Roger news and articles - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #166
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

You are welcome

There's a short report about Roger in the Swiss newspapers. He is in Switzerland at the moment and practiced in Zürich with Roman Valent, who won the junior title in Wimbledon in 2001.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #167
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

The way Paul is describing Roger's trials and tribulations and putting it in the context of Pete's problems, I can almost feel that he is fishing for a job as Roger's coach.

Having said that, I would be pretty happy if Roger and Paul hook up. Roger can probably easily pay the penalty for Paul breaking the LTA contract.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #168
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA (MEN)
May 2, 2009

ROME, ITALY

N. DJOKOVIC/R. Federer
4-6, 6-3, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How did it get away from you after the rain delay, if that's the case?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I was in good shape. Maybe also a little pity that I didn't get the break to go 3-0 before the rain delay.
But after that, actually I started okay. I thought he came through with a bit more energy, you know, after the rain delay. Before that he was pretty flat.
So that was maybe -- you know, all of a sudden it became a different match and he played better, you know. Should have held once, you know, to not give away one of the breaks at least. Then I would have had a better opportunity.
No, I thought he was playing better. Definitely had the win on my racquet today, so it's pretty disappointing.

Q. If you compare with the match in Miami, are you more dissatisfied by this match, or the same feeling?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, Miami was a difficult one just because I played pretty good in the first set. Thought I was actually playing, you know, sort of in control, and then I completely lost control.
You know, so this time around it was different. I was in the match obviously all the way through. Feel like this is not a match I should have given away, you know, because break up in the second, break up in the third, and I usually don't give away opportunities like this.
So it's bad, but I still have some work to do on the clay. I think I'm playing better obviously than Monaco. The hard work has been paying off. But just got to fix my serve a little bit. I have the feeling that maybe since I had the back problem, my serve is just not working there where I want it to be.
I think then -- I feel that in the tough it maybe could have saved me a few times and it didn't, so that's something I have to make sure I can fix for Paris.
Other than that, there was some good moments, sure, which is a good thing. Also some bad ones. I have to make sure they don't happen as frequently, obviously.

Q. You had some problems with your backhand, and you made a lot of backhand errors towards the end of the game.

ROGER FEDERER: I thought the ball was definitely flying more when we came back after the rain delay. Things kind of got warmer, and there was more bounce in the ball. Yeah, maybe I was just miss-timing them a bit. That's the reason, I guess.
You know, but I wish it would have been a bit more solid. But, honestly, I don't think I lost the match because of my backhand.

Q. Would you actually like to play Nadal on clay before you get to Paris? I know you can't do it here. It can only happen once more, and that's in Madrid. Would prefer to go in to Paris having tested yourself against him on clay, or does it not matter?

ROGER FEDERER: Doesn't really matter to me. I mean, I think the last few years it's helped Rafa playing me before Paris. Just that he knew maybe a bit more what to expect from me, whereas you know exactly what you're going to get with Rafa. So I think it maybe worked more in in his favor the last few years.
We'll see how Madrid turns out. If we have to play each other, I still think it's a great match and I would look forward to that. But the focus is elsewhere right now.

Q. From the stands it seemed that the second and third set when you lost your serve you rushed a little bit in these games. Is that the feeling you have, or is it something else?

ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I mean, I tried to take my time and focus on my serve and make sure I start off the point well. Potentially, you know, I try always not to rush too much. That's what he was doing as well when it wasn't going his way in the beginning of the second set. It's always something you try to slow down a bit, you know.
But I didn't have the feeling I was particularly rushing. Points were just going quickly, you know, because he would hit it close to the baseline and I was made an error and not get my first serve in.
Obviously at Love-30 things are not that easy anymore, you know. No, but you try to take your time and go step by step. But sometimes it just goes quick when you play bad.

Q. How will you prepare now? Will you go Italy someplace, or back to Switzerland?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I'd like to go back to Switzerland. I've been on the road again for a few weeks here, so I'd like to go there and make sure I get early enough to Madrid and get used to the altitude. Just make sure I'm in good shape over there.

Q. You said at the start of the week that you thought getting to the semifinal would be kind of satisfactory. You might have an idea where your game is. With the circumstances today, is that kind of a disappointment now that you haven't gone all the way and gone to tomorrow?

ROGER FEDERER: At the end, it's always disappointing for me when I exit a tournament losing a match? I've gotten used to winning tournaments, you know, and then leaving a tournament having lost just leaves a bitter taste, obviously.
It doesn't take me long to get over it, but in the moment itself it's just not really fun. Because it's just these kind of matches I feel like I should have won here and I end up losing them, so it's just not a good feeling.
It's just a matter of getting back in shape and, you know, playing good hopefully in Madrid again.

Q. You think we would have seen a different match if it wasn't raining? Not to find an excuse; you don't need that.

ROGER FEDERER: Speculation. I mean, I think things were going well for me. You know, I was playing him well and serving well when I had to and putting him under pressure. So it kind of definitely changed the momentum.
I mean, the rain delay came at a perfect moment for him, because he came through a tough service game at 2-0 down. Instead of going 3-0, he goes 2-1 and then the rain comes, so he's got something positive to look at.
Then when he comes back conditions changed, so, sure, it helped him. But then again, who knows. He might have come back anyway and beat me in the end. He did well today to use the rain delay in his favor, that's for sure.
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #169
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
The way Paul is describing Roger's trials and tribulations and putting it in the context of Pete's problems, I can almost feel that he is fishing for a job as Roger's coach.

Having said that, I would be pretty happy if Roger and Paul hook up. Roger can probably easily pay the penalty for Paul breaking the LTA contract.
It wouldn't be a bad try. How are you Mahesh?
"Champions arenít made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.Ē- Muhammad Aliď

óóóóóóóóóóóó
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #170
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
It wouldn't be a bad try. How are you Mahesh?
Doing good Soraya. How are you?

Many of the regulars from two years ago (including me) aren't posting as much as they used to. On the other hand, there seem to be a lot of new fans posting so that is good.

Anyway, it would be great if Fed can hire Paul but I am not holding my breath.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #171
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
Doing good Soraya. How are you?

Many of the regulars from two years ago (including me) aren't posting as much as they used to. On the other hand, there seem to be a lot of new fans posting so that is good.

Anyway, it would be great if Fed can hire Paul but I am not holding my breath.
Ditto, I think Paul would be a good fit for Roger, he has a good grasp of the game, has worked with champions who most considered finished and is a guy who knows how to work with smart players.

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #172
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonlyhsn View Post
Ditto, I think Paul would be a good fit for Roger, he has a good grasp of the game, has worked with champions who most considered finished and is a guy who knows how to work with smart players.
A double ditto from me.

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #173
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/2397066...rarapa-hospice

Two of the world's biggest sporting stars have donated personal items to help raise money for dying cancer patients in Wairarapa.

Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer and world golf No 1 Tiger Woods agreed to lend their help to support this month's Wairarapa Hospice fundraising sports memorabilia auction.

A signed shirt and photograph was sent from Federer's camp in Switzerland while Woods' Kiwi caddy Steve Williams forwarded a signed golf glove and two golf balls.

The glove is the only item at the May 30 auction with a reserve, set at $3000.

One of the auction's backers, Greg Peters, took a gamble and sent email requests to some of the world's sporting greats. He said the support from the likes of Woods and Federer was overwhelming.

"It has been so refreshing that these people or even their organisations had the courtesy to reply. Every single one of them said they were backing us because it was such a worthy cause. I really didn't expect that kind of response because to some of these people, where is the Wairarapa?"

Other donations included a pair of boxer shorts, which had been flown to France and back by the All Blacks' physio, just to be signed by Daniel Carter, and a baseball cap from golfing legend Greg Norman.

And not only did a Superbike GP champion, Australian Casey Stoner, come up with a signed shirt, "his mother rang me from Australia and wanted to apologise that Casey couldn't make it to the auction personally on the night. We hadn't even been as bold as to mention that in the emails, but that is the type of person with a heart that we have come across", Mr Peters said.

Tickets to the black-tie auction at Masterton Town Hall are $30.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #174
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #175
country flag Rita

Rita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond reputeRita has a reputation beyond repute

PRESS CONFERENCE
May 15th 2009

PLAYER
Roger FEDERER (SUI)

MATCH RESULT
Roger Federer (SUI) d. Andy Roddick (USA) 7-5 | 6(5)-7| 6-1

Q: There seemed to be times out there today when you appeared to be enjoying yourself as much as you have for a while on clay. Do you think that that would be a correct statement? Do you think that you were playing well at times?
A: Yes, I think it was a close match, there was a good atmosphere, good weather, all of that helps. I thought it was a good match, I think Andy was mixing up his serve very well and I think I came up with some nice points, you know, those make me happy, so, Iím happy with the way I played today, of course, I should have or could have won in straights but that is what happens when you play Andy sometimes but it bounced back well in the third and I played well.

Q: Do you think that you are going to have some kind of fitness advantage in the semi finals considering that your opponent are probably going to start playing at around 11 tonight?
A: Not really, itís best out of three after all. I donít think Andy and Del Potro played last week either and they both had a bye, so, itís not like they had to play seven matches in the last seven days, so I donít think itísí going to come down to fitness, itís not that hot at the moment, I didnít even have to change my shirt today even though the sun was out, maybe sitting on the stands for over two hours might have been hot but for us down there it was actually the perfect conditions. So I doubt it, I think itís going to come down to who plays best.

Q: Could you just analyze the potential semi finals?
A: Sure. Del Potro, I had a great match with him in Australia, I know thatís not going to happen again, that happens very rarely on tennis so Iím expecting a tough match because he played well against Stanislas. Iím sure if heís able to beat Murray itís going to be a tough one. I like his game and the way heís been coming through to rankings is impressive. Whereas with Andy Iíve been having more problems, itís been more difficult to beat him but then again I havenít played him on clay, I was supposed to play him on the Davis Cup but they decided to not make him play so, which was funny but Iím excited to be first to go to semi finals and letís see what happens in the semis tomorrow.

Q: Which of the components of your game are you more satisfied with at the moment? And which ones are you not so satisfied with?
A: Well, I think this week is a kind of a different week, the balls fly, itís quick, you can play quick points if you want, which is a good thing and on top of that I have also been trying to keep the points shortÖ Letís say itís been a tough week because I havenít been playing those regular Spaniards and guys who want to extend the rally, Iíve been playing guys who have been standing in trying to keep the points short and have big services like Soderling and Roddick. Itís never easy but at the same time Iíve always been a dominant player from the baseline, so I know whoever Iím going to get in the semis is going to be much different, Iím going to have to work much harder and the rallies will be extended and itís going to come down partly to the fitness level and to the mental strength as well, which I havenít had to show quite that much yet this week. Iím not saying that Iím uncertain about what is going to happen in the semis but there are good things in my game, there are also bad things and I just feel like I have to tighten up a few things and there are definitely big improvements that I can use this week, I just havenít had to show them yet.

Q: Playing in the altitude of Madrid, what is the shot that is most difficult to control? Is there a shot that you donít use as much as you would somewhere else?
A: NoÖ I mean, balls fly here but at the same time I feel like I have control of the ball, which itís a good thing because sometimes, you know, a few years ago I would get on clay and I would really struggle with the returns or just to be able to play the back hand over shoulder height at the beginning and that doesnít seem to be a problem for me anymore during this week and I think thatís definitely a good sign when looking ahead to the French open where the bounce is not going to be that bad. Certainly the slice floats but I feel that I have it under control, Iím not missing any easy ones and those are all good things, so, I feel like I have a decent amount of control over the ball this week.

Q: Roger, Del Potro said yesterday that he is ďthe best of the bad onesĒ and he put you and the other 3 in different league. Do you agree? Do you see such a big gap between him and you 4?
A: Well, I donít know how the points have been but we have been the most dominant and solid. Heís got many tournaments coming up that needs to defend, itís going to be interesting to see how heís going to play first up against the two possibilities that are going to be highly ranked at the French and at Wimbledon, thatís definitely going to give him some chances. I guess heís right but at the same time, all the other players are very strong too, I think that the pack behind us are solid and dangerous players. They are also playing consistently and thatís why theyíre coming through to the quarters very regularly and very comfortably, actually. Also heís one of the youngest and therefore has most potential to improve, with Tsonga I guess.

Q: If it is Andy tomorrow, do you feel that it is about time that you beat him? I think that heís won the last four between you and I know that you want to protect the difference in points between your second ranking and his third ranking.
A: Not really, itís not my goal. I want to get back to number 1 but heís been playing very well, very consistent, heís maybe going to struggle a bit more on clay but thatís kind of normal, you know, itís early in the season on clay and itís short for us, we only play a handful of tournaments and itís kind of tough but, sure, Iíd like to beat him, at least on clay, especially after losing to him so many times this year on hard courtÖ I just have to make sure that I put on a solid performance.

Q: Would you like to play in Buenos Aires in the Telmex cup? People would be very excited to see you there because we have never seen you in Buenos Aires.
A: Itís a long way. The reason why I never go there is because itís in the season I usually play in Europe or in Dubai, isnít it? And I donít usually go on clay before Indian Wells or Miami. I wish I could go to South America more often, to be quite honest, but the swing they have is a bad timing for me, the travelling is hard so I have to pick my weeks and I hope that if I donít come for a tournament I will eventually play some exhibitions at least, because I know that I have many big fans over there, especially in Argentina and there are many good players, so, who knows, before we even know it Iím going to be there for Davis Cup, so we never know.

Q: Did you change anything technically about your backhands?
A: Not really, itís just a feeling I have and thanks to all the other players who played to my backhand itís improving, you know, itís a good thing! Especially on clay where there is more of the kick serves and I have to slice them, I always do this on all surfaces and itís been a successful play but itís important to be able to come over it, also in the being able to step in on the return and to take it early. Itís just important to find the right timing and with the bad bounce on clay you have to be very selective but I feel like Iím hitting it OK, which is a good thing.

Rogelio no complain he good boy no?

Rita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #176
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

he looks in a very good mood and confident

good luck tonight Roger

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #177
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting comments he made regarding Murray. Usually he'll say something about his own play against Murray that winds up being the deciding factor in the outcome, but here he's saying that he really hasn't been able to beat Murray and just wants to put in a solid performance. He also says that they 'haven't played on clay' before as if it's a last refuge.

Hopefully he has two strong matches with the serve and fh to close this tournament.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #178
country flag SUKTUEN

OFF COURT - MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT

Dear Fans

My fan community on facebook is steadily growing - a great thing to see! Along with my website, my facebook account is the perfect place to exchange all kinds of information, pictures, videos, links, etc. I'm already looking forward to seeing you all there, just follow the link below to access my page.

Kind regards
Roger

http://www.facebook.com/Federer?sid=...d01&ref=search
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #179
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
OFF COURT - MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT

Dear Fans

My fan community on facebook is steadily growing - a great thing to see! Along with my website, my facebook account is the perfect place to exchange all kinds of information, pictures, videos, links, etc. I'm already looking forward to seeing you all there, just follow the link below to access my page.

Kind regards
Roger

http://www.facebook.com/Federer?sid=...d01&ref=search

Thanks dear Suki for posting. I was not even aware Roger had a link on facebook.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #180
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Interesting comments he made regarding Murray. Usually he'll say something about his own play against Murray that winds up being the deciding factor in the outcome, but here he's saying that he really hasn't been able to beat Murray and just wants to put in a solid performance. He also says that they 'haven't played on clay' before as if it's a last refuge.
This is the closest he's gotten to admitting that Andy's got his number. This year, he's done some bit of trash-talking as regards Andy and got whacked each time. He dished out some on Novak, too, and he's 0-2 against him this year. Humility much?
Rommella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote