The "RF" chat thread - Page 161 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #2401
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

What a coincidence!

Did I ever mention that I think I may have been at uni with Roger's biographer?
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #2402
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
What a coincidence!

Did I ever mention that I think I may have been at uni with Roger's biographer?
Who's his biographer? Rene Stauffer (sp)?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #2403
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Where did you do your LLM, Karin? And do you have two LLMs like most of my European classmates? (Many of them are in London doing a second LLM.)
Utrecht University, over here, in my home town.
And yep, two degrees in two different subjects.

As for some further good news... this week I managed to get a bunch of 'job scammers' *busted*!
Sheez I cannot express how much I despise those kind of crooks, making bad use of the high unemployment rates over here right now, taking advantage of desperate people trying to finally get themselves a 'job'... but well, they're on my country's list of 'known scams' right now. Serves them well. Good-Bloody-Riddance!

Quote:
I just want to tell everyone that I met a new friend at Roger's pre-match practice session on Monday. I asked this random person to help me take a photo with Roger and we started talking and it turned out we are both attending the same school now. I had lunch with her today and we spent the whole lunch talking about Roger. I've never had real-life friends who love him as much as me before so this is really awesome.
That's just awesome, and it's one of those great things about attending tournaments - meeting new friends!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #2404
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who's his biographer? Rene Stauffer (sp)?
Chris Bowers in this case. I think it must be the same guy, but I can't tell from the picture.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #2405
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just want to tell everyone that I met a new friend at Roger's pre-match practice session on Monday. I asked this random person to help me take a photo with Roger and we started talking and it turned out we are both attending the same school now. I had lunch with her today and we spent the whole lunch talking about Roger. I've never had real-life friends who love him as much as me before so this is really awesome.
awww, that's nice. I don't have any real-life friends who are big Fed fans.
Best I have is my dad saying "Well..., I don't hate him. "
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #2406
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where did you do your LLM, Karin? And do you have two LLMs like most of my European classmates? (Many of them are in London doing a second LLM.)

can you believe most of my close friends right now are all Fed fans .We watch his important matches together Its really a lot of fun
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #2407
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

tripwires and Chirag, I'm jealous of you guys.
All my fedfriends are ones I have met at tennis tournaments but they all live in other countries
we keep in touch with facebook though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
my dad is the same. Ironically he is the one who got me into watching & playing tennis. My tennis coach really likes Roger and my parents have a friend
who likes him also. But of course I can't talk about silly stuff like Roger's hair with them or anything
Unfortunately where I live football ( American) is a religion, esp. since my University is supposedly one of the best teams. Could care less, though .
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #2408
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
As for some further good news... this week I managed to get a bunch of 'job scammers' *busted*!
Sheez I cannot express how much I despise those kind of crooks, making bad use of the high unemployment rates over here right now, taking advantage of desperate people trying to finally get themselves a 'job'... but well, they're on my country's list of 'known scams' right now. Serves them well. Good-Bloody-Riddance!
Way to go! You're using the law the way it should be used - to protect people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Chris Bowers in this case. I think it must be the same guy, but I can't tell from the picture.
Oh right, I forgot about the other Federer book; I've only read Quest for Perfection. How amazing would it be if he were indeed your classmate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Your dad is funny. Is he a tennis fan? Who are his favourite players? My parents are Federer fans because of me. We watched his matches together when I was still in Singapore and everytime Roger's down a break or losing or whatever, my dad would go into his room cos he's too scared to watch and my mom would get super nervous and find an excuse not to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
can you believe most of my close friends right now are all Fed fans .We watch his important matches together Its really a lot of fun
You're lucky. I wish my close friends even watched tennis at all. Have you guys gone for tournaments together? It would be so fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
tripwires and Chirag, I'm jealous of you guys.
All my fedfriends are ones I have met at tennis tournaments but they all live in other countries
we keep in touch with facebook though.
Well there's always the option of attending tournaments together with them!

Quote:
my dad is the same. Ironically he is the one who got me into watching & playing tennis. My tennis coach really likes Roger and my parents have a friend
who likes him also. But of course I can't talk about silly stuff like Roger's hair with them or anything
Unfortunately where I live football ( American) is a religion, esp. since my University is supposedly one of the best teams. Could care less, though .
Silly?! That's one of the most important things to discuss - whether you prefer his hair short, shortish, longish, in a ponytail (). I would love to discuss how hot his legs are.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)

Last edited by tripwires : 11-18-2012 at 05:23 PM.
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #2409
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I am campaigning for the coveted ACC this year. Please pledge me your support.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #2410
country flag alypen

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot about the other Federer book; I've only read Quest for Perfection. How amazing would it be if he were indeed your classmate?
Well, not entirely my classmate: he *was* a couple of years ahead of me, so we didn't overlap much - if it is him. I'm not sure my local libraries stock QfP, but even Chris recommends it (but in the original German for preference! Not totally sure I'm up to that without reading some more general tennis stuff in the language first ).

I always *hated* that ponytail, BTW. Was *so* glad when he got rid of it

Anyway, I just popped in because I didn't think it was worth putting in the articles thread, but Fed gets a mention in this article about coffee/beer/curry-splattering moments in sport : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-the-sofa.html
That point at 5-6 down or whatever it was in the first set tie break on Monday would probably have done it for me!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #2411
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your dad is funny. Is he a tennis fan? Who are his favourite players?
Yeah, my dad played tennis when he was young, in some amateur league in Belgrade, before the ATP was even formed. He always watched tennis on TV so I watched with him as a little kid. That's why I've been watching even since the days of wooden racquets!

My dad is a big hater ; he enjoys cheering against someone more than cheering for a favourite. He liked Borg and he was a big Sampras fan. He was mad at Fed for ending Sampras's career. But then Rafa came along. He really hated Rafa so he cheered for Fed for a while. Also he liked Roger's graceful playing style. Then Djokovic came along and he decided to support him because we're also Serbian (he's not sure if he would like Djokovic at all otherwise). He also likes Ferrer.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #2412
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Guys, I am campaigning for the coveted ACC this year. Please pledge me your support.
Seriously?

Quote:
Silly?! That's one of the most important things to discuss - whether you prefer his hair short, shortish, longish, in a ponytail (). I would love to discuss how hot his legs are.
Roger's hair. For real:

BTW, is anyone planning on going to any tournaments next year?
I really am shooting for Wimbledon b/c it's always been a dream of mine to see Rog play there. And now we know he'll be first up on CC on Monday .
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #2413
country flag alypen

Hoping to go to Wimby as usual - but as usual it'll depend on the weather, 'cause I can't actually afford court tickets.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #2414
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Way to go! You're using the law the way it should be used - to protect people.
That's how I have always considered the law to be used - helpful to the people. Unfortunately, a lot of folks have no knowledge of how to achieve - and fight for! - their rights, and that's exactly what I do as a freelance-lawyer - HELP people.
This case was a rather nasty one though, I fear many folks fell for it, as they looked pretty decent... it was only after I started adding 1 + 1 = 2 and not 3 myself, when I discovered I was actually dealing with scammers.

Well coming February the taxes on the values of homes will fall on everyone's doormats again over here - and as those values have plummeted the past three years or so, I guess I'll have myself plenty of work again, soon... so many folks who just don't dare to fight their taxes, even if it's not that hard to do so at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
Seriously?
BTW, is anyone planning on going to any tournaments next year?
I really am shooting for Wimbledon b/c it's always been a dream of mine to see Rog play there. And now we know he'll be first up on CC on Monday .
I've got great tickets for Rotterdam 2013, and be sure I'll be meeting some fantastic fans over there - Doris, Margo , among some of them.
And of course, Halle!
Even if Roger doesn't show up over there - mostly because of him having done well at RG - it's such a great, friendly tournament, with lots of folks I know showing up over there.

My friend Margo always goes to Wimbledon, to get in line and fetch tickets, with a tent, and stuff like that. Too much of a hassle for me, and besides, I prefer the 'smaller' tournaments, just a bit more friendly and the like.
(just like with rock concerts, 'big' occasions aren't for me, as I suffer a bit of claustrophobia when things get too crowded to my liking. )

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #2415
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work Karin I hate scammers too .They rob the people for their own greed
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote