Roger news and articles - Page 133 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #1981
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #1982
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are playing fewer tournaments this season and also skip the Davis Cup.

2012 was a really tough year for everyone on the tour. I barely had time to practice properly. There was nearly no break. That’s why I catch up on practice now and already prepare in order to be able to play a bigger schedule in 2014.
I've read that mention about 2014 several times and I really don't understand what he means :

does he really mean that he will play more in 2014 than this year as Kissakiss seems to guess ?

And then why what he makes in 2013 has an influence on that ?

Or does he mean he has to save energy to be able to still play in next years ?

Does he mean as several people said that 2013 is a transition year before 2014 ?

I really wonder about that

Also, as I always say, the main priority for him imo, after keeping a good health, esp. for his back, should be to stay in the top-4 because dropping out of the top-4 would be very dangerous for his chances to win slams and then for his motivation.

And this is already in danger in 2013, then I hope he cares about 2013 enough, I don't understand the idea of having a transition year at 31 years old : he will not get younger in next years
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #1983
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

^^
the thing about 2013 being a transition year is correct, he's said that before.
He has also said that 2012 was so packed with the OG and he felt that he was playing a ton of matches and not training enough and seeing his form post Cincy 2012, I think he felt burnt out. I don't think he plans on skipping Miami next year and might play Doha. You're right it is risky, but he doesn't want to get burned out again and wants to pace himself. Roger knows his body better than anyone so he is just trying to make the right decisions for his schedule.
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #1984
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

That was pretty much my impression, too (bearing in mind, for instance, that he implied he'd only played Shanghai because of the No. 1 situation). OTOH, whether he factored losing relatively early in R'dam and Dubai into his calculations is anyone's guess. He *has* also implied that he might add a few more tournaments in 2013 if he thinks it appropriate, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #1985
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

I read again that mention of "preparing for 2014 and next years" by preparing physically in 2013 in excerpts from his pre-tournament interview :

Quote:
It's one of the reasons why I want to practise a lot this year. I've worked a lot on my physical condition outside the court, to manage to stay on the Tour for long. It's the goal hidden under the calendar I've built for this year, to offer me many options for next year.
Here's the initial source in French :

Quote:
C’est l’une des raisons pour lesquelles je veux faire en sorte de beaucoup m’entraîner cette année. J’ai fait beaucoup de boulot en-dehors du court, sur le plan physique, afin de réussir à être sur le circuit pendant longtemps. C’est l’objectif caché sous le calendrier que je me suis construis cette année, afin de m’offrir beaucoup d’options l’année prochaine.
from here :

http://www.welovetennis.fr/federer/6...rouve-son-rafa
Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #1986
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #1987
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, duong. It again has me wondering: did he give the initial interview in French (in the USA?!), or has it already been translated once? I like the sentence before the ones you quoted: "La vie sur le circuit est intense, mais j’ai la sensation que j’ai encore beaucoup de jeu devant moi." So he at least thinks he's got plenty of play left in those legs yet. I hope he's right.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #1988
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Thanks, duong. It again has me wondering: did he give the initial interview in French (in the USA?!), or has it already been translated once? I like the sentence before the ones you quoted: "La vie sur le circuit est intense, mais j’ai la sensation que j’ai encore beaucoup de jeu devant moi." So he at least thinks he's got plenty of play left in those legs yet. I hope he's right.
it has surely been translated, but what I was interested is that this mention of 2014 once again doesn't come from the same interview which was mentioned by Doris before which was made much earlier
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #1989
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

No more "Stupid Saturday" as of 2015!!

Quote:
Federer talks pave way for record $50 million U.S. Open prize fund

(CNN) -- He's enjoyed unprecedented success off the court, now Roger Federer has helped pave the way for some major changes at the U.S Open.
As president of the ATP Player Council, the 17-time grand slam champion, from Switzerland, has helped to negotiated a hike in prize money to $50 million by 2017, nearly double the figure in 2012.
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) confirmed the tournament -- the season's final major -- will also rejig its schedule to ensure the men's semifinals are played on Friday with the final reverting to Sunday by 2015.

It marks the culmination of a year's worth of discussions with the game's top players, led by Federer, but also including world No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

"The [USTA] approached our concerns with a true spirit of partnership, and as president of the ATP Player Council I am personally grateful for their support," five-time U.S. Open winner Roger Federer said in a statement on the tournament's official website.

"The U.S. Open is very special, and we all look forward to great competition at Flushing Meadows later this year, and in the years yet to come."

Under the terms of the five-year deal with the men's ATP Tour and the women's WTA Tour, the tournament will now have a 2013 prize purse of $33.6 million -- a record $8.1 million increase from 2012.
Grass roots tennis will also see a boost in funding and Flushing Meadows in New York, which hosts the competition, will also be revamped, with a new Louis Armstrong Stadium and Grandstand.

"We welcome the commitment the USTA has made concerning player prize money at the U.S. Open through 2017," said Brad Drewett, ATP executive chairman and president.

"These increases are the largest in the history of the sport, representing a significant step forward in truly recognizing the input the players have in the success of the U.S. Open.
"We also welcome the decision from the USTA to adopt a schedule with the men's semifinals completed by Friday and the final on Sunday, from 2015 onwards."

The USTA announced in December 2012 it was moving the women's final back to Sunday and the men's final to Monday to allow the players more rest time.

more at: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/20/sp...rer/index.html
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #1990
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

guys, sorry not sure if this was posted but it's a really interesting article about Fed.

J M Coetzee opens up about his life in letters to Paul Auster

Reclusive South African writer reveals admiration for tennis star Roger Federer

Charlie Cooper
Friday, 22 March 2013

J M Coetzee, the notoriously publicity-shy Nobel Prize-winning author, has made an art of revealing almost nothing about his life.

But now the South African novelist has surprised critics by revealing his profound, almost obsessive respect for an unlikely figure – the Swiss tennis star Roger Federer.

One of literature’s great recluses, the South African writer rarely submits to being interviewed but has granted a glimpse into his daily musings in an exchange of correspondence with the American author Paul Auster, to be published as a book in the UK in May.

Revealing himself as an armchair sports fan, Coetzee describes Federer’s best tennis as “something like the human ideal made visible” and says the experience of watching him play is “very much like my response to masterworks of art”.

The two authors, who met in February 2008 and decided to embark on an epistolary friendship to “strike sparks off each other”, corresponded via post and fax for three years, covering topics as diverse as philosophy, friendship, the financial crisis and their shared love for the “guilty pleasure” of watching sport.

In one letter, dated 19 March 2009, Coetzee writes: “Like you, I think that watching sport on television is mostly a waste of time. But there are moments that are not a waste of time, as would, for example, crop up now and again in the glory days of Roger Federer.

“I scrutinise such moments, revisiting them in memory – Federer playing a crosscourt backhand volley, for instance.”

Explaining that he would go through three phases of thought when watching Federer play, Coetzee writes: “One starts by envying Federer, one moves from there to admiring him and one ends up neither envying him or admiring him but exalted at the revelation of what a human being – a being like oneself – can do.” Coetzee, the author of Dusklands and Disgrace, won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2003 and has twice won the Booker Prize. He failed to collect either of his Bookers and is a jealous guardian of his private life – making the details revealed in the new book Here and Now: Letters 2008-2011, all the more tantalising for critics.

Few, however, would have expected Coetzee – described by one fellow writer as having laughed only once in a decade of acquaintance – to have displayed such powerful feelings for a tennis player.

His correspondence with Auster, the author of the absurdist novel The Book of Illusions, also reveals an admiration for cricket. “I was absorbed, I was emotionally involved, I tore myself away only reluctantly,” he writes of a five-day game between Australia and South Africa. But Coetzee, who now lives in Adelaide, Australia, is also affected by pangs of guilt at watching sport: “Why waste my time slumped in front of the television screen watching young men at play? For, I concede, it is a waste of time. I have an experience... but it does me no good that I can detect. I learn nothing. I come away with nothing.”

He suggests to Auster that the appeal of sport has to do with a human “need for heroes”.

The two authors had been reading each other’s works for years but only met in February 2008, when Coetzee suggested the letter-writing exercise. Although outwardly different in their writing – Auster is known for his dark, philosophical texts and enthusiastic embrace of public life, while Coetzee has been described as a “sceptic… and uncompromising moralist” – the pair found common ground on many topics. On Federer, especially, they are in perfect alignment. “I am in total accord with you,” Auster writes of the seven-time Wimbledon champion. “Awe at the fact that a fellow human being is accomplishing such things.”
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #1991
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Fed said it himself - he needs the rest that he's getting now to gear up for the spring and summer. I think he's been burned out since the US Open and not to say that he was just going through the motions, but it seemed like the inner fire wasn't there as it was in the first half of 2012. The only time I saw that fire was at the AO against Tsonga and Murray where he scratched and clawed all the way to the end.

Fed can still play amazing tennis, and I fully expect him to come back in a better form than we have seen the last 6 months.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #1992
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #1993
country flag StingSuperior

StingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article Alex, interesting read
StingSuperior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #1994
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
guys, sorry not sure if this was posted but it's a really interesting article about Fed.

J M Coetzee opens up about his life in letters to Paul Auster

Reclusive South African writer reveals admiration for tennis star Roger Federer

Charlie Cooper
Friday, 22 March 2013

J M Coetzee, the notoriously publicity-shy Nobel Prize-winning author, has made an art of revealing almost nothing about his life.
Thanks for sharing the article here, Alex! I read one of his books a couple years ago for highschool. Had no idea he was such a big Fedfan .
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1995
country flag Fed_Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Fed said it himself - he needs the rest that he's getting now to gear up for the spring and summer. I think he's been burned out since the US Open and not to say that he was just going through the motions, but it seemed like the inner fire wasn't there as it was in the first half of 2012. The only time I saw that fire was at the AO against Tsonga and Murray where he scratched and clawed all the way to the end.

Fed can still play amazing tennis, and I fully expect him to come back in a better form than we have seen the last 6 months.
I posted this in the IW thread, but he is paying the price for his packed schedule last year with OG and DC() . I really hope this break does him good, but it's such a big ? these days. Remember when he came back in Rome 2010 and lost to Gulbis first round?