The "RF" chat thread - Page 166 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #2476
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
German is a tricky language to learn. I gave up after a few years of trying.
Me too. I try for 3 years!!!! But it's difficult to practice outside the classes.

For you, european guys, it's so easy to learn foreign languages. So many countries and languages in a couple of hours of distance.

Last edited by saviopr : 11-27-2012 at 12:36 PM.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #2477
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviopr View Post
Me too. I try for 3 years!!!! But it's difficult to practice outside the classes.

For you, european guys, it's so easy to learn foreign languages. So many countries and languages in a couple of hours of distance.
Indeed, we are at an advantage, but most of us don't utilise it.

I definitely won't rule out coming back to learning the language. I never know where life might take me next.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #2478
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
It's okay when I'm with my family. Sometimes around new people I get nervous and can't think of the word I want. Reading and writing it is certainly an added challenge.
Peeked into that thread once, but I don't have time for yet another chat thread. One thing I noticed; they sure don't like Novak.
lol. That's really cool you can speak it. Have you ever been there before?

Quote:
Yeah, so jealous!
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #2479
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Indeed, we are at an advantage, but most of us don't utilise it.

I definitely won't rule out coming back to learning the language. I never know where life might take me next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post

Yeah, so jealous!
A kind of, I need to travel at least 6 hours by plane to speak another language, it's frustrating.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #2480
country flag Panthera
A new Tennis fan...

Panthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A kind of, I need to travel at least 6 hours by plane to speak another language, it's frustrating.

I agree, really frustrating

I speak English and some Italian (learning Italian yet), but here is a bit hard to practice.
Panthera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #2481
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I haven't been out of the country for a decade, so I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I can't see that it's made much difference.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #2482
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Latin's a good thing to study. I was hopeless at it, didn't really get the best of results in it, but I'm thankful for the skills it taught me, and the background behind the language that I became very interested in.

Nobody in my family is a good linguist, though. My brother was probably more hopeless than myself.
It helped me along a lot, and found myself a much better understanding of foreign languages than I ever hoped for. I am perfectly capable of reading Spanish, Italian, well, all of Romanic languages thanks to my struggles of having to learn Latin at the age of 16, decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
And not the sexy exotic knockout from overseas?
Not at all, Sean, not at all.
I rather resemble Arya Stark, not only in mind, but in appearance just as much.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #2483
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
It helped me along a lot, and found myself a much better understanding of foreign languages than I ever hoped for. I am perfectly capable of reading Spanish, Italian, well, all of Romanic languages thanks to my struggles of having to learn Latin at the age of 16, decades ago.
Obviously aside from the linguistic uses (with me being hopeless at languages), every so often, I use the knowledge that I picked up from learning Latin in just about anything. It was a pleasant experience doing it, not a hard laborious subject like some are. Just wish I could have done better in it!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #2484
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
German is a tricky language to learn. I gave up after a few years of trying.
German is a great language, and yes it's tricky, but I'd like to offer you some inspiration:

Der Blaue Engel - a classic of German cinema.

No time to watch the entire thing, well, just listen to this:

"...denn dann is meine Welt, und sonst gar nichts!..."

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-29-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #2485
country flag The Prince

Quote:
German is a great language, and yes it's tricky, but I'd like to offer you some inspiration:

Der Blaue Engel - a classic of German cinema.

No time to watch the entire thing, well, just listen to this:

"...denn dann is meine Welt, und sonst gar nichts!..."
Haha, thank you. I will watch them tomorrow when my mind is clear of worry.

I do try and listen to foreign music and watch foreign films to improve, but I already can tell that to learn a language, I'd have to be completely dedicated, and I don't have the time, considering I'm studying a lot of other time-consuming things right now.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #2486
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Haha, thank you. I will watch them tomorrow when my mind is clear of worry.

Quote:
I do try and listen to foreign music and watch foreign films to improve, but I already can tell that to learn a language, I'd have to be completely dedicated, and I don't have the time, considering I'm studying a lot of other time-consuming things right now.
Very understandable!
I've been watching a lot of fantastic Danish crime series lately, and I don't understand a word of which is spoken there (though I try) - the best of them being Forbrydelsen, aka The Killing.
Even if I don't understand any word of it, it's fantastic!

Anathema

Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #2487
country flag The Prince

Quote:
I often tell other people off for worrying too much! I am prone to it myself, though.

Quote:
Very understandable!
I've been watching a lot of fantastic Danish crime series lately, and I don't understand a word of which is spoken there (though I try) - the best of them being Forbrydelsen, aka The Killing.
Even if I don't understand any word of it, it's fantastic!
I've heard a lot of good things about it, some people I know were absolutely raving about it, not least my dad, who loved it. It's apparently far better than the American version, which is always likely (The Office, anyone?).
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #2488
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
lol. That's really cool you can speak it. Have you ever been there before?
yeah I was born there! Came over for a few years, went back for a year to settle the immigration issues and came back here when I was 10.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #2489
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
yeah I was born there! Came over for a few years, went back for a year to settle the immigration issues and came back here when I was 10.
oh ,sorry I should've read more closely in the thread . I hope I can visit Serbia and more countries Eastern Europe someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Well, I haven't been out of the country for a decade, so I'm pretty much in the same boat, but I can't see that it's made much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I agree, really frustrating

I speak English and some Italian (learning Italian yet), but here is a bit hard to practice.
Panthera, how are you learning? In school? Classes?

also what did you think of Roger's Portuguese accent in the recent gillete vid, was it any good?
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #2490
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I rather resemble Arya Stark, not only in mind, but in appearance just as much.
Well, that's just perfect for me then.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote