Roger news and articles - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #271
country flag anon57

anon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond reputeanon57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. B View Post
Del Potro threw an arm around Federer and told him, "Everybody wants you to lift the trophy."
I hope Soderling feels the same way
anon57 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #272
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Hopefully Roger is tuning out the media and ignoring everything. I heard he chose not to do a pre-final interview. Smart man.
They said in the Swiss news that he chose not to talk to the press today, Swiss TV was the only one he allowed at today's practice (was practicing with some French sparring (Haenel?) and Paganini watching).
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #273
country flag lina_seta

lina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond reputelina_seta has a reputation beyond repute

im so unbelievably nervous for tomorrow that im not able to study for my exaammm
why roger whyyy
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #274
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina_seta View Post
im so unbelievably nervous for tomorrow that im not able to study for my exaammm
why roger whyyy
Let's hope Roger wins it in straights and gives you time to cram for your exam. Good luck on your exam whenever it takes place. However this seems quite unlikely given Federer's recent form and the huge pressure he's been bestowed and Robins supreme surge of form.

Game on!
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #275
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerhingis View Post
Let's hope Roger wins it in straights and gives you time to cram for your exam. Good luck on your exam whenever it takes place. However this seems quite unlikely given Federer's recent form and the huge pressure he's been bestowed and Robins supreme surge of form.

Game on!

God knows he owes us a non-heart-in-your-shoe match
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #276
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

many body love Roger!!!

Roger keep fghting today!!!!!!

many people support you!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #277
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer one match away from elusive French Open title

June 06, 2009
Article from: Agence France-Presse

ROGER Federer is on course for a first French Open title, and a 14th Grand Slam trophy, with a thrilling recovery to beat Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro.
The world number two twice came from behind to defeat the towering South American fifth seed 3-6, 7-6 (7/2), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the semi-finals and will now face Roland Garros sensation Robin Soderling in Sunday's final.

Victory there will take Federer level with Pete Sampras's mark of 14 majors and make him only the sixth man to complete a career Grand Slam.

Soderling, the shock conqueror of four-time champion Rafael Nadal, also needed five sets to reach his maiden Grand Slam final with a 6-3, 7-5, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Chilean 12th seed Fernando Gonzalez.

Federer, defeated in the last three finals by Nadal, is closing in on his lifetime dream the hard way, having come back from a two-set deficit in the fourth round to beat Tommy Haas.

But he will go into his fourth Roland Garros final buoyed by a 9-0 career record over Soderling, including a straight sets win on the clay of Madrid on the eve of the French Open.

The 27-year-old Swiss star struggled to contain Del Potro in the early exchanges and it wasn't until the fourth set that he was able to carve out his first break on a chilly Paris evening.

"I was under pressure at the start. He had the upper hand at the baseline and deserved to be in the lead. It was important to stay with him and I think my serve got better as the match went on,'' said Federer.

"I knew I was in with a shot as I had confidence in my physical and mental abilities.

"I think also the conditions helped me. It got slow as the clouds came and became cooler and I knew if I could get the break that things could fall my way.''

Federer will not underestimate Soderling in the final.

"Soderling deserves to be there because he also beat Nadal and he was the man to beat in this tournament.''

With compatriot and six-time winner Bjorn Borg in support, the 24-year-old Soderling clinched another famous victory, coming back from 1-4 down in the final set against Gonzalez.

Soderling, who had never got beyond the third round in any of his 21 previous majors, is the first Swede to reach the final since coach Magnus Norman in 2000 while Mats Wilander was the country's last champion in 1988.

"At 4-1 down, 15-30 and I double-faulted, I was very tired. But I told myself that it wasn't going to end this way,'' said Soderling after his three and half hour battle.

"I felt like I could only do my best, that I didn't want to go off the court and feel like I didn't do my best in the fifth set. I just tried harder and all of a sudden it worked again.

"It's a great feeling to be in the final. If you had asked me a couple of years ago which Grand Slam final I'd play in 2009, I wouldn't have said Roland Garros.''

Gonzalez, who had been attempting to become the first Chilean in 49 years to reach the final, warned that Soderling will be a real danger in the title match.

"If he plays like he has all week, serving 200kmh on the lines, it's going to be tough for anyone,'' said the 28-year-old of a man who has also put out 10th seeded Russian Nikolay Davydenko and Spanish 14th seed David Ferrer in his run to the final.

Soderling had breezed through the first two sets before the big-hitting Chilean levelled the semi-final as the Swede, coached by compatriot and 2000 runner-up Magnus Norman, appeared to run out of steam.

The Chilean was quickly 2-0 and then 4-1 ahead in the decider, but Soderling retrieved the break to trail 3-4 and then incredibly broke again to lead 5-4.

He claimed victory with one final, power-packed, deep forehand which left Gonzalez floundering and the Swede on his knees in disbelief at his achievement.

"I had the match in my hands,'' the Chilean added ruefully.

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #278
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil0289 View Post
Apparently roger's advice helped Kuznetsova

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8087350.stm

And Kuznetsova, who moved to Spain as a 13-year-old, said that Federer had helped by backing her return to Russia.

Kuznetsova revealed: "He said - 'Look you can only depend on yourself. You can control it. If you can concentrate and live in Moscow, do this.'"

Roger
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by recessional View Post

Aw. Maybe that's one of the reasons she's a Roger fangirl? I remember Ana Ivanovic also saying Roger gave her advice, which really helped. (Though, it was more him saying something really obvious to her, something which everyone had been telling her, but because it was Roger, she really listened. )

Roger should give Dinara some advice, too. She could really use it.
How could anyone not listen to the Fed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey.my.dreamz View Post
ive read alot of ana ivanovic interviews on serbian newspaper and she always says the best for roger. ^^
That's nice to hear
trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #279
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Federer ties Sampras’ record of 14 major titles

PARIS(AP) —Roger Federer has won his first French Open championship to tie Pete Sampras’ record of 14 major titles and complete a career Grand Slam.

The second-seeded Federer beat No. 23 Robin Soderling of Sweden 6-1, 7-6 (1), 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros on Sunday.

Federer had lost to Rafael Nadal in the previous three French Open finals, but the four-time defending champion from Spain was upset by Soderling in the fourth round this year.

Federer added the French Open title to his five apiece from Wimbledon and the U.S. Open and three from the Australian Open.

www.yahoosports.com/ten

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #280
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrat Roger!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #281
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

Federer Career Grand Slam History
© Getty Images
By capturing his first Roland Garros title in his 11th attempt, Roger Federer not only completed a career Grand Slam, he tied the all-time record of 14 career major singles titles won by Pete Sampras.

The Swiss native improved to 14-5 lifetime in Grand Slam finals. He won his 14th title in his 40th career Slam tournament while Sampras earned his 14th crown in his 52nd major. Federer also accomplished the feat in a span less than seven years (in 24 Slams from first to 14th) while Sampras needed 13 years (in 45 Slams from first to 14th). Here is a breakdown of Federer’s finals:

GRAND SLAM FINALS (14-5)

Event Opponent Result
2003 Wimbledon Mark Philippoussis Won 76 62 76
2004 Australian Open Marat Safin Won 76 64 62
2004 Wimbledon Andy Roddick Won 46 75 76 64
2004 US Open Lleyton Hewitt Won 60 76 60
2005 Wimbledon Andy Roddick Won 62 76 64
2005 US Open Andre Agassi Won 63 26 76 61
2006 Australian Open Marcos Baghdatis Won 57 75 60 62
2006 Roland Garros Rafael Nadal Lost 16 61 64 76
2006 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal Won 60 76 67 63
2006 US Open Andy Roddick Won 62 46 75 61
2007 Australian Open Fernando Gonzalez Won 76 64 64
2007 Roland Garros Rafael Nadal Lost 63 46 63 64
2007 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal Won 76 46 76 26 62
2007 US Open Novak Djokovic Won 76 76 64
2008 Roland Garros Rafael Nadal Lost 61 63 60
2008 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal Lost 64 64 67 67 97
2008 US Open Andy Murray Won 62 75 62
2009 Roland Garros Robin Soderling Won 61 76 64

Federer’s 14 titles came at the expense of 11 opponents – Andy Roddick (three times), Rafael Nadal (twice), Andre Agassi, Marcos Baghdatis, Novak Djokovic, Fernando Gonzalez, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Murray, Mark Philippoussis, Robin Soderling and Marat Safin.

ALL-TIME GRAND SLAM SINGLES CHAMPIONS LEADERS

Federer has now reached 19 Grand Slam finals during his career, tying the record of Ivan Lendl, who compiled an 8-11 mark in Slam title matches. Here are the all-time leaders with their records in finals:

W-L Finals
1. Roger Federer (SUI) 14-5
Pete Sampras (USA) 14-4
3. Roy Emerson (AUS) 12-3
4. Bjorn Borg (SWE) 11-5
Rod Laver (AUS) 11-6
6. Bill Tilden (USA) 10-5

COMPARING THE GREAT ONES – A LOOK AT FEDERER & SAMPRAS

Federer Sampras
Age at 14th Grand Slam Title 27 31
Career Slams to win 14th G.S. Title 40 52
Span to win 14th Grand Slam Title 24 Slam Tourn. in 7 years 45 Slam Tourn. in 13 years
Grand Slam Breakdown: 174-24 203-38
- Australian Open 47-7 (3 Titles) 45-9 (2 Titles)
- Roland Garros 39-10 (1 Title) 24-13 (SF)
- Wimbledon 44-5 (5 Titles) 63-7 (7 Titles)
- US Open 45-4 (5 Titles) 71-9 (5 Titles)
Career Record 643-155 (.805) 762-222 (.774)
Career Titles 59 64
Weeks at No. 1 237 286
ATP World Tour Champion 4 Times 6 Times

Understanding the ATP World Tour

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #282
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

Pressure off for rest of my career, says Federer

PARIS, June 7 (Reuters) - Roger Federer said he would never again feel any pressure in his career after clinching his first French Open title with a 6-1 7-6 6-4 victory over Swede Robin Soderling on Sunday.

“It might be the greatest victory of my career,” said the 27-year-old Swiss, who equalled Pete Sampras’s record of 14 grand slam titles and became the sixth man to win all four majors.

“It takes away so much pressure. Now, I can play in peace for the rest of my career.

“Nobody will never tell me again that I have not won Roland Garros.”

World number two Federer was presented with the Musketeers’ Cup by Andre Agassi, the only man before him to have won the four grand slams on all surfaces.

“That he gives me the trophy, it’s too much, it was very nice of him to come here this year,” Federer told French TV channel France 2.

“He told me ‘it seems like it’s destiny for you, you deserve it’.”

Federer thanked the crowd for their warm support throughout the tournament.

“It feels good to be on the podium as the winner for once,” he said. “It is a magical moment.”

THREE PREVIOUS

The Swiss had lost the three previous French Open finals against four-times champion Rafael Nadal, who was beaten in the fourth round by the 23rd-seeded Soderling.

“Congratulations for your wonderful tournament,” he told the Swede.

A smiling Soderling said he was beaten by the “best player in history.”

“Yesterday, with my coach (Magnus Norman) we were joking, like nobody can beat me 10 times in a row,” he said, referring to Federer having beaten him in their nine previous encounters.
“We were wrong.”
trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #283
country flag SUKTUEN

Roger, hope you have a happy life in all the time!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #284
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

Federer Clinches Roland Garros Title To Seal Career Slam
© AFP/Getty Images
ATP World Tour No. 2 Roger Federer became the sixth man in history to win all four Grand Slam singles titles when he produced an exceptional performance to defeat Swede Robin Soderling 6-1, 7-6(1), 6-4 in the Roland Garros final on Sunday.
"This is the most satisfying win of my life, along with my first Wimbledon," Federer said. “I have tried for so many years, so there was much pressure involved... I always believed in it but it becomes harder with time.”

Federer said that he felt extra pressure after Soderling’s surprise fourth-round win over Rafael Nadal. “You never want anyone to lose, but I was relieved [when Nadal was knocked out] as I knew he would be the hardest win to beat. Bu then the press said if you don’t come through this year you are a bad player. It feels like I have played three or four finals.”

Federer was presented with the Coupe des Mousquetaires by Andre Agassi, who was the last man to complete the career Grand Slam - when he rallied from a two-set deficit against Andrei Medvedev in the 1999 Roland Garros final. The American was, like Federer, playing at Roland Garros for the 11th time and came into the clay-court major with an almost identical record to Federer – having compiled a 31-10 record at Roland Garros, while Federer entered with a 32-10 mark.

Victory for Federer also saw him tie Pete Sampras’ all-time record of 14 major singles titles. The 27 year old was playing in just his 40th Grand Slam tournament, while Sampras achieved the feat at his 52nd major. Sampras has held the record since the 2002 US Open, when he defeated Agassi in an all-American final before immediately retiring from professional tennis, aged 31.

Upon receiving 2000 South African Airways 2009 ATP Ranking points Federer is now virtually assured of his place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, where he is a four-time former champion. World No. 1 Rafael Nadal has already booked his place at the elite eight-man event, to be held for the first time at London’s O2 Arena.

It was Federer’s fourth successive appearance in the Roland Garros final, having finished runner-up to rival Rafael Nadal in the past three championship matches. Coming into the match, only Jimmy Connors, in the Open Era, had won more matches at Roland Garros (40-13 record) without going on to win the title. Federer had compiled a 38-10 record prior to Sunday’s final.

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #285
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Flawless Federer storms to historic first French crown

Sunday, June 7, 2009
By David Tutton

The tennis gods brewed up a storm around Roland Garros on Sunday afternoon as they prepared to welcome a new member into their midst. Roger Federer repelled the rain, thunder, and a certain Robin Soderling to take his rightful place among the immortals of the game.

The Swiss produced a near-flawless display, delighting his fans with the full range of shots that have made him arguably the greatest player of his era, to sweep aside Robin Soderling 6-1 7-6 6-4 and seal his first-ever French Open title. The triumph enabled Federer to become only the sixth man in history to win all four Grand Slam tournaments, and also saw him equal Pete Sampras’ record of 14 majors.

The enormity of his achievement was evident on match point when Federer fell to the red earth of Roland Garros weeping tears of joy. Minutes later, Andre Agassi was on hand to present the Coupe des Mousquetaires and share in the Swiss legend’s delight as he held the trophy to the air, 10 years after the American had sealed his own career Slam with a far more hard-fought win here over Andrei Medvedev.

Early stranglehold

Federer owed his victory to a brilliant performance, by far his best of the tournament, in which he took a stranglehold on the match from the outset and clinically dissected his opponent’s game.

Seemingly overwhelmed by the event, Soderling was unrecognizable in the first set from the man who had swept all before him – including four-time champion Rafael Nadal – in his run to the final. The giant Swede was simply unable to find any rhythm or indeed any semblance of the form he had shown throughout the tournament, not that Federer gave him the slightest chance to settle.

The Swiss is a past master at winning Grand Slam finals and his experience was made to tell as he immediately got into his groove. His first serve was strong (firing down 16 aces throughout the match), his shot selection astute and return of serve simply breathtaking. The Swede’s wayward hitting early on made it easy for him, but he needed no second invitation to rank up the games and move rapidly clear.

Federer mixed up his shots brilliantly, slicing on the backhand side before accelerating his forehand follow-up to knock his opponent off guard. While Soderling’s earlier adversaries, including Nadal, had to a certain extent played into his hands by trying to outhit the Swede in hard-hitting baseline exchanges. Roger was not about to fall into the same trap. Making full use of his superb drop shot, tricky slice and mid-court angles, he moved the Swede forward and back almost at will.

Stormy weather

The first set was over in the blink of an eye, 6-1, wrapped up in just 23 minutes. The only thing that could knock the world No2 off his stride was the on-court intruder who briefly unsettled his concentration at 2-1 in the second set. He lost that game, and with storm clouds beginning to hover over Philippe Chatrier court, the momentum gradually began to shift. Little by little, Soderling righted his ship, steadying his serve and finally hitting the booming forehands that had proved so devastating earlier over the previous fortnight.

The rain gained in intensity through the middle games of the second set, and with a delay looking more of a possibility, both players looked for the break that would give them a huge psychological advantage to take into the locker room. The drizzle eased off however, and Federer’s serve kept him out of trouble heading into the match-shaping tie-break.

Brilliant tie-break

The No2 seed then seized the moment to demonstrate why he is, for so many, the greatest player of all time. He banged down four aces no less, a forehand winner and a magnificent drop shot en route to a 7-1 success that earned him a two-set lead and definitively turned the match in his favour.

In a hangover from the tie-break, Soderling immediately dropped his serve in the next game – a crucial moment as the No23 seed actually looked the more dangerous player as the third set wore on. On the few occasions that he drew Federer into a long rally, Soderling would invariably pull out a winner, but the Swiss refused to be distracted from his game plan, throwing Soderling off his rhythm with kicking second serves when his first service began to falter and sending passing shots down the line whenever the Swede came to the net.

The Swede earned his first break point of the match at 1-3 and then again had a chance to break back at 4-5, 30-40 when Federer was serving for the match. Had he taken either of those two points, the outcome of the match may have been very different.

Fitting denouement

As it was, the end was what most neutrals had been hoping for, and suitably moving. Soderling mishit on break point to take us to deuce, Federer then coolly dispatched a volley to take himself to championship point, and a big serve was enough, as Soderling netted. Federer fell to his knees, the crowd rose to their feet and the thunder rumbled overhead…

Source: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...390898093.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote