Roger news and articles - Page 101 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #1501
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

he doesn't play Round 1 and so he doesn't play on Monday... or do you think he's going to lose to bye?
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #1502
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Federer at peace with age and ranking

(AFP)

NEW YORK ó Roger Federer is relaxed about turning 30 on Monday, having slid to third in the world rankings and the chance that this will be the first year since 2002 in which he does not win a Grand Slam title.

The 16-time Grand Slam singles champion told reporters on a teleconference Wednesday that he still has the competitive fire to challenge Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic for tennis supremacy.

"The fire has always been there clearly," Federer said. "I've always enjoyed my matches with both guys, particularly the rivalry with Rafa has been very special. I have massive fire and power to play against those guys."

Federer has accepted the fact that Nadal and Djokovic, together the winners of the past six Grand Slam singles titles, have passed him in the rankings.

"I'm at peace with myself because of it. There's nothing else I can do," Federer said.

"I'm very laid back about the situation. Sure, I'd love to be World No. 1 and not No. 3. No. 3 is a good ranking. It's not number I don't know what. I'm at peace with that."

Federer, whose most recent Grand Slam crown came in last year's Australian Open, lost to Nadal in June's French Open final after dispatching Djokovic in a semi-final, snapping the Serbian star's 41-match unbeaten start to the season.

But at Wimbledon, Federer suffered only the third loss of his career when up by two sets, falling to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals after winning his first 178 Grand Slam matches when leading by two sets.

"I thought Wimbledon was unfortunate, but I haven't been thinking too much of what's been happening. I'm more looking forward to what's hopefully to come," Federer said.

"Physically I'm fine. I think I have had a solid season so far. Now I feel really eager to go."

Federer returns to action at ATP Masters Series events in Montreal and Cincinnati the next two weeks, the US Open tuneups being his first tournaments at age 30, a milestone he has already started looking beyond.

"I'm already way past this point. I'm already thinking beyond the Olympics next year. That's kind of how my schedule goes," Federer said.

"Birthdays happen. They're part of life. I'm happy I'm getting older. I'd rather be 30 than 20, to be honest. To me it's a nice time.

"In the preparation nothing changes. Do you listen to your body more? Yes you do. Are you more wise? Yes you are. Are you more experienced? Yes. Do you have 1,000 matches in your body? Yes you do. You just go with what you have.

"It's not going to affect anything really."

Despite Father Time claiming another set, Federer does not approach the upcoming US Open as any sort of last chance after losing the final to Juan Martin del Potro in 2009 and watching Nadal beat Djokovic in last year's final.

"I don't feel it's my last chance, not at all," Federer said. "I see many more chances to come. Maybe it's the last Grand Slam of the season, fine. But still there are many more tournaments than just Grand Slams.

"I know I'll be measured very often just by my Grand Slam results, which is fortunate or unfortunate depending how you look at it. My game is in a good place right now and I'm excited to see how I'm going to do at the US Open."

Federer does not see himself as the average 30-year-old ATP player trying to hang on for one last day in the sun.

"I don't want to say I'm a special case, but I've won so much you feel like if you put yourself in the right position, you do all the right things, you'll definitely get a shot again of winning any big tournaments, or any tournament really for that matter," Federer said.

"My planning is always in the long-term. That's why I'm looking forward to see how much I can achieve from this point forward.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...92da11c97b.7a1
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1503
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer: Iím Really Close to Making Something Special Happen

by Staff

Roger Federer met with the media today via a conference promoting his upcoming scheduled US Open Series events in Montreal, Cincinnati and then New York.

Hereís the transcript:

An interview with: ROGER FEDERER

TIM CURRY: Thanks for joining us today for our Olympus US Open Series conference call with Roger Federer. Roger will be making his 2011 Olympus US Open Series debut next week at the Rogers Cup in Montrťal and is also scheduled to play the following week in Cincinnati. Roger is the 2007 Olympus US Open Series champion and collected the biggest paycheck in tennis history that year $2.4 million at the US Open, $1.4 million at the Open, and $1 million as the bonus for the being the Series champion. Roger has also won six Series tournaments since the Series began in 2004 which is the most of any man or woman. Roger is joining us today from Switzerland and is on a tight schedule, so we are limited to about 15 minutes with him. With that weíll open it up to questions for Roger.

Q. This is the first year Cincinnati will be a combined event. I wanted to know your thoughts on the format and how it will change the atmosphere there.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, true, yeah. I think itís a big change, to be honest. I think itís something weíre in some ways excited about. The game is growing again. I think they made some nice changes already last year to the site. Iíve heard thereís more changes coming again this year. So I think thatís something weíre always excited about. Sure, I think combined events make it maybe a touch more stressful for everyone trying to get practice courts. Thatís a moment of peace and calm before a match. But weíre kind of used to it on the tour with the big tournaments and combined events anyway. Iím looking forward to it. Iím always excited to see changes in a tournament as the years go by and Iím looking forward to see it.

Q. Given the smaller field, packed with higher-ranked players, do you think a Masters 1000 event like Cincinnati is more difficult to navigate than a Grand Slam?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, itís different. I think, I mean, I came through as well when the Masters 1000s and Super 9s were played six matches in six days. That was sometimes back to back. So six matches, you had to travel that day and play another six. Iím used to having tough and rough schedules, brutal matches and so forth in a row. So for me, whatever it is, I just think you are mentally and physically well-prepared and then you deal with it in the moment itself. Iím always looking forward to playing Cincinnati. Itís not an easy tournament to win. I kind of struggled with it the first time I went to Cincinnati. It was almost too quick for me. Lately Iíve always played really well in Cincinnati and I hope itís going to be again the same thing this year.

Q. Roger, can you talk a little bit about the role of anticipation. We talk about how much the game has become a movement sport, but we donít hear a lot of talk about anticipation. Can you talk about the role of that in the game today. Is it something that can be taught or learned?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think itís something youíre sort of born with, if you play a lot of tennis early on. I always thought Martina Hingis was a great anticipator of where the ball goes. I donít think itís enough today. I think you have to be very athletic and explosive. I think thatís what the top guys are doing at the top of the rankings. Think they have maybe that extra step, that extra somewhere to go and find the ball and get it back. I think you need a lot of different things to do really, really well now. I just think itís tough, itís physical tennis. But I enjoy it. Iím happy Iím going through this period of time, too.

Q. Novak Djokovic is someone that moves so well. Do you think he anticipates particularly well?

ROGER FEDERER: I think everybody does. I think we all read the plays pretty good. Others read some players better than others. Some read certain serves better and some donít. But I still think you need to be quick and I think also at a certain time, you know, it kind of goes faster in terms of ó Iím sorry, Iím trying to find the right words. When you play a player 10 or 20 times you also know the chances of where the balls are going to go. Itís not so much anticipation anymore. Eventually, itís maybe more percentages and you start to learn those as well as time goes by.

Q. The Montrťal and Toronto event is combined but in two different cities. I was keen to get your thoughts on that.

ROGER FEDERER: Iím honestly not quite sure how itís going to be for us. I think we have to wait and see. But clearly I think itís a bit unfortunate for Canada just to have two big events like this at the very same time. But I guess itís sometimes what it is. I still think in the cities, like Montrťal and Toronto, I think itís going to be very successful. I have no doubt about that because the Canadian Open puts on a great show, a great event for the fans. I guess we have to wait and see how it goes in a couple weeksí time.

Q. Iím curious as to why you think itís unfortunate? Just because you have two great events and now you have one?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, no. You still do have two, but theyíre the same week. I just think it would be nice if you have them spread out like they have been. Is it good to have them back to back? I donít know. Is it good to have one in February and one in September? I donít know. I guess itís Tennis Canada that has to answer that question, not me. Maybe it feels like a bigger tournament to some. Iím not sure.

Q. Roger, you have a big birthday coming up in a few days. People probably will make a big deal out of it. Are you looking forward to it or do you feel any trepidation? How might it affect what you do this summer and going forward?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, itís not going to affect anything really. Honestly, very often, I did come to Canada, it was my birthday. Canadians always make a big deal about my birthday. Itís not going to be very different this time around. This time itís even a bigger one sort of because itís a round number. But I always like enjoying my birthday I donít want to say in public, but at a tournament maybe around that time. So for me itís not something completely different or new. Iím looking forward to turning 30. Excited to see how the Canadians are going to celebrate my birthday this time around. Sometimes they start singing ĎHappy Birthdayí during a match. Iím not going to play on Monday, but you never know if theyíre going to do something crazy another day.

Q. Do you see this as a significant milepost in your career, take stock, reevaluate, see where your priorities are, or do you roll right through it as if it were 27 or 31?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, look, my plans are probably always a bit a year ahead of time. I probably plan one and a half years ahead. So Iím already way past this point. Iím already thinking beyond the Olympics next year. So thatís kind of how my schedule goes. Birthdays happen. Theyíre part of life. Iím happy Iím getting older. Iíd rather be 30 than 20, to be honest. To me itís a nice time. Like I said in the preparation, nothing changes. Do you listen to your body more? Yes, you do. Are you more wise? Yes, you are. Are you more experienced? Yes. Do you have a thousand matches in your body? Yes, you do. You just go with what you have. The important thing is I work hard, Iím professional, I enjoy my time on tour, and I have that going for me. Iím very happy about that.

Q. Roger, historically youíve used this time effectively in the past as a mid-season camp. What have the last four weeks been like for you? For all the opinions that are out there, where do you see your game right now?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, Iíve been practicing the past two and a half weeks. Itís been somewhat good weather in Switzerland, so I could always practice outdoors, which I was quite happy about. Iíve been playing well, moving well. But then again, I always feel like the true tests are in matches. For me, practice is never most important, but it did get important maybe 10 years ago, letís say. I realized that practice is very important to becoming a better player. For me, itís really the results that sort of tell me where Iím at and not really practice. But I think practice gives me information on how Iím feeling physically. And physically Iím fine. Iím not having any back issues. This time around I didnít go through any aches and pains except muscle pain in the early stages when I started my practice again. But thatís completely normal. Now I feel really eager to go. Iím almost a bit tired. But with the tired, not too crazy days when I get to Canada, Iím going to be in perfect shape for the tournament to start. Iím in good states [sic]. Do you wish you had more time off sometimes? Yes, you do. Itís in the middle of the season. Two and a half weeks is really plenty of time to work on your game.

Q. Roger, just wondering, of your performances this year, which of those would you draw on to give you most satisfaction? Would it perhaps be the French Open and the final itself? Would you use that to motivate yourself going into the second half of the year?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, honestly I donít think I really need necessarily motivation to draw out of matches. I think sort of the first half of the season has been actually pretty good. I think I played good tennis. I donít feel Iíve walked off many matches this year feeling I played poorly except the Dubai final and the Miami semis. Other than that, I think I was playing pretty well. I think I had a solid season so far. I played a lot of matches, to be honest. I feel thatís a good thing this year, whereas last year I went through a period where I didnít play enough. Thatís positive. I think Iím really close of making something special happen. I thought Wimbledon was unfortunate. But I havenít been thinking too much of whatís been happening. Iím more looking forward to whatís hopefully to come. Thatís where my mindset has been the last few months really or last weeks since Wimbledon really.

Q. Itís interesting that Rod Laver won a Grand Slam when he was 30, all four in a year. Iím not suggesting you might do that. Do you draw any satisfaction that it can be done?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, yes. I mean, itís nice to talk about something more positive than that than saying after a certain time or when you have kids you canít win anymore like many people tend to say or talk. But I think I donít want to say Iím a special case, but Iíve won so much you feel like if you put yourself in the right position, you do all the right things, youíll definitely get a shot again of winning any big tournaments, or any tournament really for that matter. I always said, inspiration for guys that play for a very long time, like Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors, Ken Rosewall, Rod Laver, itís very inspiring to see what theyíve been able to do for a very long time. My planning is always in the long-term, as you know. Thatís why, yeah, Iím looking forward to see how much I can achieve from this point forward, for sure.

Q. Roger, a while back you said when you were younger you sort of hit with a certain freedom. Ryan Harrison is 19. You beat him at Indian Wells. He said about you that Federer plays anyone else than Rafa or Djokovic, he plays with this swagger, where, ĎItís my match, Iím going to win it.í But he thinks itís more uncertain when you go out and play Djokovic and Nadal. Could you comment on that?

ROGER FEDERER: I havenít heard about it. I didnít read the piece. The only reason why I kind of heard about it was because Ryan wrote an apology to my manager to me saying he was misquoted. I like Ryan as a guy, as a player, as a kid. Everything gets blown out of proportion. I think thatís his opinion. At the end of the day it doesnít matter much to me because I know what I need to do to beat those guys. He didnít even need to write me a letter, but he did. So that was very nice of him.

Q. Having said that, when you go out against Novak and Rafa, do you have that fire, that confidence that you once had or is it a little different these days?

ROGER FEDERER: I think Iíve always had, for sure. For sure, for instance, I went into the French Open final not maybe as confident as other finals when I got crushed. I think the result sort of showed. I think against Rafa, in particular, I donít want to say you donít believe 100%, but youíre kind of in doubt with your game. He takes advantage of that. Itís happened to me maybe a couple of times. But I think that happens to all of us a bit. When you come into playing one of the top guys who is on fire, youíre not playing exactly your perfect game, itís going to be tough to win. I mean, sure, you try, you do everything you can, but sometimes your game is not working the way it is. Maybe you are in the semis or the finals, but it doesnít mean youíre playing the best tennis of your life. The fire has always been there clearly. Iíve always enjoyed my matches with both guys. Particularly the rivalry with Rafa has been very special. I donít even know what to comment about it because I think itís normal that I have massive fire and power to play against those guys.

Q. Roger, can you talk about the US Open and how you approach it? Do you feel itís another opportunity this year or the final opportunity? What is your mindset going into it, winning it so many times?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, just a great feeling coming back to New York. Honestly, I liked it from day one. It was one of those tournaments I right away fell in love with. Just the buzz and energy over there. Sure, it was a bit overwhelming at first. I kind of always liked to play there. Difficult with the wind, humidity, the city behind it, the whole deal. Having to deal with that was quite interesting. Every time the US Open rolls around, Iím very, very excited. I donít feel itís my last chance, not at all. I see many more chances to come. Maybe itís the last Grand Slam of the season, fine. But still there are many more tournaments than just Grand Slams. I know Iíll be being measured very often just by my Grand Slam results, which is fortunate or unfortunate depending how you look at it. My game is in a good place right now and Iím excited to see how Iím going to do at the US Open.

Q. Asking you about Mardy Fish, itís taken him such a long time to get into this position. Did you always see him as a potential top-10 player? Are you surprised it took him so long?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I just think heís always been a very talented player. I think he has always shown that. I think what was lacking maybe was his physical ability. By maybe not being physically in the best shape he could have been for a few years, that maybe took him down mentally, too. I think heís been playing really well. Heís always had one of the most wonderful serves in the game. Heís been a very fluid ball-striker with good anticipation, which we just talked about before. I think that makes it a tough combination now. Heís mentally tough. Heís a dangerous player. He can play aggressively, take time away from players, which many players donít like to see. So for me that heís in the top 10, itís not a big surprise. I think for him obviously his next step is to try to do at the US Open, last 16, quarterfinals. But then again, it starts from scratch for everyone. You have to wait for the draw to come out. Hopefully youíre in the best shape possible for that time before the US Open. On that, heís still got two Masters 1000s coming up where he does usually play well at. I think heís always at his best in North America. Heís going to be a tough player to beat. Heís a good friend of mine. I always enjoy spending time with him. Itís nice to see him doing so well.

Q. Are you surprised he seems a little reluctant to take that top American role from Andy Roddick? Does that surprise you at all?

ROGER FEDERER: No, it doesnít surprise me. I think theyíre very good friends. Like you just said, because of Andy being up there for so long, he probably doesnít even feel it sounds right to be the No. 1 American. Thatís what it is. He deserves to be the No. 1 American right now. It is what it is. Itís written in black and white and he deserves it. Mardy and Andy know that. But they have a lot of respect for each other, and thatís a very good thing.

Q. Youíve won the US Open five times 2004 to 2008. Which of those tournaments stands out in your mind and why?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I guess the first one always kind of stands out just because of it being the first one. The finals were so incredible for me against Hewitt that I kind of look back on that one in a big way. I think actually the year I defended I think it was against Andre Agassi in the finals, I had to play him there. I thought he might retire if he won the US Open. There was a huge buzz before the match. I was the new world No. 1 who was almost unbeatable. He played a great match, got really close in the match, was able to come through. For me those two stand out a lot. All the other ones are very important to me, too. If I had to pick two, I would pick those two maybe.

Q. Roger, youíve had so many goals over the course of your career. What are some goals as you move forward? Youíre thinking about mixed doubles at the Olympics, the Olympics were a target of yours, thatís where you wanted to play until. What are your goals as you move forward then?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think first of all itís important to stay healthy and see how long the body allows me to play because the mind is there. I love my traveling. I have no problem. Thatís a good thing. I still think, because Iíve been so fortunate to be so successful, you just want to get back to those winning ways, get those feelings as many times as possible, trying to win all those tournaments that mean a lot to you, it almost doesnít matter which one it is. Iíll probably be picking the tournaments I like to play the most at this point because Iíve achieved so much. Thatís a very nice situation to be in. Itís important that I work hard, I practice well, I do all the right things. Olympics is obviously part of that. Weíll see how things go in the next years.

Q. How much attention will you be giving Davis Cup as something you might look to secure as well?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, also same thing. I just played a Davis Cup tie in Bern now. I go tie by tie at this point. Iím looking forward to seeing how Iím going to fit it in the schedule or not. Thatís still up in the air. I havenít decided about Australia yet. I hope I can do that in the next week or so and then go from there really.

Q. Roger, you spent four, five, almost six years as the No. 1 guy, everybody always chasing you. Youíre in a different place now. Have you gotten accustomed to that? Are you okay with it? Do you not mind approaching from a little bit behind two other guys? Is it something that still gets to you a bit?

ROGER FEDERER: No, no, no. I mean, itís what it is. Iím aware that Novak had to do something extremely special to get past me. Same thing for Rafa. I think we all had to do something very special to get past each other in the rankings. I think thatís a good thing. If someone wants to become world No. 1, 2, even 3 or 4 for that matter, you have to do something really good. Either youíre extremely consistent or extremely successful at the highest of level. You have to win a massive amount of tournaments. Iím at peace with myself because of it. Thereís nothing else I can do. I had my chances to do well or not. From that standpoint, Iím very laid back about the situation. Sure, Iíd love to be world No. 1 and not No. 3. I still think No. 3 is a good ranking. Itís not number I donít know what. Iím at peace with that. Do I approach the tournaments differently? Well, maybe a little bit obviously. I think when you win 90, 95% of your matches you go into a tournament slightly more confident. Other than that, thereís not a huge change because I know my abilities. I donít want to say Iím overconfident, but I also know what I can do and I also know, how do you say, my limits. Hopeful that allows me to play the best tennis I can each day.

Source:

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-08-03/7619.php
Old 08-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #1504
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #1505
country flag _Chaz

_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute_Chaz has a reputation beyond repute

From Christian Albrecht Barschel, 30 reasons why Roger Federer is the Greatest Of All Time:

http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland...en-ist/2525854
(German)

My translation:

Roger Federer is the GOAT because
1.) he won 16 Grand Slams
2.) he played 23 Grand Slam Finals
3.) he never retired during a match in his long career
4.) he holds the record for the longest winning streak on grass courts (65 wins)
5.) he holds the record for the longest winning streak on hardcourts (56 wins)
6.) he reached 23 GS semis in a row
7.) he reached 29 GS quarters in a row
8.) he is one of seven players who won every GS at least once
9.) he is the best ambassador for tennis you could imagine
10.) he is a 5-time ATP World Tour Champion
11.) he won the most prize money of all tennis players
12.) he was 237 weeks in a row on the top of the world ranking
13.) he won the 'Stefan Edberg Sportmanship Award' 6 times in a row
14.) his tennis looks so easy
15.) he is the only player to win 40 matches in a row at two slams (USO and Wimbledon)
16.) he was steadily in the top 10 since ten years
17.) he won 36 sets in GS matches in a row among without losing a set at the AO 2007
18.) he is a fair loser even after his most devastating losses
19.) he hit most aces during a GS final (50 at Wimbledon 2009)
20.) he brought tennis to a new level
21.) he won the voting for the 'ATP Fan Favourite' eight times in a row
22.) he was in the Wimbledon final seven times in a row
23.) he holds the record for winning consecutive finals (24 in a row)
24.) he won every GS tournament
25.) he is world class on any surface
25.) (yes, Mr Barschel wrote 25 twice ) he won at least one GS eight years in a row
26.) he is the only player to win 3 GS in 3 different years (AO, Wimbledon and USO in 2004, 2006, 2007)
27.) he won the Laureus Award as best sportsman four times in a row
28.) he won 26 matches in a row against top 10 opponents
29.) it's hard not to like him
30.) he simply is Roger Federer

I also like: Wawrinka | Tsonga | Dimitrov | Isner | Gulbis |

Warm regards: 6-3 6-0 / 6-3 6-4

Last edited by _Chaz : 08-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
_Chaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #1506
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

Celebrating more than Fed's birthday

By Kamakshi Tandon
Special to ESPN.com

TORONTO -- Roger Federer's list of accomplishments is among the most impressive and well-chronicled in sport -- 16 Grand Slams, 285 weeks at No. 1, 67 titles, $63,653,278 in prize money.

But for all that he has done on the court, it's perhaps his impact on the game off the court that bears the most celebrating as the great Swiss turns 30 -- and given his career, that may be the most impressive accomplishment of all.

Ask Federer what he wants to be known for, and he doesn't mention titles or victories. "I just hope I'm remembered as one of the good guys, fair, kind of an idol to kids, because that's what I needed to get started," he once reflected. "I don't know what it takes to be remembered for all these things. This will only be answered once my career is over."

He has also said, "I try to be good for the game, leave it better off than when I arrived, even though that's hard. I'm very thankful to the legends of the game who created this great platform for us."

Over the years, Federer's popularity with fans has become legendary -- a combination of his graceful game, record-breaking success and pleasant personality conveyed in three languages.
His popularity is not universal: His matter-of-fact statements are sometimes seen as arrogant, some object to his wardrobe choices and some simply get put off by the Mr. Perfect image. Yet there is a discernible "Federer effect" on ticket sales, TV ratings and Internet traffic. Although Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are fast catching up, they have yet to surpass the Swiss as they have in the rankings. The money has slowly followed the numbers -- despite being from a small country like Switzerland and playing a sport without strong geographical concentration, Forbes calculates he is now the world's most highly paid international athlete.

But to appreciate the true quality of what Federer has been to the sport requires looking not just between the lines or in the stands, but also in the locker room.

Federer came up during the era of Pete Sampras, when the very top players generally kept to themselves and rarely got involved in the running of the tour. Things have changed on both fronts, and Federer's role has been significant both collectively and individually. After establishing himself as No. 1 in 2004, and particularly after the retirement of elder statesman Andre Agassi in 2006, he embraced the role of ambassador. Rather like his game, he has managed to strike a rare balance between the spirit of the amateur days and the professionalism of the modern era and redefined what it means to be No. 1.

In 2007 and 2008, when major changes were proposed to the format of the men's tour and when the ATP became embroiled in a tournament lawsuit that threatened its future, the top players' joint focus on the running of the tour was notably high, and the top three -- Federer, Nadal and Djokovic -- were all serving on the player council for the first time.

In an interview during that tense and heated summer, former player council president Jonas Bjorkman offered an unsolicited comment about why. "I've never seen anything like it in the 18 years that I've been around," he said. "Full credit to Roger Federer. I've always said you couldn't ask for a better No. 1.

"He does so many things, and he is the one getting the guys to finally come together."

But day to day, it's smaller things that have had an influence. "I think Roger, and even his parents as well, are really nice people," Marion Bartoli said in an interview last month. "I saw him after my quarterfinal match at the French Open, and he congratulate me for my win and everything. He doesn't have to do it, and he still does it."

It seems like almost every player has a Federer story. Marsel Ilhan's surprise was evident when he saw Federer walking up and congratulating him for becoming the first Turkish man to win a match in a Grand Slam. Not everyone even knew that Ashley Harkleroad had undergone ovarian surgery a few years ago, but Federer did, and he asked her about after her health when she returned to tour. Sam Querrey received a note after falling through a glass table and suffering bad cuts to his leg. "It made my day. It was almost worth it," Querrey happily said. Nor is it just PR. Federer contacted Tiger Woods when Woods was plunged into scandal in 2009, a time when most celebrities would have wanted to avoid contact with the star golfer.

In turn, his fellow players have rewarded him with astonishing loyalty given the sport's competitive nature. The ATP's Stefan Edberg award, given annually to the player voted the fairest on the tour, has been won by Federer six times -- one more than Edberg himself. Once again, the sentiment is probably not universal, but still widespread. Bartoli cried when Federer lost the 2008 Wimbledon final to Nadal. In 2009, with Nadal out and Federer tottering toward an elusive French Open victory, Leander Paes said he would give up one of his Grand Slam doubles titles for Federer to win. When Federer did win, Tommy Haas, who was up two sets and had break point in the third set of their quarterfinal meeting, found he didn't mind losing so much. "When I watched him celebrate yesterday and saw all the historic moments and him now probably being the greatest ever, I don't really have any regrets," Haas said.

Perhaps more significantly, they have also followed suit. When James Blake ran into a netpost in Rome and was badly injured, he noted that the only player to send him a get-well message in hospital that week was Federer. When Milos Raonic fell and hurt his hip at Wimbledon this year, he got messages from Federer, Djokovic, Juan Martin del Potro and Tomas Berdych. "Everyone was very supportive, asking how I'm doing," Raonic said. "It makes it that much more enjoyable, when you compete against these guys, but they're also very supportive of you when you do get hurt."

The tone should not change any time soon. The warm-natured Nadal has carried on the role after ascending to No. 1, and the fun-loving Djokovic also enjoys a good relationship with the guys in the locker room and being in the spotlight. Nadal, Djokovic and Andy Murray were among the thirty players who wrote birthday messages to Federer in the latest issue of Swiss magazine Schweizer Illustrierte. "Keep inspiring all the world of sport," wrote Djokovic.

Federer plans to do just that, insisting that turning 30 does not signal a ride into the sunset. "I'd rather be 30 than 20, to be honest. To me it's a nice time," said the married father of two 2-year-old twin girls last week. "At that age, I was trying to win my first title. I had no idea how my career would turn out. Do you listen to your body more? Yes, you do. Are you more wise? Yes, you are. Are you more experienced? Yes. Do you have a thousand matches in your body? Yes, you do. You just go with what you have. The important thing is I work hard, I'm professional, I enjoy my time on tour, and I have that going for me. I'm very happy about that."

And so too is the sport.

Kamakshi Tandon is a freelance tennis writer for ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...derer-birthday
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #1507
country flag kissakiss

kissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond reputekissakiss has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for Sandie of rf.com for typing this article by Neil Harman on The Times.

Age shall not weary a Swiss maestro with every reason to love thirty

Neil Harman hails the 16-times grand-slam singles winner who believes his aura and enthusiasm will be undiminished as he moves into his fourth decade

It is just a number to him, although not, we suppose, like 16, his collection of grand-slam tournament singles victories, or 285, the number of weeks he has been the No. 1 player in the world, or another 30, the number of consecutive grand-slams from the 2004 Australian Open in which he was the No 1 or No 2 seed. For Roger Federer, this 30 is simply one he will acknowledge, then forget.

On Monday the extraordinary Swiss will be three decades old, preparing to play in the Masters event in Canada for the tenth time (he has twice been champion there, in 2004 and 2006) and is ever bit as enthused to pit his wits and wiles against the opposition as when he first entered the event in 2000, ranked No 38, and lost in the first round to Lleyton Hewitt.

Less than a year later he was to send Pete Sampras spinning out of Wimbledon in five sets in the fourth round, a tournament the master blaster was not to win again. Ten years on from then, Federer has long overhauled Sampras’s tally of 14 grand-slams and has so many further notable achievements that they fuse into a simple rendering of his unparalleled ability, grace and the recognition of his values and those of the sport that has been grateful to have him leading it in so many ways.

And he intends to continue to lead. This is not 30 and out. He is not done with winning yet – far from it. The records might show that the greats tend to slow when they pass this milestone, but Rod Laver won his second “grand-slam” of all four majors in a calendar year in 1969, the year he turned 31.

And Federer has remained remarkably fit, with only a couple of minor physical adversities, the stresses in his back and ankle and the mononucleosis he picked up in December 2007 that affected him through much of 2008, although in that year he won a grand-slam event, reached the final in two others and semi-finals of the fourth.

Federer is proud that, the aches and pains of any athlete apart, he has stayed so physically fresh for so long, testament to the work he has done, without fuss, over a number of years with his physical trainer, Pierre Paganinni, which is carried on through the year by his travelling physiotherapist, Stťphane Vivier.
Federer reached 23 consecutive grand-slam semi-finals until his defeat in the quarter-finals of the French Open last year, which is an astonishing record of sustained brilliance in five-set matches against such quality opposition.

There is a certain “when is he going to quit?” mentality that tends to stalk great sporting personalities when their first grey hairs sprout (there are none on The Fed, a far as I’ve noticed) and at which Federer – although he does not say it – is privately irked. Why should every defeat be a watershed moment?

Is it because we have come to admire and respect him so much that when he is not quite at his best, we wonder if it affects him as much as it does us? Novak Djokovic, the world No 1, Rafael Nadal, who has been No 1, and Andy Murray, who believes that he will be No 1, have come a very long way because they are who they are, but they have been dragged up even higher because the sport has been enhanced, and is growing still, because of what the Swiss has done for it.

One wonders what is the easier, coaching Federer or managing him. Tony Godsick, from IMG, the sports and media business, has been doing the latter for a long time and when he describes his man as “an incredible product to market”, there’s the truth. Have the companies he represents sold more watches, more chocolates, more rackets, more clothes, more banking services, more razors? Of course.

Godsick recalls when Mercedes stopped being the overall sponsor of the ATP World Tour, so he and Federer chose to do a deal with Mercedes-Benz in China. As a result it leapt from thirteenth in the largest automobile market in the world to third, and from that Federer has signed an individual global deal.

He loves the advances tennis has made, talking excitedly about the innovation that is Wimbledon’s Centre Court roof; the petal-shaped dome of the Qi Zhong Stadium in Shanghai; the expansion at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California, thanks to the investment of Larry Ellison, the billionaire chief executive of Oracle, the computer software company, and the developments in Cincinnati. It is not to say that they would not have happened without him, but in the desire to showcase tennis in the past decade, no one has derived more showcased hours than Federer.

The older you become, the better you have to prepare your schedule, but Federer talked this week of carrying on beyond the Olympic Games next year and preparations are in place for a tour to South America, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil and Chile, to places he has never visited but where the welcome will be as generous as it has been everywhere else.

It is part of Federer’s strength that he fits in everywhere, he relishes everywhere and, as such, he has been able to play brilliantly everywhere. He is not one of those who sits in his hotel room, lights turned down playing on an Xbox. He is out there with the people and when he walks into a restaurant, there is an excited buzz that perhaps no other sportsman can match. Federer is a man of endless fascination and elegance, who is greeted with reverential acknowledgement. And, let us not forget, he can still play exceedingly well.

“I’m not expecting Roger to say he’s winding down any time soon,” Godsick says. “He has planned his schedule meticulously for the months ahead. He may not play for ten more years, but four, five? That’s possible. He wondered why everyone wanted to interview him on his 30th birthday. It is just a day to him, like any other. Mirka [his wife] did throw a party and it was great to see him just being Roger. He still thinks of everybody else before he thinks of himself.”
kissakiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #1508
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #1509
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Roger Federer: The Road Ahead

DEUCE Magazine
by Robert Davis

Roger Federer, now 30, is convinced he can win his 17th major title.

At 30 years of age, Roger Federer's love for the sport has not dimmed. The great champion is convinced he can lift more major trophies.

At the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Roger Federer and Peter Lundgren are going at it in the hotel room. What is happening?

ďIt is about 12:30 and he is going on at 1 p.m.,Ē remembers Lundgren. ďI am telling him that we need to go and warm up for the match against Patrick Rafter and he says, ĎNo I donít want warm up.í And I said 'why not?' And he says, ĎBecause I donít want to.í And I am like, 'we need to warm up before the match, right?í And he says, ĎYes, but I want to warm up with you.í And then he jumps on top of me and we start wrestling. After three or four minutes he jumps off me and says, ĎSee, now I am ready.'Ē

That was 10 years ago, and today Roger Federer is wrestling something a little different - a legacy that is steeped with such high expectations that nothing short of winning every match he plays will satisfy the critics.

That Federer likes a challenge is a good thing, because there is plenty of that to go around these days. As Novak Djokovic tightens his grip on the top spot in tennis, those that know Federer best believe that the Swiss thrives on challenges.

ďOne of the great things about Roger is his big-picture perspective,Ē claims Federerís coach Paul Annacone. ďPeople may not realise just how competitive that the great ones tend to be. Rogerís competitive fire is still at the highest possible level. His steadfast ability to compete over such a long period of time is pretty impressive. Pete (Sampras) was like that.Ē

Federerís career could be set to a Shakespearean drama. His rise to prominence on the worldís stage did not come all at once, but rather in acts.

ďWe could see the potential, but his body was not ready yet,Ē remembers Lundgren of Federerís transition from juniors to professional. ďHis movement and endurance had to be improved. And during the point he had so many tools in the box, so many ways to win. It was like too many choices. He would make it complicated because he could do so many things. Then he beat Sampras (2003 Wimbledon) and it was like a new opening. Still it was a long way to winning a Slam.Ē

Actually, it was not too long. Two years to be exact.

ďWinning Wimbledon changed everything,Ē says Lundgren.

From 2004 until 2007, Roger Federer started climbing high into thin air. Here are his numbers; 74-6, 81-4, 92-5, and 76-9. Three hundred and twenty three wins out of 347 matches. An incredible 93 per cent win to loss percentage.

ďWhen he had this streak of making every single final, or 20 consecutive Grand Slam championship semi-finals it was shocking,Ē says former Wimbledon finalist MaliVai Washington. ďNo one in the history of tennis has done that. Agassi, Sampras, they had great runs and great years, but to reach the semi-finals of 20 consecutive majors is one of those records that will probably never be broken.Ē (Federer reached 23 successive major semi-finals).

Despite what it may seem at times, Federer is only human after all.

ďYou know, I think it is always the same for those guys at the very top,Ē says Annacone. ďThe expectations are so high, basically, they are pretty unrealistic. I mean to stay in Ďforeverí. That is sort of how the media works. It makes for provocative conversation and debate as careers change and other players come on the horizon. That is sort of nature of the beast kind of thing. I think Pete (Sampras) knew how to handle it, he just got tired of it. Everybody gets tired of speculative, negatively connotated questions. This is only human nature. However, Rogerís level of enthusiasm for playing tennis is not that of a normal 30 year old. He loves playing the game. I think his emotional freshness is way different.Ē

ďWhen you are a player at the top there is so much tension and expectation,Ē says Washington. ďYou want to perform well for your family, friends, fans and sponsors and there is just a lot going on around you at every tournament. And each player has to figure out how to perform with that. Roger and Pete have done that as about as well as anyone I have ever seen.Ē

This must seem a little like Groundhog Day for Federer. It was only a couple of years back that Rafael Nadal yanked the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking from the Swiss starís grasp and his demise was widely reported. We all know how Federer responded to that challenge. Will Federer ever dominate tennis again the way he did from 2004 to 2007? Most likely no. What is it inside of us that likes to build up and then tear down our sporting idols?

Federer does not grunt and he rarely groans. His sportsmanship and class are what people will remember most. Then there are the little things he does that mean so much to other people around the world.

In the champions' locker room at Wimbledon in June 2010, Federer has just finished a post-match press conference following his semi-final round loss to Tomas Berdych. Obviously, he is gutted. Upon entering the locker room he is handed an express mail letter. The letter reads:

ďDear Mr. Federer,
On behalf of the Tennis Federation of Cambodia, we would like to express our most heartfelt appreciation for the autographed shirt that you sent to us in support of Our Killing Fields To Tennis Courts program. Due to the genocide of the Khmer Rouge thirty-five years ago, life as we knew it in Cambodia stopped. Tennis was no exception. Our determination to be part of other tennis nations and have our kids enjoying the sport is our main objective. Just knowing that you thought of us gives our kids inspiration for the future.
With Great Respect and Appreciation,
Rithivet Tep, Secretary General, Tennis Federation of Cambodia."

Whether he wins or loses, Roger Federer is in demand. And all you need to do is sit through a few of his press conferences to observe how politely he answers each and every question.

ďIt is difficult to give you a number of requests per tournament, there are so many, but it is safe to say that Federer spends at least 30 minutes with the press after each match he plays, often close to one hour,Ē reports Nicola Arzani, ATP Senior Vice President, PR & Marketing. ďI am sure there is no other sportsman in the world who is doing as much as him. Obviously the three languages keep him longer.Ē

ďIn so many ways, Roger Federer has honoured the game,Ē claims coach Chuck Kriese. ďAnd in return the game has honoured him.Ē

Roger knows that wherever he goes and whatever he does everyone is watching. Even the players and coaches on the ATP World Tour keep tabs on each of his matches. And the locker room talk is not about his 16 Grand Slams so much as what shot he hit in practice or which match was special.

If Federer were a painter his Mona Lisa would be the match he played in the Tennis Masters Cup final at Shanghai in 2007 versus David Ferrer. It was a near perfect match.

ďThat match was the one of the best if not the best I have ever seen,Ē says one long-time veteran coach who prefers to remain anonymous. ďThat match just might have changed the way players play the game in regards to court positioning."

ďI remember the match very well. It was one of the best matches I have ever played,Ē Federer tells DEUCE. ďIt was at the end of the season, and to crown it when I had already had a wonderful season was really nice. I was able to hit backhands down the line whenever I wanted and move almost like I was gliding around the court. It was one of the great matches.

ďI hope I played some part in inspiring this generation or the one coming up now,Ē continues Federer. ďPete kind of started hitting huge second serves, and people did not think it was possible to hit 110 or 120 miles per hour second serves. And then Goran [Ivanisevic], [Richard] Krajicek, [Marc] Rosset and [Mark] Philippoussis started doing it. I hope that I was able to create something else as well. What, I donít know. That is up to others to judge.Ē

Just last year at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris-Bercy, Federer went to the canvas once more, granting all those present a brief glimpse of greatness in his match versus Jurgen Melzer. In less than 19 minutes, Federer was up five games to love.

ďSometimes when he gets going he is on another level of tennis,Ē says Joakim Nystrom, Melzerís coach. ďBut that first set at Bercy, he was in another stratosphere.Ē

Federer tells DEUCE, ďYou are always trying to prove to yourself that you can be the best tennis player you can be. I learned a lot since I started the game more seriously at the age of 14. The last 15 years have been an eye opener in every way of life. It has been fun being a part of the dream that I created of becoming a tennis player.Ē

The parity in menís tennis has never been stronger, still, only a handful of tennis players have won Grand Slams in the past eight years. What does Federer think about that?

ďI have my doubts sometimes what guys outside the Top 50 do with their schedules,Ē says Federer. ďI feel like sometimes it is important to prepare their schedule in such a way that they peak at the right tournaments. If you look around at the top players they know when they want to peak. And it does not always have to be a Grand Slam, it can be something personal like their hometown tournament. I sometimes miss that in the lower-ranked players. I donít think that they take enough weeks off. Because they feel that next week is the breakthrough week. Something is going happen.

"I know it is tricky for some because you've got to play when you get in, and I know that, but I am a big believer that you need to take breaks for recuperation, going on vacation, going away and putting the racquet in the closet and just lying on the beach trying to get inspired for when you come back and practise extremely hard when you come back. Then you can really play. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the tour is from January to November, so you can either always play or you can take rest and you can still play again. I think that, in the big scheme of things, that might be a bit of a twisted situation for many coaches and players at that level.Ē

For Federer, he has repeatedly said that he continues to enjoy playing as much now as ever.

ďWhat I find most amazing is that at this stage of his career he loves the game so much,Ē says Annacone. ďAnd to me that is paramount and when you enjoy the game so much it makes it easier to play. Roger is very, very clear and robust in his approach to tennis. He is very fresh and energetic.Ē

ďIf you asked Roger if he feels like he can win majors he would say 'yes',Ē suggests Washington. ďHe was in the final of Roland Garros this year. Yes, he has gotten older, but I think he is every bit as good as he was a couple of years ago.Ē

Sow does Federer handle disappointments?

ďI think one of the great things for guys like Roger, or great athletes who maintain a high level for a long period of time, is that they generally maintain a healthy perspective and Pete was great like this,Ē says Annacone. ďThey are very secure in who they are as players and people and I donít want to say that it makes it easier to accept, but it does make it easier to comprehend.Ē

ďMy attitude has changed a lot towards the matches as the years have gone by,Ē says Federer. ďThe love for the game has always been there. I would not change it for the world and I would do it all over again; I am very happy where I am at right now. I do take losses a bit easier, but that does not mean I did not try my best. What is nice about tennis is that you can play qualifying and can have the opportunity of winning the tournament even though it is tough, you do have a chance to win a tournament. The dream always looms.Ē

For the fans of Federer, the fact that he continues to be a threat at the majors is also a dream. And one that could very well come true soon.

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...r-Federer.aspx
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #1510
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #1511
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Roger article, it is a Djokovic article, but Roger IS mentioned in it.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44507486
Quote:
Wolf said that if Djokovic was with the right brand, he'd be a big seller.

"The guy speaks five languages," Wolf said. "He's articulate, he's funny, women love him. He's not Federer. But McEnroe wasn't Borg. We don't need another Federer. We're 'Federer'd' out. He's got the personality to make the needle move."
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #1512
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja12 View Post
Not a Roger article, it is a Djokovic article, but Roger IS mentioned in it.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44507486

ANd why do you think Federer fans would want to read that?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #1513
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #1514
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
ANd why do you think Federer fans would want to read that?
I do not think we would want to read it. I just wanted to show what is going on in the media nowadays and that the guy will endanger Roger, if I like it or not. More than Nadal.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #1515
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

okay back to some news on Rog

Fed Express ready to settle an old score with Hewitt

Linda Pearce September 16, 2011 .

ROGER FEDERER'S definition of disappointment is not the inability to convert two match points in his US Open semi-final against Novak Djokovic last week, which condemned the 16-time major winner to his first year without a grand slam title in the past nine. Pain, for Federer, was his famous 2003 Davis Cup failure against Lleyton Hewitt, having led by two sets and 5-2.

''I still believe it was one of my toughest losses I've ever had as a player,'' Federer said yesterday as he prepared for today's latest rematch with Hewitt, the champion pair's 26th career meeting and first in cup competition since that momentous fifth rubber in the world group semi-final at Melbourne Park.

''People might think Djokovic was tough, but it was nothing compared to the loss back in '03, just because I thought I should have won so bad, and today I'm not 22 years old any more, I'm 30, so I take losses much easier, but back then it was a very tough loss for me. But still, the atmosphere was incredible on Rod Laver Arena and it was a privilege to be part of such a great match and a great tie.''

Australia's first-year captain, Pat Rafter, said Federer and Hewitt share ''one of the greatest rivalries in tennis'', although the Swiss leads it emphatically, 17-8. Having won seven of the first nine contests, the earliest of the pair to mature was also the first to decline, and Hewitt's shock grasscourt win in the Halle final 15 months ago is his only success since.

Yet the mutual respect remains warm and genuine, shifting today to the lawns of the Royal Sydney Golf Club, where Hewitt and Federer will follow Bernard Tomic and world No.19 Stanislas Wawrinka's opening singles of the world group qualifying tie. Both 30-year-olds have also been named for tomorrow's doubles: Hewitt with Chris Guccione; Federer with Wawrinka, his 2008 Olympics gold medal partner.

Born six months apart, Hewitt and Federer's junior paths diverged in January 1998, when the 16-year-old South Australian's outrageous debut title as a wildcard at the Adelaide International fast-tracked him into the main draw at Melbourne Park, scuttling plans for a Hewitt-Federer partnership in the boys' doubles.

''Ever since then, we were trying to get to world No.1 at the same time and he was such a good teenager that was able to do that first, so I was trying to take stuff from Lleyton: his great fighting abilities, his stamina, his focus. I just knew I needed probably a bit more time and, hopefully, I would be as successful as Lleyton. I never thought I was going to be as successful as I am today but I've always enjoyed the challenge of playing against him, because our playing styles are pretty different.''

As are their current rankings (No.3 v No.199) and their durability. Through a combination of good luck and exceptional management, Federer has remained injury-free; Hewitt, though, has endured a string of (mostly) leg and foot injuries, able to play only two of the four slams among 18 matches this year.

His season is likely to end after this weekend, with rest the only treatment for his lingering toe problem. But just as Federer maintains the prospect of facing Hewitt again was part of his motivation for making the trip to Sydney so soon after the US Open, the Australian is also relishing the challenge of a best-of-five-set Davis Cup sequel to what he describes as ''one of my greatest wins ever, especially in this competition''.

Whatever else has been lost, the passion remains. ''[Playing Federer] is always what I've been working towards in terms of trying to get my game up to scratch and my body as close to 100 per cent right to take on one of the greats,'' Hewitt said. ''So, obviously, on grass he's an exceptional player and, at Wimbledon, the biggest tournament of the year, he's a six-time winner Ö Hopefully Bernie can get us off to a good start against Stan on the grass tomorrow and then I can go out there and take Rog on.''

Tomic, curiously, could recall little of his limp second-round thrashing from Marin Cilic at Flushing Meadows a fortnight ago, but the 18-year-old Wimbledon quarter-finalist is the future, this is his surface, and he loves a big occasion. Indeed, despite the long odds, Rafter declared his ''quiet confidence'' in his team's ability to eke out a return to the elite 16 next season for the first time since 2007.

Case for: the Australians have had an intense two-week preparation on the grasscourt they chose to neutralise Wawrinka - who is battling a leg injury - and play to their own strengths, before Federer's participation was certain. Against: their seasoned opponents have two players ranked in the top 19, including perhaps the greatest player the game has seen.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/f...#ixzz1Y2Fqc4wz
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote