The "RF" chat thread - Page 164 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #2446
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
You can get tickets to Wimby (or at least ground entry) simply by turning up on the day. I usually get there by 8.30 and have never had any trouble getting in yet. If you want, you can spend all day in the returned-tickets queue to get a ticket for Centre Court or Court No. 1 - you'd be surprised how early some people leave :-). The bottom-price WTF tickets are the same price as Wimbledon ground entry - I know which I'd rather have.
Thanks for the info

What was the best ticket you got that way? (For which row?)

Quote:
As for staying in London, if you go somewhere outside central London (say Croydon, because it's right on the tram link to Wimby) you should be able to get somewhere cheap like a Travelodge for £19 and upwards per night ... Not that you'd want to spend any more time than you have to in a Travelodge, but at least they're cheap - my family have done it in the past when visiting me.

Thanks for the recommendation

When you go to a tournament you are busy the whole day anyway so you only go to the hotel for getting sleep and breakfast.

I could never share a place in a dorm though as I would probably not get any sleep there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
78 initially for a few years; and then 1983 for good.
That's some time ago.
Do you still speak in your mother language with them from occasionally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
I know, he'd be an epic GM troll poster. Hope he never gets the idea to make an account here. It'd be so embarrassing; but at least it'd be brief -- the permaban would be swift!
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
And have no access to a clean toilet and shower? And no bed?!?!?! I am too much of a princess for that.

...then again, it is for Roger...

Hmm...
Even Roger can't get me into camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
the girl I met at Bercy says she rents a hotel room for showers and stuff but for me that seems like a waste, unless you split it with a group.
When did you went to Paris Bercy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
I've only been camping twice in my whole life and it was okay. I don't own a tent but will ask one of my friends to borrow one. I think it would be worth it for sure and so much fun .
I've never camped in my life yet and don't intend to do so

One of my colleagues at work says before she retires from work we have to go camping together - I replied that I would need to have a whole month off vacation then afterwards

Quote:
You know German? I love Roger, but not to the extent that I'd learn German just to read QfT.
I have to confess that Roger's French interviews were one of the reasons why I started to learn French again at the evening classes a few years ago.
I already learned French for 4 years at school but that was long ago

I gave up with French again then though as the grammar really killed me.
Of course now I meet a lot of French speaking people and I'm struggling to communicate with them.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #2447
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Omg I think there's a chance I could go to Rotterdam. Need to skip some classes though...but I have a 4 day weekend so it could be doable.
Quote:

I REALLY want to go though, after considering it. Probably can only go Friday - Sunday, assuming he makes it that far. He should, right?

Doris, what sessions did you buy?
Well, if he doesn't have a match like the one against Davydenko in the SF this year in one of his earlier rounds he will hopefully go far but of course you never know what happens in tennis

Karin bought tickets for us for the whole week again

It would be really nice to meet you in Rotterdam if you get the chance to visit the tournament

Quote:

The only German words I know are 'danke', 'auf wiedersehen', and 'Federer'.
There's enough time to learn some more before your next meeting with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
German is a tricky language to learn. I gave up after a few years of trying.
Did you learn it at school?

It's always difficult to learn a language when you don't get the chance to practice it in your daily life.

That was always my main problem with French.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2448
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrf11 View Post
Hi all. I have to share what a dream I had some nights ago.
I'm still involved in it and ho nice it was

I was playing the doubles in a tournament in the tennis-club.
So I had to change my partner - I don't remember the reason.
So I had that new one and I wasn't yet concious of who he was but we were in the court and we had to decide who where receives and who serves as 1st. So I turn back and I see Roger but in my dream or he wasn't the GOAT or I wasn't concious of it. But he seemed to be more a my level player that I as good as he is He wasn't able to decide who to serve and I remember I was telling him that we have to serve one time he and one time me and that it was better him to start because as a man he had few possibilities to be broken even he played not so bad tennis as his tactical ideas
Of all this I have only a flash and not a clear image. Just the idea of what happened

After I remember I was at the net and he at the baseline.

In that part of the dream he seemed so real as he all was reality When sometimes I turned back to see what was he doing (all about the game) I noticed (I didn't know it yet in the dream ) how handsome he was and all his charm was amazing me. So I knew I had to focus more on the match and not on him but his presence was instigating and terminating me

Unfortunately than I woke up and all finished but whit this nice sensation. I still continue thinking of it smiling
So Roger is even chasing you into your dreams Luna?

Quote:
I lived in Russia for a while, but didn't pick up that much of the language at all. It is a rotten language to learn and much worse than German. But the latter is tricky to get the hang of, and you're right, the verb is always at the end, no matter how long the sentence is!
Why did you go to Russia and where exactly did you live?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #2449
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Quote:
Well, hand on heart, I'd have to say my learning it had nothing to do with him
(for a start, he hadn't quite been born ...)
Wie bist Du denn dazu gekommen Deutsch zu lernen?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #2450
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Did you learn it at school?

It's always difficult to learn a language when you don't get the chance to practice it in your daily life.

Yes, it started off okay, but then became too complicated. Languages aren't my strong point so I stick to what I know I'm good at.

Quote:
Why did you go to Russia and where exactly did you live?
I was a much younger child back then. My father does work in the oil industry so he got to work in different places such as Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow & Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk during my lifetime and also other places including Den Haag & Aberdeen before I was born. So as a family we moved around together until I was about six, then my mother decided things couldn't work out anymore as they were. My older brother was about to start high school, so we needed to get back to England and settle down somewhere.

So in Russia, I had experiences of Moscow, and also Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk which is on the island to the east of mainland Russia. It wasn't pleasant, though.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #2451
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, dear folks!

Just a slight popping into the hellhole that is MTF nowadays again.
Well this part of the forum isn't that bad...

Quote:
What's a freelance lawyer? Do you work pro bono? Or do you not belong to any law firm in particular?
The latter. I do low-key lawyer's stuff, like helping people to get their social security's benefits, help 'em out with (local) taxes (even if I did make a mess of my own this year ), consumer's rights when buying a washing machine that breaks down in six months' time, and the like.
'Klein Bier' as we call it in my country.

Quote:
Omg I think there's a chance I could go to Rotterdam. Need to skip some classes though...but I have a 4 day weekend so it could be doable.
Well, sure give it a try! I'd really like to meet you there.
Apart from the tennis, Rotterdam is quite an interesting place to be... and I now know the way to get autographs from Rog over there.

Quote:
Thanks for the info
When you go to a tournament you are busy the whole day anyway so you only go to the hotel for getting sleep and breakfast.

I could never share a place in a dorm though as I would probably not get any sleep there
No TENT for you, eh Doris?
As for Wimbledon, Margo has been there a couple of times and even made it to the Centre Court and witnessed Roger a couple of times. She did have to join the queue for the entire night before though. Involving a tent and a lot of Schnapps. I also offered her an advice to get a few of those cheapo camping chairs to make life just a little easier while queue' ing last year.

Quote:
Well, if he doesn't have a match like the one against Davydenko in the SF this year in one of his earlier rounds he will hopefully go far but of course you never know what happens in tennis

It would be really nice to meet you in Rotterdam if you get the chance to visit the tournament

Quote:
Wie bist Du denn dazu gekommen Deutsch zu lernen?
Ich kann nur ein bisschen aufs Deutsch reden, aber es geht besser mit ein bisschen Schnapps... Aber ich verstehe und lese es gut.

Pretty sure there are TONS of mistakes in that sentence.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-24-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #2452
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was a much younger child back then. My father does work in the oil industry so he got to work in different places such as Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow & Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk during my lifetime and also other places including Den Haag & Aberdeen before I was born. So as a family we moved around together until I was about six, then my mother decided things couldn't work out anymore as they were. My older brother was about to start high school, so we needed to get back to England and settle down somewhere.

So in Russia, I had experiences of Moscow, and also Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk which is on the island to the east of mainland Russia. It wasn't pleasant, though.
Interesting, your youth resembles a lot of mine - my dad was an oil company-expatriate as well.
Even more, my mom also decided that after London, Yokohama/Nagasaki, Kuala Lumpur, Toulon/Marseille, Singapore, Madagascar, and -whereeverelsemydadendedup - it was enough at the time I turned 12 years old...

Anathema

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #2453
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Interesting, your youth resembles a lot of mine - my dad was an oil company-expatriate as well.
Even more, my mom also decided that after London, Yokohama, Kuala Lumpur, Toulon, Singapore, Madagascar, and -whereeverelsemydadendedup - it was enough at the time I turned 12 years old...
It's an untrustworthy industry, and a very complicated one. They dad continues to to advise me not to even consider a career in it. I definitely won't.

The travelling around was tough, I'm more the sort of person who likes to be settled in one place, which thankfully now I am. How did you cope with it?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #2454
Anathemaniac

Quote:
It's an untrustworthy industry, and a very complicated one. They dad continues to to advise me not to even consider a career in it. I definitely won't.

The travelling around was tough, I'm more the sort of person who likes to be settled in one place, which thankfully now I am. How did you cope with it?
I fully recognize the troubles. I was a young shy kid at that time (and quite often I realize I still am), and it wasn't easy for my dad, my mum, and neither the kids.
My dad got *kicked* by Shell to Yokohama in the 1960's. Otherwise, end of job. No choice at all for his family. Once, in a couple of weeks, we - his family, left behind - recieved a postcard. There was no internet at that time, phone bills were outragious... until my mum got enough of it, and relocated herself, me and my little brother, to Japan, to be reunited with my dear dad.
Quite a culture shock I ensure you, as in the late 1960's-early 1970's, Japan was an entirely different country compared from what it is now. Noone apart from the Top Dogs spoke any English, just to name a quite important thing.

Just one bit of an experience which I think is very important: having to switch schools every six months or so - for young kids it's very important to have stable surroundings, building up friendships, and the like.
I never managed to do so, switching around every six months or so, and I'll be honest about it: it hurt me badly.

Of course, dad made a lot of cash, but being a expatriate's kid isn't as 'glorious' as it so often sounds. Especially not if you are a rather shy kid, and have trouble adjusting to the 'new' kids and folks whereever you go.

I'm not quite sure if I ever really managed to cope with it at all, to be serious.

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-24-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #2455
country flag The Prince

Quote:
I fully recognize the troubles. I was a young shy kid at that time (and quite often I realize I still am), and it wasn't easy for my dad, my mum, and neither the kids.

Just one bit of an experience which I think is very important: having to switch schools every six months or so - for young kids it's very important to have stable surroundings, building up friendships, and the like.
I never managed to do so, switching around every six months or so, and I'll be honest about it: it hurt me badly.

Of course, dad made a lot of cash, but being a expatriate's kid isn't as 'glorious' as it so often sounds. Especially not if you are a rather shy kid, and have trouble adjusting to the 'new' kids and folks whereever you go.
I can definitely relate to that. I'm awfully shy as well, but I often think that all the moving around caused it, or at least gave it the room to grow into a bigger problem.

Indeed. Everyone I tell the story to says to me it's wonderful and they wish they had done it, but I always reassure them that their life was better. Stability is so important in a childhood, and it I ever have kids, I want to make it as easy as possible for them.

What I would say is that it all ended for me by the age of six or seven, it was quite early on. I seldom remember any vivid details about all the different places, but when I arrived 'home' to England to attend junior school, everyone else had already made friends and it was tough to integrate myself into the network.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #2456
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not the easiest language to learn, certainly - all those cases, endings, and most of all their habit of sticking the verb at the end of a 200-word sentence (drives me nuts at times) - but I'm told that Russian, Mandarin and Japanese are worse . I had to do a crash-course from zero to "O-Level" standard (the exam you used to do at the age of 16) in 2 years! Yuck.
I actually have a few German friends from my Masters programme, including a couple of Swiss-Germans. I would consider myself a massive failure if I didn't manage to pick some German by the end of my course. Yeah, Chinese is really hard to learn, even for me. Any language that doesn't have English letters (I don't know the correct name of the alphabet ) is hard for me.

Also, did you manage to get tickets to watch Roger when you queued for them? I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst case scenario of queueing. I think it's slightly ridiculous to pay 700 pounds for a debenture ticket to the first round of the tournament, even if it's guaranteed that I'd get to see Roger.

Quote:

Even Roger can't get me into camping
Well, if it's just ONE night...

...but I hate being unshowered and dirty.

Quote:
I've never camped in my life yet and don't intend to do so

One of my colleagues at work says before she retires from work we have to go camping together - I replied that I would need to have a whole month off vacation then afterwards
Tell her that she'd need to pay you to get you to go camping.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #2457
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But he won this year, no? I'm pretty set on going, so it's probably going to be Friday to Sunday, since I have classes Tuesday to Thursday. Is it easy to get tickets the day before a match? I don't think I want to buy tickets for Saturday and Sunday just in case he doesn't make it.

Yes it would be lovely to meet you and Karin in Rotterdam. I'm already getting excited thinking about it!!!

Quote:
There's enough time to learn some more before your next meeting with him
Yeah! He'd hopefully take extra notice of me if I say something in German...that is, he'd be wondering who's this gimp that just butchered his language.

Quote:

That's my problem with Chinese too, especially now.

Quote:

The latter. I do low-key lawyer's stuff, like helping people to get their social security's benefits, help 'em out with (local) taxes (even if I did make a mess of my own this year ), consumer's rights when buying a washing machine that breaks down in six months' time, and the like.
'Klein Bier' as we call it in my country.
Great stuff. I worked in a big law firm as a litigator and felt like I sold my soul to the devil. I had some great cases especially the criminal ones, but also met a lot of assholes and I had to work for them. I hated it. I can see how your work is infinitely more rewarding than being a corporate big shot or whatever.

Quote:
Well, sure give it a try! I'd really like to meet you there.
Apart from the tennis, Rotterdam is quite an interesting place to be... and I now know the way to get autographs from Rog over there.
That just decided it for me. I am so going. Did you buy upper/lower tier tickets?

Quote:
No TENT for you, eh Doris?
As for Wimbledon, Margo has been there a couple of times and even made it to the Centre Court and witnessed Roger a couple of times. She did have to join the queue for the entire night before though. Involving a tent and a lot of Schnapps. I also offered her an advice to get a few of those cheapo camping chairs to make life just a little easier while queue' ing last year.
Did she camp for just one night? That is somewhat acceptable as a last resort measure but I'm not sure I can tolerate anything more than that. Wish I could pay someone to camp for me.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #2458
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I can definitely relate to that. I'm awfully shy as well, but I often think that all the moving around caused it, or at least gave it the room to grow into a bigger problem.
Yeah, I fully understand that. It's kind of an 'egg-or-chicken, which came first?'-kind of a problem.

Quote:
Indeed. Everyone I tell the story to says to me it's wonderful and they wish they had done it, but I always reassure them that their life was better. Stability is so important in a childhood, and it I ever have kids, I want to make it as easy as possible for them.
Cannot agree with you more!

Quote:
What I would say is that it all ended for me by the age of six or seven, it was quite early on. I seldom remember any vivid details about all the different places, but when I arrived 'home' to England to attend junior school, everyone else had already made friends and it was tough to integrate myself into the network.
Yep, I can fully relate to that. I attended junior school in England by the way, and I quite appreciated it!
My return to the Dutch "lagere school" thereafter, at age 11, was a complete disaster. The folks over there apparently expected a girl with a bit of a language problem (as all of the education I had from six years old was in English), well the opposite was true, as my mum tought me very well about Dutch grammatics, and you do not want to know how much of jealousy-related sh*te it brought me.

I appeared to be the 'queer girl' - not unlike Arya:

Anathema

Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #2459
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Yeah, I fully understand that. It's kind of an 'egg-or-chicken, which came first?'-kind of a problem.
Exactly, but I don't really care now where it came from, all I want is to just be a bit more confident.

Quote:
Yep, I can fully relate to that. I attended junior school in England by the way, and I quite appreciated it!
My return to the Dutch "lagere school" thereafter, at age 11, was a complete disaster. The folks over there apparently expected a girl with a bit of a language problem (as all of the education I had from six years old was in English), well the opposite was true, as my mum tought me very well about Dutch grammatics, and you do not want to know how much of jealousy-related sh*te it brought me.
English junior school is fun, but from what I know about it in comparison with other countries, it's not very effective and doesn't give a child the best possible foundations for young adolescence.

I'm sorry. Your situation sounds ten times worse, to be fair. Having to travel around until twelve years of age and switching languages.

Quote:
I appeared to be the 'queer girl' - not unlike Arya:

A Game Of Thrones!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #2460
Anathemaniac

Hey Trippy!

Quote:
Yes it would be lovely to meet you and Karin in Rotterdam. I'm already getting excited thinking about it!!!
As far as I know, there are still tickets available. Do let me know about your plans, and I'll try to do my best to get you your tickets there.

Quote:
Great stuff. I worked in a big law firm as a litigator and felt like I sold my soul to the devil. I had some great cases especially the criminal ones, but also met a lot of assholes and I had to work for them. I hated it. I can see how your work is infinitely more rewarding than being a corporate big shot or whatever.
That's the main problem I think...
An additional problem is that over 40 years of age, you do not have much choice but to do what I am doing right now in my country. Ageism is RAMPANT over here.

Criminal law got me my best marks during law school, but to no avail. So I felt forced to get my dosh otherwise.

Quote:
That just decided it for me. I am so going. Did you buy upper/lower tier tickets?
PeRFect tickets.
Don't know if they are still available, but one of the good things about the Rotterdam tournament is that even at top level, you have a good sight, and noone will refrain you from going down to get a better seat.

If you want me to make some further inquiries, do let me know, as far as I know, tickets are still available. Would love to meet you in Rotterdam, Trippy!

Anathema