Roger news and articles - Page 27 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #391
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

What does Petra have to do with anything?
Can't stand this man

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #392
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

R Federer - 22 June 2009

Q. Is it every bit as special to walk out there another year, even if you're not officially the defending champion?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, yeah, it is very special. It will always remain this way, you know. It's a very privileged spot, you know, Monday, 1: 00 p.m., so of course I feel honored.

I know that Rafa deserves it obviously more than I do this year. But somebody had to do it, so I'm very happy that they chose me, of course. Yeah, gets your heart beating, that's for sure.

Q. If you had a chance to tell Rafa what he missed in terms of playing on that brand-new court, what would you tell him?

ROGER FEDERER: No, it's just being the first guy out on Centre Court, you know. Of course, there's been exhibition matches, you know, to test the roof and stuff, but it's not the same. I think it's already excitement when actually matches start at 12:00 or when the gates open at 10:00, it is, or 10:30. So when the people start coming into the grounds, it's just very special moments, you know. Obviously also the one when the first players walk out on Centre Court.

I mean, he's been part of incredible big matches, you know. Of course he wouldn't have a problem handling it, but it's still something he might obviously regret as well a little bit. That made his decision so difficult, I'm sure, as well.

Q. What about the feel of a perfect court that never has been played on before?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, when you get here early, too, you play on many great other grass courts, too. So, I mean, you can relate a little bit to it.

But it's just like the atmosphere out on Centre Court, you know, it's so different to Paris, for instance, or so different to what we just went through, the whole clay court season. It's just such a -- it's just different, you know. You've got to live through it to really be able to talk about it.

Q. There were times during your match today when I was reminded of an essay by the late American author, David Foster Wallace. It's called, Roger Federer as Religious Experience. I'm wondering if you have heard of this essay, read it, or what you think of it?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure, I remember his piece. I remember doing the interview here on the grounds up on the grass. I had a funny feeling walking out of the interview. I wasn't sure what was going to come out of it, because I didn't know exactly what direction he was going to go.

The piece was obviously fantastic. You know, yeah, it's completely different to what I've read in the past about me anyway.

Q. Can you make some comments on Lu's game?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I thought he played excellent, you know. He's a wonderful player. He has got a nice forehand, a nice backhand, very sound game all around. He's good all around. Seems like can he play well, especially on the quicker courts, hard courts and grass courts.

I knew the danger today. He's beaten good players in the past. I knew that as well, too, obviously. That was a tough first set. He actually remained tough throughout the match, which was good to see, in a way.

Q. What did you think of what it looks like now with the white roof there in place? Was there any part of you that secretly thought, Maybe I'd like to see what it looks like closed?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, well, sure. I mean, I guess the moment will come that I'll play indoors here, as well, you know. But you don't really hope for it during the match. Maybe before it's kind of nice so you play the whole match in the same way.

When I changed to, you know, not the Royal Box end, but the other end, and I saw the structure for the first time, because this is really where it stands out the most, it was different, you know.

But, you know, I've played in different Wimbledon Centre Court stadiums in the past few years now. Ones that didn't have a roof, ones that had the roof. I've been through all of those, but this one felt very much at home again. It felt great. It looks good, too, I think.

Q. Do you ever feel that you don't get as much credit as you deserve for making it as deep into tournaments as you do, not necessarily winning the tournaments, but winning these early-round matches that some might take for granted?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, not really. I mean, I think I get the respect I deserve, you know, and people know -- I hope at least they know how hard it is and difficult to play against all these guys.

Because you have a little slip here or there, you know, or you don't play maybe as well on those important points, you see how good all these guys are, like Lu for instance today. Makes it hard, you know, to win all the time.

But, you know, I think people are okay with it. Maybe there was a time in 2006, 2007 where people just thought everything's easy, but it never is. It might look easy, but it's not.

Q. What is the mental challenge of these early-round matches for you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, the first one is different, obviously, to, let's say, round two, three and four. First one you hopefully want to get off to a good start, get it out of the way, find your way into the tournament, get the atmosphere, you know, of a tournament.

Once you're in it, I think things kind of are just a little bit easier just because you've been able to watch a few matches, your mind's right in the tournament; whereas before you're trying to be in it. It can be over quickly. I mean, thank God it hasn't happened in a long, long time that I've lost in the first round of a slam.

But it's not so easy, and then you've got to stay concentrated for a long time. Two, three weeks is a long time.

