Roger news and articles - Page 106 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #1576
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

Merry Christmas Roger!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #1577
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Rogelio just don't be a hypocrite and spoil us new year wishes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #1578
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to highlight the most important quotes and then realised that I have highlighted almost every word of Roger and then decided that I should simply do so.

Roger Federer sticks to schedule while fellow tennis rivals complain

Paul Oberjuerge

Dec 26, 2011

In slack moments at press conferences involving elite tennis players this year, a favoured line of questioning has been to inquire about the schedule.

It is a topic nearly certain to get a rise out of players who otherwise are plodding through another media session.

The schedule! Endless. Pitiless. Destructive. Certain to end more careers than tennis elbow.

In the past six months, Novak Djokovic has questioned the current calendar. Rafael Nadal deemed it "crazy" and "not possible", and predicted that "because of it, we will all have to retire when we are young". Andy Roddick suggested that players might need to form a union to stand up to exploitative tennis officials and tournament organisers. Andy Murray declared the schedule "messed up, and we need to change it".

Absent from the chorus of critics? Roger Federer, arguably the greatest - as well as most durable - player in tennis history.

On Friday, the Swiss for the fourth time plays in the semi-finals of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship at Zayed Sports City in Abu Dhabi.

In an electronic question-and-answer exchange with The National,he seemed to suggest that the schedule 'twas ever thus and that players control their own destinies.

"We have to remember that the season has always been long and gruelling," Federer said."That's what makes tennis so amazing.

"Just imagine, in the old days most of the top players were also playing doubles."

He said the tennis calendar is not designed as an instrument of torture for elite players.

"I have always tried to make sure people realise that there are many players who are playing tennis and it's not just the top guys," he said. "There are other players who don't win every week and want the tournaments and need the jobs."

Players are obliged to play 16 tournaments (the four majors, the eight Masters-level tournaments and four of their choosing), and if they play fewer than 18 tournaments in a year they lose rankings points.

Certainly, Djokovic's schedule through the US Open, coinciding with his surge to the No 1 world ranking, was extremely rigorous (76 matches). But welcome to Federer's world: the 16-time slam champion has played at least 70 matches for 11 consecutive years, including 76 in 2011, when he turned age 30.

"I think the biggest challenge for the top players is managing our own schedules and not overplaying," he said. "This is key to health and long-term success."

He concedes that the issue warrants continued study, but said that some improvements already have been made. "We now have many 28 [player] draws in the ATP 250 events, we don't play three-out-of-five-set matches in the ATP Tour anymore and we will end the season earlier next year.

"We need to see what happens as a result of these changes before making any new changes."

He added that "we need to do what is right not just for the players but also for our tournaments, who are our partners in the management of the game".

He acknowledges changes in the game since his 1999 debut as a full-time player. "The slowing of the court surfaces, the string technology and the evolution of today's modern athlete has contributed to making tennis … more challenging for the athlete," Federer said.[/b]

As for his own longevity? "My passion for competition and my love for tennis has a lot to do with it."

His passion and love bring him back to Abu Dhabi for the fourth edition of the Mubadala tournament, for which he expressed fondness despite never having won it.

"It is an amazing way to start the year," he said. "Abu Dhabi does a great job of welcoming us players to the area, the fans are amazing, the crowds are great, the hospitality is perfect and you are almost guaranteed to have nice weather and competitive matches, which helps you get a jump start to the year."

He will be hoping to open the 2012 season at the same level he ended 2011. He won 15 consecutive matches and three tournaments - including the Paris Masters and the ATP World Tour Finals in London - to conclude the year as the man to beat.

The Federer who will play in the capital is one who continues to look forward, intending to be a better player tomorrow than he was yesterday.

"I have always said that the minute you decide or think that you cannot improve is the time that you should stop playing," he said. "The good news for me is that I feel like I still have things to learn and parts of my game to improve, so I am excited for the future."

poberjuerge@thenational.ae

Last edited by kissakiss : 12-26-2011 at 12:31 PM.
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #1579
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #1580
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

He's playing Rotterdam, Doha, Dubai, and Halle.

Very front loaded schedule. Interesting he's not playing much clay this year, only RG, and Rome. Rome will be his first tournament on Clay. He's got 6 hardcourt tournaments before clay season.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #1581
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Interesting.

He's playing Rotterdam, Doha, Dubai, and Halle.

Very front loaded schedule. Interesting he's not playing much clay this year, only RG, and Rome. Rome will be his first tournament on Clay. He's got 6 hardcourt tournaments before clay season.
He is playing Madrid Mastrers on clay too. Three tournaments. I think its perfect really. Like 2011. Overplaying on clay at his age wont help him and he doesnt need to anyway

He has frontloaded his schedule too much for my liking. I am thinking he will pull out from some tournament(s) if he goes deep in AO and Rotterdam, if he plays. He should methinks.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #1582
country flag feuselino

feuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the schedule is very front loaded this year. And there are the Olympics as well... he should skip IW and Miami I think...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #1583
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuselino View Post
I agree the schedule is very front loaded this year. And there are the Olympics as well... he should skip IW and Miami I think...
I dont get why he would skip IW and Miami but play Dubai and Rotterdam. That wud just be stupid
But I think skipping Miami wont be a bad idea. I just dont see him better than last year there, it is slow as ass
He can skip two Masters events next year and I am sure he will skip one in the latter half of the year. Maybe Montreal or something because of the Olympics.
And with Paris sandwiched between Basel and WTF, he may end up skipping that too
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #1584
country flag SUKTUEN

he can change his mind in anyway~~
Old 01-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1585
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

IW is just as bad as Miami if not worse in terms do slowness. If he didn't have SF points to defend I'd say skip it. But that's a lot of points to give up. And who knows what Murray will do this year with Lendl in his camp now.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #1586
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
And who knows what Murray will do this year with Lendl in his camp now.
Oh dont panic
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #1587
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Murray - Lendl team is intriguing.

Murray needs to be watching the rear-view mirror. If my suspicions are correct (Rafa winning only 3 tournies this year), it will be the changing of the guard, much like 1985 was for Lendl.

Last year was the oldest top 10 since the early 70s with Roche, Laver, Rosewell, etc.

As for Federer on clay, Djoko's never made a French final. Murray hates the surface. He's never lost to anyone on clay save Nadal at RG.

I'd say clay is more favorable to his game than slow Hardcourt.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #1588
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Yes, the Murray - Lendl team is intriguing.

Murray needs to be watching the rear-view mirror. If my suspicions are correct (Rafa winning only 3 tournies this year), it will be the changing of the guard, much like 1985 was for Lendl.

Last year was the oldest top 10 since the early 70s with Roche, Laver, Rosewell, etc.
Hi Sean!

Murray-Lendl is indeed an interesting combination. I can't wait to see all those glorious radiant smiles from the two when Murray's back on court.

Quote:
As for Federer on clay, Djoko's never made a French final. Murray hates the surface. He's never lost to anyone on clay save Nadal at RG.

I'd say clay is more favorable to his game than slow Hardcourt.
Uhm, I agree with you that Fed seems to be doing better on (fast) clay nowadays than on slow HC, but the part that I bolded - I remember some Swedish guy who did beat him at RG, too. You know, that fellow that some call 'a fluke'.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #1589
country flag JediFed

Grim and grimmer?

Quote:
Uhm, I agree with you that Fed seems to be doing better on (fast) clay nowadays than on slow HC, but the part that I bolded - I remember some Swedish guy who did beat him at RG, too. You know, that fellow that some call 'a fluke'.
I can honestly say that I have no recollection of the event.

Of course, the Sodaking wasn't a fluke. He beat both Rafa and Roger on clay - quite an accomplishment. I hope he's healthy this year, although Tsonga stepping up was nice to see too. However, Sodaking and Tsonga aren't exactly 'young' anymore.

I'm talking guys like Tomic... He might just win a slam this year.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #1590
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Oh dont panic
Panic? Ha! You wish!

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote