Roger news and articles - Page 57 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #841
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...he-decade.html

Roger Federer, the greatest player of the decade?

In the first of a series of nominations, Mark Hodgkinson considers the case of the most decorated grand slam winner of all time, Roger Federer, as the player of the decade.

By Mark Hodgkinson
Daily Telegraph

Published: 8:00AM GMT 22 Dec 2009

Does "transgressions" even translate directly into Swiss German? Probably the worst thing that anyone has said about Roger Federer in the last 10 years was that, when he walked on to the Wimbledon grass dressed in yet another flamboyant warm-up outfit, he looked as though he had Liberace's stylist on the payroll.

There is not much else on Federer's rap-sheet for his not-very-naughty Noughties, unless you want to count such minor offences as obliterating a racket in Miami this spring, for his first broken frame in years, or when he used the s-word in conversation with an umpire at the US Open.

When Federer hangs up his smoking jackets and folds away his flannel trousers for the last time, you can be sure that he will not write in his autobiography of "hating tennis with a dark and secret passion", or of the time that he was convinced by his personal assistant that snorting a line of crystal meth off his coffee table would make him "feel like Superman, dude".

Some observers seem to have a higher opinion of Federer as an athlete now that we know how Tiger Woods and Andre Agassi used to fill their days and nights, while the other half of the tennis commentariat have been wondering: "What does this have to do with Roger?"

You have to go with those who contend that this has little to do with Federer, that we can surely evaluate him without first flicking through the National Enquirer, plus every other supermarket tabloid, for our latest golf news.

This is the time to celebrate what Federer has done with a racket, not that he did not do crystal meth and he did not do cocktail waitresses. Let Federer be judged as a tennis player, let us not drag him into a global, all-sports morality contest of pee and polygraph tests.

For Federer to "feel like Superman, dude", he did not need any chemical assistance; all he had to do was pick up a racket and take a few swings. Of course Federer is the tennis player of the decade; he is the greatest tennis player of all time.

If you had to pick out one 21st century, sodium-white flash of brilliance from Federer's racket, it would have to be his through-the-legs trick shot which brought up match point against Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of this year's US Open.

That 'hot-dog' moment in New York City summed up Federer's tennis, as the shot was both great entertainment and devastatingly effective. Federer has never been a grey accumulator of grand slam titles. Only very rarely has he been too flash for his own good.

In an age of trash culture, there is something to be said about a man who combines elegance and a killer mind, about someone who has both style and substance, and that was why David Foster Wallace, the late American novelist, once wrote a piece for the New York Times entitled "Roger Federer as Religious Experience", and why Anna Wintour, the editor of American Vogue, has a crush on the winner of a record 15 slam titles.

The devil wears Prada, and Federer hits winners through his legs. If style points were awarded for artistic impression, Federer would have 30 slams by now.

Federer appeals to more than just racket-heads, not just to those who would sleep rough for Wimbledon tickets. Federer's struggles have made his story all the more interesting.

If Federer had won his first French Open title several years ago, would everyone have been that interested by his achievement this year when he held the Coupe des Mousquetaires and then crossed the Channel to win another Wimbledon title, which took him past Pete Sampras's 14 slams?

Federer's story was all the more compelling because of his defeats by Rafael Nadal, not just on the clay of Roland Garros, but on the Wimbledon grass in the extraordinary final of 2008, and in the final of this year's hard-court Australian Open.

After that defeat Down Under, Federer broke down during his speech, only just able to tell the crowd: "God, it's killing me." The decade of Roger Federer has not been a boring procession; there has been a decent narrative. Look at him now; the most successful man in tennis history, a husband and the father of twins.

It would be tricky to be in total agreement with the piece that Rod Laver wrote in Time magazine a few years ago, in which he called the world No 1 "the man without an ego".

A man without an ego does not wear baseball caps with his initials on the front, or celebrate winning Wimbledon, after a five-set victory over Andy Roddick, by putting on a white tracksuit with the number 15 embroidered in gold on the back. But who is perfect?

Considering what Federer has achieved in the last decade, he is remarkably grounded. In the ranking list of self-enchanted sportsman, Federer is a long way off breaking into the world's top 20.

Federer's popularity was obvious at last month's end-of-season tournament at London's O₂ Arena. When Federer was introduced to the crowd, he received a louder cheer than his British opponent, Andy Murray.

If Federer plays Murray in next summer's Wimbledon final, would the majority again favour the man from Basle, the man of the Noughties?
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #842
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #843
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

What a fugly article. That was like one compliment and 10 other slaps. Bashing in disguise.

Did it even mention any of his achievements this year?

at these:

Quote:
when he walked on to the Wimbledon grass dressed in yet another flamboyant warm-up outfit
Quote:
unless you want to count such minor offences as obliterating a racket in Miami this spring, for his first broken frame in years, or when he used the s-word in conversation with an umpire at the US Open.
Quote:
A man without an ego does not wear baseball caps with his initials on the front, or celebrate winning Wimbledon, after a five-set victory over Andy Roddick, by putting on a white tracksuit with the number 15 embroidered in gold on the back. But who is perfect?
He talks about "let's just talk about the tennis" yet all I read there was bitterness. :retard:
Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #844
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has been named the European Athlete of the Year for the 5th time. He takes the place of Rafa, who had won the election last year. 18 European news agencies decide who are Europes beat athletes.

The first three places are:

1. Roger Federer 135 points
2. Jenson Button 81 points
3. Ole Einar Björndalen 73 points

German source: http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/sport/...1.4363351.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #845
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

well bloody deserved

Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers
When Hobby Lobby filed its case against Obamacare's contraception mandate, its retirement plan had more than $73 million invested in funds with stakes in contraception makers
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...on-drug-makers
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #846
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Finally he wins an award this year.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #847
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Congrat Roger!!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #848
country flag Dini

If you haven't already, you can vote for Roger in MTF's favourite player poll, here. Currently trailing behind the mighty force that is Safin.

Also, check here what Laureus panel have to say about Fed.

And an interview with Rene Stauffer, here.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #849
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #850
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

thx nadine =]
ive received your pms and voted for fed =]
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #851
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

An interview with a Swiss regional paper. Roger remembers the name of every opponent in a Chellenger tournament played ten years ago!

At the end of the article is a nice account of how they finally get the interview. "Hello, here is Roger." - the man is so sweet.

http://www.letelegramme.com/sports/t...09-718273.php#

Googled version:
Exclusive. Federer gives the Telegram

December 28, 2009

The No. 1 world tennis has granted an exclusive interview at the Telegram. Regarded by many as the best tennis player of all time, Roger Federer preparing to attack a new season with the status of No. 1 worldwide. Ten years ago, the Swiss opened their fabulous track record in Britain by winning the Challenger tournament in Brest.

"Federer is great!" In its issue of 1 November 1999, is the title The Telegram had chosen to welcome the victory of a young Swiss in the 12th edition of International Bretagne in Brest. A player still unknown to the general public, even if Roger Federer had landed at the tip of Finistčre haloed status of junior world champion. "We knew it was good. Everyone knew, "said Francois Derrien, tournament director Brest. "But we had not made a special effort to bring him home." Understood, there was no need to leave the checkbook so that knocks the ball on the courts Penfeld.

"This guy was different than others'

Because at the time, the native of Basel occupied "only" the 67th largest in the world. What was nonetheless already exceptional for a boy aged just 18 years, professionally for a year and a half. Yet he is a player in the charts still virgin as significant in the elderly (1) who had started the tournament in Brest, a Challenger (equivalent to second division) very well endowed (100.000dollars plus accommodation). "In terms of level, was one of the most world records in his category," says Rodolphe Gilbert, unfortunate opponent Federer in the second round. "I knew a little. And as he spoke French, it was easier, "says the Rennais before unburden himself on the game of the current World No. 1:" Even then, we saw that this guy was not same as the others. He came to blows? Ouf? (crazy). It did not happen often feel that way against an opponent. "No wonder, then, that Switzerland has finally managed to unlock the meter at the end of 1999 season.

"He was too strong '

He might have done earlier without the nervousness in his youth, has sometimes served. "He had a casual attitude and a tendency to get excited quickly. He was still in a learning phase, "said Lionel Roux, now coach of France's Davis Cup. "I especially remember a very pleasant person," says François Derrien. "He said he was very nervous. But for us, it was not seen. "It is true that Federer, seeded No. 1 in Brest, had not really had any reason to get out of its hinges. With one set conceded, the Swiss had flown up to the tournament won the final against Max Mirnyi. And despite the bronchitis which had disturbed during his week Brest. "It was too much for me today," recognized the Belarusian giant, beaten 7-6, 6-3.

€ 9650 victory in Brest

"It reminds me of Sampras. Tennis seems so simple when you see him play ...», had said, meanwhile, Francois Derrien who had delivered a check 14.400dollars (approximately € 9650) in Swiss player after his final victory. If we add to its earnings double (630dollars or approximately 422 €), Federer had therefore left Brest with just over € 10,000 in his pocket. And with the satisfaction of having won the first (and only) Challenger career. Behind him he had to wait over a year before raising a new trophy. It was in Milan, in January 2001. Since 61titres have enriched his huge winners.

1. End 98, Federer has won two tournaments Satellite (small national tournaments) at home in Switzerland.

Ronan Tanguy

Interview. "Brest, a very big moment"

Ten years later, Roger Federer has forgotten nothing (or almost) on his victory in Brest. In the exclusive interview he has granted, he returned to the title that was marked before being projected onto the rest of his career.

- Roger Federer, a decade ago, you win the Challenger tournament in Brest. You remember?
"Yes, anyway. It is the only Challenger that I won in my career. I remember it was late in the season. I started the year around the world 300 and I finished in 100. It was a great year. I remember it was a very well organized Challenger. It was nice to have played. "

- Do you remember who you beat?
"Yes, there was Lionel Roux, Michaël Llodra, Max Mirnyi, Martin Damm. Uh, here. It must remain another, but I do not remember. "

- Rudolph ...
"Rodolphe Gilbert, ah yes it's true."

- Only one of them had managed to make you a set. Who was it?

(long pause). "Maybe it was Lionel Roux, right?"

- Yes, that's it. Bravo.
"Thank you (laughs)."

- What is the value that title for you today?
"I think it's more important to me than the media for example. The media, unfortunately, they forget quickly, especially with all the success I had after. But anyway, he had to start by playing small tournaments, although Brest was a great challenger. At the time, when you win, it's a great moment that you keep forever. It's almost at the beginning of your career that you saw things more dramatic, because you want so much to do, so you want to enter the Top 100, you want to show who you are, how well you can play tennis ... So for a young player, winning a Challenger as it is super important. "

- Do you ever happen to talk again about this victory in Brest with your friends?
"Well, now rare. In my environment, everybody knows my way. I will not talk about it all their days. It focuses instead on the future. But sometimes, I spoke with some players who do not know that I won in Brest. They tell me? Ah yes, there are more now, but it's true that before there was a great tournament there.? "

- Do you remember your doubles partner in Brest?
(without hesitation) "Yes, Guillaume Raoux. I remember it was one of the best partners I ever had before. So, I was almost disappointed to have lost the second round. "

- On reading the press clippings of the time, we also learn that you had been a little sick during the week. You had bronchitis ... That you are reminded of that too?
"Uh, a little less. It must be early in the tournament, because at the end, I was in shape. Mirnyi cons, I remember that I achieved a perfect performance against a very dangerous player indoor (indoor). I remember it was Halloween week Brest. We had masks. It was a little afraid to everyone still making jokes! "

- Did you keep the trophy?
"Yes, it is still home to my parents."

- In Switzerland?
"This is exactly".

- At the time, you were already 67th world but you have not yet gained significant tournament. It began to annoy you or not?
"No, not really. I would have liked to win an ATP tournament already ninety-nine (1999). This year, I participated in major tournaments and I managed to make the quarterfinals and semifinals. So I was quite pleased. But it would still have been disappointing to have never won a Challenger. In Future (the equivalent of third division), I also played three times and lost three times in qualifying ... (laughs). "

- It was a period during which you were accompanied by Peter Carter (1) ...
"Yes, he was there. I also went to greet him after that first title. I am seldom or never actually thank my coach after a victory. I do not climb into the stands to embrace my surroundings. But in Brest, I quickly ran to him. I shook his hand as the first title was still something special. I wanted to show a little. I knew since I was ten. It was a long way together. It was nice for us both. "

- After the final, you said:? Do not set goals too high.? It was a way to protect yourself, or you really imagine that this would be very difficult to reach the summit?
"Well, in ninety-nine, I was the youngest in the Top 100 at 18 years and some months. I have still a little early. Nine or ten months before Brest, I beat Carlos Moya in Marseille. It was 4th World and two months later he became No. 1 worldwide. So I knew I could beat the best and that I could aim high. But I saw immediately that the press liked me put pressure because many experts said that I had an extraordinary talent and I was the future No. 1 worldwide. I always found it too much? Fair? (cool). I always tried to calm things down because I saw how difficult it was to win tournaments or to dominate a sport. But it is true that after having finished No. 1 in the world juniors in ninety-eight (1998), my dream was to become world No 1 and win Wimbledon. "

- Ten years have passed since Brest. Will you still short in ten years?
"I do not know. A lot depends on how my body will handle the games, travel. The way my mind will handle everything. But the urge to play as long as possible is there. In ten years, I have 38 years. Honestly, this is not something super impossible. For me, the second half just started. And I do not know when it will end. "

- If you could fulfill a dream, what would it be? Making the Grand Slam, winning the Davis Cup, the Olympics in 2012, beating Nadal in the final at Roland Garros?
"What makes me most happy is when I play good tennis when I feast on the field and off. Traveling with my family now, it's great fun. It gave me extra motivation. For ten years I tried several times to win the Davis Cup. I try again in a day is clear. At the Olympics, I already had a gold medal in doubles. It makes me quite enough. But it's clear that I will try to be fit for London in 2012. In fact, I have the greatest possible success. But I am glad the most is to play against all these young people who go up and see how long I can be successful against them. "

- How do you imagine the 2010 season?
"I think it will be very interesting, with many players of character to fight, such as the French Monfils has played really well at Bercy, Tsonga or who just missed his spot in the Masters. I, of course, I will focus on major events. If I am physically fit, I will not fear. I'll be able to play very well. "

1. At that time, Australian Peter Carter was the coach of Roger Federer. He died accidentally in 2002 during a safari. A tragic death had greatly affected the Swiss player.

"It was still a boy, a big déconneur"

Opponents, doubles partner, director of tournament players Challenger Brest in 1999 opened their box and evoke memories that had marked with Roger Federer.

Francois Derrien (tournament director): "It was very nice, it made no problem. He was discreet and did not at all the big head. He was adored among physiotherapists. He was staying at the Hotel Oceania, like everyone else. I remember the ease with which he played. It was a flexible, highly nimble air. We saw some good players in Brest. Guys like Leconte, Pioline, Santoro, Kucera ... But Federer is the best we've seen. And by far. I saw him once. It was at Roland Garros. It has just welcomed. "

Lionel Roux (beaten by Federer in the first round): "I do not remember too much of the game, but I know I lost 6-4 in the third. Everyone spoke. He said it was the future No. 1 worldwide. When I played in Brest, I do not really know. At that time, this was not the same man. It was still a boy, a big déconneur always ready to do something stupid. He had that side deadpan laugh. I remember that I had room after my win in doubles with? Rod? (Rodolphe Gilbert). "

Rodolphe Gilbert (beaten by Federer in the second round): "There are five months, I talked with him. He remembered well his victory against me in Brest, but also that the Tournament of Grenoble six months earlier. In Brest, there were 6-4, 6-4, right? Oh, 6-4, 6-3. OK. But with Lionel Roux, he was beaten twice. I remember that his side was far worse than now. He chop almost all the time. His service was already unreadable. It was something we had not. Sometimes, for ten minutes, quarter of an hour he was hallucinating sequences. Physically, he has greatly expanded from the top. Otherwise, it has not changed. At the time he was already very respectful vis-ŕ-vis its opponents. "

Michael Llodra (beaten by Federer in the quarterfinals): "Oh, he had won this year in Brest? I do not know. I do not remember any of our game. I just remember the score, 6-4, 6-4 to him (in fact, there were 6-3, 6-3 ...). It's the only time I've faced. But I do not despair of the replay a day. "

Guillaume Raoux (his partner for doubles): "I played doubles with him in Brest? Are you sure? Well, you teach me. Sorry, but I have no recollection. I'm not very good memory for tennis tournaments I played. "

R.T.

"Hello, here is Roger"

Roger Federer wins his first title at the pros in Brest decade ago. What a godsend for us, the sports journalists Telegram. Here's a story of gold! We are thus left to the fishing stories. Hoping to bring the evidence. That of Switzerland. But this was not won. "This is one of the players most inaccessible of the circuit," wrote L'Equipe Magazine in late August, in an article devoted to his wife, Mirka Vavrinek. So you can imagine: see master of the tennis world give an interview to a regional newspaper ... Anyway, we still attempted the coup. You never know, on a misunderstanding ... First approach in July after his victory at Wimbledon. And a polite refusal, by mail, the cell responsible for its management: "Roger receives so many requests from around the world ..." Undeterred, they returned to office in early October. With his agent this time. Who plays dead for ten days. Before responding. And then, surprise, "Roger said he would do a 5 minutes interview with you at Paris-Bercy after one of his first matches' (Roger said he will give you five minutes after interviewing one of his first matches at Bercy ). Yes! Except at Bercy, there were no matches first. There was a first game, concluded by an improbable defeat against the French Benneteau. Only the fifth time in six years that Switzerland was beaten when it comes into contention in a tournament. And at 23 am 15 by the bargain. The bad luck. For a few minutes later, Federer to face a rainy day that left the scene hurriedly with his wife and coach in his wake. In inviting us to the door of his car, to do with his press secretary for a contact telephone in the coming days. Mouais ... Three weeks later, despite repeated reminders by mail, it had ended up being a reason. Until Saturday afternoon in early December and a number "bizarre" that appears on our laptop. "Hello, here is Roger." For a moment it was thought a hoax. But no, it was Federer who, on vacation, took 20 minutes to remember his victory in Brest. Beginning by apologizing for being late to call us! That must be what the great class ...

R. T.
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #852
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
If you haven't already, you can vote for Roger in MTF's favourite player poll, here. Currently trailing behind the mighty force that is Safin.
thanks..! i've just voted and level him with safin...

oh... anyway if safin wins i dun mind either... he is also one of my fav players too...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #853
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #854
country flag Dini

Updated 'news reel'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
If you haven't already, you can vote for Roger in MTF's favourite player poll, here.

---

Also, check here what Laureus panel have to say about Fed.

---

And an interview with Rene Stauffer, here.

---

Svetlana Kuznetsova writes on her site:
Quote:
"I and my team just came back from Dubai. ...
... I was glad that Roger Federer practised on a nearby court. It's pity that I saw him a little, unfortunately, our training schedules did not coincide".
www.svetlanakuznetsova.ru/?m1=30&id=131

---

Fed is undecided about AO prep. Click here for more info.

---

Bodo on why Fed should have been athlete of the decade:

Quote:
Holiday Greetings, everyone. We're in the middle of that long grind that now begins officially the day after Thanksgiving and ends abruptly, one day into the new year. Say what you want about how "soft" we've all grown - our sheer ability, as a species, to gut out the "holiday season" is an enduring testament to the human spirit. . . or stamina. . . or greed. . . or the wholly understandable willingness to trade loads of money and the inevitable measure of emotional stress that is part of all holidays for - days off from work.

I think I'll slip out tonight to catch the 11 p.m. showing of The Road, just to restore my balance after two straight weeks of listening to the Christmas music station in my satellite radio. I hear that Wham! song, Last Christmas, I Gave You My Heart one more time and I'm gonna go all Serena on someone.

The Holiday season: it giveth. And it taketh away. Now what the hail did I do with the receipt too that ridiculous Eco-Sleep clock radio that wakes you to the sounds of the (fast-disappearing) rain forest instead of a good old-fashioned buzzer, or the voice of some coffee-addled morning talk show host. Why don't people give me nice presents, like a Come Along winch, or a Sawzall?

Anyway, this headline caught my eye this morning, and is as fine an example of irony as I can find. If Federer was named the European Athlete of the Year, he's probably right in the thick of the battle for earning the Swiss athlete-of-the-year honors, too, right?

Actually, it makes me feel bad for all those poor yodeling skiers, archers, figure skaters, cyclists and, of course, the titans of the luge. You may be the best race-walker or curler Switzerland has ever produced, but as long as that Federer character is around, you've got not shot at being named the athlete-of-the-year - or if they do find a way to bestow that honor upon you, even if it's just out of a desire to something new and different, how can you accept that abstract metal trophy (it could be truly useful if you attached to the line used to anchor your dinghy on Lake Geneva) with a straight face?

By the way, even before we learned that Tiger Woods is more swordsman than golfer, I felt that Federer was the athlete-of-the-decade, world-wide, hands down. As John McEnroe once said of golf, "I thought you had to run for it to be a sport. . ."

No disrespect intended toward golf, here. I'm not a fan, but it's a great game requires enormous skill, fabulous eye-hand co-ordination, yadda-yadda-yadda. But at the end of the day it's still more game than sport. There's a essential component missing that disqualifies golf from the pantheon of sports. That's something I would call "physicality." I'm not a big fan of figure skating, either, but there is physicality involved, despite all those ridiculous costumes the skaters wear. You don't jump high enough, you don't get that burst of acceleration that gets you there in time to catch the girl before she cracks her head on the ice and you don't have a shot at success.

I recall reading somewhere that Tiger spent a lot of time in the gym (he didn't just fall off the turnip truck; every gym on the planet is crawling with hotties in thongs, clutching bottles of Evian). But so what? Everyone these spends a lot of time in the gym; fitness, like climate-change, has become religion. So that angle didn't sell me on the fact that Tiger is a great athlete, although it certainly suggested that Tiger improved as a golfer because he decided to pursue fitness as diligently as the average Manhattan bond trader. It was a useful narrrative though, helping to boost the prestige of golf. Do you really want to tell me that golf is a demanding, physically challenging sport when it's the recreation of choice for eighty per cent of the blowhard, overweight corporate executives in the world? I'll consider the argument when all those guys I see on the golf course join a Thursday night boxing group, or trade their clubs for pitons and ice-axes, just for a change of pace. . .

No, Federer is the hands-down athlete of the decade in my book. Physicality is essential to tennis; take away the explosive first step, the ability to withstand the shock inflicted by a sport predicated on violent bursts and sudden stops, the stamina required to go fives sets under a broiling sun (we'll know more about that in a few weeks, when things get underway in Melbourne), and and you've got. . . a pretty darned good golfer. Or someone who could be that, at any rate. They ought to divide what is commonly called "sports" into two distinct categories: sports and games of skill. For McEnroe's Duh! line is actually a very accurate and reliable way to separate the two. On a sliding scale, tennis veers strongly toward sport; golf would skew heavily toward game. The gap separating the two activities is wider than the distance of either from the pole toward which it's drawn.

I'd be curious to know what you all think about this.

-- Pete
Dini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #855
country flag SUKTUEN