Roger news and articles - Page 51 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #751
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
Enjoyed reading every one of those 6 pages in this article/interview. Lovely. ♥

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6917213.ece
A+ interview.

love the part about the whole 'god, it's killing me' quote. and i thought the interviewer insisting he was joking and federer saying he answered with 2012 olympics to shut people up, was pretty amusing, haha.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #752
country flag Midnight Ninja

Midnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer
I wish I could stop crying and could talk normally and give Rafa the stage he deserves and not make everybody feel so bad \’. This was upsetting me more than having lost the match
Great interview. Though I think the part about feeling bad about ruining the moment vs losing the match is BS.

At that moment it was just that, feeling horrible about losing the match. It might have later turned into feeling bad about ruining the moment.

It's also good he talks of his fighter spirit. I know Nadal is the famous Spartan here but the hypocrisy is enormous. Anytime Roddick or someone loses they are mental midgets and Nadals win are his Spartan abilities.

Finally, I hope other interviewers are as sensible as this one. I get that not everybody can get a one-on-one interview but stop wasting questions on diapers and helping out. I know people care about his personal life and no problem with asking the questions but repeatedly to get the same damn answer every time?
Midnight Ninja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #753
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. Great interview.

Honestly I'm sick of people thinking they know better how/what Roger was feeling after that AO final than he does. He didn't cry after losing any of the RG finals. Nor Wimbledon 2008. He didn't cry when he lost the US Open to JDMP. I have no doubt he was embarrassed that the waterworks started flowing on court during the trophy ceremony. And felt bad that the crowd was perhaps feeling more sad for him than happy for Nadal.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #754

Midnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond reputeMidnight Ninja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Honestly I'm sick of people thinking they know better how/what Roger was feeling after that AO final than he does. He didn't cry after losing any of the RG finals. Nor Wimbledon 2008. He didn't cry when he lost the US Open to JDMP. I have no doubt he was embarrassed that the waterworks started flowing on court during the trophy ceremony. And felt bad that the crowd was perhaps feeling more sad for him than happy for Nadal.
I'm assuming you're referring to me but I never said that he didn't feel bad about it. I just highly doubt the fact that he cried about it because he was embarrassed or due to crowd pity. Those were just an after effect of his crying. And I don't even doubt that he felt bad about it happening or that he's insincere about regretting stealing the moment.

Last edited by Midnight Ninja : 11-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #755
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Ninja View Post
Great interview. Though I think the part about feeling bad about ruining the moment vs losing the match is BS.

At that moment it was just that, feeling horrible about losing the match. It might have later turned into feeling bad about ruining the moment.

It's also good he talks of his fighter spirit. I know Nadal is the famous Spartan here but the hypocrisy is enormous. Anytime Roddick or someone loses they are mental midgets and Nadals win are his Spartan abilities.

Finally, I hope other interviewers are as sensible as this one. I get that not everybody can get a one-on-one interview but stop wasting questions on diapers and helping out. I know people care about his personal life and no problem with asking the questions but repeatedly to get the same damn answer every time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Thanks for posting. Great interview.

Quote:
I'm assuming you're referring to me but I never said that he didn't feel bad about it. I just highly doubt the fact that he cried about it because he was embarrassed or due to crowd pity. Those were just an after effect of his crying. And I don't even doubt that he felt bad about it happening or that he's insincere about stealing the moment.
i feel like there's a misunderstanding here, but i can't quite pinpoint where it went wrong.

anyway, isn't the whole ao final part about him saying, "god, it's killing me," rather than his tears? his tears and his inability to give a proper speech are just what prompted that particular quote.

midnight ninja, i don't think the ruining the moment/losing the match part is bs. at least, i think you're misunderstanding him. (or maybe i'm misunderstanding roger.) when he says, "this was upsetting me more than having lost the match," i think he's referring to the thing "god, it's killing me," thing, since a lot of people have speculated he said that because he was upset he lost the match, when actually, he said that because he couldn't give a proper speech because of his crying (he wasn't crying yet, at least there were no visible tears, but i guess he himself already felt the tears coming up).

...did that all make sense? if it didn't, it's because it's 3 am here. *excuses*
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #756

^^^ Yeah I think I misunderstood the post and was just about to edit out the BS bit.

This controversy wasn't worth it in the first place and 10 months down the line still isn't.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #757
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou so much~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #758
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I see someone had to dump this interview in GM so the tards there can rehash (for the umpteenth time) the AO trophy ceremony.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #759
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
I'm assuming you're referring to me but I never said that he didn't feel bad about it. I just highly doubt the fact that he cried about it because he was embarrassed or due to crowd pity. Those were just an after effect of his crying. And I don't even doubt that he felt bad about it happening or that he's insincere about regretting stealing the moment.
Not you specifically. Just pisses me off that there are those who think this was the worst thing ever to happen in tennis and when Roger tries to explain himself about it no one believes him because it doesn't fit their template.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #760
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice interview, especially his comments about certain players some folks around here like to bash so much, including those who feel like defending that/those players/mtf-posters when it's called for...
Thanks, Roger. You're a classy guy!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 AM   #761
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guess it helped that the one interviewing was once an athlete himself who could identify with the physical and mental rigors, the ups and downs -- that probably helped put Roger at ease. Roger must have also sensed that the guy wouldn't spin him so we end up with an interview that was not only very candid but also gave a good peek of Roger's internal wiring. His statements on Mirka and the twins ... awww.
Rommella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #762
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Very nice interview, especially his comments about certain players some folks around here like to bash so much, including those who feel like defending that/those players/mtf-posters when it's called for...
Thanks, Roger. You're a classy guy!
Roger saying something nice about Nadal and vice versa. All I can say is

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #763
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

http://emagazine.credit-suisse.com/a...258927&lang=EN

^^ Interview/video/ad thing.

OFF COURT - CREDIT SUISSE AND ROGER FEDERER ENTER LONG-TERM PARTNERSHIP

Credit Suisse today announced a long-term partnership agreement with Roger Federer. The world’s top tennis player, Roger Federer has won 15 Grand Slam titles and 61 singles tournaments. In an exclusive video interview, Roger Federer discusses the importance of teamwork in his sport and what drives him to achieve excellence.

As part of the partnership agreement, Credit Suisse will make a significant annual contribution to the Roger Federer Foundation, which is dedicated to helping disadvantaged children and to promoting education, sports and play, particularly in Africa. This commitment underscores the importance of corporate citizenship to both Roger Federer and to Credit Suisse.

Brady Dougan, Chief Executive Officer of Credit Suisse Group, said: “Credit Suisse is delighted and proud to be associating ourselves closely with Roger Federer – one of the greatest tennis players of all time, known and admired worldwide. Our decision to enter into a long-term partnership is driven by the fact that Roger represents the values that we embrace as a bank. He has a passion for excellence and is a great player. He has achieved this through a combination of hard work and determination. He brings all of his talent to bear in his play and raises the level of his game to meet the challenge in even the most trying of circumstances. At the same time he sets an example for responsible conduct both on and off the court. We also particularly share his passion for giving back to the community through his sponsoring of educational initiatives and look forward to supporting his charitable foundation.”

Roger Federer said: "I am excited about this opportunity to act as a global ambassador for Credit Suisse. They have been an important and trusted banking partner with me for a long time and I admire their passion for excellence. I also value Credit Suisse's substantial support for my foundation. I look forward to our ongoing partnership and helping make a contribution to the bank's continued success."
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #764
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #765
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If you've ever made a speech in public, or even missed a recitation piece when you were a child, you should understand that.

In the part you quote, he only answers a question about the sentence "God, it's killing me", only about that simple sentence and that simple moment.

Quote:
“The question, I suppose, is your changing mindset as your goals continue to evolve. In 2003, it was almost enough to have won Wimbledon. In 2009, you’ve just failed to win a 14th major and it’s: ‘God, this is killing me’.”

“That quote . . . was seen the wrong way. The thing that was killing me was having to talk while crying. What I meant was, ‘I wish I could stop crying and could talk normally and give Rafa the stage he deserves and not make everybody feel so bad [for me]’. This was upsetting me more than having lost the match. The last thing I wanted was for people to feel bad for me.
The journalist intendedly leads him to that question, with all the photos of the past he shows, and he has this conclusion from these sentences "your goals have evolved, in 2003 you were happy with one Wimbledon, now it's a catastrophe because you didn't win 14 (and equalize the record)".

The journalist's interpretation is something we have read very often here and there : "it was killing him" because he hadn't broken the record

... and Federer has read that interpretation (he mentions it just after, people considering it as a symbol "He started crying . . . He’s gone . . . This is it . . . The downfall")

Then Federer only answers about that sentence, and this interpretation :

he just says "it was very simple in reality" :

like everybody who is in front of a public and has to make a speech, and starts being ridiculous (crying, like here, or forgetting one's words ... ) ... goes to pieces and cries even more or loses his words even more, and you feel you're even more ridiculous and ... "God it's killing me".

Very natural and simple sentence, ridiculous sentence, not something which has to be overinterpreted for a whole carreer.

He felt ridiculous, that his whole speech was wasted ... including wasting Nadal's victory.

Of course he doesn't say that he's generally more disappointed about that than about the defeat.

But at THAT moment, that's what he felt and upset him : he was thinking about his speech, not about the defeat or general carreer ...

Of course tears had started arriving because he was disappointed (well, that's something which may happen when you lose, that you have to hold -see Roddick clearly in Wimbledon- ... but when you cannot hold it and it arrives, you suddenly lose your control and feel ridiculous).

I had always understood that sentence like that, that's very natural for whoever has made a speech in public, even missed a recitation piece when you were a child ...

but well, you know, tennis mythology needs symbols and overinterpretations and that's what happened.

He just answers about this overinterpretation and this peculiar moment, that's all.

Last edited by duong : 11-17-2009 at 02:19 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote