Roger news and articles - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #226
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. How pleased were you to be able to cope with all the emotional highs and lows of that match? Looked like you should have lost the first set, you lost the second, should have lost the third, and you won it in four.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, could have won both, first three sets. Could have lost them, also. Of course, I'm thrilled, you know, to be through. It was sort of a fun match to be part of, you know, with so many ups and downs. It's not the usual, you know.
I thought Jose played well, and I started to struggle a little bit throughout the third set after sort of being up a break in the second set and things were looking like things were under control. I was mistaken.
I'm happy to have come through such a tough match, you know. Those matches are good, you know, knowing that physically it wasn't a problem. I'm excited about the next match, that's for sure.

Q. Do you think that during the most difficult moments of the match, especially the first three sets, you took advantage of your mental toughness, which is maybe even more than Acasuso's?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure. I mean, I guess in such a match it comes down to details, you know. Mentally I've always been very strong, but I'm not being put in a position like this very often, you know. So it was good to win both breakers. I mean, I definitely think he didn't play a good tiebreaker in the third set, but I had to get there first after being so bad.
I thought he made it really difficult for me today. I was looking for my game, you know, midway through the third set, just trying to get the rallies going my way. It was hard, because he was playing so well.
Definitely it was a sign of mental strength, and, you know, the physical abilities I have.

Q. Did you start to have any problem with your shoulder?

ROGER FEDERER: Shoulder?

Q. Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER: No. Not that I know of. (Laughter.)

Q. Was that a good kind of fighting match to get out of the way in this round as opposed to later on? And then perhaps, you know, something more about your clay game now.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, absolutely. I think conditions made it definitely hard today for the players, you know. It was slow, so you had to really be very patient and that might have played in his favor.
But, you know, coming through such a match is always a great feeling. Like I said, I'm not part of such close matches that often, you know. So when they happen, you know, it's great to put in the fight when you can. I was happy with my performance today, you know, because the stats actually looked pretty good. I just had to stay calm with all the ups and downs there were in the first three sets.

Q. In the last set, and when he got behind, he started to look a little discouraged or tired. Did that allow you to relax at all?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure, a little bit. But at the same time, you don't really relax until you have maybe double break, especially after seeing what happened one set before, you know, even with double break. You're not that relaxed anymore because conditions were kind of slow, and there was always a chance he might get back in it.
He definitely looked a bit tired to me. I was just trying to really tighten up my game, and I was able to do it and close him out. It was a good feeling.

Q. As fatherhood gets closer and closer, have you thought at all about how that's going to change your approach to tennis, or perhaps even to life?

ROGER FEDERER: Um, not a whole lot, but I'm very excited, obviously, about it. You know, we talk about it with Mirka on a regular basis, and I'm sure it's going to have a very positive impact, you know, for my personal life, obviously.
I think for my tennis life, too ,it's just going to make it more exciting, trying to find the best ways to balance both things. I know from my side I'll be as professional as ever, you know, even when the baby is there. It's something I'm really looking forward to, and, yeah, I'm excited.

Q. Do you have any kind of plan laid out for the first few weeks?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, Mirka would like to travel with me as much as possible, you know. But we'll see how it goes. I mean, honestly, I'm kind of in the French Open right now. I'm trying to, you know ,mentally also be with Mirka as much as I can, obviously.

Q. It looks like you do not have so many options on clay as on other surfaces. What's your thought about when one doesn't work? It's more difficult on clay?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, there's always going to be different types of games, you know, in all different surfaces, you know. Then you also have different opponents making it more difficult for you.
I think a player like José suits me definitely better on a faster court where I've played him a few times. But when you play him on clay, you've never played him there, that makes it more difficult than today. Conditions were very slow, extremely slow. It was even raining in the beginning.
So of course that takes away game plans, because you can't just attack the net blindly and try to bluff your way through a match like this, especially best of five set match.
Clearly it does take away options. Not just for me, but for anybody. I still feel I have plenty of ways to try and beat a player. José played me well today, and it was a close match.

Q. You've had a lot of success in Shanghai at the Masters Cup, but what do you envision it as you go there as a Masters Series? What kind of tournament is going to shape up?

ROGER FEDERER: I think it's going to be very exciting for the fans to see, you know. A ton of players all of a sudden, you know, after just seeing sort of a handful, and I think that's going to be nice.
Also, it's an outdoor event now, so the roof is going to be nice and open. It's going to look fabulous. Then the whole feeling on the grounds, you know, I think it's not something you really have during the Masters Cup. It was all based around center court.
So I think that's going to be nice for the Chinese fans to go there and see. I'm excited to go there, and hopefully it's going to be a nice event again. I'm sure they'll put on a beautiful tournament.

THE MODERATOR: Questions for French.

Q. At 5 1 you scared your fans. Were you afraid, too?

ROGER FEDERER: I think it was okay. But the way the game was in the third set, I was not particularly happy. I changed my tactic at the beginning of the third set. It didn't work out well, especially on my return, and that made things a bit more complex. I had to think about my tactics, and at the same time I was losing, so that wasn't fun.
But I tried to make his life difficult, and to come to an end in the game, but that was sufficient for me to be back in the set. That was a very nice match we had, and I'm very happy the way I fought today.

Q. Yes, but you didn't answer. Were you a bit worried at 5 1 in the third set?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, a bit. But I was not afraid to die, so everything was okay.

Q. That type of match, is that something you have to go through for a Grand Slam, having a difficult match? Does it make your life easier afterwards?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I like easy matches, but it's also nice to fight on these difficult matches, especially when you win. Then it's nice to talk about this match, but I have good experience here in Roland Garros on the center court.
Physically speaking, I was fine. I was fit. I can't forecast any problem for the future, and the work I did over the last month pays off.

Q. You explained your mistakes all along this match. Is it due to lack of concentration and lack of focus? Did it happen in your head, as well?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it's a combination of many things. He played very well. I was not managing and controlling the match the way I should have. Having him back, allowing him to come back was not a good thing.
Well, many things. My analysis now is different from the one I had at the end of the second set, which I should have won and I lost, but he did deserve a few sets.

Q. You talked about your tactical problems. Do you feel your game has evolved over the last years here in Roland Garros?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, quite clearly. At the beginning I had many difficulties with my backhand, for instance. For instance, in '03 when I won Wimbledon afterwards, I think I was not very solid from a mental standpoint. After I lost the first set, it was almost impossible for me to be back and win the match.
And I put too much pressure on myself, even before the match. Today I'm much calmer, which is very helpful. I also have more experience, so I know the players more than I used to. Physically, mentally, I'm stronger. I have improved my backhand, so I hope I play better today than I did a few years ago.

Q. On the match point, what was your feeling? Were you relieved you avoided a trap?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I had good feeling. I thought it was a very good match for me.
Many mistakes, but many mistakes in three and a half hours, that's pretty normal. But there were many winning points, as well. I made many aces, no double faults, so statistics were good for me.
What I want to say with the crowd at the end, they I had a standing ovation at the end, and that's very moving each time. I have a feeling I'm the grand favorite here in Paris, and that's very nice.

Q. Maybe this is a stupid question, but you won the draw and you decided to receive. Is it a new approach?

ROGER FEDERER: I returned? Okay. Okay. I returned. I was not serving. Yeah, I decided to return, because it was raining a bit. I said, Okay, serve. You first, and we'll see afterwards.
So I chose it. I made that decision because I didn't feel I was capable of scoring four aces in a row.

Q. A double question: Did you look at Mirka and Pierre any more than you usually do? And second question, why do you have to have the people supporting you each time?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I probably did look at them a bit more than during the first match, because well, I had more opportunities. When you have a fight like this one, your team is important, and they did support me.
I said to Mirka, It's important you’re main calm in difficult moments. Well, it's better for her right now. No, but it's fine with Pierre, Gary. They all supported me. That was important.
With the crowd? Honestly, I do nothing. Maybe this is what the people like. I'm not trying to seduce the crowd. I just try and play beautiful tennis. If they like it, great. If they don't like it, nothing I can do. I also think being a fair player with regards to your opponent, with regards to the game, with regards to the people there, it's very important to me, and this is something people seem to like.

Q. Between30 Celsius your first day and a humid atmosphere today, has the court evolved? Is it more of a problem? And if yes, do you look at the weather forecast?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, yes, of course. It has to do the weather has to do with the tension I decide for my racquets because the ball bounces more and the surface is faster. The kick was not going very high, and the ball remains lower.
Then there are advantages linked tothe conditions we had today. But the way Acasuso was playing today, maybe that was not a great advantage. But that's also the way I won in Hamburg, so that's why I like this surface.
When you know it's going to be wet weather you can adapt. I've been playing on wet clay courts since I was a young kid, so I know this surface.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...527446029.html

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #227
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, could have won both, first three sets. Could have lost them, also. Of course, I'm thrilled, you know, to be through. It was sort of a fun match to be part of, you know, with so many ups and downs. It's not the usual, you know.
I thought Jose played well, and I started to struggle a little bit throughout the third set after sort of being up a break in the second set and things were looking like things were under control. I was mistaken.
I'm happy to have come through such a tough match, you know. Those matches are good, you know, knowing that physically it wasn't a problem. I'm excited about the next match, that's for sure.
No that wasn't fun! For you maybe Feddie, but certainly not for us fans.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #228
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

It;s fun to watch it already knowing the result as I'm doing right now on the Replay Very funny to hear the comms say that if Acasuso plays the way he is, he should win this 3rd set ... but the other comms says he wouldn't bet money on it - how right he was.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #229
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Merci pour l'interview Rita It's always interesting to read what Roger has to say.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #230
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

A little change will go a long way for Fed

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

Roger Federer's unyielding mindset has stunted his success for quite some time.

PARIS -- As he politely tapped his red Wilson racket to acknowledge the standing ovation of the Roland Garros crowd on Thursday, Roger Federer wore a look somewhere between self-loathing and utter contempt.

He had just played a troubling second-round match, lasting nearly 3˝ hours, against Jose Acasuso, the erratic Argentine, and been lucky to escape with a 7-6 (8), 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-2 victory that was even closer than the score suggests, if that is possible.

"Could have won first three sets, could have lost them also," Federer said afterward. "Of course, I'm thrilled to be through. It was sort of a fun match to be part of, with so many ups and downs."

It was, in a sense, a microcosm of Federer's last 15 months. Since his straight-sets loss to Novak Djokovic in the finals of the Australian Open, he has been a marked man. Each tournament has presented the opportunity for pundits to pontificate on the state of his supposedly fragile psyche.

At times, these investigations have descended into hysteria. Indeed, some of the dispatches have read like obituaries. There was his humiliation in the French final when he won only four games against Rafael Nadal, then his loss in a glorious final at Wimbledon and the inevitable loss of his No. 1 ranking. Back in March, some saw Federer's infamous racket-smash in Miami -- a three-second echo of his angry junior days -- as the definitive sign that he had completely lost his mind.

Well, in the interest of equal time, let's review the state of Federer's game:

• He is the reigning U.S. Open champion and has reached 19 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals, nearly double the previous record of Rod Laver and Ivan Lendl (each managed 10).

• He remains the No. 2-ranked player in the world.

• He is coming off a straight-sets victory over Nadal in the Madrid final and is trying to reach the final here for the fourth straight year.

"I had problems in my back in February, so I missed Davis Cup," Federer said here last week. "I got married, so I didn't have much time to prepare for Monte Carlo. But then, between Monte Carlo and Rome, and Rome and Madrid, I practiced a lot. I trained a lot. I worked on my regularity, on my placement, and I had the feeling I was a bit slow on some of my shots.

"So I wanted to be more regular, to be able to do that for hours and hours. I worked a lot, and it paid of in Madrid. I was a bit surprised to see it paying off that quickly. I'm happy everything worked out well. Everything is OK to start this big tournament."

It is a marvelous achievement to reach three consecutive finals at Roland Garros, but when you are Federer it is not enough. He has been the world's second-best clay-court player, but so far Nadal has prevented him from winning a personal Grand Slam.

How does Federer change that? By changing. Those who have worked with him say it isn't easy to adjust a champion's mindset, particularly when there are 13 Grand Slam singles titles on the résumé.

"When you've won so many Grand Slams for so many years, small changes -- it feels like drastic changes," said ESPN analyst Darren Cahill. "It takes time. You can't just snap your fingers and do all the things all these people are telling you to do."

Cahill has some insight into Federer's struggle. He spent nine days working with him in Dubai as the two discussed a coaching arrangement. Ultimately, Cahill -- who has two young children and lives in Las Vegas -- opted to take a less-invasive job as an adidas consultant. Still, he sees signs that Federer is more flexible in his game plans.

One thing that gets lost, Cahill said, is that Federer actually has a full-time coach. He is Severin Luthi, the Swiss Davis Cup captain, and he worked with Federer for 35 weeks last year.

Ivan Lendl, the three-time French Open champion, said there is one solution:

"Winning breeds confidence, and he's not winning as much as he has in the past," Lendl said. "The guys are less afraid of you. I certainly cannot speak for Roger, but no matter who you are, everybody needs confidence."

The need to evolve

Jose Higueras was Federer's coach through last year's clay-court season that ended badly in Paris.

He was asked recently if the very thing that makes Federer the great champion he is -- stubbornness -- prevented him from modifying his game to deal with the younger players who are starting to beat him.

"You can say that," said Higueras, after a long pause. "The thing I stressed with him -- we keep in touch still -- you have to get better, with everybody else. There's not that much that can be better. But I feel if he gets back maybe 3, 4 percent, that's a big difference, maybe the difference between three or four more Grand Slams.

"Roger, if you saw him play three years ago, he was the best player in the world. He didn't like much change in anything."

Higueras paused again.

[+] EnlargeMatthew Stockman/Getty Images
Despite a slew of desultory performances, Roger Federer has reached 19 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals."As champions get older, "he said, "they need to evolve. Rafa -- he's still getting better. At the same time, if he doesn't keep evolving, people will catch him from behind."

A year after Higueras tried to convince Federer to be more aggressive on clay -- to take bigger swings at second serves, make the occasional journey to net, try some drop shots for a change of pace and hit his forehand harder and deeper (in short, cast his lot with more risk and greater reward) -- he did just that in Madrid.

Sure, Nadal was spent after a four-hour-plus match with Djokovic, but Federer showed signs that he is making those subtle changes.

"That first-round match [in the French Open, against Alberto Martin], he was working on his drop shots, trying some things," Cahill said. "It was a practice match for the rest of the tournament."

The second round was far more difficult. Acasuso actually had a 6-3 lead in the first-set tiebreaker and squandered four set points before Federer won the final point with a serve outside and a delicate drop shot. After losing the second set, Federer fell behind 5-1 in the third.

Was he worried? "Yes, a bit," Federer said. "But I was not afraid to die, so everything was OK."

Sure enough, Federer saved another set point and rallied to force another tiebreaker, which seemed to break Acasuso's spirit. Federer won that breaker easily and took six of the last seven games in the final set.

"I'm happy to have come through such a tough match," he said. "I'm excited about the next match, that's for sure."

If the draw progresses as expected -- although, suddenly, the prospect of meeting Frenchmen Paul-Henri Mathieu or Jeremy Chardy in the next few rounds feels vaguely uncomfortable -- Federer would meet Novak Djokovic in the semifinals. After pushing Nadal to the very brink in Madrid, Djokovic has been anointed as the man most likely to beat Nadal. Federer aches to change that perception.

Much has been made of Federer's spasm of temper in Miami, but Cahill saw it as a positive thing, a back-to-the-future message.

"That sent him back to his junior days," Cahill said. "It showed he cares. The young Roger wanted to show the world he could be one of the best players in the world. He wants to do that again.

"I think he's got his spark back."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...reg&id=4212328
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #231
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Much has been made of Federer's spasm of temper in Miami, but Cahill saw it as a positive thing, a back-to-the-future message.

"That sent him back to his junior days," Cahill said. "It showed he cares. The young Roger wanted to show the world he could be one of the best players in the world. He wants to do that again.

"I think he's got his spark back."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...reg&id=4212328
I pray you are right, Tiger. For his sake and, especially, mine. This roller-coaster ride is going to be the death of me.
Rommella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #232
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the interview~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #233
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

From The Times
May 31, 2009

Roger Federer hitting form in French Open
A splendid recovery in Paris shows the former world No1 is almost back to his best after months of anguish and uncertainty
Nick Pitt

There is an air of hope and vitality in Paris, for Roger Federer and all who are moved by the rich uncertainties of sporting contest. Only a few weeks ago, the prospect of another title for Rafael Nadal, claimed without challenge and concluded by a ritual thrashing of Federer, invited boredom for most, dread for the Swiss.

But after months of anguish and uncertainty, Federer seems a liberated man, the attacking genius of old. Yesterday, he dealt with difficult conditions, with the red dust swirling around as if it was a Texas cattle drive, and an awkward opponent, in Paul-Henri Mathieu, who went for his shots with nothing to lose and made an outrageous number of them. After losing the first set, Federer tightened his game and took control, winning the third-round match 4-6 6-1 6-4 6-4.

His cause was further improved by the very surprising straight-sets defeat of Novak Djokovic, who was the most obvious danger on his side of the draw. Djokovic was flat, almost mediocre, as he lost all three sets to Philipp Kohlschreiber by six games to four. Sometimes, Djokovic wilts in the heat and he admitted that he had no answers to the German, who played as well as required. Nor did Djokovic have a good answer to what was wrong. “I played too passive,” he said. “I couldn’t find my rhythm at all.”

After holding match points against Nadal in Madrid, Djokovic had legitimate hopes of challenging him for the French title and he was very disappointed. But he has a history of losing the physical battle. At the Australian Open this year, he pulled out during his match with Andy Roddick, just as he had at Monte Carlo against Federer in 2008.

It’s not hard to trace Federer’s new-found spirit and confidence, for a fortnight back he cast aside his misery and five consecutive defeats against Nadal by beating him emphatically in Madrid, and on clay. Now that Nadal owns all that Federer holds dear in the game, the psychological tables are turned. Nadal has to defend his position as No 1, as well as his titles, and holding the castle is less natural to him than marauding. Furthermore, those clamouring at the walls are acting for the moment in the common interest to bring him down. In Madrid, Djokovic wounded Nadal in the semi-finals in a three-set match lasting four hours; Federer finished him off.

When Federer was at the summit, he had one adversary to really worry about: Nadal. Nadal has several: Djokovic, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Federer.

While Djokovic lost tamely, others who might threaten Nadal remain. Del Potro beat Igor Andreev with ease and has yet to drop a set in three rounds. Nor has Tsonga, who brushed aside Christophe Rochus. But it is the resurgence of Federer that is most intriguing and welcome. His fall over the past year had a tragic quality. Hailed as the athletic wonder of our age, his adornments were stripped from him one by one.

When he lost to Nadal in the Australian Open final, Federer wept, and even those who support and admire Nadal had to shed a tear. For while Nadal and most in the hunting pack all have astonishing and varied gifts, none brings such fearful beauty to the game as Federer.

Perhaps he needed to hit the bottom before he could rebound. During the clay-court season, he worked hard on his game and condition, trying to take his game from 98% to 100%, the margin by which he reckoned he had slipped.

He found the two per cent and although there were extenuating circumstances for Nadal in Madrid, Federer was scintillating, his old self, attacking flat out, imposing his own game rather than trying to prove he could match Nadal in a war of attrition. And the weapons, so recently rusty, gleamed in the sun. Federer’s service thundered; his forehand was devastating, but sure.

Most of all, he had the surge of confidence, and that, of course, comes in and recedes not in margins but floods.

The imperative question is whether Federer can sustain his resurgence, the flood-tide of optimism. If he can, he might not be able to win at Roland Garros — with Nadal around, that seems beyond him, and Nadal is crushing all-comers as usual. But Federer might manage to give Nadal a contest and go on to achieve two goals closer to his heart: he can win Wimbledon again; and before the year is out he can be the world No 1.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #234
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

nice article

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #235
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #236
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

R. FEDERER/T. Haas

6‑7, 5‑7, 6‑4, 6‑0, 6‑2

An interview with:

ROGERFEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. The question for the last month or maybe more has been, What does Rogerhave to do to beat Rafa? You don't haveto answer that anymore, I guess. Are yourelieved?

ROGER FEDERER:
Um, he didn't retire, right? (Laughter) No, he'll bounce back strong. I'm convinced about that. Sure, it was a big upset, but I mean, thefocus wasn't really there, to be quite honest.

Of course, my dreamscenario is to beat Rafa here in the finals, but I gotta concentrate on my partof the draw and make sure I come through like today.

Tommy Haas was very good today, so this iswhere my focus was, and will be also in my next round.

Q. Beingtwo sets down is difficult for any player on a five‑setter, but especially whenDjokovic and Nadal had lost, did that put extra pressure on you? In the third set at 4‑4, he made a doublefault when he had an advantage. Didthat...

ROGER FEDERER:
I don't remember. No, I mean, I thought actually I wasplaying ‑‑ serving all right, especially for a set and a half. You know, I was down a set but up in thesecond set. Unfortunately I got broken,I think it was 4‑3. That definitely mademe a little bit nervous, you know, just knowing that I still haven't reallyfound my range and my rhythm from the baseline.

Tommy was also servinghimself extremely well, you know, and mixing up his game very well. So I definitely felt under pressurethere. He played another pretty goodgame to break me and get the set and stuff, but I tried to remain calm.

In a situation like this, you don't reallythink about whoever is out of the draw or not. You just try to come through yourself, and it's hard enough, you know,to stay positive when you're down two sets to love and a break point.

It was a great battle for me, andI'm thrilled to be through and given another chance here.

Q. Itgoes without saying that you're a fabulous professional, and you're known foryour focus. But you're a human being,too. Can you share with us what yourthoughts were when your great rival lost? What went through your mind in terms of your opportunities and what youwould have to do just with the whole psychological situation and the realsituation of Rafa not being here?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, I mean, I watched ‑‑ I only sawthe last bit because I was practicing and in transportation. Soderling certainly played great when he hadto towards the end. He didn't getnervous. Didn't look like it,anyway. He came up with the right playsevery single time, especially in the breaker when it really mattered.

I mean, it just showsthat it's hard, you know, to win day in, day out at a particulartournament. His incredible run stretchesback to a few years ago. He won over 30matches in a row here.

It's a phenomenal achievement, but it justshows that we're all human. We all loseat some stage, and people always make it sound so simple since like five years,that it's normal that he wins on clay, I win on grass, and then we share thehardcourts. It's not just the way it is.

I speak firsthand, you know, knowingwhat it takes to dominate. You know, Ithink he knows that, too, already since quite a while. But it's I think the press that blow it up orhype it up a bit too much that you are invincible, unbeatable.

Tennis is not like this. You come out and you always have guys goingafter you, like Tommy Haas today, like Soderling yesterday. I think it only gives them extra motivationknowing that you're the guy to beat or ‑‑ they have nothing to lose, because ifthey lose, it's a normal result. If theywin, it's an incredible achievement.

That's what Soderling was able todo, and it definitely creates some mind plays, I think, in some of the players'minds. You know, knowing that now theirsection is open. Mine hasn't beenaffected in a big way because I'm on the other side of the draw.

But I think for a lot of playersover there, I think it must be quite a big opportunity, and their heads must bespinning right now.

Q. Howmuch of this newly‑opened scenario is an opportunity, and how much of thatopportunity is a burden?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, I mean, I'm used to any kind of asituation, so it doesn't affect me in a big way.

Sure, you're aware ofit. You try and stay in the draw, but,you know, at the end of the day you're focusing on your shots and your matchand on how you play and the game plan against that player.

Not a whole lot more. I think if you make it to the finals thenit's a different scenario. Becausewhoever I play in the finals I probably have a decent record against, you know,which wouldn't be the case with Rafa, knowing that he has all the experienceand the confidence, you know, of winning here.

Definitely changes it up if I wereto make the final. But we're not thereyet, so honestly it hasn't changed a whole lot for me.

Q. 3‑4in the fourth when you have break point against you and you hit the inside‑outforehand for a winner. I asked Tommyabout that. You know that much, maybe itgoes out and it lands in. I said, Longcareer. How do you feel about pointslike that? He says, That's just RogerFederer being Roger Federer. How doesRoger Federer explain a shot like that at a crucial moment?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, I mean, I was struggling throughout thefirst two‑and‑a‑half sets from the baseline. I was serving all right, and that was keeping me in the match. Again, swirly winds made it hard for both ofus to keep the ball under control, especially that we both play sooffensively. You know, the rallies werealways going to be short.

That thing can stretchthrough a longer period of time not having any rhythm. I thought almost that it was my first goodshot of the match. It came on a breakpoint on the third set. I knew thesignificance that have shot, because I knew if I come out of that game I cancreate some opportunities later on and in that set.

I knew I was going to look back on thatshot. That saved me on that day, youknow. That's exactly what happened, andI was able to turn around the whole match. It's a great feeling, because I was in quite some danger right there.

Q. Couldyou just take us through your level in the fifth? For some of us, it was as good as we've seenyou play on clay for some time. Were youvery satisfied with the way you finished off the match?

ROGER FEDERER:
Yes, and, you know, like I said, I think Iplayed actually pretty well against Acasuso to come out of that one.

I think the conditionswere rough against ‑‑ with the daylight, the sun, the shadow and the windsagainst Mathieu. I came out of thatmatch not knowing exactly where I was. That's kind of how I felt also in the first couple sets against TommyHaas.

Now that I won the last three sets, youknow, that I just played, I feel much better. I think it would have been different having, let's say ‑‑ had Ibeen up two sets, lost two sets, and then winning the fifth.

But like this, you know, I reallyfelt like I was getting stronger as the match went on. Of course, he didn't put up maybe the ‑‑he didn't play his best set in the fourth set when I won 6‑Love.

But still, I was able to put himaway there. And when I really needed toplay well, I really found my A game in the fifth set. That was a great feeling to get, and I hopethat can inspire me to play actually really nice tennis in the next round.

Q. Onthe other side of the draw now, Andy Murray is now seeded to get through to thefinal. Do you see him getting there, anddo you see him as your biggest individual threat now?

ROGER FEDERER:
Not really. I mean, sure, he has a good chance to make the finals, you know. But then at the same time, I think Davydenko hasit, you know. I mean, he's been writtenoff a little bit. I've been disappointedthat I haven't heard much about him, you know, because he's a great player.

He was in the top 4 fora long time. He was unfortunate withsome injuries. So he couldn't keep hisranking because of that, not because he was losing first rounds all the time. Ithink that's why he's actually got a great chance of going forward.

Then we have other players, too. But I think the draws are wide open on theother side right now.

Q. Foryounger players, how difficult is the pressure to deal with, the fact that whenplayers like Rafa have gone out, that maybe people are now expecting Andy to goall the way?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, I mean, I think it's the same for allthe players right there, you know, to be quite honest. It's like if you've just beaten a greatplayer, and then you have to back it. Like Kohlschreiber has to do or Soderling has to do.

It's not an easy task,because how often does it happen in your life? It happens just a few times, and it's hard to back them up. I went through it when I beat Sampras at Wimbledon and then lost to Tim. I didn't play that bad against Tim, but youjust realize that not only Sampras can play tennis, but Henman can and thereare so many other players that play so well.

Just because you beat this one particularplayer, it doesn't mean you're going to now beat everybody easily. That's where it's hard mentally to be ableto shift. Yourself you have tokeep on playing dream tennis, and that's a hard thing to do sometimes.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. I'd like to know about Mirka or Séverin Luethi. How did they react to the fact that Nadal wasousted? What did they say? Did they say this was your year?

ROGER FEDERER:
No, they didn't really say something likethis. You see, I watched the match withmy physiotherapist. Like any othermatch, he was down two sets to zero, and I watched the end of the match.

That's all, because I'ma fan of tennis. We were impressed bySoderling's game. But Séverin, Mirka,and the others never came to me saying, Now you have to win this match,otherwise you will never do it, ever.

No. By the way, this is not what I wanted to hear, and this is not theirreaction. I'm really happy, because westayed calm. It's normal, because I havea very harmonious team, which is what we need.

Q. Todaythere was this first set when you didn't lose any points on your serve, excepttwo points when there was a tiebreak. Onthe contrary, there was the very important tiebreak during the third set. Would you say that mentally it was the mostimportant thing?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, mentally it is very important; that'strue. But it's a combination of manythings. You know, you can't learn how tohit the ball this way on a break point. It's because I've practiced; I've trained. It's also a bit of luck.

But I had to stay calmat the right moment and try and go for it. You know, you can be more of a defensive player, but then if you dothis, what's going to happen is that the opponent is going to have thechoice. He's going to choose his shots.

As, you know, I try and attack more. I want the luck to be on my side, and thegood thing is that I hit the ball really normally and well at that moment. I managed to remain more or less calm. I was very much relieved afterward, becausethen I served well and managed to gain the first game point.

But mentally, it's very important,you know, to be strong, to go through these moments, and then reuse thisexperience later on. That's what I wasthinking about. It's even more difficultthan winning any other points.

Q. Whatabout this break point, you know, this forehand that was really close to theline? A few millimeters from theline. What would you say aboutthis? Because sometimes it's a questionof millimeters.

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, we know that, for instance, ongrass. But also on hardcourts,sometimes. It's a question of a fewpoints only, few centimeters to finish a match.

On clay, it's less thecase, you know, because we have more margin, more leeway, so things could havechanged. You know, there are more breakpoints on clay than on any other surfaces, so there's always this thing.

You always think that the match couldchange, even though the other one is leading the match. It's more difficult to break if it's 5‑4 andthe other one is going to serve for the match. It's more difficult to win the breakpoints.

Q. Haveyou got a cold, a runny nose?

ROGER FEDERER:
Just a little. Not much.

Q. Is it because of Roland Garros?

ROGER FEDERER:
I've always had a cold, you know. I've always ‑‑ caught cold in mylife. It goes and comes and goes andcomes very quickly. No, it's not veryserious.

Q. You said it would be a dream to play against Nadal during thefinals. Now, if you win today or if youwin Roland Garros, would you say that there would be less intensity comparedwith Nadal?

ROGER FEDERER:
No, never mind who you're going to play inthe final, and as long as you win. Socan you ask me the question another time.

Q. I have another question that has nothing to do with this match. Mirka is very important in the life ofFederer. How important is it to havesuch a wife as a player?

ROGER FEDERER:
Well, Mirka, you know, the first two years wewere together she didn't really travel that much with me because she had herown career. We met in Miami and the Grand Slam tournaments ormatches, and then unfortunately she was seriously injured. She had to wait.

You know, there was aperiod of rehabilitation. Then when shehad to go through the surgery or operation, it was not easy for her. But frankly, she decided very quickly todedicate or to give up her career to focus on mine, even though today she stillhurts.

I mean, her foot operation didn't go onreally nicely, so it was easy for her to give up and say, Okay, I'll stop mycareer and I'll have my husband.

Now I think she is supporting me atthe right moment, because, you know, I won Wimbledonin 2003, and that's when she didn't really know what to do with hercareer. She didn't know if she would tryit or not.

That's when she started helping mewith the hotels, the plane tickets. Ihad no managers at the time. That's whenshe started dealing with the press, as well. It was a lot for her, I know, but she would protect me from many things.

And now, afterwards, it wasbetter. It was easier and she was withme day in and day out, throughout the world, and she helped me considerably, asa person, you know. I developed faster,grew faster with her. Thanks to her Iwas very calm in the important moments in my career. She was always here, always supportive. I owe her a lot. It's normal.

Q. Youmight play against Gaël Monfils who you defeated last year. Would you say this season he plays better andstronger? And how would you explainthis?

ROGER FEDERER:
We'll see if he manages to defeat AndyRoddick, but I think he's fit. I've notseen or watched all of his matches, all of his sets, but I think he playsreally well.

He was injured, youknow, considering this. I know Gaëlnow. I've played several times againsthim. He's always got his ups and downs. You know, his attitude, as well, is up anddown. You never know what to expect withGaël.

But his game is quite solid now. He's calmer than he was in the past when hewould play his first Roland Garros tournaments.

I think this is going to help him,because it's not five sets each time for him for the first two rounds. I think he's fit. But what I saw is that it's going to be toughfor Roddick today.

Q. Todaythe crowd was supporting you, whereas yesterday they were supportingSoderling. How come?

ROGER FEDERER:
I was not here yesterday on the stadium, so Idon't know. It's difficult to explainthis. Well, maybe Soderling was verymuch into the game. He was dictating thegame, which is always something that people like. He would take the risks, so maybe that's oneof the reasons. I don't know.

And then, you know,unfortunately sometimes when someone is too much of a winner, then people arenot really against you but in favor of the other player. You know, I saw that in 2006 and 2007 when Iwas not really losing at any moment.

When I would lose a set, then it was like abig show for the crowd. This issomething that you have to experience one day or another. But this time I don't know why they weresupporting me, even though the other player was doing better.

Q. Whendid you realize there was a turnaround in your favor?

ROGER FEDERER:
After this big forehand, the inside‑outpoint. I said, That's a turnaround. That's a turnaround, the inside out. The forehand. Otherwise I was not thinking about this. I was not really playing well from the baseline and I didn't have enoughpace, but that's due to Tommy Haas.

His game was reallygood. I was in a very tricky position, Imust say this. But that's when I thoughtI have all the assets in my hands to change this match, and that was the case.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ne...875382614.html

No "these kind of matches are fun" comment... I'm surprised. I wonder if that means he was actually really scared in that match?
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #237
country flag SUKTUEN

And now, afterwards, it wasbetter. It was easier and she was withme day in and day out, throughout the world, and she helped me considerably, asa person, you know. I developed faster,grew faster with her. Thanks to her Iwas very calm in the important moments in my career. She was always here, always supportive. I owe her a lot. It's normal.

Roger is so sweet~~
Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #238
country flag Celaeno

Celaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond reputeCelaeno has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has won the "Prix Orange" award for a 5th consecutive year. Congrats, Rogi

OFF COURT - PRIX ORANGE

Roger was awarded the Prix Orange as voted by the French public and press online for a record fifth consecutive time.

The Prix Orange goes to the ambassador of sportsmanship, 2009 marked the 29th edition of the award. “It is a pleasure to receive this award again, it is maybe because I spend so much time with the press,” said Roger.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/roger...fm?uNewsID=916
Celaeno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #239
country flag SUKTUEN

Congrat Roger!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #240
country flag Rommella

Looks like this writer is a Fed fangirl, all right.

Microsoft effort to best Google yields results
By Katherine Boehret, The Wall Street Journal
Wednesday 03 June 2009
Software giant hopes 'Binging' will replace 'Googling' when it comes to Web search.

... snip

I tried comparing Bing with Google in side-by-side searches for tennis player Roger Federer. Bing showed me six colorful images of Federer atop its results page, along with an Explore Pane full of links to his biography, posters, quotes, blog and more. The third listed related-search term,"Roger Federer Shirtless," made me laugh.

Google didn't automatically embed images of the tennis great on its results page (for that, of course, you have to go to its Image search page), but it did display Federer's winning score for that day's French Open match -- information that was extremely useful to me.

Bing presents photos in a more eye-pleasing way than Google. The Roger Federer image search on Bing filled the page with images only -- none of the messy text descriptions that appear in the same Google search results. By selecting visuals in the top right of the Bing results page, I changed the size of the photos to small, medium, large or detailed. As I moved my cursor over an image, the image popped forward in a larger version with text details.

...snip