Q. You spoke about the difference between the Roland Garros clay court crowd and the crowd here, the difference in that feeling. Could you talk about the difference in the feeling? Are you more comfortable here in front of this crowd?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, obviously it's fun playing in front of a crowd that's so respectful towards, you know, every point you play. If it's an error, you know, they don't like to really applause it too much. If it's a great point, then they really come out, you know; whereas in other places, you know, it's all about a good atmosphere, waiting for that big moment to happen, you know, just building it up slowly, you know.

That's what I like also about the US Open, for instance, or the Australian Open. You have day sessions and night sessions that make it very different atmospheres.

Honestly, I don't know which one I prefer the most. I think the change is good, you know. Because if every single tournament had the same atmosphere, that would be a little bit boring, you know.

But it's not the case. Every country has different cultures, so it means different atmosphere, different people sitting there. Sometimes they're younger; sometimes they're older. That also changes the atmosphere a bit.

Obviously here you have no music on the court, whereas in America you have a lot of music, even publicity. It's different, you know. I like that.

Q. Since you had no grass court warmup tournament like usual, did it make today any different for you?

ROGER FEDERER: It's funny, I actually didn't even think about it I didn't have a grass court match yet this year. It's something I completely forgot about. I just felt good in practice the last few days.

I had some good practice matches, you know, with Safin and Youzhny and Wawrinka. Some good quality players. I felt like I was, you know, in good shape for my first round. That's what I remembered, not if I did play a tournament or not before.

But actually I'm very happy with my first round. I thought it was a very solid performance, because that's what it took today against Lu.

Q. As the champion two years ago, you set an unofficial record for the length of time you graciously took all the media requests for interviews and were here late into the night. It seems like you did that at the French this past year. What makes you feel compelled to be gracious that way, to fulfill those requests to this point more than anyone else has done that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I guess it already starts that I speak a few different languages, you know. Then you have the papers, the radios, the magazines and whatever, you know. It ends up being a lot.

But, honestly, especially after I've won a tournament or if I think it's a big match, there is something, you know, that needs information, I don't mind giving time, you know. Half an hour more, one hour more sometimes, it's not the end of the world for me, you know.

I like to tell a good story. If it's -- the spectators who were in the stadium or there are people that couldn't be there, at least get something good to read about or to hear about.

I guess I was anyway well-educated in this regard. I just think that it's important to take that time. It's part of tennis today, and I guess with the different languages, you know, that's something different, too, than what has been in the past with other No. 1's in the world who always had one or maximum two languages. That's changed obviously with me coming around.

I've always enjoyed it. It's not the most fun part of the job, but I also have my good time.

Q. Last year wasn't as much fun?

ROGER FEDERER: It was a good year. I don't know what you saw.

Q. Last year at the finals here is what I meant.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, you lose, you leave. It's pretty simple. You don't want to hang around (smiling).

Q. Did you feel any nerves at all today coming into this tournament after the French? Is there a sense that history is behind you propelling you rather than in front of you?

ROGER FEDERER: I missed the question. I'm sorry.

Q. Did you feel any nerves today different than other years?

ROGER FEDERER: No.

Q. How was it different than other years you came on? Is there a sense after having won the French that history is behind you?

ROGER FEDERER: No, nothing to do with the whole history part here. Honestly, I felt the same -- this is six times I've done it now, opening Centre Court. I always pretty much felt the same. Or five times.

Just that first moment walking out, you know, visualizing, you know, what's gonna come walking down the corridor. Warming up for the first time here at Wimbledon, it's just sometimes not an easy thing to do. But it's a fun thing. It's what you dream about.

Yeah, so it's actually always felt the same. Then you forget about everything that's happened in the past, you, know. If you're a great champion or not, you just want to enjoy the moment and hopefully get off to a good start. You just put your head down.

So there's always nerves in every match, every first-round match at Wimbledon, I would say.

Q. When is the baby due?

ROGER FEDERER: I'm not saying. It's a pity we're moving on with language right now. So sorry (smiling).

Q. The one thing you haven't told is when the baby is due.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I won't tell you.

Q. Is it going to be this fortnight?

ROGER FEDERER: What did I just say? I'm going to repeat myself: I'm not going to tell you (smiling).
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #393
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
blablabla Petra Cetkovska blablabla
why talk about Petra when what you really want to do is bitch about Roger, Bodo? i mean, you could've devoted your entire article to your bitch rant instead of just half the article.

Quote:
It's distressing that Federer, who (admirably enough) claims to love "tradition" should be party to what amounts to a grotesque parody of it. Who's he trying to be, Big Bill Tilden - or some Don Ho cut loose on the greensward?
how about you stfu. not everyone hates the outfit, you ass.

Quote:
like some unsuspecting kid brother, lets his sister and her friends play dress-up with him. What next, lipstick and mom's pumps?
god, i hate this man.

Quote:
a series of Bozo the Clown outfits
SAYS BODO THE CLOWN.

Quote:
I mean, if every Tom, Dick and Harry could go out to Target and pick up a Roger Federer Wimbledon blazer,
this is a big fat lie. if it were available (and didn't cost 260 pounds like Nike asked for those limited releases) i would have it by now.

...if it *is* available, someone needs to tell me. now.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you really identify with The Mighty Fed, and have made your peace with the idea that you are not now, nor ever will be, be mistaken for a guy as classy and steeped in tennis tradition as Roger, you can express your fan-love and low self-esteem by scurrying off to the Nike store to buy a really nice $40 white t-shirt with the RF logo on the chest (and it's even bigger than that annoying polo player on the Ralph Lauren shirts, woo hoo!). That ought to be good enough for you, because like we said - he's Roger Federer and you're not.
wtf is with the "snob" thing? are Bodo and sawan secretly the same person?

Quote:
But at the end of the day, too many people are going to see Roger's kit and think: Guy's a heckuva tennis player, but he looks like such a weenie. I guess that's still what tennis is all about.
no one will care about these people if that's what they actually think.

what i basically want to say is: shut your dirty whore mouth, Bodo.
yeah, sorry, i just really felt like commenting on the article.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #394
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
Why did Bozo reference Bill Tilden? Because Tilden was gay? So because Roger likes to dress nice and cares about his appearance that equates to him being gay? And Mirka and family (Roger did say they'd like to have 3 or 4 children) is just a a cover-up? Bozo is a clown and an ass.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #395
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon-Dapper Federer prepares to dazzle again

LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Roger Federer’s early bow at the 2009 Wimbledon championships confirmed the Swiss maestro as the dandiest dresser at the All England Club and he will be aiming to dazzle the fans and his opponent once again on Wednesday.

His gleaming white jacket, cut in the style of a military general, earned lots of coverage from the fashion writers who inhabit the two-week grasscourt grand slam and his gold-trimmed bag would have looked more at home in an LA boutique.

But Federer does not need props to attract attention and he will provide the main course on an appetising day of second round matches when he takes on Spain’s Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

With lots of sunshine and temperatures expected to be in the high 20s, it is all a far cry from the last occasion five times champion Federer met a Spaniard across the Centre Court net.

That was 12 months ago when the sadly absent Rafael Nadal ambushed Federer in near darkness to rip the title from his hands and deprive him of a sixth consecutive triumph.

The 26-year-old Garcia-Lopez is no Nadal, however, and Federer should take another step towards what he hopes will be a record 15th grand slam title with relative ease.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...ters&type=lgns
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #396
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

R Federer - 24 June 2009
Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Q. Do you enjoy comfortable matches like that?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. Felt good, you know. I expected much harder because he's been playing well in Eastbourne it was. He reached the semis over there.

And I've played him twice before where I saw he has some, you know, good forehand and steady backhand. On grass, you never know, so...

I was quite surprised I was able to win so easily today.

Q. How are the courts playing? Have you noticed any difference between last year and this year?

ROGER FEDERER: No. They feel the same. I felt the difference between today and the other day. It was very humid on Monday, so it was very slippery, sort of wet. But today was perfect sunshine. Then it gets slippery because I guess it's so hot, so it's different.

But the courts play nice, you know. Very few bad bounces. So it's a beautiful court.

Q. No different to previous years?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't think so, no.

Q. They do change as the tournament goes on. Is that something you have to adjust to?

ROGER FEDERER: A little bit. Yeah, I was thinking that during the match today, that, you know, I came out today and felt quite different already to the first day. The courts get run down very quickly. Next time probably I'll see Centre Court again, it's got even more scars.

As you move on, it's the same thing. So it's quite a change. I mean, you don't have to adjust a whole lot. But there's definitely more bad bounces, you know, after a while, especially where the serving area is, you know. Maybe you play there later on in the tournament more often.

Q. What about the speed of the courts compared to the other years?

ROGER FEDERER: It feels the same. I think when it's humid like it was on Monday it feels quite slow, you know. Just the ball doesn't travel through the air so much. Maybe with the moist on the grass the ball gets just a bit fluffy. So maybe it feels a bit slower then.

But today, again, you know, it was good weather. The conditions are pretty quick. You know, it's hard to return. If you have an aggressive style of play, I mean, that's the way to play then.

Q. The weather has been great and the roof hasn't closed yet. Do you now start to feel that maybe you would like to see how it works, the effect of it?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I mean, there will always be a right time for those kind of things, you know. But I guess it would be nice to start off a match, you know, right away under the roof instead of going off and coming back on.

But that belongs to Wimbledon. You know, I've done it so many times. I don't get bothered by it. But I'm definitely looking forward to my first time under the roof, you know. I don't know if it's gonna be this year. But I'll stick around and get an opportunity. We'll see.

Q. We notice today after many years Mirka wasn't in your box. Should we wait for some special announcement to be made sooner than expected, or not?

ROGER FEDERER: No, no, not really. She's just not feeling, you know, a hundred percent. She only felt 95%, so we decided it's better if she takes it easy instead of sitting in the sun maybe, feeling worse the next day.

It's important for her to rest. She's already feeling better, which is good.

Q. Is it still 10 August, more or less, the date?

ROGER FEDERER: I never said it. I don't know who told you, but... you can speculate as much as you want.

Q. Mirka told me.

ROGER FEDERER: Mirka told you? I'm sure she did (smiling).

Q. Inside information.

ROGER FEDERER: She invited you, too, didn't she?

Q. A question about your Facebook account. Do you actually update everything yourself there? Was it all fun? What made you do that, your Facebook account?

ROGER FEDERER: I didn't understand the question, I'm sorry.

Q. Do you update everything yourself there?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, obviously I have a person who helps me doing it, because I can't go all the time on it. But I try to update it, you know, as frequently as I can. It's a fun thing, really, you know, that's been a lot of pleasure lately.

Yeah, it's amazing how the fan base grows quickly, you know. So many fantastic fans, not only on Facebook. I think we're close to two million fans over there, and 250,000 fans on my own website.

So it's been nice, and I like to interact. They mean a lot to me, you know, that they support me so much ‑ maybe not only by Internet, but also the stadium, I can feel that. It's a way to thank them.

Q. What does Wimbledon mean to you?

ROGER FEDERER: A lot (smiling). Well, it's a wonderful tournament with incredible history. I feel very privileged having had the opportunity to play here as a tennis player. I think there's only a few tournaments in the world that do that to you. As a little boy, you want to play at.

For me, there was probably like three or four tournaments growing up, but always Wimbledon was the biggest dream and the biggest stage. So I feel already happy just having played here. But obviously winning it is even much more than I ever thought I would achieve here.

Q. There was a story in the papers this morning about yet another report of suspicious betting surrounding a tennis match, one played at Wimbledon this week. What are your views on the problem? Is this something you talk about in the locker room?

ROGER FEDERER: No, we don't talk about it in the locker room. But it's happened more frequently than we talk about it. You know, if it's happening or not, we are suspecting. We're not sure. But, of course, it has no place, you know, in tennis, those kind of things.

But it's hard to control. But I'm sure the ATP and the ITF, we're trying our best, you know, to catch those guys ‑ if there are any out there. I think we should have, you know, massive bans on those who get caught so they get really scared of doing it.

We talk about it in the Player Council, Player Board. Those are things definitely we're trying to fight, you know. We have a good setup, so we can't avoid that there are some funny results sometimes here and there. You know, that doesn't mean it's really happening.

Q. Is it tough to control, given the amount of players in the world game, the amount of information, flow of information about injuries to bookmakers?

ROGER FEDERER: Look, I don't know. I've never been approached. I never knew it existed until a few years ago when all of a sudden I heard about it. So I've been shocked, you know, to hear it.

Well, we always hope, you know, that the players also want the best for the sport. That's, at the end of the day, what it comes down to.

Q. I wonder if you had a chance to watch Andy Murray's match yesterday, and whether you were surprised that he lost a set to Robert Kendrick?

ROGER FEDERER: I saw a little bit. I didn't see too much. But, no, I mean, we know Kendrick can be very dangerous. So it's always possible for a guy to lose a set, especially on grass. If he serves well, plays the big points well, a set goes by pretty quickly, you know.

But he came through, so everything's under control for you guys (smiling).

Q. We haven't seen too many people that have held the No. 1 ranking for a long time. Can you talk about why you think that is, and what are the challenges to regaining that ranking?

ROGER FEDERER: The beginning was too fast?

Q. Very few people have held the No. 1 ranking for a long period of time, not like a week or two, that have lost it and been able to regain it. Why do you think that is?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, the thing is, I guess, depending what kind of tournaments you do win, you know, it stays in your ‑ how do you say ‑ system for a long time. And then if you don't have those big tournaments or they come around just right away after 365 days when it's about to fall off again, you don't stay No. 1 for very long.

So I guess to stay at the top for a very long time, you got to win a few of those big ones. If you only win ‑‑ still it's good to win just a couple of slams a year. But if you only win maybe one, you have sort of average results otherwise, you probably won't stay No. 1 for very long, because the big tournaments will come around and chase you, you know.

Q. How about physically and mentally reaching that mountaintop, losing it, trying to get back?

ROGER FEDERER: That, to me, doesn't seem the biggest problem. I just think then, you know, it's just hard to regain it because you've already had so much success. You can't have success for 20 years. You can play well for a long period of time, but can you always and always win again in the big tournaments? Because those are the ones that throw off most points.

That makes it hard, because you have guys that are on fire as well. Maybe if it's just for a year, they take away the No. 1 ranking just for a year.

Q. You played in the Olympics. A late report reviewed that the air pollution level in Beijing Olympics were three times worse than in recent Olympic cities. You were playing there. Did the air quality cause you any problem at all?

ROGER FEDERER: In Beijing?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: I thought that one day where I practiced it was a bit funny, but I think that was also because it was a hundred percent humidity, which makes it hard already to breathe at 33 degrees.

Q. I mean the air quality instead of the weather.

ROGER FEDERER: No, it felt all right. I won in doubles, which is good, so...

I didn't feel any effect in doubles anyway.

Q. I have the feeling you're playing with a little bit more spin this year. Am I mistaken?

ROGER FEDERER: I think mistaken. Sorry to tell you (smiling).
trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #397
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish stroll for Federer

Wednesday, 24 June 2009
Written by Ronald Atkin

Roger Federer's Wimbledon stroll continues. Having conceded a mere seven games in the first round, the second seed and five-time champion permitted Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain just eight games as he forced his way into the last 32 of the men's singles.

His display in a 6-2, 6-2, 6-4 win in the Centre Court sunshine was another masterclass of tennis. It is already becoming very clear that the Swiss will take some stopping at the 2009 Championships.

Garcia-Lopez did not make his Centre Court debut without hope of making an impact. He is currently enjoying his highest-ever ranking (42), having won the first title of his career at Kitzbuhel last month. But that was on clay, and here he was up against a grass court maestro.

Even so, his ground strokes, propelled by an extravagant backswing, were often enough to get Federer scurrying in pursuit. However, when it came to consistency, he was found wanting at this, the highest level.

Having elected to serve first, Garcia-Lopez opened with a double fault, but promptly redeemed himself with an ace, though his composure was rapidly punctured when his serve was broken in the third game, a fate which he went on to suffer in the two subsequent sets.

Here was an indication of how Federer conducted the progress of the match, establishing early superiority and then working on the various aspects of his style from the comfort of a leading position.

Federer was impregnable on serve, dropping just five points in a 27-minute first set - one of which was that eye-opening rarity, a double fault from the Swiss - and he faced only two break points in the entire match.

Virtually the only time the number two seed's composure was shaken was when Garcia-Lopez arrowed some breathtaking backhands down the line.

But Federer possesses the full set of weaponry and the course of the match was inevitable, given those three early service breaks. In the second set, which lasted 32 minutes, the Swiss reached set point before delivering a huge serve. It was called out by a line judge but umpire Jake Garner immediately overruled that decision. This set-concluding act met with no complaint from Garcia-Lopez, who already knew well enough which way the tide was flowing.

After softening up the Spaniard with successive aces in the second game of what was the final set, Federer's almost casual purloining of the Garcia-Lopez serve simply emphasised the sheer genius of the man.

A determined Garcia-Lopez managed to cling onto his serve four times in the last set, but when it came to Federer serving for a place in the third round the Spaniard was a virtual spectator. Two more aces, taking his match total to 11, and a searing service winner took him to victory in a minute under an hour and a half.

Sportingly, Garcia-Lopez raised a smile as he warmly congratulated the winner at the net. As for Federer, his celebration with both arms raised high like a prizefighter was indication enough of his chances at The Championships this year.

Centre Court - Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Round
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez ESP 2 2 4

Roger Federer SUI (2) 6 6 6
Match Statistics

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #398
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbi...rry/article.do

Fed needing discount
Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #399
country flag SUKTUEN

thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #400
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityfed View Post
I second you Nadine.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #401
country flag icedevil0289

icedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer likes Indian food. Nice
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #402
country flag SUKTUEN

Federer's secret weapon

She shuns the limelight, but for nine years Mrs F has been right behind her hu***and's successes.

By Paul Newman

Saturday, 27 June 2009

Here's to you, Mrs Federer: Mirka is pregnant with the couple's first child but the due date has been kept secret

Miroslava Vavrinec's Olympic career was brief and far from glorious. Her only appearance, at the Sydney Games nine years ago, ended in a first-round exit at the hands of Elena Dementieva. She also fell at the first hurdle in the doubles, partnering Emmanuelle Gagliardi to defeat against the Venezuelans Milagros Sequera and Maria Vento.

The Games, nevertheless, were not without consequence for the 22-year-old. It was in Sydney that a fellow Swiss tennis player started paying her close attention. "I couldn't work out why he wanted to talk to me so much," she said later. "Then, near the end of the Games, he kissed me."

Roger Federer, who was 19, had said previously that he would "choose tennis over a girlfriend". However, since those first days of his relationship with Mirka (now known everywhere by the shortened version of her name), Federer has proved tennis and love can be a perfect match.

Speak to any of the five-times Wimbledon champion's close associates and they will tell you that he could not have achieved his success without the support of the woman who became his wife this year and will soon give birth to their first child. For the last six years Mirka has been his constant companion and the key player in Team Federer.

Having started by helping with his media relations and organising his travel, she has played an increasingly important role in all aspects of his professional life. She has even been his hitting partner.

"She has been with me day in and day out, throughout the world, and has helped me considerably as a person," Federer said recently. "I developed faster, grew faster with her. Thanks to her I have been very calm in the important moments in my career. She has always been here, always supportive. I owe her a lot."

It is no surprise many tennis players end up playing more than mixed doubles with each other. Globe-trotting is hardly an ideal platform for a steady relationship, unless your partner follows the same lifestyle. Even then it is not easy. Ana Ivanovic and Fernando Verdasco dated at the end of last year but their relationship did not last long in the public spotlight.

Nevertheless, there have been plenty of tennis marriages that have worked. Lew Hoad, like Federer the Adonis of his day, married his wife, Jenny, in Wimbledon in 1955 and they were together until his death 39 years later. John Newcombe married his wife, Angie, a German tennis player, in 1966. In more recent times Andre Agassi wed Steffi Graf.

Things might have been different for Roger and Mirka had her career taken off, but at 24 she played her last tournament because of a foot injury. It was a short career, for she had not taken up tennis until the age of nine.

Like Martina Hingis, Mirka was born in the Slovakian part of Czechoslovakia. Her family left for Switzerland when she was two. When she was nine they met another exile from Czechoslovakia, Martina Navratilova, who was playing in a tournament in Germany. Navratilova, impressed by Mirka's athletic frame, suggested she should try tennis. Mirka quickly took to the sport and was Swiss junior champion at 15. She had already taken up Swiss citizenship when she met Federer for the first time in 1997. She broke into the world's top 100 three years later.

The high point of her career came when she made the third round of the 2001 US Open, losing to Justine Henin, and reached her career-high world ranking of 76. The following January she partnered Federer in the Hopman Cup team event, but three months later her career was over.

By the following year, Mirka was attending tournaments with Federer and helping with his media dealings. Fiercely protective of her man, she has been known to burst into interviews, tapping her watch if she believes they have been going on too long. Nevertheless, nearly all who deal with her, whether journalists, officials or anyone else from the tennis world, like her business-like approach.

At Wimbledon in 2003, Mirka joined Federer in a cramped flat at Wimbledon. It proved a winning formula as Federer won his first Grand Slam title. At the end of the year Federer moved out of his parents' home and moved with Mirka into an apartment in Oberwil, near Basel. The partnership has blossomed in all respects ever since. Even the domestic chores are shared. "We make sure that we divide the work evenly," Federer once said.

In the early stages they did not want to be photographed together, though their attitude relaxed as Mirka became a permanent fixture in Federer's entourage. Nevertheless, they fiercely protect their privacy. Only close family and friends are ever invited into their home. Mirka nearly always attends Federer's matches but shuns the limelight and no longer gives interviews.

Team Federer is small and tight-knit. In Doha this year Mirka, now 31, was his only travelling companion. Generally the team numbers at least four. Severin Luthi, the Swiss Davis Cup captain, is his principal tennis associate, and Pierre Paganini his fitness adviser. Tony Godsick is his agent and former player Geraldine Dondit has taken over media duties during Mirka's pregnancy. Reto Staubli, a former player, is one of Federer's closest friends and sometimes his hitting partner. Federer's parents complete the line-up. Of the current generation of players, the closest to Federer are his Davis Cup colleagues, Yves Allegro, who is a former flat-mate, Marco Chiudinelli and Stanislas Wawrinka.

The tightness of the team was shown when nobody leaked news of Federer's Easter wedding, attended only by his inner circle. "It was nice sharing the moment with my family and closest friends," Federer said at the time. "I got very emotional – yet again. It was very nice. It was just nice to know that she loves me so much and I love her so much."

He added: "It's nice to be calling Mirka my wife and not my girlfriend. That's just a big change for me and maybe takes a bit of getting used to."

Will having a baby – whose due date is another secret – change their lives? The intention is for the family to travel together as much as possible. "It's obviously going to have a very positive impact for my personal life," Federer said. "I think for my tennis life, too, it's just going to make it more exciting, trying to find the best ways to balance both things. I know I'll be as professional as ever, even when the baby is there."

Other players who have become fathers warn life can become complicated. Ivan Ljubicic, who has a seven-month-old son, said: "I'm sure it's going to be a shock for him. Your life changes completely. Priorities are different. You're not the one in the family who's the most important. You kind of lose your wife for a while."

Federer insists, however, that having a baby can have only a positive effect. "I always had the dream that once I became No 1 in the world that if I had a child I hoped I would have it early enough so the child can see me playing," he said.

Ace dads: The father effect

Roger Federer might be hoping that Mirka does not follow the example of Rod Laver's wife, Mary, who gave birth to their son, Rick, in California within hours of Laver (below) winning the US Open in New York in 1969. The result completed his second Grand Slam, but it was the last of his major wins. Since 1980 only eight men have won Grand Slam tournaments after becoming fathers. Pat Cash, Andres Gomez, Petr Korda and Albert Costa all won only one major, while Boris Becker, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Andre Agassi added only one to their previous tallies as fathers. Other multiple champions like John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Stefan Edberg all failed to win more Grand Slam crowns after becoming fathers. The big exception to the rule was Jimmy Connors, who won three of his eight Grand Slam titles after the birth of his son.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #403
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
The Games, nevertheless, were not without consequence for the 22-year-old. It was in Sydney that a fellow Swiss tennis player started paying her close attention. "I couldn't work out why he wanted to talk to me so much," she said later. "Then, near the end of the Games, he kissed me."
This part just about killed me. Too cute.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #404
country flag SUKTUEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by recessional View Post
This part just about killed me. Too cute.
Roger is a sweet boyfriend~~
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #405
country flag SUKTUEN

R Federer - 29 June 2009
Monday, 29 June 2009

Q. Were you convinced that was going to go into a fourth? The way the serves were coming down, tiebreaks all around.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I had one little chance early on in the third, you know, to get the break. Then I think maybe things would have been easier in the third.

But, you know, it was sort of a serving contest out there today. Not many rallies, so maybe not as much fun for the people.

But I stayed calm, waited for my chance, and thank God I came up with a good forehand when I had to in the breaker. It was always gonna be hard for him to keep serving those big second serves when they really mattered. That's why I wasn't particularly surprised he hit a double‑fault at 5‑All in the breaker.

Q. A letter has gone out from the club about some ball‑boys being sent home with flu‑like symptoms. What have you been told and are you concerned about it?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I was told about it a couple days ago. For sure not good news, you know, especially, you know, for the players traveling around the world, meeting so many people. It's obviously not a good thing.

But I'm sure the club, ATP, ITF, they're trying their very best to protect us as much as they can. Being careful I think is very important right now.

Q. There's obviously a lot of pressure on Andy Murray this fortnight. Is it helping you, the fact that all the eyes aren't on you for once?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, we're playing not on the same day, so I don't really feel it's that way. Doesn't bother me anyway. Either way it is, you know, it's fine.

Important is that I keep on moving in the draw, that I'm playing well. I thought I played a great first week. Today was different just because there's not that many rallies. It was a different type of match. Could be the same again the next round.

So I'm excited I'm through to another quarter.

Q. Do you prepare any differently for a match against someone you know you have that 10‑0 record against?

ROGER FEDERER: It definitely changes when you play a player for the tenth time or for the first time, just because when you play someone for the first time you go ask many other players, many other people, you know, How does this person play on big points? What's their strengths, their weaknesses? So, you know, you try to scout out as much as you can, obviously with your coach.

When you play a player like Soderling, for instance, you know, who you've beaten already ten times in the pasts or you just play them very often, you know, it just shoots through your mind. All the information is right there, you know, stored somewhere.

I was expecting more baseline play, for instance, today. But I think you prepare particularly well for these kind of matches. You know, again, he's got nothing to lose. Grass is more dangerous than clay, let's say, that's why I knew there was danger all over.

If I was able to serve well and play well, I knew I obviously had a good chance, because I've got some confidence against him.

Q. You said you've been quite pleased with how you've played, how you've made it through to this point. What have you been most pleased with so far in your game?

ROGER FEDERER: Just being relaxed out on court. You know, no signs of panics, what I maybe had, you know, six months ago when I played. I would just feel uneasy. I wouldn't be exactly sure what the right plays were.

Now I feel perfect. You know, so from this standpoint it was great. I think I'm moving well, serving well. My rhythm from the baseline is well. So, you know, I'm just really, really pleased from this aspect.

Q. Is there a way to explain a period where you go through and you say you feel uneasy, unsure of which shot to play, after so much success, is that just basically the human mind or the human brain at work?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, I think every tournament is, again, so different. Every player makes it so ‑‑ tries to make it hard for you, tries to play the way that you don't like it. The rankings sometimes don't tell the truth, you know. Even though I guess at the top they do, you know. But in the back, I'm just saying between 10 and 50, there is so many good players that it's so hard to really get the edge over every single player. It's just difficult.

Once you maybe start off feeling that great, very quickly you fall into maybe that hole where it's kind of hard to get out of. I mean, I didn't have the problem, you know, to lose first and second rounds.

So thank God for me I made it to the semis and finals almost every tournament I played so I still had enough confidence. I guess I'm just a good enough player, you know, that I don't need to worry too much about losing in the early rounds.

But still, the danger's always there, and that's why I play well.

Q. How do you prepare to play against someone against Ivo Karlovic?

ROGER FEDERER: Same as I do against other players. I like those sort of challenges, you know. I mean, it's maybe not the most fun match to go through. But I like to beat this guy, you know, because he makes it hard on us, you know, to beat him. He's become an excellent player. Not only just his serve, he's got to have something more otherwise he wouldn't be ranked where he is and he wouldn't be beating all those good players.

He's not to be underestimated. I've played him on all surfaces in my career: indoors, outdoors, grass, clay. I've even played him here, so I would like to play him.

Q. But in practice sessions...

ROGER FEDERER: I don't practice with him. No, nothing.

Q. I know, but when you practice, do you practice returning this serve?

ROGER FEDERER: No. That's why it takes a little bit get used to in the beginning. I've also played him eight times. Nothing new for me.

Q. Despite last year's final, do you still regard this court like home cooking? It's like coming home to this court?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think having been here so many years now, having had so much success, yeah, definitely feel like there's a sense of coming home here. The finals of last year doesn't change a thing actually.

Q. The first time you were on the Centre Court, was there a feeling of awe or fright? Rod Laver said he just wanted to leave as soon as he could; he was overwhelmed.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I had an especially interesting first Centre Court appearance with playing Pete obviously. That adds to the whole drama. I mean, normally you only make it on Centre if you're very good yourself or if you play a top player yourself.

So from that standpoint it's always very interesting, always your first Centre Court appearance. Obviously playing Pete, going for his fifth Wimbledon, quite ironic now looking back at it. Cold hands. Pulse was racing. Di***elief, you know, that I was actually playing my hero, but also being for the first time on Centre Court. So my head was spinning.

But took me a couple of games and I was in it. It's interesting how the mind then, you know, goes into focus; whereas before there's so many questions, so many things flying around all around Centre Court.

Q. I think tennis fans would find it interesting that you have sort of all the scouting reports in your brain ready to go. Is there an example of where you really have had to change a scouting report and approach against a major player?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I always talk about my matches with Severin, for instance. I would like to play the way probably the opponent would play, what his strengths, what his weaknesses are, what's been working in my game so far this tournament, and whatnot, you know, how to avoid playing bad.

You know, you just put everything on the table and you talk about how you would like to approach the match. And I've done it many times. There's times where, you know, when I didn't have a coach, didn't have a manager, you just walk out on court. I spoke to Mirka a little bit, because she knows also a little bit about tennis. Today I don't talk to her about it anymore, I talk to Severin. So it works really well.

Q. Does an example come to mind where you changed your strategy or approach with a particular player?

ROGER FEDERER: The more you play a player, the more you know him. It actually helps and makes it easier normally. Of course if you don't have a very good record you try to look into that particular player maybe a little bit more, but there's only so much you can analyze. Afterwards you got to kind of perform, you know.

Q. How have you been killing time away from the court? Do you stay around Wimbledon? Do you get to go into London itself?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, try to go to London sometimes, you know. Not very much just because Mirka needs to rest. So we like hanging around at Wimbledon. It's quite relaxing, especially the whole clay court season is tough. The traveling. It's nice to get one of those weeks where you just stay put.

Q. Verdasco might be your next round opponent. That match is going on now with Karlovic. What is your scouting report on him and the different type of challenge he would be for you?

ROGER FEDERER: I played him in Indian Wells this year. I thought it was a tough match. Had it under control. He came back. Was supposed to win the second set. I think he served for the set there.

But he's a great player. He's really improved I think the last nine months since he won Davis Cup and played so well in Australia. He's always been dangerous, you know. He's always had that. But just now he seems more stable in his game and his mind and everything. This is obviously a big test for him right now.