Players' Comment on Roger - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
shaoyu

shaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Players' Comment on Roger

Hi, good to be here with Roger Fans ^_~
In view of Agassi's unstinting compliment at the 2003 Master Cup Houston, I would like to make a collection of players' comment on Roger. I'll try to put a few myself:

2001 Wimbledon Sampras Interview 07/02/2001: (excerpts)

Q. What emotions are playing out in your head now?
PETE SAMPRAS: Well, just very -- I'm very disappointed obviously. I lost to a really, really good player today. He played great. He's a great shot-maker. He won the big points.
I had my chances throughout the match, had a couple breakpoints there in the fifth. You know, he came up with some really good stuff at huge times. He played a great game to break me. I give him a lot of credit. He really played very well.

Q. As Centre Court debuts go, have you ever seen anyone quite so composed as that?
PETE SAMPRAS: Yeah, he was very relaxed. His demeanor on the court is pretty similar to mine. He's pretty relaxed. Goes out and plays. Doesn't get too emotional, too many highs and lows.
He's got a great backhand, serves well. He's definitely got a good all-around court game. Doesn't have any holes in his game. Great athlete. I mean, he really played really well.
You know, just getting off the court, I'm disappointed, I mean, obviously. You know, I had a few chances. I felt like I had it at 4-All. Hit a good return. You know, wasn't to be. You know, I came up a little bit short.

Q. You said against Cowan that you didn't think you were going to lose the match, even when it got to 2-2. Did you feel like you were in danger, down 2-1 today? That is a big difference?
PETE SAMPRAS: Two sets to one?

Q. Yes.
PETE SAMPRAS: Yeah, I mean, I let it slip a little bit in the third set, missed that overhead. You know, I felt like I had pretty good control of the match in the third. He came up with some good stuff. You know, down two sets to one, the way he was playing, I knew it was an uphill battle. But I played a really, really good tiebreaker. I tied it up and played really well.
The fifth set, you know, we were both playing pretty solid, and he got the break. I mean, he really made me play on that last service game. But I can only know I had my chance there at 4-All in the breakpoint - backhand there, kind of hit it back to him.
You know, it's tough out there. And he definitely has got a great future. I mean, he's already proven that he's a great player. He's got a good chance to maybe go all the way.

Q. There are other Roger Federers out there, as you well know. Jim Courier says they're coming out of the woodwork, young players with a lot of talent. For you, do you now redouble your efforts, work even harder, or do you sit down sometime after the emotions have passed and start considering what you want to do in the future?
PETE SAMPRAS: Well, sure, there are a lot of young guys coming up, and Roger is one of them. But I think he's a little extra special than some of the other guys. I mean, he's got a really good all-around court game. You know, all I can try to do is rebound from kind of a disappointing year and get ready for the summer. It's going to take me a while to get over this one.
But just keep trying to work hard, do the training, put in the practise hours on the court, and hopefully I can have a good summer. Maybe The Open can be a little bit better than here. It's disappointing. It's a tough, tough loss, you know, to deal with.

Q. A decade ago you had a match against Lendl at Flushing Meadows that you had your breakthrough on, similar round I think, too. Did this match have that kind of feel, but you were on the other end of it?
PETE SAMPRAS: I mean, not really. That match -- no. I mean, I really haven't thought about that. You know, I lost to a talented player that's a great shot-maker, similar to the way I was when I was younger, and still today. He's got a great grass court game. He's got all the tools.

Q. You hit with Roger before. When he beat our guys in the Davis Cup, did you ask Todd or Jan-Michael about him at all?
PETE SAMPRAS: I've seen Roger play. I've practised with him. I had a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do out there. You know, he's got a good all-around court game. Doesn't have any holes. It's a little different when you compete against him. His serve, I couldn't really get ahold of. His shots, he was on. You know, I've seen him play enough over the years to kind of know what to expect.

Now you guys' turn ^_~
shaoyu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Players' Comment on Roger

"He's doing everything great. He's a great mover, a
great striker of the ball off both sides. He's a factor from the back of the court and when he comes to the net," Agassi said. "His serve is very effective. He knows the game real well, knows court position."
-----

"I'd just like to congratulate Roger, not just for a great match today but great tennis all week. You deserve to win this tournament, and it's an inspiration to watch you move and play," Agassi said during the trophy presentation.
-----

"Everything needed to be right. That's really the only chance you have - if you're at your best," Agassi said. "Today he just took that away from me."

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

As Roddick put it after losing to Federer in the semifinals: "The guy has more natural flair and talent for the game than most -- I mean, than anybody really."
-----
"You kind of need to do a lot well," Roddick said. "He doesn't really have any big weaknesses."
----
my fave quote:

Q. How is Roger's level compared to when you played him at Wimbledon?

ANDY RODDICK: Pretty much the same. He kicked my ass then and he kicked my ass tonight.
So it was pretty similar (smiling).

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
shaoyu

shaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond reputeshaoyu has a reputation beyond repute

February 2003 Rotterdam
Sjeng Schalken after his lost to Federer:

Sjeng Schalken: "I am mad with myself. The last time I played Federer, I had a pretty good feeling. This time he beat me too convincingly. His tennis was amazing. When you take a look at the last seven matches of Federer, he's been playing beautiful tennis. He beats everyone and it doesn't cost him energy. He plays so easily. Federer at this moment is a superman."

"I had to work a lot harder than Federer during the match. I was very disappointed about my service games, especially, my send serve. But when the serve was good, Federer returned with high forehand strokes and short slice backhands."

"At this moment, in my opinion, Roger is the best indoor player in the world."
shaoyu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #5
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Not a surprise, Schalken seems to worship the ground Federer walks on more overtly than any other Top 20 player. Not that I mind given that those are my two favourite players, but he really is in awe of Fed at times - on the recent ATPTennis show they had soundbites from players about who was going to get no. 1 at the Masters Cup and he actually flat-out called himself a Federer fan. Still, why not with that head-to-head...

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:24 AM   #6
WyverN

WyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond repute

Not really the best attitude to be taking.........I am sure Schalken and Fed are going to play in some important matches and it wont really help Sjeng that he seems so scared of Fed
WyverN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Players' Comment on Roger

What really won't help Schalken is that he doesn't have nearly enough game to trouble Federer. They've played four times this year on three different surfaces and Federer has won 10 straight sets in all - in Miami, Schalken threw down his racket in frustration at one point because he was doing nothing wrong but was still being beaten handily.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #8
country flag wcr

wcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond reputewcr has a reputation beyond repute

Just logged on and noticed zero members active in this thread right now especially since there's between 35-50 people on the board. Well glad to find fans of Roger here. During YEC heard Cliff Drysdale and Mary Carillo trying to figure out who Federer plays like (how about himself?). Their conclusion was Rod Laver. Never watched Laver (before my time) but they likend RF to him because RL was equally strong with all shots ... not a single technical weakness to either man's game. A lot of folks seem discouraged when Roger doesn't play his Wimbledon/YEC level tennis every tournament. I don't have these expectations of RF at all. He's not Sampras, he's not Laver, he's Roger and I'm happy to watch him play at any level he choses. Just hope he's like playing the game a long time thus giving us a few years to watch some magical tennis.
wcr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Nice comments from Agassi, Sampras, Roddick and Schalken! And all of them true.

I still remember that 2001 win over Sampras. Such a tight match, and Roger was so happy afterwards!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:24 AM   #10
rogicomel

rogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, it's been a loooooooong time since I last logged in on the forums. It's good to be back. And to read those comments on the first day at work in the new year really brings smiles to my face. Rogi deserves the comments but I hope he'll remain as humble as he's always been.

ROGI BOLEH!!!!!!!!!
rogicomel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some more players comment taken from that article that I wrote up on general messages.

“Before I ever played him,” said James Blake, a Federer victim at the US Open, “I loved watching him play. His backhand is so smooth. And his demeanour on court is one of the best. He is very relaxed.”

Among the pros who reached for their hankies after the 22-year-old’s Wimbledon tour de force were none other than Kim Clijsters, the girlfriend of the guy who won it last year and no less a legend than Martina Navratilova. “The stuff he played in the last two matches,” raved Martina, “just phenomenal.”

“Obviously he is very talented. He can do everything.” Mused Philippoussis.

Marvelled the more effusive Roddick: “As far as talent goes, I don’t know if there’s anybody out there more talented.”

“Finally,” praised three-time champion Boris Becker, ‘you see a player with old grasscourt technique: he plays serve-and-volley tennis and plays the slice and doesn’t need the 140mph serve to succeed.

Doubles star Leander Paes observed:” He played flawless tennis, hit shots you saw Martina or McEnroe hit ... shots ahead of their time.”

“A phenomenally talented player,” Andre Agassi gushed before their round-robin encounter. “He has great firepower plus a great feel and flair for the game.”

This from Thomas Muster when asked about Federer. Do you think he’ll have success on clay?

Muster: If someone is playing well on hard courts and on grass, then they say, "Can he play well on clay?" If they play well on clay, they say, "Can he play well on hard courts."

He’s got great potential. He’s young. He’s going to have all the opportunities from a technical point of view. He could be a great player on all surfaces.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Another recent nice comment from Andy Roddick:

Asked about his "early" Wimbledon exit, he exclaimed: "Early - a semi-final? I assure you I will have a lot of earlier exits than that.

"I felt I was playing well enough to have won Wimbledon, but that doesn't mean you will. There are a lot of guys who are rivals, but Roger Federer has to be the most talented player on the planet."
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:22 AM   #13
rogicomel

rogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond reputerogicomel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MisterQ! Reading Roddick's comment really makes me smile...

ROGI BOLEH!!!!!!!!!
rogicomel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #14
WyverN

WyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond reputeWyverN has a reputation beyond repute

When ferrero was asked about his main threats to his RG crown next year he mentioned Coria and Federer.
WyverN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #15
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
Roddick's comments are always so entertaining
I tend to like him a little bit...
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote