Roger news and articles - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #331
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Posted on rf.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogislam55
Interview with Roger Federer in Sonntagszeitung 14.6.2009
translated from German. Inteviewers Simon Graf and Rene
Stauffer.

Q: On Friday Boris Becker married with many cameras involved.
Your marriage in mid-April was in a small circle under exclusion of the public. What do you think Becker's Media spectacle ?
Roger: I could not do this lik him. Or no, I could do it, but I would
not want it. But we are in totally different phases of our
lives. His tennis career is over. I nearly have the
impression, he decided a few years ago, that he would
not care anymore what people think of him. He said to
himself: Why make a secret of it, when I have fun to
talk about it. That one must accept
Q: Wtih you that's different. You protect yourself consequently,
R: I stand enough on the tennis court and therefore in public.
That's why i have to hide myself sometimes to find back to
myself and to remember who I am. Becker does not play
anymore, therefore he gives away all of his private life.
That's surely not for everybody, especially not in Switzerland. It's interesting but does not bother me.
Q: With marriage and the birth of your child you and your
wife Mirka are getting more attention than ever. Does this
bother you ?
R: At the moment not really. But the attention has grown
extremly in the last years. Also because of the super
sponsors, that are advertising all over the world also when
I am nor there. I can feel my high awareness level how
popular I am everywhere. And it's true, that my private
life is getting even more interesting. But Mirka dow not
search the public, she does not want to be famous and
photographed. That 's a big advantage and i hope that we
can protet our privat life also in the future.
Q: Are you not chased by paparazzis permanently ?
R: It's ok even though sometimes some waiting outside the
hotel. But especially here in Switzerland wir have our
privacy. It's a bit special that Mirka is photographed often
now because she is pregnant. But mostly one says, that
the women look more female and bloom. And that is also
case with Mirka. She looks terrific and she feels the same.
That's to my delight.
Q: According to CNN the child will be born in August. Is that
true?
R: Many things are said and written. You never know when
they (child) come. I hope at the right moment. But when
we expect it and if it will be a boy or a girl we will not
discuss with the press. That I have promised Mirka.
Q: Would you like to have bigger family?
R: We have spoken about several children. But let's just start
with one and then we will see.
Q. When did the wish for a child arise ?
R: We were talking a long time about it; Marriage, Children.
We asked us: when is the right moment. Because I want
to play tennis for a long time, it was clear for me that
have children during my career. Mirka is tree years older
than me and I also thought it's time. We were talking a long
time about marrige. But when we got conscious what it
takes to organize a bigger wedding, we decided to marry
on a smaller scale. With the child the timing seems to be
fine.
Q: Do you have respect of getting father?
R: When Mirka was pregnant in the first month. I had quite
a respect. I thought, soon the nine months are over, the
clock is ticking and then my life will change. After the
Australian Open, when I told it to my closest friends and
my parents, I releaxed, also because the reactions were
extremly positiv. Since then I am looking forward a lot
the more so as we will have a lot help, if we want it.
Although everybody is saying I would not be able to sleep.
But I thing we will find a solution. I have a good feeling
and i am not scared at all.
Q: Have you been inspired by friends that have children ?
Tiger Woods ? Gwen Stefani ?
R: The more children you have around you the more you get
inspired. I was often together with the children of Tony
Godsick with Isabelle and Nico or with those of Gavin
Rossdale and Gwen Stefani. There you see: Everthing is
not that difficult. Until I was 24,25 there were rarely
children around me. Then I did not know fundamental
things. Like: When do you start to play with the Kids ?
When they are one, two ore tree years old ? Meanwhlie
I have learned a lot. How they behave. Why they scream.
How one must handle them.
Q: Did you read into it ?
R: In the beginning I thought that I read a few books. But
I stopped reading quickly. Mirka reads now books to be
prepared. I have informed myself by talking to friends.
They told me how it was for them. That helps me the most.
Q: Will you Children grow up in Switzerland ?
R: Certain. I always said that I want to live in Switzerland
after my career. I feel comfortable here. It was never a
goal to move away. The people are friendly and nice.
Here I can still live normally.
Q: Can you imagine to settle down after your career and
to not travel around anymore ?
R: After the end of my career I will be glad not to have to
travel around anymore. But afterwards i will surely want
to see more of the world. The difference is, that I will
be able to decide myself, when I travel. I would like to be
more often at home. Two days at home and then move
again that's hard. A week like this one is worth gold.
Time is missing for friends or to go to the mountains. But
that's ok. Meanwhile many friends visit me at the
tournaments, because there I have more time for them.
Above all I am glad that Mirka has decided to be at the
tournaments together with the child.

End Part One Private Life

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #332
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

more from rf.com apparently Roger did quite a bit of media while back in Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFRoditeL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfan1414
This is what I got so far. It isnt perfect, but you get the main idea. I am using old memories of the language, and a translator... so, its not perfect...

The interview was done 5 days after his win at Roland Garros at his Parents home.

Roger has 14 Grand-Slam-titles and is one of only six players in tennis history that were able to win each major tournament. He is considered the best of all time, and yet what about the 27-year-old world star outside of tennis? What are his wishes, and anxieties how does he feel about Fatherhood? The BaZ asked Roger 55 questions, five days after its Paris triumph.

BaZ: Roger: How is it going after two weeks of playing in the dust and clay?

I am used to it now. The clay does get in my eyes for sure. The socks become very red. It is better on Grass or Hard court where these things dont occur.

2: What was the first thought that you had at Match point in Paris?

It was something simple. I created this. It was one of the most important victories of my career. It was a weight that was lifted. Certainly the first Wimbledon victory will remain always special, it gave me all that I have. It made me popular, gave me the self-confidence, was the realization of my childhood dream. All my idols did not win in Paris. Therefore Roland Garros is different. But this first win is immense.

3: did you think during a game once of the money?

Once. In Shanghai, in the first masters when I had qualified before the last group game for the semi finals. The win against Johansson was no longer important, but there was 150,000 francs for the victory! I thought almost in every rally: 150,000 francs! 150,000 francs! What can I buy? Everything! It was hell to think that in every shot of the money. That never happened.. fortunately for me.

4: Are you ever ashamed of your tears?

No, not ashamed It was embarrassing perhaps a little. the camera likes to focus closely on the tears. It is good to show emotions. I am actually happy that I do.

5. what would you want to have to be the perfect tennis player - without Roger Federer.

Serve, I take Andy Roddick, in addition David Nalbandians backhand, Rafael Nadals forehand and Lleyton Hewitts fighter qualities. There is no longer so many Volleys today, but I would say Stefan Edberg, Patrick Rafter or Tim Henman. And in the mental area, I take probably once again Nadal. This doesnt guarantee success, But it would be a very difficult to play against this opponent.

6: Who can you not be without as a tennis player

I could make actually all alone. But not so professionally and certainly not so well. Longest person I collaborate with is Pierre Paganini; he was certainly a very important man in my early career.

7: How do you spend a perfect day?

Without tennis: Either with friends, home - or with Mirka at the beach, on the Maledives: Romantic dinner maybe. Maybe to the Spa, massages watch the sunset and enjoy the waves.

8: With whom would - except your woman - you get stuck gladly in the elevator?

Then probably with my mommy.. (yes, it says mommy) lol

9: Who are your best friends?

Reto Staubli was my best man. Then there is Yves Allegro, Marco Chiudinelli, also Severin Lüthi.

10: Your favorite food?

I could eat Italian every day. I also like Japanese. And somehow my number 1 is always the Swiss food: Rösti, raclette, fondue - if I am at home.

11: What do you not like?

I was a vegetarian until I was 16. Then I went into the steak House during the 1998 Davis Cup with Marc Rosset. When I said that I eat no meat, he was surprised! He ordered me a small piece of every kind of meat out of the kitchen. I tried, some fit me - and so began that.

With Mirka on vacation in Thailand I discovered the seafood, and the fish - and today I eat actually everything. As a vegetarian, I experienced hard times at junior tournaments.

12: What do you do when you first wake up?

I snuggle with Mirka. That comes before I get out of bed. Then I go shower,brush my teeth and shave.

13: Your biggest flaw?

I used to always be late. It is today better. And sometimes I delay things that I could decide immediately.

14: What do you not like?

People who are impolite.

Again... its the best I can do... maybe someone can do a better job... but.. it'll do for now..

the rest will follow tomorrow. Its 1am and Im tired. lol

15. Are there still people who are rude/impolite to(wards) Roger Federer? When was the last time someone yelled at you?

When I was playing Exhibition-natches with Sampras in Asia, we were invited at the Prime-minister's of Malaysia. The man who arranged this spoke for half an hour - after two hours it was time for us to go. The dinner was still being served, and I called the person in charge, in order to complain for the fact that he had made us deal with this unpleasant situation. At that point I was very angry. He didn't like it and he yelled back at me. This wasn't good.

16. Which is the dumbest advice you have received during your career?

There have been whole match-analysis-attempts, eg vs Nadal, in which every single stroke was listed. Then there are people who make phone-calls all the time, who write to me, asking why I don't write back, saying I am impolite. But I am not sore at anyone, it's ok by me.

17. What are you afraid of?

Sky diving, bungee jumping, I don't need these things. I can't do those things. Since I'm pretty much a yellow-belly ( )

18. It is said that 99% of people know who Roger Federer is. Do you ever meet the remaining 1% ?

Yes, that happens. People who are not at all interested in sports, and who don't know that Switzerland exists. I don't expect everyone to know who I am. That's not what I think of life. Otherwise, it wouldn't be good.

19. When was the last time someone called you "Roschée" instead of "Rodscher" ?

In Paris this happenned 100 000-times in the past. But now it happens rarely, I have instructed the people well in the previous years, to make sure they will call me "Rodscher", because I was baptised that way and I live up to my south-african origin from my mother's side with pride. But I think It's funny when Romands and French write "Rodgeur" in order to read it in the right way. So far I haven't wanted this to change (?).

20. Who does someone admired admire?

Other sportsmen. Golfer Tiger Woods, he is an inspiration to me. Previously also basketball player Michael Jordan. And motorcycle driver Valentino Rossi, who I watch when I can. But also musicians, like former Bush (rock band) singer, who is a friend - and I have attended two concerts of his.

21. What will you be doing in 20 years?

I will be looking after my family of course. But I also see myself still working, not just sitting around, although I don't think it will have to do with tennis. Today I can't imagine myself as a coach, or as a TV-expert. I rather see myself associated with some sponsors or running my own business, if it still exists. Basically I believe that I will live in Switzerland and enjoy life.

22. You will be a father after Wimbledon. Have you and your wife attended a childbirthpreparation class?

No, we haven't. But friends have given us a tone of books on this subject, and I have read a little. But the most important thing for me is to exchange thoughts with other people who have already had this experience. And the doctor also gives you much information.

23. Have you chosen the names?
We have searched in Namebooks, but we haven't decided yet.

24. It is said/supposed to be a boy.
I have never confirmed this. We know what it is - and will not say.

25. When Barbara Becker was pregnant, Boris Becker also felt pregnant. Do you also feel like that?

It is definitely a very interesting period of time. It is incredible, how much I've found out about pregnancy, but also about women and what happens with them. That was very educational for me.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #333
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

that part of the 'restaurant' was kind of unclear to me
who did complain to, the guy from the restaurant or the guy who arranged the interview?

very sweet interview
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #334
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

such a sweet interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
that part of the 'restaurant' was kind of unclear to me
who did complain to, the guy from the restaurant or the guy who arranged the interview?

very sweet interview
yeah i don't get that part either.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #335
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou so so much!!

very interesting interview!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #336
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita View Post
such a sweet interview
There were 55 questions. Just waiting for the rest to be translated. In one of the interviews Roger said he and Mirka want to have 3 or 4 children - for sure more than one. Mirka could end up being pregnant for a good part of the rest of Roger's career.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #337
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

3 or 4 children ?????????????

Oh my GOD~~

thankyou so much for the translate~~55 questions is quite a lot!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #338
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
3 or 4 children ?????????????

Oh my GOD~~

thankyou so much for the translate~~55 questions is quite a lot!
Your welcome. Just to be clear, I didn't translate....just copied over from rf.com

Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #339
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

29. Zwei Kinder oder Grossfamilie?

Drei Kinder, vielleicht vier. Einfach mehr als nur eines. Aber vorerst freuen wir uns auf diese Geburt.

29. Two children or great family?

Three children, maybe four. Simply more than only one. But for the time being we are glad about this birth.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #340
country flag SUKTUEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Your welcome. Just to be clear, I didn't translate....just copied over from rf.com
that's also thanks to you, because I am not go to RF.com's forums very often~~
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #341
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
more from rf.com apparently Roger did quite a bit of media while back in Switzerland.
Thanks for posting it MY It's a lovely interview

Reto was Roger's best man, eh? That's nice.
trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #342
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
its ridiculous to add mcenroe, lendl and federer to sampras' list
Exactly Mcenroe retired in 1992, Lendle in 1994 and Boris Becker, Michael Stich, and Stefan Edberg all stopped being a force in Grand slams in the mid 1990s yet but somehow they always wind up being in the Sampras 'generation' or rivalry bracket even though Pete had an entire decade to him self until he retired in 2003!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #343
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

The rest of the interview Roger did posted on rf.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFRoditeL
I translated all the remaining answers, so I post it again. Enjoy!
26. Is the fact that you'll become a father only associated with anticipation or with worries as well?
----One has a lot of worries as well. It begins in the first few months, during which one must wait before announcing it (the pregnancy), until the doctors say what could go wrong.
But I am happy for the responsibility that comes with it. And tennis helps me. I have come through so many difficult situations, that I just have the feeling that we will be good parents.

27. Have you and Mirka got nicknames for each other?
-----Yes, we have many (nick)names. But i'd rather not mention them, otherwise they will make/be put in the title again. 8)

28. Disposable or cloth diapers?
-----Disposable diapers. We don't know anything else, although they are not environmentally friendly. But I do make sure that I recycle everything that is clear.

29. Two children or extended family?
-----Three children, maybe four. Just more than just one. But for the time being we are looking forward to this birth.

30. Stallone or De Niro?
-----I prefer action movies, so the answer is clear: Sylvester Stallone. I also like watching James Bond films.

31. Beer or wine?
-----Wine. (...Mit Bier konnte ich noch nie besonders viel anfangen...)

32. Bicycle or inline skates?
-----Definitely bicycle, I have done the other twice. Last time (I rode a bicycle) was after winning at the Davidoff Swiss Indoors, when I bicycled through Basel, after a dinner with a friend. That was a great feeling.

33. Harald Schmidt or Stefan Raab?
-----I like watching Raab's broadcasts. Abroad it is hardly possible most of the time. (...In Paris habe ich extra nachgefragt, also wurde mir der Sender installiert....)

34. Cornflakes or honey-bread?
-----Honey bread, but when abroad I must switch to cornflakes most of the time.

35. When you are at home: rather go out, or cook for yourself?
-----I like to eat at home. Mirka likes cooking, unlike me. I don't know how I did it , but I have been lucky because in my life there always have been good cooks around me: first my mother, now Mirka.

36. Do you rather help with ironing or vacuuming?
-----With vacuuming - I can do well.

37. Eminem or AC / DC?
-----Actually, rather rock. Especially during training at home, I hear hard stuff most of the time, Metallica or AC / DC.

38. Wet shaving or electric?
-----Only wet shaving. According to my contract with Gillette, I must be well-groomed. Since I shave every day, I have less skin problems. At tournaments, I am supplied with razors and blades.

39. Olympic Games Single Gold or Davis Cup?
-----Davis Cup, because I have already won Olympic Gold in doubles.

40. What surpises me about Rafael Nadal is:
...his consistency in his early years.

41. Training is for me:
...more fun than it used to be.

42. My weakest stroke is:
...the backhand return. And then I would like to be able to play more aggressively.

43. My dream double-partner is:
...Martina Hingis. I have already played with her, it was really fantastic. And with Mirka. After my Olympic Games victory, of course, Stanislas Wawrinka has also become my dream double-partner.

44. John McEnroe's behavior in his early years in my opinion:
...was very funny. In my early years I was funny as well (laughs).

45. If I could be someone else for one day, I would be:
...a musician.

46. On the dance floor I move:
...not that bad.

47. At school I hated:
..."hate" is the wrong word. I did not like getting up early and doing homework.

48. In Basel:
...I feel super-good.

49. Am I interested in politics?
...Yes and no. I'm barely here (in Switzerland). Therefore, I do not always vote. But I have followed the U.S. election campaign very intensively.

50. Wollerau:
...is good, and also a compromise. It's right in the middle between my parents and Mirka's parents.

51. I would change about myself:
...not too many things, at least not in tennis. But in my private life I will inevitably have to change, when our child comes.

52. I think being a worldwide star is:
...rather positive than negative.

53. If I could rule the world for one day, I would:
...make sure that there wouldn't be so many poor people out there.

54. I do/don't believe in God:
...do...

55. One day I would like as an inscription on my tombstone the words:
...hmm, since I hope that there is still much time till then, I won't answer.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #344
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcy View Post
Thanks for posting it MY It's a lovely interview

Reto was Roger's best man, eh? That's nice.
I when Roger said his Gillette contract requires him to be "well groomed".

Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #345
country flag clever1980

clever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond reputeclever1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting MY.
clever1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote