Roger news and articles - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #136
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #137
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Article following his match against Karlovic:

http://www.internazionalibnlditalia....=EN&IDNews=471

FEDERER: “I WAS PRETTY MUCH CRUISING”
No2 seed Roger Federer was as relaxed in the interview room as he was on court after beating giant Croat Ivo Karlovic 6-4, 6-4 to get through to the last 16.

“I got off to a good start in both sets which is always good and kind of comforting against Ivo,” said the 2003 and 2006 Rome finalist. “He found his groove later on on his serve but I already had the break in the second, which is perfect. It was just important to be really solid on my serve. I had two close service games in the beginning. From then on, I was pretty much cruising. I can't judge this kind of kind of a match because it's not real tennis with Ivo because it's all about reaction. The next match will be a different type of clay-court test. This was more like a hard-court match - just hoping to get through. It's a real tough one to have as a first round.”

“The surface seemed fine,” continued Federer. “It’s tough to kind of maintain those courts with the rain. There's always the occasional bad bounce and you got to live with that. It doesn't help against such a big server I guess sometimes, because you're choosing the right side and then you have the right swing and then it bounces wrong and then you can't adjust anymore because it's just too difficult. The ground underneath is harder so there is less clay, because there seems like a concrete almost under it, and then you have the clay on top which makes it slippery. In Monaco or Hamburg, probably Madrid as well, you just have clay and surfaces that when they get wet you can dig in. Here it seems not possible and that's why if it's nice weather the ball can bounce really high. I think from the baseline, if you give yourself some room, don't half volley too much, it's as good as any courts out there right now.”

“For me, it was about to getting into the rhythm and making sure that I'm in good shape for my first round. Obviously my preparation was minimal for Monaco,” said Federer in reference to his recent marriage to former player and long-time girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec. “It's been like this a few years but the last few years I just was able to play finals over there. This year it wasn't enough, but that didn't matter. I just wanted to get out there and have some fun and play some tennis again in a match situation. It gave me information. I practiced really hard, so I feel better. It's important to have a good warm-up tomorrow before the match and to get a good rhythm, and then I can really judge my performance here in Rome.”

When asked his opinion as to why seeds Ferrer, Murray and Davydenko lost on Wednesday, Federer gave a detailed reply. “It’s still early in the clay court season for some. Masters Series are tough especially for the seeds like me today. I haven't played yet here. Some might think it's an unfair disadvantage for us to always have a bye. But at the same time, it's always difficult. Other guys are coming in with at least one match under their belt that they're ready to go. That's the danger. I guess everyone has a different sort of reason why they lost.”

“Davydenko is coming back from injuries, so he's looking to find his form,” Federer commented. “Ferrer had a rough week last week. He also struggled here last year losing to Stepanek before I lost to him. Maybe there is something with the surface he doesn't really like that much. Maybe it's a bit too fast after having maybe the slow clay last year. Murray was a great match. I thought Monaco played a great match. But the draws are tough here. I think on clay there's really a solid base of players who always make it hard for us, the seeds. So I'm happy he didn't get me today.”
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #138
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Roger thought Monaco played a great match? I hope he's just being kind.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #139
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Roger thought Monaco played a great match? I hope he's just being kind.
Guess it was better than saying Murray played like a passive fool at critical times in the match Thank heavens Roger saved my day - I was expecting "trouble" against Karlovic and what I saw was a Roger never in real danger of losing that match.

I'm going to admit though that I won't be sorry his match with Steps will be played probably when I'm travelling from the office tomorrow evening Its not that I don't have faith in him ... just that atm I'm not quite sure which Roger Federer is going to turn up on any given day. If the real one shows up, he'll win.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #140
country flag Swiss Mountain

Swiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rog is going to be well prepare for RG.
Last year nobody beleived he would reach the RG final.

Inside Tennis - March 23rd, 2010
Swiss Mountain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #141
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Guess it was better than saying Murray played like a passive fool at critical times in the match Thank heavens Roger saved my day - I was expecting "trouble" against Karlovic and what I saw was a Roger never in real danger of losing that match.

I'm going to admit though that I won't be sorry his match with Steps will be played probably when I'm travelling from the office tomorrow evening Its not that I don't have faith in him ... just that atm I'm not quite sure which Roger Federer is going to turn up on any given day. If the real one shows up, he'll win.
i know what u mean there was a time where we didn't even look at the draw and expected roger in every final!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #142
country flag xohxmyx

xohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond reputexohxmyx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
i know what u mean there was a time where we didn't even look at the draw and expected roger in every final!
lol those where the good old days! back then i barely bothered to really watch any match that wasnt a final because i knew roger would be there already
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in the locker room...Doing some bad things. I cannot tell you....JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO [champion]
Q:What sound do you hate? -A:When Maria Sharapova plays tennis-[JuanMonaco][♥]
I was thinking, ‘Lay down with him’, But if I do that, we’d never stand up.-[Delpo]
° Lindo.Tenis.Chicos← ← ← ← My tumblr blog...check it out, or dont whatever its your call...°
xohxmyx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #143
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #144
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
04-07 you could expect Roger in every final, because he made 90% of them.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #145
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan_2007 View Post
04-07 you could expect Roger in every final, because he made 90% of them.
I tried to keep reminding myself at the time how precious those years were and that they would end one day ... but I wasn't quite prepared for the way the losses started to come about... as in Roger getting mono. Having had that myself as an adult, I know how much it takes out of you and how the effects linger on. I was devastated when I learnt that was the illness he had because I wondered if he'd ever be the same player again. I have heartfelt sympathy for Mario Ancic too as he seems to have suffered much more from the effects of mono.

So now I try to tell myself that every Roger win is a bonus ... but what I really want is for him to get a Masters/Slam - not for me, but for him and what it would do to give him back that confidence to take on the world again.

Seems the "real" Roger turned up today - the match was played while I was still in the office (much to my surprise when I switched the livescores on) and I nearly had heart failure when I saw he got broken serving for the 1st set and didn't dare look again until it was 5-0 in the 2nd! I could then concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing!

But the low serve percentage worries me ... he won't keep getting away with that I fear.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #146
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

FEDERER: 'THIS YEAR WAS VERY DIFFERENT'

Despite avenging his 2008 defeat at the hands of Radek Stepanek with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1 win, No2 seed Roger Federer feels that he has yet to find his rhythm.

“I think maybe conditions were just a touch slower today than they were last year,” he said of his 2008 exit in two tie-breaks to the same opponent. “I think his serve worked really well against me last year, and I couldn't get a real proper read on it. This year was very different. I could read his first serve and his second serve was not a problem either. I didn't have a problem even to attack his second serve, whereas last year I was just trying to get the ball into play, and then obviously he was able to mix it up and make me doubt much more. This year I had the control from the baseline and he didn't have the opportunities like last year. I played well really when I had to, so I'm really happy with the performance today. Sure, when you walk on the court you still have the highlights from that (previous) match, but you try to give it another shot. It's a different match. I'm still always going to be the favorite against him. I just tried and get off to a good start and I did, which is perfect.”

“Today I definitely got some rhythm in, even though he's still a player who likes to take the rhythm away or tries to take the net away, maybe tries to keep the points short at times,” said Federer of the atypical, serve-and-volleying Stepanek. “It was still a good match for me. I had to counter his pace because he's trying to play hard and flat. I felt like I was hitting the ball well. Maybe from the movement side it's pretty slippery out there. I still have to find my footing just because I haven't had to do a lot of sort of defensive work yet.”

In the first set, Federer only managed to get 33% of his first serves over and was broken when serving for the set. “I tried to take some pace off my serve and use more spin plays,” he explained, “and because I was still leading and winning, I still had the opportunity to go after it. I didn't care how much how high my first serve percentage was, as long as I was winning. But it's definitely something I have to make sure I do better in the next match. Towards the end, I actually served well again, and also in practice actually before the match I was serving well. So it's just a matter of now make sure that it happens during the next match.”

Source: http://www.internazionalibnlditalia....ult.asp?LNG=EN
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #147
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer fires back by subduing Radek Stepanek

Neil Harman

To the strains of Vangelis’s emotive theme to Chariots of Fire, Roger Federer, whose wheels seem to be back on and rolling in a forward direction, was pictured with not one, but two trophies in the cauldron of the Foro Italico at the Rome Masters yesterday. What the Swiss would not give to lift the one that really matters on Sunday.

A lot of people may be deserting Federer. Articles suggesting he is all at sea are de rigueur, former champions have indicated that his game has more holes than a colander and the way it is going one expects to see Denise Robertson sitting beside him on the This Morning sofa, patting him on the knee and offering some homely Wearside thoughts on where he goes from here. But two important sections of the population have not yet given up on him just yet — his fellow players and his public.

The cut-glass prizes brandished yesterday were the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award, as voted by his fellow professional players, and the ATPWorldTour.com Fans’ Favourite honour. He has won both a record number of times — six for sportsmanship and seven from the fans. For all of Rafael Nadal’s remarkable recent feats, the world No 1 has not quite nudged Federer from his pedestal of universal popularity.

As nice as those awards are, they are not recompense for holding something gained through blood, sweat, toil and tears on the court (and there have been too many tears lately). Federer is two parts of the way to becoming the champion in the Italian capital for the first time and a conclusive 6-4, 6-1 dismissal of Radek Stepanek, the Czech who defeated him on the same piece of baked earth a year ago, was a satisfying means of reaching the quarter-finals.

Stepanek is a nuisance — all arms, legs, pirouettes and geeky gestures. One can imagine that many players have wanted to pin him to the locker-room wall for he is as aggravating as Ilie Nastase once was, but without the “nasty” streak. Federer knew that he had to prepare for the unlikely, not least those absurd net rushes behind snail’s-paced second serves. He coped admirably with all that Stepanek threw at him and dished out some pretty superlative shots of his own.

And so to the endless critiques of his form. He has won three quarters of his matches in the first four months of the year and reached the semi-finals or better in four of five tournaments, which would equate to “not too bad”. He said: “I have read these funny things when I’ve lost, that they know why I lost, which is sometimes completely wrong. So I started not to get carried away with it. Too many friends are telling me: ‘It’s going to be OK Roger, don’t worry.’ I’m like: ‘What’s the problem?’ There’s no problem. Even my friends start to believe it, so this is when I really know I shouldn’t peek at the papers.

“I guess it’s something that I have to get used to — a bit more press that’s just not always in my favour. For the last five, six years I’ve been playing so well and I’ve been so dominant there was really little to write about in a negative way.

“The important thing as a player is you know what’s going on. I’m very confident I know what’s wrong and I know what’s right. It’s important that I work hard and get back to my best play. I know I’m very close to it.”

Today comes a test he could not have been expecting. Mischa Zverev, a qualifier from Germany, defeated Gilles Simon, the No 8 seed, 6-4, 6-1, a performance that suggested that France is an awfully long way from finding a prospective men’s champion for Roland Garros.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6201830.ece
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #148
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
FEDERER: 'THIS YEAR WAS VERY DIFFERENT'

Despite avenging his 2008 defeat at the hands of Radek Stepanek with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1 win, No2 seed Roger Federer feels that he has yet to find his rhythm.

“I think maybe conditions were just a touch slower today than they were last year,” he said of his 2008 exit in two tie-breaks to the same opponent. “I think his serve worked really well against me last year, and I couldn't get a real proper read on it. This year was very different. I could read his first serve and his second serve was not a problem either. I didn't have a problem even to attack his second serve, whereas last year I was just trying to get the ball into play, and then obviously he was able to mix it up and make me doubt much more. This year I had the control from the baseline and he didn't have the opportunities like last year. I played well really when I had to, so I'm really happy with the performance today. Sure, when you walk on the court you still have the highlights from that (previous) match, but you try to give it another shot. It's a different match. I'm still always going to be the favorite against him. I just tried and get off to a good start and I did, which is perfect.”

“Today I definitely got some rhythm in, even though he's still a player who likes to take the rhythm away or tries to take the net away, maybe tries to keep the points short at times,” said Federer of the atypical, serve-and-volleying Stepanek. “It was still a good match for me. I had to counter his pace because he's trying to play hard and flat. I felt like I was hitting the ball well. Maybe from the movement side it's pretty slippery out there. I still have to find my footing just because I haven't had to do a lot of sort of defensive work yet.”

In the first set, Federer only managed to get 33% of his first serves over and was broken when serving for the set. “I tried to take some pace off my serve and use more spin plays,” he explained, “and because I was still leading and winning, I still had the opportunity to go after it. I didn't care how much how high my first serve percentage was, as long as I was winning. But it's definitely something I have to make sure I do better in the next match. Towards the end, I actually served well again, and also in practice actually before the match I was serving well. So it's just a matter of now make sure that it happens during the next match.”

Source: http://www.internazionalibnlditalia....ult.asp?LNG=EN
Why is he spinning his serves in?

Why is his first serve at 33% if he is spinning them in?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #149
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I tried to keep reminding myself at the time how precious those years were and that they would end one day ... but I wasn't quite prepared for the way the losses started to come about... as in Roger getting mono. Having had that myself as an adult, I know how much it takes out of you and how the effects linger on. I was devastated when I learnt that was the illness he had because I wondered if he'd ever be the same player again. I have heartfelt sympathy for Mario Ancic too as he seems to have suffered much more from the effects of mono.

So now I try to tell myself that every Roger win is a bonus ... but what I really want is for him to get a Masters/Slam - not for me, but for him and what it would do to give him back that confidence to take on the world again.

Seems the "real" Roger turned up today - the match was played while I was still in the office (much to my surprise when I switched the livescores on) and I nearly had heart failure when I saw he got broken serving for the 1st set and didn't dare look again until it was 5-0 in the 2nd! I could then concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing!

But the low serve percentage worries me ... he won't keep getting away with that I fear.
Well said Minnie. I feel exactly the same. As of now, every win is a good one.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #150
country flag SUKTUEN

April 29, 2009
Roger Federer
ROME, ITALY

R. FEDERER/I. Karlovic
6-4, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Good solid effort for you. Any complaints about that match? No problems?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, not really. I got off to a good start in both sets, which is always good, kind of comforting against Ivo. He found his groove later on on his serve, you know, but I already had the break in the second, which is perfect.
Yeah, it was just important to be really sold on my serve. I had two close service games in the beginning. From then on, I was pretty much cruising.

Q. Which is the biggest difference between this surface and Monte-Carlo?
ROGER FEDERER: The ground underneath is harder, so there is less clay, sort of, you know, because there is like -- seems like a concrete almost under it, and then you have the clay on top which makes a slippery.
In Monaco or Hamburg, probably Madrid as well, you just have sort of clay, and, you know, just surfaces that when they get wet you can dig in. Here it seems not possible.
That's why if it's nice weather the ball can bounce really high.

Q. Just a follow-up to that. How did you find the court today? Obviously it's taken quite a hammering over the last couple days.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, it's tough to kind of maintain those courts with the rain and everything. But the surface seemed fine, you know. There's always the occasional bad bounce, and you got to live with that. Doesn't help against such a big server I guess sometimes, because you're choosing the right side and then you have the right swing and then it bounces wrong and then you can't adjust anymore because it's just too difficult.
I think from the baseline, you know, if you give yourself some room, don't half-volley too much, it's as good as any courts out there right now.

Q. After a match like this that you finish so early, what are you doing now in Rome? What is your schedule in Rome today?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, not that early. But, no, I like to go to the city and have nice dinners usually. If I got a real chance, on an off-day maybe some sightseeing. I've seen the city a lot now over the years. I arrived late here on Sunday, so I didn't have that many opportunities.
For me, it was about to getting into the rhythm and making sure that I'm in good shape for my first round. Yesterday, unfortunately, it was raining, so there was not much we could do.
I like to have the occasional look into the stores here and go around and see some nice buildings again. You don't need to go, you know, that far. You see many nice places here anyway. It's really a nice city to be in.

Q. Are you feeling stronger maybe this week than perhaps you were at Monte-Carlo because of what you did last week?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, obviously my preparation was minimal, you know, for Monaco. It's been like this a few years, you know, but last few years I just was able to play finals over there. This year it wasn't enough, you know. Preparation was maybe too small.
But, I mean, that didn't matter. I just wanted to get out there and have some fun and play some tennis again in a match situation. It gave me information. I practiced really hard, so I feel better.
Like I said, I can't judge this kind of kind of a match because it's not real tennis with Ivo because it's all about reaction.
So I guess next match will be a different type of a clay court test. You know, this was more like a hardcourt match just hoping to get through. It's a real tough one to have as a first round, I think.
It's just important to have tomorrow before the match a good warm up and to get some good rhythm, and then I can really judge my performance here in Rome.

Q. It's just tennis, or do you think it's a specific reason why today Ferrer, Murray, Davydenko lost?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, still early in the clay court season, you know, for some. Masters Series are tough, you know, especially for the seeds like me today. I haven't played yet here. Some might think it's an unfair disadvantage for us to always have a bye.
But at the same time, it's always difficult. Other guys are coming in with at least one match under their belt that they're ready to go. That's the danger. I guess everyone has a different sort of reason why they lost.
Davydenko is coming back from injuries, so he's looking to find his form. I mean, that's pretty normal.
Ferrer had a rough week last week. You know, he also struggled here actually last year losing to Stepanek before I lost to him. Maybe there is something with the surface he doesn't really like that much. Maybe it's a bit too fast after having maybe the slow clay last year.
Murray was a great match. I thought Monaco played a great match. There you go. You got some reasons why they lost.
But the draws are tough here. I think on clay there's really a solid base of players who always make it hard for us, the seeds, you know. So I'm happy he didn't get me today.