Roger news and articles - Page 115 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #1711
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Excellent article, Doris. Thanks. It will be nice to see him back on court.

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #1712
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #1713
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Paul posted this update yesterday on facebook
Quote:
Casualties of hard work !- Clay season is upon us RF grinding through workouts, all good, looking forward to a big push !

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-A...80222785334503

and today on his twitter
Paul Annacone ‏ @paul_annacone
Quote:
Beautiful day on the red clay for practice- Michael Berrer been working hard with Roger--- counting down the days until Madrid ATP 1000
http://twitter.com/#!/paul_annacone

Renne Stauffer has interviewed Roger earlier today and asked some of the fan's questions from twitter
just a preview ( should be available tomorrow sometime)

Quote:

samir lumani ´s question.

RENE MY QUESTION TO FEDERER WOULD BE DOES THE NUMBER RANKING STILL MATTER TO HIM

"Absolutely. He said to get back to no 1 would be the coronation and he does everything to make it happen "

Eric Salliot‏´s question

Hi. I heard he will play in Marseille in 2013... True?

"Absolutely not. He knows they want him to play there but he has not made any plans for february 2013 so far "

Mhd-Hicham´s question.

why did he miss Monte Carlo Masters?

"he played so much before, needed a break. was even thinking about not playing indian wells and miami, if Swiss reached DC-Quarters"

Yannick Cochennec ´s question

Why is he so conservative ? No to hawk eye, no to blue clay, no to Wimbledon pod. Is he Mister No ?

" he said he doesnt feel conservative, only traditional. but he acknowledges that tennis needs to try out new things as well "

Mashenka Rodriguez´s question

Professionally, What is his biggest goal right now?

"to win in Wimbledon - either the Championships or the olympic gold. he said they are equal for him"

The interview will be out tomorrow in Tages-Anzeiger, in german.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/tennis/
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1714
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #1715
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

I translated a long interview with Roger for RF.com and thought to post it over here as well:

„To be #1 again would be a crowning moment”

By René Stauffer

Roger Federer is looking ahead to a centenary summer in tennis. The 16 times Grand Slam winner knows which big chances he has and does everything in order to use them.

Roger Federer arrives alone, without his manager, without press advisors or overseer. The 30 years old Grand Slam record winner has invited 6 Swiss tennis journalists into the Panaroma hotel Feusisberg. At first there is a group interview and afterwards one-on-one interviews. Federer seems at ease but serious and it feels that he is in the middle of the preparation for one of the most important stages in his career.

From May 6th there will be the big clay tournaments in Madrid, Rome and Paris and the grass events in Halle and Wimbledon within 2 months. And then there is the Olympic tournament which takes place in Wimbledon from July 29th to August 5th.

You are in a six weeks stage without a tournament. Do you make the attempt now for this unique tennis summer with the Olympic Games in Wimbledon as an extra bonus?

That I lost early in Miami (against Andy Roddick) and we didn’t have to play in the Davis Cup was surely quite lucky under the circumstances. I had more vacations and can do a better build-up. But I left everything open this year. When we had won in the Davis Cup against the USA I would have maybe skipped Indian Wells and Miami. From Madrid to Wimbledon I will maybe only have one free week and afterwards there will also be a huge stint and therefore a longer break was necessary.

Madrid will be played on blue clay for the first time. What do you say about this revolutionary innovation?

I have no idea how this will go to be. We were against it, Nadal even vehemently and I support him. He fears that a tradition is getting broken and that one tournament director wants to have blue clay, the other one grey, green or red one. I’m also for traditions but I can understand it that new things have to get tested. The clay in Madrid has to be perfect though otherwise it will be a debacle for the tournament.

You are not vehemently against it?

I’m against it because Nadal is against it and we would have other options. But tournament director Ion Tirias has insisted ad nauseam. In the end we said: He does a lot of good things for tennis so we let him go with this one. But it isn’t good that he has such things in his hands.

You went from Miami to vacations in the Caribbean. When did you start to practice again?

Already at the end of the holidays I started to practice again. I let Jesse Levine fly in as a sparringpartner. When I came back to Switzerland in the middle of April I fully started to practice. I didn’t had any problems with the weather as I started to work on my condition with Pierre Paganini first. But I played enough tennis. Beside Paul Annacone and Severin Lüthi there was Michael Berrer here for a week. I’m totally on the timetable.

Do you have respect of all the waiting challenges during this summer?

There is a wonderful stage ahead of us with many highlights. Therefore the motivation isn’t a problem. We tennisplayers are really privileged to have so many highlights. I divide the next months in 2 blocks: First the stage with French Open and Wimbledon, then a 3 weeks break before the Olympic Games and the hardcourt season in North America.

Which tournament would you like to win in 2012 the most: Paris, Wimbledon, Olympic Games or US Open?

For me Wimbledon has always been the nonplusultra and it is still special for me.
That we have the chance this year to play there in the same stadion one month after the Grand Slam tournament is huge luck for our generation. It is nice for me to have chances everywhere. I hope that I can win a few of those tournaments.

If you could choose: Would you prefer to be Wimbledon- or Olympic Games winner this summer?

I don’t have any preference there, both is equally important to me even though Olympic Games has the bigger scarcity value. Many people think that I would reach more for Switzerland with a victory at the Olympics but I don’t see it like this. It gives me pleasure that we go to Wimbledon with a strong generation – with Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and I. The tennis tournament will be on everyone’s lips. This should be good promotion for the future of tennis at the Olympic Games.

Does it increase the pressure that it could be your last Olympic Games?

I don’t think it’s impossible to play in Rio as well. We have pressure everywhere. What makes the Olympic tournament dangerous is the fact that it will be played over best of 3 at the beginning. 10 weak minutes will be enough and everything can be over. It’s another event like the Grand Slam tournaments.

Will you stay in a house in Wimbledon for the Olympic Games as well?

Yes, we have rent the same house for both tournaments. It will be a new one again. The lessor from last year didn’t want to give us the house this year again.

Is it a big aim for you to defend the title in doubles with Stanislas Wawrinka? You only played seldomly together and are only ranked #1272 in doubles.

The doubles in the Olympics are a huge aim for sure. But it is difficult for me to play there as well. I play so many tournaments and had minor problems with the body. I felt my feet the whole time in Rotterdam, the Davis Cup and also in Indian Wells. The only thing which is going to help you is vacations and rest. It wouldn’t be smart to play doubles beside singles. But I hope that I can play somewhere before the Olympics with Wawrinka. I have to approach him, he is always accessible.

Most of your fans think mainly about two questions: Do you get back to #1 and win a 17th Grand Slam title?

I don’t know. But you can see which incredible chances I still have. We talk about absolutely big success here. That is also the reason why I work hard and give everything. The #1 is possible for me this year but I have to play extremely well. Djokovic can win his 4th consecutive Grand Slam title in Paris and when he manages to do this it will be very difficult for me to get #1 within the next time. You have to respect this. But he hasn’t won in Paris yet and when I continue to play well I am at least in a good position – if I would be able to win a Grand Slam title.

Would it be the crowning moment?

To get back to #1 would indeed be a crowning moment, absolutely, it would be incredible. Therefore I’m doing everything for it and played more tournaments.

In Monte Carlo you could have theoretically get back #2. Didn’t you felt tempted to play there?

Yes, but at some point it gets too much. I didn’t played the tournament in Rosmalen back then when I could have stayed #1 for one more week and break the record of Pete Sampras.

Why have you refused the offer to play a show match in the Bernabeu stadion of Madrid on July 14th against Nadal?

The date – the first Saturday after Wimbledon – doesn’t fit me at all. I will be on vacations then. I could have done it one week later but it wasn’t possible. It would have been great and I now hope that he will have success with Djokovic.

Has your relationship with Nadal in the last months cooled down because of the dissensions you had? He has stepped down from his position as vice precident of the players council – of which you are the president.

We surely have seen each other not that often. He wasn’t in Rotterdam and Dubai, I wasn’t in Shanghai and he wasn’t in Bercy. We only saw each other in London, Melbourne and briefly in Indian Wells. We have a bit more distance at the moment compared to times when we saw each other for weeks nearly daily. That’s one of the reasons why there have occurred certain problems as we couldn’t communicate that often. That shouldn’t be an excuse though. But I also think it’s normal that we have differences in opinion. I don’t have a problem with Nadal no matter what he says or thinks. What’s important is that he keeps on being interested in the political goings-on on the tour and that he wants to actuate things.

Do you support Nadal with the blue courts to enhance the goodwill again?

That has nothing to do with it. This topic has been talked about one year ago before our dissensions about the election of the new ATP president or the system of the world rankings.

There’s not much to win for you as president and you already got criticizes by players as Nadal, Stakhovsky or Davydenko. Haven’t you ever thought about to chuck in the job?

When I would react spontaneously I would have maybe already resigned. But I never felt personally attacked. Many players exaggerate with their threats and then nothing is gonna happen anyway. Some wanted to go against the Grand Slam tournaments way to aggressively as they think that they don’t get enough of the big profits. Roland Garros and Wimbledon have meanwhile reacted and gave answers and now everyone is more satisfied.

Wimbledon has increased the price money now. Players who lose in the first round get 26 % more as last year. Is this a way for success for the council?

Yes, that’s a success for all involved. Important is that the Grand Slam tournaments are fair. They can do whatever they want as they have a secure status. In the last 10 years the price money mainly has been increased for the later rounds and now it was important that the others would get a chance. The tournaments are in better positions and now the players get something back. It doesn’t have to be 50 % like it has been in the NBA but also not that less as at the US Open.

At the French Open Nadal can write history beside Djokovic when he wins his 7th title. Do you see yourself as a potential spoilsport in Paris?

No. But it is incredible for Djokovic that he gets the chance to win his fourth consecutive major title. I had the same chance twice and Nadal had it in 2011 in Melbourne. It has never happened in the history of tennis that three players had this kind of chance within such a short time. I think it’s great that the best players play that well at the moment. When I don’t win a tournament it’s most of the time another player of the Top 4. That’s quite incredible.

You have been the most in-form player overall in the last months but neverless you are still a bit in the shadow of Nadal and Djokovic. Do you mind this?

It also has to do with the fact that I didn’t play in Monte Carlo whilst Djokovic won in Miami and Nadal in Monte Carlo. You only have to go on vacation and everything is different… But I really enjoy it to completely disappear and don’t have to talk with anyone. I’m omnipresent all the other time – in tennis, in Switzerland. I’m pleased with my situation.

Do you catch yourself thinking about your life after tennis? Your girls are growing-up and are nearly 3 years old. What kind of influence does this have?

It’s a great situation for us. At the moment we think about where we want to live one day, where the girls go to school. That hasn’t been decided yet. There are small things which I have to decide slowly. It is nice for me that I can influence their way, nearly day by day with our education and the rules we make for them. I’m often thinking about what I would do when I would stop to play tennis. If I would work as a coach, play showmatches from time to time as Pete Sampras…

… or senior tournaments as the Zurich Open in the Saalsporthalle…

Exactly. I don’t have an idea yet. It depends how fit I would be, how much I would like to travel, how much I’m occupied with my foundation. A lot of things are possible as I met so many people. But I know that I’m a tennisplayer and that is what I want to be – and that’s what we concentrate on fully now. Everything else can wait.

You bought a property in Herrliberg. Is it decided that you are going to live there one day?

It is an option to build something there but we haven’t decided anything yet.

Do you want to have more children?

We are enjoying the little ones yet which keep us on the run the whole time. I think we will talk about it next year. At the moment this decision is a bit afar.

You were in the stadion when the ZSC won the ice hockey championship. You looked a bit shocked or is this the wrong impression?

No, I wasn’t unmoved. I sat there with Seve (Lüthi) and he was extremely for the SCB. At the deciding goal I thought: “Oh my god, that can’t be true.” But this is why we like to watch sport as we don’t know what is going to happen. It was brutal for the SCB but an incredible performance by ZSC. I had a lot of fun as I like to watch icehockey. But I felt sorry for the Berner fans and players. But they had their chances and you have to live with something like this.

Original source: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/te...story/18230641
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #1716
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Doris, great article
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #1717
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Doris very much for translating.
He wants Wimbledon bad. And I want his dreams to come true.
Would love to see him with that trophy again in his house
Come on Roger, it has to happen!!
We believe
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #1718
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #1719
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...roger-federer?

TRAINING CONFIDENTIAL: ROGER FEDERER
Heavy metal and pasta power the legend’s regime

Roger Federer’s record 16 Grand Slam titles are proof that nice guys do occasionally finish first. But, aside from giddying natural talent, what other elements have helped him to nearly 10 years of serve-smashing dominance? ShortList met the unfailingly polite star in a Swiss hotel to talk medicine balls and, surprisingly, Metallica...

Is there a part of your regime that you’re particularly fond of?

Interval training. You run 30 seconds, have a break for 30 seconds, then do it all over again. I can do that at a high pace for a long time. I’m not quite as good at continuous running, because [during a tennis match] we always play in short bursts, then wait 15, 20 seconds to play the next point. Interval bursts keep you fit, and are fun.

Is there anything you’re not great at?

I’m terrible at push-ups. I never do them. If you could do 100 in a row I’d be so impressed. That to me is like the ultimate fitness test. My coach was doing 650 every day in January — he was completely broken at the end.

Do tennis players need to do any conditioning, or is it all fitness?

I actually quite like to do weights. I don’t do normal repetitions because it’s more important for me to have explosive endurance for all those quick bursts I was talking about. So I don’t lift just one weight, I vary it.

What sort of things do you recommend?

I do three sets of 7-12 [reps]. I work on my quads then I combine that with some jumps. Or you could work your upper body by using a medicine ball with maybe 10 quick throws to motivate you. So you keep doing combinations, which means you can go back and forth and keep it interesting.

How often do you train?

In terms of tennis playing, there are periods when I play every day for almost 40 days in a row. But then there are times when I don’t play at all for two or maybe even four weeks. The change is that drastic. But that’s what I need to bounce out of the craziness of this world, especially on tour. There’s a lot of fitness work I do while playing, but I’d rather [train] in extremes than let it linger on without a break from practice. Especially now I have a family, as it’s good to get away and spend time with them.

Have you ever struggled with boredom while training?

I used to be a terrible trainer. As a teenager, I was horrible, I couldn’t stay focused. I was the ‘Why?’ man — “Why do we do that, why do we do that?” But then I eventually understood why I was doing all those weights. I understood why I did the running and everything else. Eventually, it all made sense and it made me happy. That motivated me when I was having to get up at 7am to do weights and play tennis. It wasn’t always fun, but I knew the light was at the end of the tunnel.

Do you listen to music while you are training?

When I do weights, there’s usually a lot of music. But when I go for a run, I focus on the running. I grew up on trance, dance music, which actually works out well for fitness, and then I got into the whole rock’n’roll, Metallica, AC/DC, that kind of thing. I like to listen to it loud.

What food do you eat to help you in your training?

The complicated thing is that because of the travelling, you always want to grab the safe bet — and the safe bet is always pasta. But it’s the thing that’s worked for me. I eat pasta almost every time before I play and it always helps — it fills me up but it doesn’t overfill me.

Have you ever had any memorable training blunders?

I was playing tennis once and my friend was serving. Just as he was about to toss the ball up — and I’m not kidding — a bird flew in and sat on the net. He hit the bird with the ball, it fell on my side and there were feathers everywhere. What are the chances of that happening? I saw the bird coming and said, “Don’t hit!” but it was too late.

Gillette is funding coaching qualifications. Apply at Facebook.com/gilletteUK
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #1720
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the terrific articles.

Luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #1721
country flag mcavoyfan

mcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond reputemcavoyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Informative articles...Thanks for them!!
Hopefully Roger gathers steam for the upcoming clay season!

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTROJO-WILFRIED TSONGARICHARD GASQUET

Not a fan of Nadal or Djokovic but respect their achievements
mcavoyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #1722
country flag SUKTUEN

thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #1723
country flag mlrf11

Location: That soft pink cloud where "my avatar" sent me. ♡ ♡ ♡
mlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond repute

@kissakiss Thanks - Wow it's nice. With my poor English I red this interview and understood it. I enjoied of reading it.
That of Dors is too difficult to me to understand and stay focussed to read it all - it's so long
I admire you that you could translate it all!
17 7 ⓇⒻ = Ⓣⓗⓔ ⓉⒺⓃⓃⒾⓈ #1 302

♡ ☼ ❤ ⓇⓄⒼⒺⓇ ❤ ☼ ♡
————————————————————————————————————————
* Haas * Dimitrov * Tsonga * Wawrinka *
The "Who plays tennis?" thread
mlrf11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #1724
country flag Fed_Ds

there was another swiss article, which someone translated from rf.com,

Quote:
This interview with Roger was taken by Andreas W. Schmid in Feusiberg, Switzerland and it was printed in the „Basler Zeitung“.

Roger invited a handful journalists to Feusisberg. At the beginning all of them asked questions together.
After that, the journalists got to sit together with Roger alone to ask their own questions.
FULL interview with Andreas W. Schmid.

Q: Roger Federer, you have calluses on your hands…

Roger Federer: … so what?

Q: Well, Having calluses comes from working .. and we thought, everything just seems so easy for you.

Roger Federer: Precisely not. This is real callus and doesn’t just come from nothing, but from hard practice.

Q: We feel reassured. A lot is coming up, so that a good preparation can be deciding.

Roger Federer : Yes, big moments are waiting for us Tennis players. That is why I am very motivated during practice. And I’m looking forward to the matches. Also because the past six month have been very good.

Q: Which one of the four big events is the most important one for you?

Roger Federer: Difficult to say. Wimbledon remains the ultimate, also because my idols – Sampras, Edberg and Becker, triumphed a dozen times. I won the juniors tournament in Wimbledon, have beaten Sampras. Those were special successes. And just right there it’s where the Olympic Final takes place four weeks later. That is an exeptional luck for our generation. But of course the French Open and the US Open are also important. If I think about it, I have to say: Tennis is a privileged sport. In other sports athletes have to wait months or even years, until they have another highlight again. For us, one highlight chases the other.

Q: If you could pick – would you choose the victory at the Grand Slam tournament at Wimbledon or the Olympic victory at Wimbledon?

Roger Federer: For me, there is no difference. It’s clear that more people will be seing you, during the Olympic Games. Plus you don’t only win for yourself, but also for Switzerland. Of course it’s special, that the Olympic Games only take place every four years. If you can’t win, you have to wait pretty long, before you get another chance again.

Q: If you come away empty-handed from the Olympic Games you would have to wait until 2016. Will you still be around by then?

Roger Federer: I didn’t really think about it much yet. But It's not unthinkable that I play in Rio.

Q: Your next tournament is Madrid on blue sand. What do you think about it ?

Roger Federer : I am against the blue sand, because Rafael Nadal is against it. I support him, if he says, that this is against the tradition of a clay tournament. At the end, so Rafael’s worry, we play on all the colours, on blue sand, on green sand, on black sand. A real clay tournament is played on red subsurface. On the other hand, I do understand that they try to make something new from time to time to get attention. Just how Ion Tiriac is doing it in Madrid. But clearly, the sand has to be perfect, or it will be a debacle.

Q: During the past month you have had some differences of opinion with Rafael Nadal. For example because of the tournament schedule, which he thinks is too full. Is this an admission to Rafael Nadal now, since you are supporting him during the argument of the blue sand colour?

Roger Federer: No, that doesn’t have something to do with that. The blue sand is a topic since about a year now. So, even before the differences we had about some topics. Sometimes we have the same opinion and sometimes we don’t.

Q : Doesn’t that have an influence on your friendship ?

Roger Federer: Not for me. I think it’s too bad, that he steps down early as players council vice president. I would like to see him during the meetings and know his opinion about a topic. On the other hand, I do understand him. If you can’t make it with all your heart, it’s better to step down from this task. I don’t know for how long I will remain president of the players council. It is much more time-consuming than people think.

Q : You haven’t only been criticized by Rafael Nadal, but also other players. Some players said, that you are too diplomatic and too much Swiss.

Roger Federer : Important is, that not all of us have the same opinion. But they also need a resting pol. That doesn’t mean that I don’t share my opinion. I want to share my part, so that Tennis can advance. But if I do denounce, I do it open and fairly and not behind their backs and by talking „dirty“ to the media. That is contra-productive. Then sports falls back and an incredible 7:5 in the fifth set counts much less than a polemical message. Thereby it’s the tennis ball that should be in the center of attention and not any political stuff. That has broken the NHL and same with the NBA. That is why I do hope, that there will be no boycott.

Q: In relation with the discussion if the tournament calender is overloaded or not, other players do say: Federer is in a good position, he doesn’t have any signs of exhaustion.

Roger Federer: Well, people see that completely wrong. It’s not that I do have a magical body, that is never injured. I played injured several times. But I do listen to my body. I also take my freedom to take some weeks off if I do feel tired. Sometimes the others don’t know when it is enough and prefer it to collect the startmoney at a tournament instead to cancelt he event. My plans on the other hand have always been longterm and not only fort he upcoming tournaments. That is why they have to check for themselves. Whereas there can be unfortunate injuries, where they can’t blame themselves.

Q: Where does it hurt you lightly?

Roger Federer : That it hurts lightly sometimes is normal. I am a pro athlete since almost 20 years now. If I wouldn’t feel some signs of exhautions sometimes, that wouldn’t be normal. Where it is exactly, I can’t really tell. Once here, once there. But I hardly do have muscle ache. I’m grown up and know what my body can take or not.

Q: Have you watched the Monte Carlo Final between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal?

Roger Federer: No, if I am not playing the tournament I don’t watch at all. Nadal is clearly the man to beat on clay. Okay, Djokovic also played incredible on sand last year. I don’t know, what was up with him in Monte Carlo. I just know, that Nadal can run you down on sand if you are not on your highest level. To win Monte Carlo eight times in a row is an incredible series.

Q : It is going to be difficult for you to break that record…

Roger Federer : (laughing) Seems like. I don’t know, how that could be still possible.

Q: Lets look ahead to the Olympic Games: Are you going to be the flag bearer for the third time? Or will you leave this honor up to Fabian Cancellara?

Roger Federer : I will support every decicion. Of course, I would love to do it, because it is a big honor. Those were special moments in my carrer. It was my birthday in Peking, exactly 8.8.08. It was also special in Athens. If Fabio Cancellara is going to be the one in London, I would be happy for him. He is a good and dear guy with incredible results.

Q: Cancellara fell into a deep hole after the 2008 Olympics. Did something like that happen to you as well?

Roger Federer: No. I think we have an advance in Tennis for that. Because we have so many highlights. Also, you can’t afford it to race if you don’t have your full strenght. For Tennis, where you have about 80 matches a year you can go there and see how it goes.

Q : Books about you are booming. In a book called « Fascination Federer » the author Dominique Eigenmann writes that he loves you. Doesn’t Mirka get jealouse about things like that ?

Roger Federer : No, no. With those kind of love declarations she can live very well. (laughing)

Q: You haven’t written any autobiography yet. Why not?

Roger Federer: I don’t feel like revealing everything.

Q: What chapter would be the most interesting?

Roger Federer: From my view, nothing is really exciting, even if I have a remarkable carrer. I know all about myself. For my fans, the most thrilling chapter would be to know how it all works behind the scenes.

Q: Your kids will shortly be three years old. In two years they will start Kindergarden. Where will they do that?

Roger Federer: We will see. One thing for sure, I will see them less, if I will continue playing Tennis. If I do still wanna play Tennis then, we will see.

Q: Will you move to Herrliberg?

Roger Federer: I bought land there, it is actually an option. But if and when we will beginn to build, we don’t know yet.

Q: Is it possible that you move to Basel or Basel area ?

Roger Federer : I can see myself having an appartement at the Rhein. But I haven’t given it a thought yet. First of all I’m looking forward to the Chalets, which we are building in Lenzerheide right now.

Q: Since you are successful, the newspaper in the nordwest Swiss always discuss about it on wheter you are from Basel city or from Basel area. Please do tell us, so we can write it correctly in the future.

Roger Federer : What are you writing right now?

Q: Roger Federer – from Basel area.

Roger Federer: I was born in Basel city hospital. If you consider that, both is correct.

Q : You might think so, but not the Basel city people or the Basel area people. They wanna know now.

Roger Federer : I don’t wanna start a fight. And for somebody like me, who travels so much Basel City and Basel area are one region, even, if there are differences. You can be reassured: No matter if you write Federer from Basel city, or Federer from Basel area, both is correct.

Q: A typical diplomatic answer from a Swiss.

Roger Federer : I am Swiss … and from Basel City … and from Basel area…
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #1725
country flag SUKTUEN