Roger news and articles - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #181
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerhingis View Post
Thanks dear Suki for posting. I was not even aware Roger had a link on facebook.
you are welcome~~~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #182
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal faces Federer at Madrid final

By PAUL LOGOTHETIS, AP Sports Writer

MADRID (AP)—Roger Federer will face Rafael Nadal for a championship.

On clay. In Spain.

The two rivals set up their first clash since the Australian Open when Nadal saved three match points to beat Novak Djokovic 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (9) on Saturday.

Playing their fourth match this year, they needed a Masters Series record 4 hours, 3 minutes to decide matters at the Magic Box tennis center. Federer beat Juan Martin del Potro 6-3, 6-4 in their semifinal.

Top-ranked Nadal’s 33rd straight win on clay lifted him into his seventh final this season, but he will be nursing a right knee injury into Sunday’s match.

Federer has lost his last five matches against Nadal, including the finals at the French Open, Wimbledon and Australia in February, when the Swiss player was in tears after the defeat.

“What’s important for me is to get past that semifinal hurdle that I haven’t been able to get past in the last couple of months,” Federer said ahead of their 16th meeting in a final. “I feel like playing him anywhere is a challenge. The extra flair here is that it’s in Spain.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier, top-ranked Dinara Safina beat Patty Schnyder 6-4, 6-2 to set up a final against teenager Caroline Wozniacki, who put away former No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo 7-6 (1), 6-3.

Nadal, who won in the Spanish capital in 2005 when the event was played on indoor hard court, is 9-1 on clay against Federer, who didn’t doubt Nadal would be in top shape for the pairs first match in Spain.

“They asked me the same question in Australia,” said Federer, who faced Nadal after he had won a grueling five-set match against Fernando Verdasco. “I think with the adrenaline and the crowd he’s going to be the Rafa we know tomorrow.”

It’s the mental aspect that Federer will have to prepare for as he comes face-to-face with Nadal for the first time since the Spaniard denied him a chance to equal Pete Sampras’ record of 14 Grand Slam wins.

Djokovic was also left red-eyed after feeling in control for most of Saturday’s match.

“It’s frustrating when you play so well and you can’t win,” No. 4-ranked Djokovic said.

Nadal complained of discomfort in his right knee before the match, which hampered his ability to move as he made uncharacteristic errors that allowed for an early break in the first set.

Nadal had his leg wrapped in the second set before leveling.

In the deciding tiebreaker, Djokovic watched Nadal hit forehand winners down the near line to save his first two match points. The Serb then beat Nadal with a passing shot to save a match point of his own.

But leading 9-8, Djokovic sent the ball out and then netted on Nadal’s next match point to end the longest three-set match in the history of Masters tournaments, the ATP level below the Grand Slams.

“I love these matches, it’s very special to play these matches,” said Nadal, who improved to 27-1 in clay semifinals. “If I don’t fight here, when am I going to fight?”

Despite 50 unforced errors against Djokovic, Nadal’s perseverance paid off as he rallied the 12,500 spectators with crucial winners to reach his 26th clay-court final. He has won 25 of those.

Djokovic, who missed a chance to take the No. 3 ranking from Andy Murray, added his latest loss to Nadal to those recently in the Olympics, the Davis Cup, and finals at Monte Carlo and Rome.

“I played one of my best on this surface, so … I don’t think you need my comments, you saw everything,” Djokovic said. “A couple of points decided the winner.”

Federer improved to 5-0 against del Potro, who has yet to take a set off the former No. 1. He will be going for his 15th Masters title—and first in nearly two years—which would allow him to equal the 22-year-old Nadal’s tally. Only Andre Agassi has won more with 17.

Safina, coming off a victory at Rome, reached her fifth final of the season by staying undefeated in four meetings against Schnyder.

Wozniacki, who hasn’t dropped a set this week to reach her third final of the season, saved two set points before rallying to take the first and then clinched it on her second match point when Mauresmo hit long.

www.yahoosports.com/ten

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #183
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #184
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid Masters: Federer wins first title of 2009
By Tennis Guru on May 17, 2009 in ATP, Featured, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Tennis News

XHello there! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.
Powered by WP Greet BoxWorld number two Roger Federer finally ended the title drought this year by winning the Mutua Madrileņa Madrid Open, beating top-ranked Rafael Nadal in two sets 6-4, 6-4. The Swiss star also denied the Spaniard the chance to clinch all three ATP claycourt Masters title in a single year.

Federer simply outplayed his rival, who was visibly weary after winning an epic semifinal match against Serbian Novak Djokovic yesterday (read related article HERE).

The title win propels Federer’s ATP Masters title haul to 15, tying Nadal’s record.Both players are in the position to overtake Andre Agassi’s record of 17 Masters titles.

Federer’s victory once again reignited the rivalry between the two. The 13-time Grand Slam champion will head to Paris with newfound confidence on his claycourt game.

Meanwhile, in doubles - the Serbian-Canadian duo of Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor clinched their fifth title of the season by defeating Simon Aspelin and Wesley Moodie 6-4, 6-4.

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Old 05-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #185
country flag SUKTUEN

Congrat Roger !!!!!

my tennis King!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #186
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

I want to read the press conference
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #187
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
I want to read the press conference
It hasn't been posted yet unfortunately, but we get some comments from Roger in this article:

Quote:

58th tour title "satisfying" for Federer

Mutua Madrileņa Madrid Open champion Roger Federer said he had never stopped believing he would win a title in 2009, despite failing to reach the final of an event since the Australian Open in January.

“I’ve had some bad losses this year in terms of the way I’ve played but I’ve felt it coming in the past few weeks so it’s very satisfying,” said the Swiss.

The first two-time champion in Madrid (previously the tournament had seven different winners) Federer said he had played a solid clay court match.

“I though I played well – you have to against Rafa on clay. There are no easy ways against him and he’s not going to hand it to you,” said the 27-year-old former world No.1.

“I served well, mixed it up well, took all the right decisions today. In the end it looked comfortable for me out there so it’s a good win for me and very satisfying.”

Celebrating his 58th career title and 15th Masters Series trophy, Federer said that he didn’t feel any great sense of relief in breaking his run of match losses to Nadal.

“I got so close in Australia and at Wimbledon so it wasn’t a question of ‘oh, finally’, said Federer. “Even though I lost I had to keep the belief. The press was all telling me that he was invincible and I didn’t want to believe what the press was saying.”

And Federer said that he didn’t feel that Rafa’s loss would have any long-term effects on the world No.1’s confidence.

“I know his game inside out. He’s rock solid, does one thing excellently, moves well on this surface and is an excellent competitor. It makes him very difficult to beat.

“He had a bad patch last season and he recovered from that so I don’t think he will have any problems bouncing back from this loss,” said Federer.
Source: http://www.madrid-open.com/site/news/6/3401
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #188
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

PRESS CONFERENCE
May 17th 2009

PLAYER
Roger FEDERER (SUI)

Roger Federer (SUI) bt Rafa Nadal (ESP): 6 - 4 | 6 - 4

Q. How satisfying is that for you and how well do you think you played?
A. I thought I played really well, I think you have to against Rafa on clay, there are no easy ways there. He is not going to hand it to you and that is what has made him so tough the last few years on this surface. I thought I mixed it up well; I served well and was dangerous on particular return games. I thought I took all the right decisions today and in the end it looked pretty comfortable so it was a perfect win for me.

Q. Are you relieved to beat Rafa Nadal after nearly two years?
A. Well not really. I was so close in Australia and Wimbledon, of course it is nice. Itīs not like “oh, finally I got him again”. I felt I was close to Rafa and I felt that, even though you lose, you keep the belief, especially on this type of surface because you come into the press rooms and they all they talk about is Rafa and it works you and you donīt want to believe what the press says, you want to stay positive and thatīs what I did. I am very happy that I remained positive and I got the win I needed badly because I have had some rather bad losses this year in terms of the way I played but I think that everything is falling into place and I felt it coming the last few weeks so it is the right time to get a victory like this.

Q. You said to is yesterday that you might just wake up this morning and go for it. You did?
A. Yeah, I think so. I definitely didnīt try to go into massive amounts of rallies but at the same time, Rafa was missing some returns and I kept him guessing many times. We have both played better, in the past, from the baseline and Iīm sure thatīs what it is going to take to beat Rafa at the French Open. This was a particular clay court match against each other; for both of us we both had trouble controlling the ball, because the pints were kept shorter it was better for my game and thatīs why I won today.

Q. After your Hamburg title two years ago, you said that you learned something about how to play Rafa on clay; Did you learn something new about his game today, thinking about Paris?
A. Not a whole lot. I know his game inside out. Itīs not like he changes many things, he is just rock solid like when Leyton Hewitt was no. 1 and all those other guys who were dominating from the baseline. He does his one thing excellent and he is the best mover on this surface.
He is just an excellent competitor and that is what makes him so difficult to beat.
I know what you have to do but itīs not easy to do against him because he is so good.

Q. Did you notice that he was slightly slower today than usual?
A. No, not really. I think and I am sure - thatīs my approach anyway – that when I go into a match and I start and finish a match there are no excuses, otherwise you retire during the match, which is not my philosophy, or you donīt play, but I donīt think you should play injured or hurt or whatever it is. We didnīt have many rallies so I donīt know where you can see that he was slow. As I said, conditions were tough out there, tough to control the ball and I saw some of those things against Djokovic, that he was struggling in the beginning to control his serve and probably Djokovic should have finished him off in two but then the adrenalin and the whole thing that Rafa came back with made it difficult for him to close out the match so I just raced to the finish line and it was all over before he could react so it was a good match.

Q. First of all congratulations, they said that the clay is a little bit hard because Madrid is a little but high for the players; we want to know if it was a problem for you because you beat Nadal here?
A. Yes, I think it was tough for both of us today. You could see that we both struggled to control the balls but like I said yesterday I donīt think itīs so extreme, itīs not like itīs impossible to control. I think itīs interesting to be playing on clay at a different altitude, Iīve played in Gstad before which gives you opportunities to play aggressive and itīs more interesting that you have the chance to come forward and you have the chance to play aggressive and itīs not so easy to hit passing shots because at times on other surfaces when itīs so slow itīs almost impossible to come to the net because the guy is just moving past so well that this is a nice change for me.

Q. You said in Rome that since your back problems you were having trouble finding the motion of your serve the way it used to be before; it seems that this week things sort of clicked for you?
A. I had some good serving already this year but then at the same time I couldnīt do it consistently. I would go through a few games where I would serve very well and then get broken a couple of time is a row and thatīs not something that I am used to. I just felt that I couldnīt hit my spot so well and today and this whole week it has been coming back. I am obviously aware that this is altitude and that itīs easier to serve well here and to mix it up but still I feel, in my body, that the serves are working, the motion as well, I have the right rhythm and I think that is very good looking forward to the French Open where it is important to serve well, for me.

Q. How important is this win for you going into the French, does it massively change your confidence going in?
A. Yes, I think that at this stage it does. Now that I havenīt won a tournament yet this year, in other years it didnīt matter whether I won or lost, I was always one of the top two or favorites. This year it looked like other guys might come moving up but I always knew that I was going to get stronger week by week on clay, obviously I didnīt give myself the best opportunity in Monaco but I worked extremely hard in the two off weeks I had before and after Rome and itīs all finally paying off, itīs not the moment to get carried away but it is definitely good for my confidence especially beating Rafa in the final so it definitely proves that I am doing the right things and I am working extremely hard and it is paying off so itīs a nice feeling. I am very excited about going to Paris whereas a couple of weeks ago I was still a little bit unsure about my game and not sure if I could win the French. Obviously that has not changed.

Q. Confidence is a fragile thing for players and this is now Rafaīs first defeat in 33 clay court games and he has lost to you as well, his main rival; Do you think that might have some impact on his psychology going into Paris?
A. I snapped his streak at 81, a couple of years ago and it didnīt really bother him too much – he went back on another streak so I donīt think so. Sure, itīs nice to beat him in his own country where it is probably the hardest, you see the spectators and itīs pretty tough when it gets close plus he has that game which keeps you doubting because you have to keep going for your shots and as the crowd gets into it itīs hard but I donīt think that’s he is going to be damaged by this. He has played so well in Monaco, Barcelona and Rome, I think this is probably the best clay court season he has had so far so Iīm sure he will be rock solid in Paris again.

Q. Andre Agassi was talking yesterday about the Slams and he said that he thought Nadal had a chance of winning all four this year; do you think that he has improved that much and has a chance of doing that?
A. Well he is the only guy who has obviously. I donīt know, same as me the last few years when a guy wins the Australian Open. I think when a guy wins the Australian Open and his better surface is clay then sure there is a big chance that he might go two for two but I came very close a few times and itīs not the easiest thing to do. I said a couple of weeks ago that he definitely has a chance. There are guys who donīt want to allow him to do that and I am the first guy so... I have a great record at Wimbledon and the US Open and I have my dreams at the French Open so I have some say there hopefully.

Q. You bet Rafa Nadal, one hour ago, two years ago and you bet him today to; What about in Roland Garros, will you beat him because we heard that he was a little bit tired and he hadnīt slept too well?
A. I hope that when we play each other that he is not going to sleep much either because he knows that I am waiting the next day. I donīt think that it makes any difference that he played a long match yesterday and that he didnīt sleep much. Sure, itīs not the perfect preparation but I think that we are all tough enough to take it so thatīs why he was out there today trying hard for the spectators and for himself. I am sure Paris is a different circumstance, he has never lost there, obviously his confidence is very high there but I think that we have seen this week, that if you play Rafa the right way there are chances whereas sometimes he has gone out and dominated just about everybody on clay and it is good from the other players and also from myself, that itīs most important because I am always the one gunning after Rafa, especially at the French Open and I hope that this year could be the right one.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #189
country flag Daniel

those ugly girls next to him
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

Madrid win lifts Federer for tilt at French Open

MADRID, May 17 (Reuters) - Defeating claycourt king Rafael Nadal on Sunday has convinced Roger Federer the pieces are falling into place to enable him to seize the Spaniard’s French Open crown and win the only grand slam title that eludes him.

The Swiss world number two has lost to Nadal in the final at Roland Garros the past three years and fell to his 22-year-old rival in the semi-finals in 2005.

He said his 6-4 6-4 victory over number one Nadal in the Madrid Open final on clay had come at the perfect time with the French Open starting in Paris at the end of the month.

“I think everything is falling into place. I kind of felt it coming the last few weeks,” Federer, 27, told a news conference.

“This year it looked like other guys might be moving up but I always knew that I was going to get stronger week by week on clay,” he added.

“So it’s a nice feeling and I’m very excited going into Paris now whereas maybe a couple of weeks ago I was still a little bit unsure about my game and not sure whether I could win the French and now that’s changed.”

Federer said Nadal was unlikely to be affected too much by only his fifth defeat on his favoured surface in 155 matches since the start of 2005.

“I snapped his streak at 81 a couple of years ago and it didn’t really bother him too much,” he said, referring to his victory over Nadal in the final of the 2007 Hamburg Masters.

“I don’t think he’s going to take any damage away from this. He’s played so well in Monaco, Barcelona and Rome that this is probably the best claycourt season he’s had.

“So I’m sure he’s going to be rock solid in Paris again.”

Speaking at a separate news conference later on Sunday, Nadal said the Madrid Open—a new clay event this year with faster courts than Paris that better suit Federer’s game — could not be compared with the French Open.

“I don’t think there is too much to analyse from this defeat,” he said. “He broke my serve twice and that was that, I was on my way home. I don’t think it will make any difference at Roland Garros.” (Editing by Sonia Oxley; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #190
country flag SUKTUEN

thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #191
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

Not really an article, but...

From Andy Roddick's Twitter (start reading at the bottom):

9. sometimes he is gonna pay the consequences of physical encounters as well.... all part of the game and does not take away from feds win

10. @SoAZtec i dont agree with this point... if his style gets credit for wearing other people down then it needs to be pointed out that

11. @irisjumbe point being its not even an argument on clay... calm down

12. tourney...... great week of paying by both guys and cant wait for the french!

13. the conditions in madrid were fast because of the altitude and dry air... slower conditions in paris and 3 out of 5 sets make it a different

14. roger definitely made a statement and this certainly adds another element of intrigue for roland garros!

15. and i am very suprised some of u have turned so fast... i guarantee u roger would tell u the same thing. rafa is the favorite for the french

16. in the final. he played extremely clean confident tennis throughout... that being said rafa is still the best clay player in the world

17. ok so i have had a lot of q's about the rafa/fed match from yesterday .... here goes... roger was the best player last week and not just

I love Andy so. Totally following him now.

Last edited by recessional : 05-19-2009 at 07:12 PM.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #192
country flag SUKTUEN

Oh thanks Andy!!!!!!!!

You really care Roger!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #193
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Translated by member vrazkar on rf.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrazkar
There is an article about an interview that Roger gave before the final in Madrid. I've tried to translate it below as it seemed interesting to me.

Happy Federer warns his opponents
In a big interview for the newspaper "Sunday" tennis superstar Roger Federer warns his opponents against writing him off because of being a husband and father. He pictures the way he plans to combine family and profession.
Federer's form curve is obviously directed upwards. Today at 16 o'clock he will play on the final in Madrid. However he is not fully contented with himself yet. In the newspaper "Sunday" the Basel superstar says: "What I lack in the moment is the confidence, that I had before, especially against the top 4 players."
The question is how he'll restore this confidence. Confidence which he'll make good use of against the #1 Rafael Nadal today. Federer knows the formula: "This might be just a single victory." The answer is not recruiting a new coach. The present tennis team Federer is good enough for achieving big wins and titles.
Many people say a lot
The paper "Sunday" goes on that there are voices saying that Federer isn't open to advice, doesn't want to listen to different opinions. Federer is cool: "There are many people who say a lot". He believes that success will return. He wants to break the Sampras's record of 14 GS but not at any cost. "I am very close and would love to succeed but I don't chase this with sick ambitions."
Federer believes that his kid who will be born in the summer will give him a big impulse. "Our common dream has always been that our children get born while I still play tennis. Now the first child is on its way and I already feel big joy. I just need to stay around some more years so that my child can consciously see me playing."
His wife and his family want to accompany him also in the future. "We will be a tennis family on the road", Federer says. His family planning is perfect and he is very happy. He also warns his opponents: "This satisfaction and happiness also inspire me. I can just advise against writing off the husband and father Federer."
http://bazonline.ch/sport/tennis/Gluecklicher-Federer-warnt-seine-Gegner/story/16111890

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #194
country flag SUKTUEN

thankyou so much Mrs.B!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #195
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Posted on rf.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFRoditeL
done with the Welt Online interview
"Noone should write off Father Federer" -- 19.05.2009
http://www.welt.de/sport/article3768668/Niemand-sollte-den-Vater-Federer-abschreiben.html
In the middle of the decade he was the best tennis player in the world. But Roger Federer actually conquered the fans' hearts for the first time, only during the last twelve months, when Rafael Nadal caused him consecutive painful defeats. In an interview on WELT ONLINE the Swiss reveals how he wants to achieve his latest great career goals.

Roger Federer (27) is the most successful active tennis player of our days - till now he has won 57 tournaments, among which 13 Grand Slam Titles. But recently he has shown signs of weakness, he has been defeated many times by Rafael Nadal, and he has been waiting since October 2008 for a tournament victory - until he beat his steady rival on Sunday at the final in Madrid.

WELT ONLINE: Mr. Federer, next week the French Open begins. Where do you see yourself standing right now, just before the major tournaments in Paris and then at Wimbledon?
Roger Federer: I'm convinced that, after a hard year in 2008, I am again fully on the right way. This has also to do with the fact that I feel much fresher and fitter.

WELT ONLINE: Can a single victory like the one in Madrid change everything?
Roger Federer: Sometimes a great success is enough. Everything comes and goes very quickly in tennis. I haven't been saying without a reason, when I was no1, that nothing is for granted when it comes to my dominance.

WELT ONLINE: It seemed like a given fact however - after all you have dominated the tennis world for many years. Now you're still only (sic) no2, and therefore recently people say constantly that you're going through a crisis.
Roger Federer: I myself have created these great expectations/ high standards. When you remain the no1 for so many years and you only lose 5,6 times in one season, with some more defeats a state of emergency will be proclaimed. But I was never in a crisis. I never really lost my calm, and I have always looked into the situation with composure.

WELT ONLINE: Really? Boris Becker, after a sudden fall from the top of the world, once said: Tennis is brutal.
Roger Federer: This is in the nature of things - when you're out there all alone, you can't hide. There's noone to catch (?) you, like in a football team. You can win ten tournaments in a row, everything's great. But even if you lose (only) two times in a row, people start asking questions. Sometimes even you yourself start wondering. That's something you can't prevent.

WELT ONLINE: Many great athletes have felt true/genuine support from the beginning, while you had to walk off with big defeats first. What do you think of this?
Roger Federer: Yes, particularly after Wimbledon, last year. People were sad for me rather than happy for Nadal. I found that almost bitter for him. Many suddenly understood: Federer's wins are not for granted. It makes someone more human, if one loses sometimes.

WELT ONLINE: There have been voices that said, Federer is not receptive to advice, he wants no guidance.
Roger Federer: There are many who say much. I am not standing on a memorial (pontium?) and say: I know everything, I can do everything. I see the weaknesses, I see the strengths. And I bear the consequences. I examine myself every day, I am my own strict judge. Otherwise I would have never managed to have these successes.

WELT ONLINE: Observers have interpreted the latest developments this way: The big pack, that has hunted in vain for years, have now lost their respect for Federer. Because he has no longer the aura of the Invincible.
Roger Federer: Maybe. I never felt though, that there was a great pressure for other players to stand against me. You could get out on court and you had an easy job: either lose, which was nothing special, or be the hero who brought Federer to his knees.

WELT ONLINE: You are still highly motivated, even though you have won everything. Are you ever tired of tennis?
Roger Federer: I love this sport incredibly. There may be a moment once in a year, that I think: Now it would be nice to stay at home. As a junior I had already those zero-willpower-days, because I only depended on my talent.

WELT ONLINE: How much have you been thinking about the Grand Slam Record? Pete Sampras' 14 titles record is to be beaten.
Roger Federer: A few years ago I said: let me win ten titles, and then we'll talk about it. Now I am damn' close and I would like to make it. But I don't chase this goal with sick ambition. This is imputed to me indeed, but it's not true. I read: Federer fails at Wimbledon, at the Australian, because he has Sampras' recond in mind. That is silly.

WELT ONLINE: A few weeks ago you got married to your partner Mirka Vavrinec, and you will soon become a father for the first time. How much will this affect your career?
Roger Federer: My life's gonna change for sure. But I don't feel that this is going to make me lethargic/unenthusiastic. More likely the contrary: this will give me a boost. Our shared dream has always been that our children would be born while I would still be playing tennis. And now the first child is on the way, and I already feel great anticipation.

WELT ONLINE: Will your wife still travel with you so regularly?
Roger Federer: I would like this very much. And we have the means - certainly more than others - to sort out the financial matters and to organise the practical matters. We will be a travelling tennis-family. Right now I feel very happy. And this happiness, this satisfaction in my life - these feelings inspire me. I wouldn't advise anyone to write off husband and father Federer.

WELT ONLINE: Have you already talked to other tennisfathers about the impact of the birth of a child?
Roger Federer: No, not yet. Right now all I wish for is that our child is healthy, that everything turns out well. In the beginning one thinks: is it going to be a boy? is it going to be a girl? But then there is only one thought, that there will be no complications. The attitude is changing very quickly.

WELT ONLINE: The birth date is during summer. Approximately during Wimbledon?
Roger Federer (laughing) : There is nothing to worm out of us - and this is the right thing to do.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote