Roger news and articles - Page 55 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #811
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

OFF COURT - CREDIT SUISSE SPORTS AWARDS

As 2009 is steadily coming to an end, it is time for the most important election in sports in Switzerland: the Credit Suisse Sports Awards ceremony will take place in Basel on the evening of December 12th.

Once again, Roger is among the nominees, facing competition by nine other athletes with a successful year behind them: Diego Benaglio (soccer), Fabian Cancellara (cycling, road), Dario Cologna (Nordic skiing, cross-country), Didier Cuche (Alpine skiing), Didier Défago (Alpine skiing), Daniel Hubmann (orienteering), Carlo Janka (Alpine skiing), Nino Schurter (cycling, mountainbike), Mark Streit (ice hockey).

"I am happy to have been nominated for the Credit Suisse Sports Awards again. I appreciate all the support and I would like to thank all fans for voting for me on Saturday evening", Roger said.

Eventually it is up to the Swiss TV audience to decide which athlete will take home the title (voting is only possible within Switzerland). Roger won the award 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 as an individual athlete as well as last year in the team-category together with Stanislas Wawrinka –after their victory at the Olympic Games in Beijing.

http://www.sports-awards.ch/index.cf...05809552ADA16A
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #812
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's 15-Slam decade was Grand as could be
By HOWARD FENDRICH (AP)

Set aside, for the moment, Roger Federer's athleticism and artistry, his sturdiness and strokes. Start instead with the pure numbers, simply because they serve as an objective — and overwhelming — measure of his supremacy on a tennis court:

_15 Grand Slam singles titles;

_21 Grand Slam finals overall, and 17 of the last 18;

_22 consecutive Grand Slam semifinal appearances;

_237 consecutive weeks (about 4 1/2 years) ranked No. 1;

_24 consecutive victories in tournament finals;

_65 consecutive victories on grass courts;

_56 consecutive victories on hard courts.

Go ahead, scan that list again.

All are records, some by large margins, surpassing the achievements of such greats of the game as Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver, John McEnroe. All were achieved during a remarkable run of dominance that began in 2003, building a case for Switzerland's Federer to be selected as The Associated Press' Athlete of the Decade.

"What he's done over the past five years has never, ever been done," Sampras said the day Federer won the 2009 French Open, "and probably will never, ever happen again."

That title in Paris this June was significant: Federer tied Sampras' career record of 14 major championships, a mark he would go on to eclipse a month later at Wimbledon; he finally ended his seemingly quixotic quest for a first French Open trophy; he became the sixth man in tennis history with a career Grand Slam.

And to think: On May 26, 2003, a 21-year-old Federer lost at the French Open to Peru's Luis Horna (it's OK to ask "Who?"), his sixth first-round exit in 16 career Grand Slam tournaments to date. That made Federer a combined 29-16 — a .644 winning percentage — at his sport's four most important sites, with zero semifinals in that span.

"I was so weak mentally," Federer once said, recalling that setback-cum-turning-point against Horna. "I had to toughen up a bit, you know? It was just one of those moments when I finally realized I have to still change a few things. Because I thought I had everything figured out by then. But I didn't."

He soon would. The very next major tournament, Wimbledon in 2003, represented the breakthrough. Starting with that fortnight, which culminated with Federer in tears on Centre Court after winning his first major title, his record at the past 26 Grand Slam events is 159-11, a .935 winning percentage.

Federer owns six championships from Wimbledon, five from the U.S. Open, three from the Australian Open, and that precious one from the French Open, part of his tour-leading haul of 61 titles this decade.

But enough with the numbers for now, because as informative as statistics may be, they hardly tell the full tale. Federer must be seen with racket in hand to truly appreciate the way he reshaped the geometry of tennis with an all-surface, all-around game full of verve and versatility.

At times, he's elegant. At others, overpowering. Serves, returns, forehands, backhands, volleys — name it, Federer excels at it, and can discuss it in three languages (his postmatch news conferences are routinely conducted in English, French and Swiss German).

He can outwit an opponent or outmuscle him. He can play aggressive offense or foe-dispiriting defense — and switch from one to the other in a blink. Like his pal Tiger Woods, Federer brings an unmatched creativity to his sport. Not only do both try shots hardly anyone else would even think of, they pull them off.

One example of recent vintage: Federer's back-to-the-net, between-the-legs, crosscourt passing shot against Novak Djokovic at this year's U.S. Open. If you're a tennis fan — scratch that, a sports fan — do yourself a favor and search for "Federer trick shot" on YouTube.

"It's amazing what sort of shots he can come with, from impossible positions," said Laver, who twice won a true, calendar-year Grand Slam, pretty much the only feat Federer hasn't accomplished. "It's a great feeling of being able to watch the talent that he has, and the opponents that he beats comfortably."

Yes, plenty of players could be excused for wishing they had come along in another era.

Consider Federer's head-to-head records against these former No. 1s and Grand Slam champions: Andre Agassi (8-3), Andy Roddick (19-2), Lleyton Hewitt (16-8), Marat Safin (10-2). Then there is Federer's record against Sampras — 1-0, thanks to a fourth-round upset at Wimbledon in 2001 that ended Pistol Pete's 31-match winning streak there.

If there is a sour note for Federer, of course, it is his 7-13 mark against Rafael Nadal, the one man who seems capable of transforming tennis' Mozart into Salieri. Nadal has defeated Federer in five of their seven Grand Slam final meetings, including at Wimbledon in 2008, an epic tussle that ended 9-7 in the fifth set at dusk and is considered by many the greatest match ever played.

Hey, even the elite can't win them all. Plus, it's worth noting that Nadal is always quick to refer to his rival as the best player in history.

Others do, too.

"What he's done is arguably as great of an achievement as anybody can ever have in any sport," said Agassi, an eight-time major champion who lost to Federer in the 2005 U.S. Open final, "and I think tennis is one of the most brutal forms of sport. I think it's physical, and there's so many components to come together to make a tennis player, from balance to power to grace to fitness to concentration."

Federer can't rely on teammates. Most of the time, he's without a coach, too, opting to work things out on his own. And his is not the every-four-years magnificence of an Olympian or half-calendar excellence of an NFL or baseball star. His is week-in, week-out, January-to-November, hopping-the-globe, indoor, outdoor, grass, clay, carpet, hard courts superiority.

Let's not forget durability, either. Federer played in all 40 Grand Slam tournaments from 2000-09, something only one other man managed to do.

Asked recently how he would make the argument for himself to win the AP's award, Federer began, "Oh, it's hard to talk about myself," and later noted, "so many other athletes did great things," mentioning Woods, for one.

Federer did point out something he thinks makes his sport unique, saying, "With the knockout system we have in tennis, you know, it's very hard to always keep on winning, because on a bad day, you're out of the tournament."

Not that he knows a whole lot about bad days. Just look at the numbers.

AP Sports Writer Chris Lehourites in London contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #813
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger wasn't voted as Swiss athlete of the year. The winner is Didier Cuche.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #814
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Wow, I've never heard of this person. Just shows how out of touch I am with Swiss athletes and the sport of Skiing.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #815
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

gotta love those Swiss, blind tennis hata's stabbing Rog in the back

no way should Bolt win the BBC tomorrow, i will be sickened if they give it to him for 10 seconds work compared to a lifetime of work at its peak this year, from Fed
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #816
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

The decision is a huge surprise, even for Cuche himself. There is an article from a Swiss journalist who writes that the people in Switzerland seem to have taken Roger's achievements for granted and don't really realise the meaning of his results.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #817
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad Roger can't be appreciated by his own countrymen.
I have never heard of Cuche in my life.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #818
country flag dj_mercury

dj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond reputedj_mercury has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Too bad Roger can't be appreciated by his own countrymen.
I have never heard of Cuche in my life.
Why make remarks about something you don't know nothing about?
Cuche is already 35 years old and just had his most successful sky season, while being the most consistent Swiss sky athlete of the last decade. He is probably in his last season and we obviously don't know how good he will be doing this season, that's why the Swiss voted him. Roger still lost by the slimmest of the margin, something like 1-2%,so a really close decision that could have gone either way, showing that our tennis hero is surely appreciated by his own countrymen.
dj_mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #819
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
who is he?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #820
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Bolt beat Fed to the BBC award
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #821
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Never in doubt.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #822
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Bolt beat Fed to the BBC award
I think it's normal but I'm still upset that Phelps was beaten for many awards by Bolt last year

Bolt would have many other opportunities, as it's proved now, whereas what Phelps had done last year was the greatest performance in swimming of all times, and imo one of the greatest performances in all sports of all times, if not the greatest.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #823
country flag SUKTUEN

Bolt is a great sportman also~~~

Roger ~~Catch Up in 2010!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #824
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't mind admitting I thought it was a crying shame that Roger didn't get the BBC Overseas Award after coming back from being written off by a lot of the media to win his much coveted FO title and regain Wimbledon to get the Slam record. As soon as I saw Michael Johnson step up to the podium, I switched over to another channel - it was obvious he wasn't going to give the award to a tennis player
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #825
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I think it's normal but I'm still upset that Phelps was beaten for many awards by Bolt last year

Bolt would have many other opportunities, as it's proved now, whereas what Phelps had done last year was the greatest performance in swimming of all times, and imo one of the greatest performances in all sports of all times, if not the greatest.
Agree. Phelps re-set the record for most gold medals in a single Olympics on top of breaking several world records in swimming. Wonder if the marijuana-pipe picture factored into their decision.
Rommella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote