Roger news and articles - Page 126 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #1876
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Can we get NYC Tennis fan to remove all this crap? Thank you.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #1877
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #1878
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations ,Roger!!
Officially 300 weeks at number one today

Rf.com

Credit Suisse

Nike Tennis

http://www.facebook.com/niketennis

sport.ch

Nadal

ATP

Quote:
ROGER'S RECORD REIGN AT NO. 1
FEDERER CELEBRATES 300 WEEKS AS WORLD NO. 1
London, U.K.
by James Buddell | 14.10.2012

Roger Federer guaranteed No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings for a 300th week as a result of reaching the Shanghai quarter-finals last week.
Roger Federer today begins his 300th week at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, a milestone that the Swiss believes is "probably one of my biggest accomplishments. I'm very proud of that record, no doubt about it."

So while all eyes are on the Race To London as players battle for year-end No. 1 honours and qualifying berths at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, today is a day to celebrate Federer and his enduring reign as World No. 1.

View Federer 300 Weeks Photo Gallery

Pete Sampras, who previously held the record of 286 weeks at No. 1, and Ivan Lendl (270 weeks) were among the first to pay tribute to Federer. Sampras said, "It's an incredible achievement and accomplishment to be ranked No. 1 in the world for 300 weeks. It is a testament to his consistency at the top of the game for so many years."

Lendl said, "Being No. 1 is a special achievement and also an honour. Congratulations to Roger for being there for 300 weeks."

Ever since he arrived on the ATP World Tour as a 17 year old with an elegant all-court game, the tennis world had been preparing to witness greatness. Once Federer lifted his first major trophy at Wimbledon in 2003, which set him on the road to the pinnacle of the sport, his career has been about monumental achievement.

Being World No. 1 is so much a part of him and his game. "I always felt tennis [it] was easier for me playing as World No. 1 than actually getting there," he says. The statistics prove his theory.

In his tenure, which first began on 2 February 2004, Federer has won 417 of his 469 matches (.889) and lifted 46 of his 76 career titles (.605). Without the World No. 1 ranking, Federer has gone 454-143 (.760) and captured 30 trophies.

Incredibly, he has lost no more than 10 matches as World No. 1 in any single season except 2008, when his record streak of 237 consecutive weeks at World No. 1 came to an end on 18 August, at the hands of his great rival Rafael Nadal.

Since February 2004, only two players have been able to wrestle the World No. 1 ranking away from Federer. By comparison, Nadal compiled a 140-22 mark (.864) and won 11 titles in his 102-week total stint at World No. 1, while Djokovic lifted four trophies and went 63-13 (.829) in his 53 weeks, which started on 4 July 2011.

"It's a great reward for me," said Federer at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. "I feel a great sense of satisfaction because of that incredible number and because of all the effort I've put into it. I know how much work it has been. It's not easy to stay at the top for so long and handle all the obligations that go with just playing tennis."

ATP Executive Chairman & President Brad Drewett remarked, "To have held the No.1 ranking on the ATP World Tour for 300 weeks is a phenomenal achievement, and quite simply unprecedented. The fact that Roger has been able to consistently re-write the record books over such a long period of time is a credit to his hard work, dedication and talent. We are extremely fortunate to have such an incredible champion at the top of our sport."

Few performers in any sport have given as much pleasure as Federer over the years.

One of the secrets of Federerís success is that he learned early on in his career never to under-estimate an opponent, regardless of their aptitude or his self-belief on any given surface. At 31, he continues to hold off his rivals.

Andy Murray, who recently won his first major title at the US Open, said, "It's his consistency that's been the most impressive thing. I hope when I'm 31 [that] I still have a lot of desire and [I am] still am trying to compete at the highest level.

"It's such a hard thing to do. He's been doing it now getting close to 10 years. That's very impressive in a sport as physical as this one to have done that."

Federer's enthusiasm for the sport is astonishing. Blessed with majestic movement, balance and a seemingly ageless body, he has managed his schedule carefully to ensure he continues to lead a golden era of menís professional tennis.

In his 300 weeks at World No. 1, spanning eight of the past nine seasons, he has earned worldwide respect for his genius and as a global ambassador for many causes.

After a decade of record-breaking achievement, it is hard to imagine the tennis world without him. He remains the ultimate scalp for any tennis player.

"It's extraordinary achievement - there is no doubt about it," said Djokovic. "There is no questioning his results and achievements. At 31, he's winning Grand Slams. He's always a favourite at any tournament he plays in."
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...1-Tribute.aspx

Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #1879
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #1880
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Pursuit Of Excellence

DEUCE
by Neil Harman

In addition to winning his 17th Grand Slam title and record-tying 21st Masters 1000 title, Roger Federer became the first player to reach 300 weeks at World No. 1.

Having qualified for the 11th year in succession, Roger Federer could win the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the seventh time. As Neil Harman of The Times writes, it is an extraordinary period of brilliance.

How do you find something new to say about the man who has had more words written about him than any other tennis player in the history of the sport? All the old ones come spilling back: grace, dignity, balance, effortlessness, simplicity, bravery, cool, chic, swagger. And talent. A talent from the gods.

It is a measure of all of those attributes that Roger Federer has returned to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals as the reigning Wimbledon champion, and as the only man in history to have spent more than 300 weeks as the World No. 1 (this season, he moved past Pete Samprasí record of 286 weeks at the top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings).

In addition to his 17 Grand Slam titles, he has won this end-of-year tournament six times, in Houston, Shanghai and twice in succession here on the side of the Thames. It is astonishing to relate that for those title successes, he has defeated six different players in the finals, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, James Blake, David Ferrer, Rafael Nadal and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. This is the 11th consecutive time that he has qualified to an event restricted to the best eight players in the world, and just consider that for an unbroken period of brilliance. Has the game stalled, have the improvements not been as marked as we imagined? Or is it that the 31-year-old Swiss has, time and again, been able to rise above the rest for what has been an extraordinary period of success in the sport?

Having been allowed the luxury of writing the Wimbledon annual for the past nine years, the images of Federer on the front covers (well, most of the front covers) remain remarkably unchanged. In the early days, there was a little more hair that fell in a ponytail outside a bandana, but what hasnít changed over the years is a championís serenity, a sureness of purpose, an incredible belief in both himself and the game that took him to the top and, for the most part, which has protected him from all-comers. There have been bruises, of course. No one stays around for as long as Federer has without taking the occasional knock, from his rivals on the court or from some of the scribes off it who have tended to regard every defeat as an affront to decency, and to wonder whether itís time for his retirement.

In the 12 months since winning last Novemberís title at The O2, he has won the Wimbledon Championships for the seventh time, won on blue clay in Madrid, on the purple cement of Indian Wells, outdoors in Dubai and Cincinnati, indoors in Rotterdam. Nothing much fazes him.

Perhaps the most marked and telling moment came at Wimbledon when, in the immediate aftermath of his victory over Andy Murray, a win which gave him the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking again, he shared the success with his three-year-old twin daughters, Myla Rose and Charlene Riva. He wanted his daughters to see him in his pomp.

ďIt was the first time the kids have seen me win a Grand Slam title,Ē he said. ďAs a parent you are always very protective but they have watched maybe 15 minutes of one of my matches and it was in Basel last year that Mirka surprised me by bringing the girls out for the trophy ceremony and I turned around and there they were. This was completely different because it was Wimbledon and that is where so many of my great victories happened and I felt very emotional seeing the family and sharing such an intimate moment in all the craziness that was happening. It was unique and a legacy for them, because usually they barely remember today what happened yesterday. I hope that one day they look back and say maybe this was a good thing we did. Who knows?Ē

Sharing these moments with his daughters is what keeps Federer going. He does not want to fade away, to start to struggle to recall what made him great in the first place. When Federer does not feel he is able to compete properly, then he will call it a day but, as he has mentioned at various times this year, the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 remain a target. I have had the privilege of reporting on hundreds of his matches. I hope to do hundreds more.

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...r-Federer.aspx
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #1881
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

For a moment there, Eden, I thought you'd managed to find your way behind The Times' notorious paywall, but obviously not. Thanks for posting anyway. It seems to me The Times has better tennis coverage than any other UK paper (not that that's hard) - it's just a shame I can't access it any more
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #1882
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/sp...ef=global&_r=0

November 2, 2012

The Man Behind Federer's Fitness

By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY

It was the year in which Roger Federer refused to fade away, when he won another Wimbledon and returned for a long, reaffirming stretch to No.1. And he celebrated his 31st birthday.

Federerís legacy to the game will be multi-pronged. With his flowing style and one-handed backhand, it will encompass aesthetics. With his interest in governance and player leadership, it will encompass politics and prize money. But what could be most striking may be his durability and consistency.

In a year when his 26-year-old arch-rival, Rafael Nadal, missed the second half of the season with knee problems, Federer ó as usual ó kept on ticking.

He has never retired during a match and has now played in 52 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments, four short of Wayne Ferreiraís record. If he makes it to the starting line for the ATP World Tour Finals in London after a week of rest and recovery, he will play in his 11th straight year-end championship, one short of Ivan Lendlís record.

The constant in Federerís ability to endure in style has been Pierre Paganini, his 54-year-old Swiss fitness coach, a former track and field athlete and soccer player who never played tennis at a high level.

He met Federer in 1994 when Federer was a prodigy-in-training at the Swiss national training center. He has been a formal part of Federerís team since 2000, when they put together a three-year plan with the goal of keeping Federer, then 19, healthy for the long haul. Based on the record book, it has worked like a Swiss watch. Excerpts from an interview with Paganini:

Q. What has Roger had to do differently to succeed at his age?

A. You donít have the same goals when a player is 19 or 31. When you work with a 19-year-old, you work long term, thinking about today but thinking about goals for the whole career arc. The more you get older, the more each season and the moment itself become important. Roger has an incredible capacity to still progress. Thatís why heís still on top: mentally heís very strong and can adapt to the physical side, too.

For Roger, you have to be good to find exercises that give him trouble. Heís so coordinated. In 2000, when we started working full-time again, I proposed a complex thing and sensed while he was doing it that it was more and more perfect. He then explained at the end why I had asked him to do it. It was fascinating to me. He had understood as an athlete how to do it but also understood why. He had the internal and external aspects covered. Heís not someone who consumes. Heís someone who creates.

Q. Why has he endured where others have not? Heís had ongoing back problems, but no major injury.

A. I think itís that his life is all related to tennis, but he also knows how to take a step back from it, which is really important. He knows recovery is an important part of the process, so for him itís natural to recover after a series of tournaments and then heís even more motivated to start training again. What I find interesting is that he is just as motivated now as he was as a junior. Iíd say even more so for the physical training. When he was young, he was an artist who wanted to be an artist. Now heís an artist who knows exactly what he needs to do to express his virtuosity.

Q. Conventional tennis wisdom is that his genetic gifts ó body type, natural grace ó make it easier for him than others to stay healthy. True?

A. I hear that all the time. To have a potential is one thing, but to express it for 70 matches a year is something else. Thatís Rogerís goal, to be consistent in each match and each training session. I think we underestimate all the work Roger does, and itís a beautiful problem he has. We underestimate it because when we see Roger play, we see the artist who expresses himself. We forget almost that he has to work to get there, like watching the ballet dancer: You see the beauty but you forget the work behind it. You have to work very, very hard to be that beautiful a dancer.

Q. With the power and physicality of the modern game, speed seems critical.

A. You canít forget we arenít talking just about speed; we are talking about speed and endurance together. You donít do one sprint like a guy who does the 100 meters. You go for three hours or more, stop and go. Thatís very tough, but you have 25 seconds or 90 seconds to recover. In all the work you do, you have to stay aware of that. We donít ask you to beat a speed record. We ask you to be fast repeatedly for a long time. Thatís what makes tennis interesting. You donít run 40 kilometers when a match lasts five hours. You run perhaps six kilometers at most.

Q. So has he lost a step?

A. Iím convinced that he has not lost a step. You also canít forget that Roger has a quality of anticipation that is enormous. In tennis, you donít only need to be fast. You need to run cleanly and use speed intelligently, and Roger is very intelligent in this department. Itís court vision, anticipation, maturity.

Q. Does Roger need to work as much physically as Nadal or Djokovic?

A. Itís not because his physicality is less in the forefront on the court that he doesnít need to work at it. Roger varies play a great deal. So if you vary a lot it means you also have to have footwork that is more varied. That means you have to train to adapt to his type of game. Itís why itís impossible to use one method with all the players. Federer is a different player than Nadal and Djokovic, but all three are champions.

Take someone who speaks English and French well and take someone else who speaks English, Russian, Japanese, Spanish and Chinese. Roger, for me, is the second one. He speaks lots of languages on the court with his creativity, but he also speaks lots of languages with his speed and coordination and his physique because he is obliged to do it because he is a creative player. What is more difficult? To speak seven languages or two? Seven, which proves that when you have lots of talent you have to work a lot, and thatís what Roger does. He wouldnít be able to continue if he didnít like it. You can work without really liking it when you are young because you are hungry. But when youíve done it already and achieved a lot of things, you have to really truly like it because you know whatís coming. When youíre 23 and the fitness coach comes, youíre surprised. But when youíre 30 and the fitness trainer comes, you know what to expect, and Rogerís still smiling.

Q. How much of a challenge have Rogerís back problems posed?

A. No matter what it is ó back, legs ó it can be a problem. But Roger is also really good because he knows his body and is very good at communicating. Itís happened several times where he could tell us that he senses something wrong before there is a concrete problem. That helps us to anticipate.

Q. If Roger were not a tennis player what would be his best sport?

A. In soccer, he could have been really good. Roger has coordination from head to hands to feet. He could have been a good javelin thrower, he could have been good in basketball or volleyball or skiing because he has a great sense of balance. Heís very versatile. I think young players should draw inspiration from this because itís like learning a language. When you develop a good, wide capacity for coordination when youíre young, it helps you express a lot when youíre older. Training for tennis shouldnít be done in a tunnel. It should be in more of a courtyard.
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #1883
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...ntingPage=true

It's top secret: Tennis star Federer on his love of James Bond and Lenny Kravitz

By ALEX KAY
PUBLISHED 2 November 2012

Sportsmail's Alex Kay sits down with Wimbledon champion and world No 1 Roger Federer and he reveals his taste in cinema, his favourite food and why he might ask Ben Stiller to play him in a film of his life.

Who is your sporting hero?

I grew up as a big fan of Boris Becker. Where I grew up German influence was strong. I played him in an exhibition and that was a goal fulfilled.

What would you be if you werenít a sportsman?

I would love to say something amazing like a ski instructor, but in reality it probably wouldnít be anything that cool.

Which other sportsman would you like to be?

I would love to play for Basel and lead them to a Champions League win. Most people remember when Red Star Belgrade won it and it does show that anything is possible.

Career highlight?

My latest Wimbledon win, with it being the seventh and in front of my wife and two daughters.

And the worst moment?

When I lost the Australian Open to Rafa Nadal in 2009. I got emotional just like Andy did at Wimbledon this year.

If your house was burning down, what one possession would you save?

Once the family were out it would have to be my Grand Slam trophies.

Whatís the best advice youíve ever been given?

My father has been there for support and advice all my life. Both my parents have always been there for me.

Favourite karaoke song?

I donít think anybody would want to hear me sing it but I guess it would be Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz.

Three most-listened to songs on your ipod?

I like Lenny Kravitz and Iím a big AC/DC fan.

Last film you saw?

In Wimbledon we rent a house, unlike other Grand Slams where itís hotels. I will often watch a movie in the evening. I watched three James Bond films during Wimbledon.

Last book you read?

The only things I seem to be reading are stories for the girls. Where I grew up fairytales have a big history.

Favourite Pre-match meal?

Pasta the night before (heavy on the carbs) then maybe a chicken salad before the match. And a fruit smoothie.

Can you cook? Best dish?

Itís not something I do well. My favourite dish is veal cordon bleu but it is much tastier when I leave it to the pros.

Your favourite holiday destination?

Sardinia is beautiful. I also love Miami.

In a film of your life, who would YOU like to play you?

Ben Stiller and Justin Timberlake are at a lot of the Grand Slams. Maybe next time I could ask if they are interested.

Whatís the most expensive thing youíve ever bought?

I like luxury cars but now I am a father my choices need to be far more sensible.

Tell us a secret...

I became the first living Swiss to feature on a Swiss stamp in 2007. I am proud of where I come from, so it was an honour.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #1884
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #1885
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

few days ago I was reading article from swiss press that Fed will ask for 1,5-2M dollars appearance fee from Basel tournament next year. Swisses said that last 4 years they were paying him 0,5M dollars and now he wants multiple more. I mean Fed, if this is true Has someone red something about it ?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #1886
country flag kissakiss

http://www.thetennisspace.com/specia...er-foundation/

Special Report: The Roger Federer Foundation

Simon Cambers

Wednesday, 24 October 2012

As the CEO of the Roger Federer Foundation, Janine Handel gets to see Roger Federer the businessman, rather than the tennis player. More importantly, she works with the Federer family to build a strategy that improves the life of children in Africa who are living in poverty, giving them an education from an early age. In 2012, their charitable donations will be around 3 million Swiss Francs (£2 million). Handel, who will be speaking at the inaugural London Tennis Debate at Canary Wharf in November, tells The Tennis Space why Federer is so keen to give back.

Roger is a phenomenon – a global brand and globally recognised. That must help? Yes, first of all, Roger is very well recognised in public and this gives him also a certain obligation, to be professional in what he does. He has one of the highest reputations around the world, of prominent people, so you need to do everything to not put that reputation at risk. This is very much his character. If he does something, he tries always to do it right. And this is also in the world of philanthropy, where he realised after a certain while, if we don’t do everything to reach the best possible impact with our money – we invest in social activities – this is not reflecting my character or my behaviour in the rest of my life. Sure, we are followed by the press and by his fans so he is a role model. We receive many reactions, emails, on Facebook, personal emails here to his Foundation, where people say: ‘you are inspiring us with your engagement in Africa’.

I think he’s motivating others to do so as well. This is why it is important that the Foundation has his name as well. But it is linked with a burden that what you are doing is really visible and controllable and you need to be accountable for it. If you take other prominent people who are an ambassador for one UN organisation, they will never be accountable for this organisation. But Roger is 100 percent accountable for everything the organisation does. This is an obligation but this was also the wish of Roger that he can control what he is doing. And the commitment, therefore, is bigger because we really designed a Foundation which reflects Roger’s and his family’s wish and will and emotional world.

It is clearly a family organisation – is that a big factor in its success? It is. It is a family, professionally-managed, ground-making organisation. But it is a family and for me it is a crucial point that it remains a family organisation because that’s its strength. There’s always a risk when professional management comes in, that the family retires, steps back, loses ownership of the whole thing. For me, this is crucial because people believe Roger, people very much trust him, in his credibility and his approach. They trust that he is professional. He is somehow a guarantee but I would refuse to be the CEO of a Foundation where this is just in the front like that. For me there must be 100 percent ownership of the family in the Foundation, otherwise it would be a farce and I would not give my reputation to a farce.

What percentage of funding comes from Roger himself? Let’s say 80 percent or 90 percent because if Roger was not involved, it would not be his Foundation and people would not give the money to us. It’s a combination of indirect donations from Roger, money that would normally be income of Roger and he says instead of paying that money to me, please pay it directly to the Foundation. These are different kinds of resources. All his sponsors are donating to the Foundation – I don’t believe that they would donate to the “Thomas Mueller” Foundation so this is all very strongly linked to Roger. But also since we became professional, since we can really show that we are getting results with our work, more and more little professional donors are joining us, little Foundations which have no staff – they say, OK we don’t have to reinvent the wheel ourselves, let’s donate to the Roger Federer Foundation, so donors which are not linked to Roger – they are few, but they are very welcome. But there again, without the public image of Roger, they would never find us. We are not doing pro-active fund-raising, that’s very important to know.

If you take other foundations like Agassi, Tiger Woods, they have huge teams, I think in Tiger Woods’ Foundation there are 30 people just caring about the fund raising. Our fund-raising costs are zero. All we do is inform about our work, we communicate about our work, that’s it. People are joining us because they are inspired by us or because they are convinced that we are doing a good job, or because they love Roger. We are receiving many signals of solidarity from fans or friends or people around the world who admire Roger but also trust him in his professionalism, and also all the sponsors of Roger.

Do tennis players have an obligation to help others who less well off? I think it’s not about tennis players but about people in public. In my eyes, they have huge potential to become role models and they should also use this potential. I would even go so far as to say it’s an obligation that they are sensitive in this fact that they are role models. People are watching them, they are inspiring people so they should absolutely use it. How they do it is a personal decision. Roger is very consequent how he uses it. He took actually the most consequent path in philanthropy and this is creating his own Foundation. So not only is he donating, he is taking the responsibility of all actions of an organisation, the Roger Federer Foundation. This is visible, this is accountable, and this is the most extreme way you could go in philanthropy, as a prominent person.

What makes him so keen to do it? This is very natural. He comes from a family with a strong social background. When I was a kid, if I spent my holidays in Italy, that was already an exception. Roger was spending his holidays in South Africa, in the bush, camping. So this African way of life, African reality and also the poverty, this is something he lived. It’s not something in theory for him, from books, so it was very natural that he felt responsible to give back to people who are less privileged than he was. It’s very much the education from his family to do so. This was very much an idea from within the family from the beginning, that you give back, when you are a little bit luckier than the rest.

How is Roger physically involved? He’s president of the Foundation so the day to day work is not his business. As the president of the Foundation, it is the strategic level which he is incisively involved. That means, if we are taking new partners on board, this is very much the decision of the board. If our financial planning, for the next five years, is very much a decision of the board and also depending on him, how much income will the Foundation have very much depends on him. The visits on the ground, this is more to come down to earth again because this is all about the children. You need to connect with reality again to know why we are sitting around the table in Switzerland for a Board meeting.

Roger always plans ahead in his tennis career. Is he the same in business? Absolutely. The commitment to have his own Foundation was a commitment for a long-term charitable engagement. The Foundation was not established for his tennis career, it was established for the period after his career. But as the big majority of players were only founding their Foundations at the end of the career, there was once an exchange with Andre Agassi where he said: ‘if I could do it differently, I would have started the Foundation earlier’. Roger took notice of that. But the golden age of his Foundation will be after his career so we are, let’s say, in the preparation phase. We are very much in an increasing phase, a learning phase, an establishment phase, so finally when Roger has more time to become an even more important actor in the Foundation, on a strategic level, we are ready.

How much has the charity given away so far? It started very small, just one project, I think around 100,000 Swiss francs. Then 150,000. In 2010, when the decision was taken for a professional management and to become promoting ground-making charity, the expenditures were 650,000 Swiss Francs. This year, we will have expenditures of around 3 million. They did the first donation in 2004 but (what’s important) is the trend and last year we were 2.4 million, this year it’s 2.9 or something like that and next year it will be increasing, with two other new partners on board. It’s really the vision behind it.

What’s the biggest challenge? The big challenge is our daily work; how can we have real impact on the ground with the children. It’s a challenge to find the best partners – we only work together with local organisations – to find these partners; how can we strengthen these partners so that we can really make a positive difference on the ground. The challenge is not that we invest $1 into the ground and have an outcome of $1; the ambition is that $1 will have an outcome of $100. We always have external factors that influence the situation and sometimes you need luck but that’s the ambition and that’s the challenge. And that’s all that counts.

And you must be thankful that someone like Roger is the boss and figurehead? Every day, I am extremely happy that I can contribute something to make the world better for children. That’s the only thing that counts for me. Sure it’s fascinating to be part of Roger’s world because he’s a unique personality but for me (in the final analysis), it doesn’t make a difference. I worked eight years for the Swiss government and that was a fascinating employer as well but for me, it is the outcome, the impact I can achieve with my work which is motivating on a daily basis, not who is paying my salary. I see a huge potential in our president which is still building and will be even better used in the future, which I think is a nice future, a nice vision as well. That’s motivating as well, where we are heading to. For me as CEO of a Foundation it’s less important if he wins a match or not; as a private person, sure I follow (the results). And he is just the nicest boss I have ever had.

Janine Handel will be speaking at the inaugural London Tennis Debate, which will be held at Canary Wharf on Wednesday November 7, featuring Ion Tiriac, Pat Cash and Justin Gilelstob https://twitter.com/LDNTennisDebate

Last edited by kissakiss : 11-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #1887
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
few days ago I was reading article from swiss press that Fed will ask for 1,5-2M dollars appearance fee from Basel tournament next year. Swisses said that last 4 years they were paying him 0,5M dollars and now he wants multiple more. I mean Fed, if this is true Has someone red something about it ?
I just posted this on GM:

Quote:
Apparently Roger gets a fee of 500 000 Swiss Franks (around 414 000 Ä or 531 000 $) and now Tony Godsick asks to double this. Godsick was in Basel to discuss with tournament director Brennwald but they postpone the talking until the end of the season.

Brennwald hopes that he will get the chance to talk to Roger alone.

Roger mentioned that money isn't the key and if it would be about money for him he would play more in Asia because players get paid much more there then in Switzerland.

2 years ago IMG (Godsick's former company) wanted to get the rights for the tournament from Brennwald but he didn't wanted to sell the tournament at that time.

Swiss Indoors lost an imporant financial sponsor with Davidoff a few years ago when they were forced to step down from sponsoring the tournament.
I guess the main problem is the tournament schedule. Not even most of the players in their 20ies are playing 3 weeks in a row.

We have seen what happened in Paris - and some of the players who lost early there didn't even played the week before in Basel or Valencia...
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1888
country flag kissakiss

From what I read in China's media, China Open offers $2 million appearance fee to Roger.

And I read in a Swiss press article that the appearance fee given to D'jokovic and Murray by the Swiss Indoors Open was much higher than what Roger had been receiving but obviously Roger is the biggest draw by far. Rene Stauffer mentioned in a twitter that Roger wanted to be treated fairly. And the turnover of the tournament this year is about CHF20 million (I wonder if tickets of Basel Open are the most expensive with average at CHF 250, barring tickets of some SF/Final rounds of grand slams).
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #1889
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1890
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Nice articles - and nice to see something a bit different, so thanks, everyone. (Especially for cutting and pasting the Daily Mail article so I didn't have to increase their visits total to read it - I have a URL for a site which allows you to read DM articles without your visit actually registering on the site, but can't remember what it is - don't suppose anyone knows?)

Re appearance fees, all I remember from the Swiss articles is a 7-figure (in SF) number being mentioned.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote