French Open and then Wimbledon for his 15th major title to surpass Pete Sampras’ record.

In the first month of 2009, Federer lost to Murray in Doha and Nadal in the Australian Open final, before pulling out injured from a Davis Cup series against the United States in February. In March, Djokovic beat Federer in the Miami semifinals.

“Last year, I had problem at the start of the season with my back,” Federer said Sunday. “I lost to Murray, Djokovic and Rafa, who got the better of me at the start of the season. But I feel fine now because I have been practicing enough to feel confident of winning.”

Federer’s Roland Garros victory gave him a career Grand Slam, while the Wimbledon win helped take the No. 1 ranking from Nadal. He then reached the U.S. Open final, only to lose to Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina, but ended the season with four titles.

“I got better and better as the season went on,” Federer said. “I was able to bounce back and was on a roll. (Winning in) Paris and Wimbledon showed that I was unbeatable. I can do it again. That’s a good feeling to have, that I can do it again.”

The Qatar Open starts Monday and Federer, a two-time champion, will meet Christophe Rochus of Belgium in his first match. He is drawn to play sixth-ranked Nikolay Davdyenko of Russia, who won the season-ending London World Tour Finals in November, in the quarterfinals.

“It is hard to be competing against the best, but I know I can win more tournaments this year,” said Federer, who finished third Saturday in the season-opening Capitala exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

“I have been practicing good. The end season was short, so I feel my game is where it is supposed to be. I know I can make a few adjustments to my game and play well again.”

Nadal, who leads 13-7 over Federer in their head-to-head record, won the Abu Dhabi exhibition final by ending a two-match losing run to Robin Soderling. The Swede beat Nadal at the 2009 French Open, where the Spaniard had been unbeaten since 2005.

“I got three matches in Abu Dhabi. I felt good on court. I was moving well on the court,” Nadal said.

Nadal had chronic injuries to both knees and an abdominal complaint last season, forcing him to miss Wimbledon. Asked about his condition, the Spaniard replied: “I am OK. I feel fine. I just want to play my best tennis in every match I play. That’s my goal.”

The 10th-ranked Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France withdrew Friday from the event because of a wrist injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #863
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer confirms place as the greatest
By Paul Newman, Tennis Correspondent

Sunday, 3 January 2010

When Roger Federer's tears flowed at the end of the Australian Open at the start of the year, it seemed that his days as the best player on the planet were over. Already overtaken by Rafael Nadal at the top of the world rankings and having just lost to the Spaniard for the third time in four Grand Slam finals, Federer might have wondered whether he would remain forever stranded on 13 major titles, one short of Pete Sampras' all-time record.

Four months later, however, the landscape of men's tennis changed during the course of a fourth-round match at the French Open as Nadal, unbeaten in all 31 of his previous matches at Roland Garros, was swept aside by Robin Soderling.

The king of clay had a history of knee trouble and the demanding calendar had finally caught up with him. When Nadal returned in August, having missed Wimbledon, some of his sparkle appeared to have gone.

Federer took full advantage. Victory over Soderling in the French Open final put him alongside the five other men who have win all four Grand Slam titles. A month later his sixth Wimbledon triumph, after an epic final against Andy Roddick, closed the debate over the greatest player of all time.

Roddick had ended Andy Murray's best Wimbledon run in the semi- finals. The Scot enjoyed a fine year, winning six titles and briefly reaching No 2 in the rankings, though a wrist injury interrupted his progress. Murray ended at No 4, just ahead of Juan Martin del Potro, who won his first Grand Slam title, beating Federer in the US Open final.

While Murray was unable to prevent John Lloyd's team suffering relegation to the Davis Cup's third tier, Britain's women continued to prosper. Elena Baltacha, Katie O'Brien and Anne Keothavong, who hopes to return next month after knee surgery, all finished in the world's top 100, while in junior competition Heather Watson won the US Open and Laura Robson reached the Australian Open final.

Serena Williams, the champion of Melbourne and Wimbledon, was again the best female player, though she besmirched her reputation with a foul-mouthed tirade directed at a line judge in New York. The most remarkable performance of the year was Kim Clijsters' victory in the US Open in only her third tournament back after a two-year break. With her fellow Belgian, Justine Henin, also coming out of retirement, 2010 should be another memorable season.

Three to watch

Marin Cilic The 21-year-old Croatian has a big game and a big-match mentality. This could be his year after threatening to make his Grand Slam breakthrough in 2009.

Thiemo De Bakker The 6ft 4in Dutchman, 21, climbed 153 places in the world rankings in 2009 to 96. Has the game and physique to make further giant strides.

Michelle Larcher de Brito Has attracted attention because of her grunting, but the 16-year-old Portuguese also has abundant talent and a great fighting spirit.

Paul Newman

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...t-1856002.html

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #864
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou~~
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #865
country flag kissakiss

Federer counting on outstripping 2009 successes
AFP 4 January 2010, 08:29pm IST

DOHA: Roger Federer answered his doubters, some of whom claim his record-breaking success will make it harder to achieve more in 2010, by suggesting he may enjoy an even better year than last.

Federer, whose triumphs in the French Open and Wimbledon took him to a career total of 15 Grand Slam titles, reckons it is quite possible that he will win more titles on the new ATP World Tour which began Monday than he did in 2009.

"I think I can definitely, if my body allows me, win many more tournaments than I did last year," the 28-year-old Swiss legend claimed.

"I really just had to focus on the big tournaments, the major events last year. Obviously those are the hardest ones to win, and it reflects in the tournaments I was able to win. I hardly played any smaller events.

"But if I am healthy this year I can win many more tournaments. And that could also get me more confident, more momentum, and even more things could also become possible - even though last year was was fantastic."

Federer's bullish attitude is not good news for Rafa Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray - especially as Federer also claims to know why he has lasted the course better than his younger rivals so far have.

Part of it has been due to his smooth court coverage, which is less destructive to the body than the movement of the other three. But part has been due to important choices he has made, Federer claims.

"It's just important to listen to your signals. I think that is also one thing I did really well when I became number one in the world. I had all the things going for me and huge opportunities, to go and chase money or tournaments around the world I said I'm not going to do it, you know," he pointed out.

"I said I am going to look at the big picture and it's been paying off - so I'm very happy with my decisions over the years."

He concluded: "I would like to stay number one in the world, it's an obvious goal, there are no secrets about that, because going from number two to number one was hard work, and not an easy thing to do, especially with Rafa playing so well, and with other guys around.

"That was a major accomplishment for me and I would like to stay there as long as possible. And try to finish 2010 as world number one."

Federer begins Tuesday against Christophe Rochus, the world number 86 from Belgium, and should go on to have a semi-final with Nikolay Davydenko, the world number six from Russia who caused a big surprise by wining the ATP World Tour Masters, the season-end title, in London.

If he does it will offer a chance of revenge for Federer, whose last match of 2009 was to lose for the first time in 13 matches to Davydenko, six weeks ago in the semi-finals.

Federer should play the final on Saturday against Nadal, who starts against Simone Bolelli, the world number 93 from Italy, and may meet Mikhail Youzhny, another top 20 Russian, in the semis.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5410677.cms
Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #866
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #867
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

btw Roger has hired a full time physio, he's the guy that sits next to Luthi.

http://communities.canada.com/montre...s-new-pal.aspx

Recent interview on the twins
Quote:
Q: At the tournament in Basel, you said you had amazing technique when it comes to changing diapers. . .
FEDERER: That was just in fun!

Q: Do you have to do it at all?
FEDERER: It’s not about having to do it, it’s more like can I do it. So it should be. Changing diapers should not be unpleasant. Nowadays, it’s a breeze. If you do it right, you’re finished within one and a half minutes. The more often you do it, the better you get – it’s the same for all fathers and mothers, too. I do it willingly – so I can relieve Mirka and do something good for the baby.

Q: And you do it in one and a half minutes?
FEDERER: (smiles) Yes, I can hold my own.

Q: Do you remember a particularly beautiful moment with the babies?
FEDERER: Of course there are countless moments. Now is the time when they are constantly doing things for the first time.The first time they really look at you. The first time that they turn from back to tummy. The first laugh. These are very casual moments that you don’t want to miss. They make a lot of fun, I can’t pick just one.

Q: Do you want any other children?
FEDERER: Right now we are enjoying our time with Myla and Charlene. We have learned much over the last few months, and have received an incredible amount of help from the outside, as well as numerous gifts from fans. For the time being we don’t want to change anything, but who knows: Maybe Mirka and I will think in a few years, we still want one. At the moment we are just very happy that we have two healthy children.
http://www.gototennisblog.com/2010/0...#ixzz0bssaS2Tb

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #868
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

yeah Rita i noticed that guy shaking his head when Fed missed a few shots

that will need to be adressed, no negative stuff in Fed's box
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #869
country flag SUKTUEN

full time physio
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #870
country flag timafi
Banned!

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
full time physio
nothing wrong with hiring a full time physio suk
Roger is 28 years and has miles in his body;Roger is a step slower and it shows.You don't think that there are days when he is stiff and sore

imho he should have done that a while back as soon as the back thing came about more aggresively

I think it's fab idea
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote