Roger news and articles - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #826
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_mercury View Post
Why make remarks about something you don't know nothing about?
Cuche is already 35 years old and just had his most successful sky season, while being the most consistent Swiss sky athlete of the last decade. He is probably in his last season and we obviously don't know how good he will be doing this season, that's why the Swiss voted him. Roger still lost by the slimmest of the margin, something like 1-2%,so a really close decision that could have gone either way, showing that our tennis hero is surely appreciated by his own countrymen.
Come on... Most Swiss can't seem to truly appreciate Roger's greatness while they're fond of mugs such as Cuche, Luthi, Gut or Lambiel... They can't seem to figure out those just aren't in the same leage as Roger...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #827
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
There is an article from a Swiss journalist who writes that the people in Switzerland seem to have taken Roger's achievements for granted and don't really realise the meaning of his results.
I bitch about this for years I guess those who didn't vote for Roger were the same voting to ban the minarets... Bunch of narrow minded jackasses!
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #828
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #829
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Antonius View Post
I bitch about this for years I guess those who didn't vote for Roger were the same voting to ban the minarets... Bunch of narrow minded jackasses!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #830
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

never mind~it just a voted.
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #831
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...=2996&zoneid=9

Tiger as Athlete of Decade? Roger Was Robbed
By James Martin

’Tis the season... for sickening “Top 10” lists that wax poetic about the year’s most poignant moments. ’Tis the season... for tributes and fawning essays about the game’s most accomplished players. Well, ’tis the time to dose this holiday nonsense with some spiked eggnog that’ll put hair on anyone’s chest. You could come up with a pretty solid list of anti-cheer for ’09—the sorry state of women’s tennis, Serena’s tirade heard ’round the world, player injuries and withdrawals—but nothing should agitate the Scrooge in all of us more than the recent announcement that the Associated Press named Tiger Woods as “Athlete of the Decade,” ahead of Lance Armstrong at No. 2 and Roger Federer at No. 3.

Really? This vote feels like it has all of the legitimacy of Tammany Hall.

First of all, look at the statistics. If we can agree that it’s major titles that matter most in golf and tennis, the stats that should be used at the ultimate barometer of greatness in both sports, Federer wins. In the last decade, he won 15 major titles to Tiger’s 12. While both achievements are exceptional, Federer gets the edge not only because he leads in the count but also because he shattered his sport’s Grand Slam titles record. Tiger still trails Jack Nicklaus’ 18.

That should be the end of the debate. It isn’t, of course. This vote conjures up the old arguments about which sport is harder to dominate at the elite level. In golf, you play against the field, not head-to-head against your opponents. Tennis, meanwhile, has more in common with boxing. There’s no caddy to help you; it’s just you and your opponent, and the last one standing wins. In golf, so many shots have to be inch-perfect while tennis affords a greater margin for error. If you lose in golf, you can argue that the course defeated you just as much as the other players. In tennis, you have to live with the fact that someone else beat you—is better than you—which seems like a far bigger mental hurdle to overcome week in, week out.

But I digress. Because, with all due respect to golf and those who play it (myself included), I don’t buy into the notion that it’s a sport. Golf is certainly a highly skilled and difficult game to learn—perhaps the hardest of all to master. Darts and billiards are extremely difficult, too, but does that make them sports?

And last I looked, the AP gave this award to the “athlete” of the decade. Golfers, athletes? Tiger did take fitness to a new level on the PGA Tour, which is to say he didn’t have the man-boobs of Phil Mickelson and the butt of John Daly (well, until he had the fat taken out of him). But how can you compare these guys to professional tennis players? The former walk a course, don’t even carry their own bags, and take some swipes at a ball; the latter run ragged around a court that stresses their joints and muscles. One places a premium on concentration and an ability to keep your body flexible, the other places a premium on both of those things as well as strenuous aerobic and anaerobic activity.

But the tally is in, Tiger wins. Does anyone else get the impression that those who cast their votes know very little about the rigors of tennis but are intimately familiar with riding a cart with beer in hand and stogie in mouth? Let’s also remember that these are American sports writers—shocking, then, that they’d cast their ballot for the American over the strange Swiss guy. Either way, to snub Federer, or at least fail to put him at No. 2 behind Armstrong, is an outrage.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #832
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I love the "Christmas Roger "
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #833
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer: Invisible No. 15

by Nima Naderi Nima NaderiSenior Analyst

In most cases, tennis included, winning 15 major championships by any player in any sport should merit the award for best player of a generation, history, or in this case, decade.

But, in a disturbing recent vote by the Associated Press, Roger Federer was placed as the third most successful player of the decade, behind Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong.

Sure, at first I was truly shocked to see R-Fed ranked third on the list: Let's be honest here, Federer was utterly dominant during the last 10 years.

And before I continue, I want to make it very clear that what Tiger and Armstrong accomplished were commendable and outstanding achievements in their sports.

However, what was irritating, and down right troublesome to get by the was the lack of respect shown by the AP towards the game of tennis.

There is no question that golf is an uber-popular sport: The ratings and coverage significantly eclipse that of tennis.

In terms of Armstrong's No. 2 spot, it's easy to see how his perseverance through cancer and ability to capture seven Tour de France titles deserved its fare share of votes.

But when talking about the best, shouldn't the best be ranked at the top?

Federer's 10 years of domination—10 years in which he captured all four majors while breaking Pete Sampras' all-time record—should have received much more recognition.

Golf is, by every definition, a sport which battles the elements more than any other adversary. An opponent is not the greatest obstacle for a golfer; the wind, and the depth of the course are the greatest roadblocks.

Even though the margin for error of a tennis players is by no means as difficult as the day-to-day grind a golfer must face, the exact same climate concerns that golfers endure are matched by tennis players, with the addition of an opponent standing in their way.

Regardless of the grueling nature of cycling, its participants are challenged for only one month a year; one time a year.

With tennis' schedule spanning over 11-months, Federer's consistency and resilience throughout the past 10 years was both emphatic and commendable.

Dealing with constant court changes, new up-and-coming stars, no coaching, no golf caddy, and no pit stop attendant to aid with hydration, Federer's lonely, but successful trek to tennis' immortal realm should have been deemed with greater respect.

I'm not quite sure what the criteria was for picking the decade's best athlete, but when speaking of numbers alone, Federer's 15 majors clearly out-shined Woods' 12 and Armstrong's seven.

Some possible factors that should have been taken into account before overlooking Federer's mark as the decade's best athlete could have been the following:

Durability—Throughout the past 10 years, Federer never succumbed to any significant injury. His professionalism and commitment to keeping his body in tip-top shape was a testament to his dedication to continued success.

Winning percentage—In an era which saw the competition on tour reach fierce heights, Federer recorded an 80.8 winning percentage during his 839 matches (678-161). Winning over 80 percent of his matches, a stat that took Federer to five year-end No. 1 finishes, displayed his utter dominance against his opponents.

Independence—As documented, Federer's ability to travel and function throughout the decade without a permanent "full-time" must be reiterated.

The Swiss' mental fortitude and independence throughout his tenure at the top was perhaps his greatest accolade. Showing the innate ability to deal with the immense pressures of the sport, with no consistent coach, Federer exemplified his position as one of sport's most mentally strong competitors.

The numbers don't lie in Federer's favor, and when putting forth the remaining variables which encompass the three players at the top of decade's best, nothing short of sheer perplexity comes forth when attempting the figure out the Associated Press' decision.

I've always thought of tennis as a sport which exhausts every fiber of a player's being. The demanding week-to-week independence of the game is like no other in sport.

But when taking into account the variables that constitute the decade's best athlete, Federer clearly proved that he exhausted every resource at his disposal to ensure a consistent optimal output.

Woods and Armstrong certainly put forth substantial runs throughout the decade, shattering and creating new benchmarks for their respective sports.

However, when listing or creating the criteria for the decade's best athlete, Federer's rank (rip off) at No. 3 should have been reconsidered.

If anything, the AP should disclose a viable criteria for their voting process. A process which takes into account the records, the difficulty, season, and athleticism of the sport in question.

When those variables are taken into account, it's clear to me, anyways, that Federer deserves top honors.

www.bleacherreport.com

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #834
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

So Roger get's #3 in the AP poll and #3 in the Eurosport poll too. I don't know who the clown was that wrote the below, but what a bunch of BS.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/22122009/...r-federer.html
X-Factor: 6/10 - For all his awe-inspiring talent, Federer's personality just seems a little distant, a little cold, and maybe even a little dorky. It might sound shallow (in fact forget that, it IS shallow), you would expect the greatest tennis player ever to be a little bit cooler. 6 out of 10

Inspires universal admiration rather than fanatical support. Maybe it is because he is Swiss, or because he makes the game look so easy, but Federer is more liked than loved.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #835
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 12-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #836
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Federer ends year with top men’s player award

World number one Roger Federer has been named men’s tennis player of the year for the fifth time in his career.
The International Tennis Federation on Tuesday named Federer and top ranked Serena Williams as world champions for 2009.

The Swiss completed a career Grand Slam this year by winning the French Open and captured a record 15th major title after triumphing at Wimbledon. He also regained the top ranking from Rafael Nadal.

Serena and Venus Williams were selected as women's doubles world champions. Serena was the first player since Switzerland’s Martina Hingis in 1999 to receive both singles and doubles honours.

The awards will be handed out in a ceremony on June 1 at the French Open tournament.

Federer said it was honour to pick up the award again. “It was an incredible year for me both on and off the court. To win my first Roland Garros title, break the all-time Grand Slam record and regain the number one ranking is amazing. It means a lot to me to finish the year again at the top.”

Source: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/index.html?cid=7954534
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #837
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
So Roger get's #3 in the AP poll and #3 in the Eurosport poll too. I don't know who the clown was that wrote the below, but what a bunch of BS.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/22122009/...r-federer.html
X-Factor: 6/10 - For all his awe-inspiring talent, Federer's personality just seems a little distant, a little cold, and maybe even a little dorky. It might sound shallow (in fact forget that, it IS shallow), you would expect the greatest tennis player ever to be a little bit cooler. 6 out of 10

Inspires universal admiration rather than fanatical support. Maybe it is because he is Swiss, or because he makes the game look so easy, but Federer is more liked than loved.
that's ridiculous... so should roger have personality like woods so that the media can earn more $$$ writing more sensational articles on how his affairs with other women and how he spends the millions gambling away...?? maybe if he did do that... he'll be #1....

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #838
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

So ESPN classic is showing classic tennis matches the next couple weeks. Of course the two Roger matches they choose to show are ones he lost - AO '05 and Wimbledon '08. And the Wimbledon '08 match is being followed by Tiger Woods winning the '08 US Open.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #839
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #840
country flag SUKTUEN