The "RF" chat thread - Page 165 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #2461
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I'm sorry. Your situation sounds ten times worse, to be fair. Having to travel around until twelve years of age and switching languages.
Ah no problem. At least I learned some rather proper English over there in London, well at the Cheam Common Junior School in Worcesterpark, to be exact.
Quite a bit of French too, in Toulon. As a young kid, you have a massive advantage in learning foreign languages - and never will that knowledge ever hurt you in the future.

Quote:
A Game Of Thrones!

Shit man, great series, great books! Lord of the Rings for ADULTS!!!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #2462
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Ah no problem. At least I learned some rather proper English over there in London, well at the Cheam Common Junior School in Worcesterpark, to be exact.
Quite a bit of French too, in Toulon. As a young kid, you have a massive advantage in learning foreign languages - and never will that knowledge ever hurt you in the future.
My cousins, aunt and uncle live over near that area in South London.

Yes, they always say that if one wants to learn something, be it a musical instrument, a sport, a language, or something ekse, they should do it while they're young because that's when things sink in more easily.

I am very talentless in languages, though. However I am proud of the one language I do know, and know it superbly well I do.

Quote:

I'm working my way through the novels right now, and then I will watch the TV show.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #2463
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
My cousins, aunt and uncle live over near that area in South London.

Yes, they always say that if one wants to learn something, be it a musical instrument, a sport, a language, or something ekse, they should do it while they're young because that's when things sink in more easily.

I am very talentless in languages, though. However I am proud of the one language I do know, and know it superbly well I do.
- yeah I can relate to that. I can only LAUGH at the many folks who think they speak English pretty well, while it's in fact terrible... most of all the Dutch politicians .

I've studied classic Latin and Greek in grammar school, and however much folks say that those languages are extinct and as such, are of "no use", I think they helped me about learning grammatical structures a lot.
I encounter no reading problems in Spanish, Italian, and even Greek, from that knowledge, so I think grammar school does have its advantages.

Quote:
I'm working my way through the novels right now, and then I will watch the TV show.
I only watched the TV show of the first part of the novels, and it's awesome!!! and it prompted me to read all of it.
I haven't found myself disappointed so far. (NB: this is an understatement. )

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-24-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #2464
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
l: - yeah I can relate to that. I can only LAUGH at the many folks who think they speak English pretty well, while it's in fact terrible... most of all the Dutch politicians .
Well, at least they are attempting a second language, unlike myself who sticks to English and only English.

Quote:
I only watched the TV show of the first part of the novels, and it's awesome!!! and it prompted me to read all of it. I haven't found myself disappointed so far. (NB: this is an understatement. )
Well, I've incentivised the job of reading the books by treating myself to the TV show afterwards.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #2465
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Thanks for the info

What was the best ticket you got that way? (For which row?)
I've had tickets for Querrey v. someone, can't remember who, on Centre, right down near the court; Nadal v. Soderling on No. 1, again about 1st or 2nd row (plus the Olympics Swiss/Japan doubles I've mentioned elsewhere). And rubbish seat miles away from the action on No. 1 for someone else. It's totally random for returns, although I think they like to put people down the front because they don't want loads of empty seats showing on the cameras.

Quote:
Wie bist Du denn dazu gekommen Deutsch zu lernen?
School (had to do Latin for 2 years first, hence the crash-course in German) - uni - post-uni. And now I've gone and mislaid my German tennis magazines ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Also, did you manage to get tickets to watch Roger when you queued for them?
I could have done. I chose Nadal instead (I had my reasons ). I suppose it depends on what the schedule is, and the weather forecast. You won't get returns for the first match on, but if someone's scheduled for third, or even possibly second, match you may have a better chance. That's assuming the weather doesn't throw a spanner in the works ...

Quote:
That's the main problem I think...
An additional problem is that over 40 years of age, you do not have much choice but to do what I am doing right now in my country.
Yeah, same over here. Tell me about it ...
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #2466
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've studied classic Latin and Greek in grammar school, and however much folks say that those languages are extinct and as such, are of "no use", I think they helped me about learning grammatical structures a lot.
They do, they definitely do. (Most of everything I've learned about grammar has been through the foreign languages, not English). Plus it helps you to break words down and see what they mean if you understand the Latin (or Greek) root.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #2467
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the main problem I think...
An additional problem is that over 40 years of age, you do not have much choice but to do what I am doing right now in my country. Ageism is RAMPANT over here.

Criminal law got me my best marks during law school, but to no avail. So I felt forced to get my dosh otherwise.
Aren't most partners over the age of 40? I never knew age could be a problem for lawyers. Isn't it more logical to hire someone older for his/her experience?

Did you practise criminal law? That was the only thing I enjoyed about practice. But hard to make a living off it exclusively; many of the clients can't pay.

Quote:
PeRFect tickets.
Don't know if they are still available, but one of the good things about the Rotterdam tournament is that even at top level, you have a good sight, and noone will refrain you from going down to get a better seat.

If you want me to make some further inquiries, do let me know, as far as I know, tickets are still available. Would love to meet you in Rotterdam, Trippy!
I would love to meet you too! Definitely tickets to Friday and preferably lower as I want the best view of Roger as I can get. I don't know if I should get tickets to Sat and Sun...do they do resale like the WTF? Like, can I get a ticket the day before the match? I'm trying to be careful about my finances. Really spent a lot on WTF.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #2468
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Yeah, same over here. Tell me about it ...
You cannot tell me how much it infuriates me, even more... as if everyone who's over 40 years old is on crutches and suffers dementia.

Anathema

Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #2469
country flag alypen

Trouble is, after all those years of salary increases we cost more than someone younger. Still, I can't totally complain - it did get me a good payoff, but I'd rather have the job.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #2470
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Aren't most partners over the age of 40? I never knew age could be a problem for lawyers. Isn't it more logical to hire someone older for his/her experience?
PARTNERS are. Problem is, I graduated for my LLM when I was... 41.
"Hey Oldie, you should have been a partner by now!"

After I started at the course at age 37. In other words, a lot quicker than the average 20-someone does, but to no avail.

Quote:
I would love to meet you too! Definitely tickets to Friday and preferably lower as I want the best view of Roger as I can get. I don't know if I should get tickets to Sat and Sun...do they do resale like the WTF? Like, can I get a ticket the day before the match? I'm trying to be careful about my finances. Really spent a lot on WTF.
Well I'd love to meet you in Rotterdam, and I'm pretty sure Doris does as well!

Getting a ticket before the day of the match will depend on whatever a big shot is playing so it's hard to tell - if you want to be sure of getting tickets to a certain match/day, you'll have to get them in advance I think.
If you want any help in getting the tickets you want - PM me. , I'll try the best I can.

Anathema

Old 11-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #2471
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's some time ago.
Do you still speak in your mother language with them from occasionally?
oh sure, to my parents and other relatives. My grandma doesn't speak any English, so it's a necessity.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #2472
country flag The Prince

Quote:
I encounter no reading problems in Spanish, Italian, and even Greek, from that knowledge, so I think grammar school does have its advantages.
Latin's a good thing to study. I was hopeless at it, didn't really get the best of results in it, but I'm thankful for the skills it taught me, and the background behind the language that I became very interested in.

Nobody in my family is a good linguist, though. My brother was probably more hopeless than myself.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #2473
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the info

When did you went to Paris Bercy?
Last year! I even got a picture with the great man himself after the Berdych match
Best week/ day of my life!!!!!!

Quote:
I have to confess that Roger's French interviews were one of the reasons why I started to learn French again at the evening classes a few years ago.
I already learned French for 4 years at school but that was long ago
LOL… me too!! Well, I’ve always loved the language and wanted to learn it. After taking Spanish my whole life, hearing Roger speak it made me even more curious about it. When I got to University I knew it was going to be my last chance to take a French class so I took 2 ˝ years. I love the language, country, culture, and people. And after I had taken a full year of it I could actually understand Roger’s speech at the French open when he won RG for the first time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
oh sure, to my parents and other relatives. My grandma doesn't speak any English, so it's a necessity.
How good is your Serbian? I stumbled into the Serbian chat thread on RF.COM and found it fascinating.

Quote:

Well, if it's just ONE night...

...but I hate being unshowered and dirty.
Do it!!

It will be worth it. If you are living there, how far away is Wimbledon from your place and how long would it take you to get there?

Quote:
have you seen this spoof yet? and is it true?
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #2474
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I appeared to be the 'queer girl' - not unlike Arya
And not the sexy exotic knockout from overseas?

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #2475
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
How good is your Serbian? I stumbled into the Serbian chat thread on RF.COM and found it fascinating.
It's okay when I'm with my family. Sometimes around new people I get nervous and can't think of the word I want. Reading and writing it is certainly an added challenge.

Peeked into that thread once, but I don't have time for yet another chat thread. One thing I noticed; they sure don't like Novak.