The "RF" chat thread - Page 167 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #2491
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I agree, really frustrating

I speak English and some Italian (learning Italian yet), but here is a bit hard to practice.
Yep, very hard. What I like to do is listening foreign radios and read foreign sites when I'm surfing on internet. For spanish, Clarin, Ole, Marca. For english, NY times and BBC radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
German is a great language, and yes it's tricky, but I'd like to offer you some inspiration:

Der Blaue Engel - a classic of German cinema.

No time to watch the entire thing, well, just listen to this:

"...denn dann is meine Welt, und sonst gar nichts!..."
I already knew Marlene Dietrich, amazing music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Well, I haven't been out of the country for a decade, so I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I can't see that it's made much difference.
Wow, a decade? Too much time!
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #2492
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviopr View Post
Wow, a decade? Too much time!
Tell me about it . Still, it can't be helped.
alypen is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #2493
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been quite active since my last visit. Good to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Yes, it started off okay, but then became too complicated. Languages aren't my strong point so I stick to what I know I'm good at.
German grammar isn't easy, hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I was a much younger child back then. My father does work in the oil industry so he got to work in different places such as Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow & Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk during my lifetime and also other places including Den Haag & Aberdeen before I was born. So as a family we moved around together until I was about six, then my mother decided things couldn't work out anymore as they were. My older brother was about to start high school, so we needed to get back to England and settle down somewhere.
I see.

I guess as a child such a life can be exciting but on the other hand it's surely never easy to adjust to a new country several times.

Quote:
No TENT for you, eh Doris?
Exactly

Quote:
As for Wimbledon, Margo has been there a couple of times and even made it to the Centre Court and witnessed Roger a couple of times. She did have to join the queue for the entire night before though. Involving a tent and a lot of Schnapps. I also offered her an advice to get a few of those cheapo camping chairs to make life just a little easier while queue' ing last year.
You probably really get to know other tennis fans well whilst waiting over there together - and sharing some

Quote:
Ich kann nur ein bisschen aufs Deutsch reden, aber es geht besser mit ein bisschen Schnapps... Aber ich verstehe und lese es gut.
It's always helpful that you know a bit German when we communicate so that I can say a word in German when I don't know the English one

I still remember when we met for the first time in Hamburg that I brought a dictionary along which I never used then though

Meanwhile I talk to so many people in English at tournaments that it really became normal to me

Quote:
Pretty sure there are TONS of mistakes in that sentence.
No, just one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
But he won this year, no?
Yes, indeed. There's nothing better as seeing Roger winning a tournament and celebrate later on together with other fans
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2494
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm pretty set on going, so it's probably going to be Friday to Sunday, since I have classes Tuesday to Thursday. Is it easy to get tickets the day before a match? I don't think I want to buy tickets for Saturday and Sunday just in case he doesn't make it.
Last year they even sold standing tickets for people and I guess they will do the same again.

So even if you won't get a ticket for a seat you will most probably still get a ticket to watch the tennis from the railing.

Quote:
Yes it would be lovely to meet you and Karin in Rotterdam. I'm already getting excited thinking about it!!!
It's always great to get to know new fans

Did you get to meet a few fans in London at the O2 who you kept in contact with by the way?

Quote:
PeRFect tickets.
Don't know if they are still available, but one of the good things about the Rotterdam tournament is that even at top level, you have a good sight, and noone will refrain you from going down to get a better seat.
Well, I don't know if you can go down when Roger is playing because the hall was sold-out then whenever he played when I remember right

But I guess you will always be able to get a ticket at the box office.

Quote:
I've had tickets for Querrey v. someone, can't remember who, on Centre, right down near the court; Nadal v. Soderling on No. 1, again about 1st or 2nd row (plus the Olympics Swiss/Japan doubles I've mentioned elsewhere). And rubbish seat miles away from the action on No. 1 for someone else. It's totally random for returns, although I think they like to put people down the front because they don't want loads of empty seats showing on the cameras.
That means that you get very good tickets for the first rows then?

Quote:
School (had to do Latin for 2 years first, hence the crash-course in German) - uni - post-uni. And now I've gone and mislaid my German tennis magazines ...
I still have the German tennis magazines from the last years and could scan articles for you to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
oh sure, to my parents and other relatives. My grandma doesn't speak any English, so it's a necessity.
Does your Grandmother still live in Serbia or did she moved with the family to Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
Last year! I even got a picture with the great man himself after the Berdych match
Best week/ day of my life!!!!!!
Now that you mention it I guess you once wrote about it.

I can totally understand that it was a really special moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
LOL… me too!! Well, I’ve always loved the language and wanted to learn it. After taking Spanish my whole life, hearing Roger speak it made me even more curious about it. When I got to University I knew it was going to be my last chance to take a French class so I took 2 ˝ years. I love the language, country, culture, and people. And after I had taken a full year of it I could actually understand Roger’s speech at the French open when he won RG for the first time .
That trophy ceremony was really something else

Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #2495
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Default Re: The "We are singing ON EST LA ON EST LA" chat thread

Quote:
Roger will have an extra match in Sao Paulo in december 9th against ferrer, I think.
Unfortunately Ferrer is injured and won't be able to play.

Tommy Haas is going to replace the Spaniard.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2496
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
German grammar isn't easy, hmm?
Indeed. I never got to grips with it.

Quote:
I see.

I guess as a child such a life can be exciting but on the other hand it's surely never easy to adjust to a new country several times.
I only remember bits of it, but it was certainly exciting. Moving from place to place was cool, but obviously it can be hard to settle in. Little things that maybe are tough to notice annoyed me. Things like watching sub-cultural television, unfamiliar food, the weather etc.

I was talking to a friend on Friday night about this sort of thing, and I told her that wherever I've gone, I've always been late arriving. People have already made their friendships and it's difficult to become a part of their network.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #2497
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That means that you get very good tickets for the first rows then?
I think it depends on who (is crazy enough to?) leaves early ...

Quote:
I still have the German tennis magazines from the last years and could scan articles for you to read
That could be interesting ... mine date from way back, with pics of Boris Becker on the cover - when he was YOUNG :O
alypen is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #2498
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does your Grandmother still live in Serbia or did she moved with the family to Canada?
She's here. My maternal grandparents came over once we got the papers to stay for good. My grandpa died in 2003 and my grandma eventually got a smaller place in a seniors building. But she has dementia and is less and less capable of living alone. My mom or my aunt visit her every day to make sure she's eaten and stuff like that. It's quite sad. She's on a waiting list for a nursing home (there's space in private ones, but they are expensive, so we're waiting for a subsidized space).
Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #2499
country flag Panthera
A new Tennis fan...

Panthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately Ferrer is injured and won't be able to play.

Tommy Haas is going to replace the Spaniard.
Yeah, I heard about that. Hope Ferrer can get well very soon.
Panthera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #2500
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I heard about that. Hope Ferrer can get well very soon.
Yes, let's hope this is nothing serious. He's had a gruelling schedule, Valencia, Paris, WTF...and he's scheduled to play two tournaments ahead of the AO.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #2501
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
She's here. My maternal grandparents came over once we got the papers to stay for good. My grandpa died in 2003 and my grandma eventually got a smaller place in a seniors building. But she has dementia and is less and less capable of living alone. My mom or my aunt visit her every day to make sure she's eaten and stuff like that. It's quite sad. She's on a waiting list for a nursing home (there's space in private ones, but they are expensive, so we're waiting for a subsidized space).
Hope she can get in soon.

Quote:
That trophy ceremony was really something else

OMG.I love him

re: the Exho, Roger updated facebook and they made new hats

Quote:
Starting to pack for the Gillette Federer tour through South America and I was excited to receive these new Nike RF hats in the colors of Brazil, Argentina and Colombia....very cool!

I want the green one!
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #2502
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the off-topic but...
8 days... EIGHT DAYS!!!!
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #2503
country flag Oizo
The Best Player Ever

Oizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond reputeOizo has a reputation beyond repute

Doris, do you have the original pic of your avi?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #2504
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
8 days... EIGHT DAYS!!!!
That's not too long, is it? Getting really close now I hope you have the greatest time
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #2505
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

hi folks!

Quote:
It's always helpful that you know a bit German when we communicate so that I can say a word in German when I don't know the English one
It's rather funny as to know how much the Dutch language resembles the German language, but with some rather major differences... Still, I understand German well enough, so no bother searching for the English word at times!
It goes in reverse as well I guess.

As a classical music lover, I can only admire the depth and subtelty of the German language... it's awesome. Just check out Mozart's aria "Ach ich f"ull es, es ist verschwunden..." and you'll understand what I mean.
From Die Zauberfleute, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
8 days... EIGHT DAYS!!!!
I understood it correctly that it will be your *first ever occasion* to witness Roger play LIVE? Well, I can totally understand your excitement!

Do let us know about your experience, and don't feel too sad if Rodge happens up losing the exho match... after all, it's just an exho.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 12-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote