The "RF" chat thread - Page 153 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #2281
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "17 is our new favorite number" chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrf11 View Post
The good news is that he's a young man and it's easier to recover and have a normal life. The question is a bit difficult when it happenes to a not so young person, expetially women who after some age are easily affected by osteoporosis and are taking many more risks.
Yep, true. It's a bit funny though, all of the other folks victims of hip fractures in the hospital are elderly ladies, and they come across as being pretty pleased to see him join them over there.
(a bit of 'black humour' doesn't mind on occasion, eh? - he himself was the first to point out that the elderly ladies looked rather 'pleased to see him' )

Yeah, the key point will indeed be patience most of all. And of course, the racing bike will stay locked in the cellar for at least three months, and if it were up to me - forever.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-23-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #2282
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Karin, sorry to hear about the accident of your BF
It sounds really dangerous what happened.
If the doctors of him are as good as the one I had in Rotterdam I'm pretty sure everything will go well
Good to hear that he is in a positive mood.
My father got a new hip several years ago. Everything went fine but you really have to be patient.
Thank you so much for your lovely words.
I'm still happy to know that everything worked out fine with your injury back in Rotterdam.

It was just one pivotal little 'shit-that-happens'-moment, my BF even didn't realize it was that bad at all at first instance (at least that's what he told me, I don't really believe him to be honest, his friends told me that he was OUT for at least five minutes ), but somehow, he even managed to bike some 10 kms more after the incident happened!
It was just that he wasn't able to dismount the bike anymore that set all signs to a flaming RED - couldn't stand on his left leg anymore and that prompted his friends to tell him to stay put, wait for one of them to get a car and drive him to the hospital. Where the diagnosis was made and it became instantly clear that this injury was quite a serious one. Jeebus.

So far the hospital folks have done a great job I think.
Dutch medics aren't as 'bad' as some claim at times, actually, I think they do a great job!

It makes me appreciate the pro cyclists I watched at the Tour de France even more. I well remember us both laughing and cringing at one cyclist who managed to finish an étappe as well with a likewise injury my BF suffered... oh_OH.

To all of you suffering injuries and adversities as well - my best wishes to you, too!

Anathema

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #2283
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but somehow, he even managed to bike some 10 kms more after the incident happened!

I hope you rightfully chewed him out for that. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing, but he could have tore up his hip badly, as in not being able to walk again without assistance.

I flipped a snowmobile once in the middle of the bush, injured my right leg, no fracture or anything. Managed to start it up, rode all the way home, walked back and sat down for dinner.

Then my mother asks why there was blood on the floor. I was wearing light polyester, which she cuts right off of my and my leg was coated in blood. She bandaged me up after chewing me out for being an idiot (I had been home several hours before she had a chance to look at it), but I was ok. Still have the scar though.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2284
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post

I hope you rightfully chewed him out for that. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing, but he could have tore up his hip badly, as in not being able to walk again without assistance.
I wasn't there when it happened - pro cycling is too scary for me (and for a good reason I think ) - but the first thing these crazy tough fellows do after a bad fall, is climbing back onto the bike asap.
It was only until he had to come off the bike that he noticed that he couldn't possibly stand on his left leg anymore (and hence, couldn't walk) that he realized that this was *serious*.

It would have been different if I had been there when it happened, I'm pretty sure I'd have ordered to lay off the bike immediately and call someone to fetch him with a car and drive him to the hospital right away. I don't like this kind of batshit crazy 'heroism' at all - after all, you've only got ONE body and you just hope for it to be able to carry you for some 80 years or so... so try and be as cautious with it as is possible. Not that I always do so myself, I've had my share of rather idiotic downhill skiing accidents as well in the past but apart from a concussion once in a while, never suffered anything as bad as that it needed hospitalization. I guess it's some kind of strange Human Nature to want to push our bodies as much as possible, never mind the consequences...

Anathema

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #2285
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not that I always do so myself, I've had my share of rather idiotic downhill skiing accidents as well in the past but apart from a concussion once in a while
So that explains why you're a Fedal fan.

I had one concussion - first and only day playing raquetball. Reached for a shot and slipped. KOed myself against the wall.

5 minutes later, I was back up - but the nurse wasn't going to let me play anymore. Checked my head and I had a rather large gash right along the eyebrow from the protective glasses ramming into my head.

Looked terrible, I was fine, but I have zero recollection of the five minutes. My poor friend was freaking out when I didn't get up. Went to the hospital got stitched up. Other then that have been very injury free in my sports. Couple of pulled Achilles tendons, and that's pretty much it. Used to play soccer as a fullback and cross country skiing in the winter along with volleyball. Kept me out of trouble. Now I mostly run and swim.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2286
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
So that explains why you're a Fedal fan.
- well I managed to get myself an LLM-accreditation from Utrecht University as well thereafter - I just wonder now, is it because I'm , or that that kind of education isn't as 'hard' as some claim it is?

Quote:
I had one concussion - first and only day playing raquetball. Reached for a shot and slipped. KOed myself against the wall.

5 minutes later, I was back up - but the nurse wasn't going to let me play anymore. Checked my head and I had a rather large gash right along the eyebrow from the protective glasses ramming into my head.

Looked terrible, I was fine, but I have zero recollection of the five minutes. My poor friend was freaking out when I didn't get up. Went to the hospital got stitched up. Other then that have been very injury free in my sports. Couple of pulled Achilles tendons, and that's pretty much it. Used to play soccer as a fullback and cross country skiing in the winter along with volleyball. Kept me out of trouble. Now I mostly run and swim.
Shit happens, Sean. Glad to now it all turned out okay at the end.
And yes, running and swimming are a lot less dangerous sports, and they keep you in shape as well.

Good news for my BF today - the docs were astonished to see his recovery today, and he may well be dismissed from the hospital coming Friday!

They attributed his fine recovery to him being in perfect condition, and somehow that didn't surprise me much - a fellow who has no problems of biking 450 kms in two days and has managed to climb Mont Ventoux on his bike in less than two hours, is indeed a top sportsman.

That said, he will have to walk on crutches the coming six weeks - as he may NOT put any weight on his left leg - , and I'll have to exploit my own arm muscles with pushing the wheel chair for the coming time.

Still, outlooks are positive considering the initial medical indications, and I'm very happy about that right now! And so is Birdman.

Anathema

Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #2287
Anathemaniac

Very positive news, Birdman indeed got out of the hospital today already, the docs told me that this was one of the fastest recoveries they'd ever seen with this kind of an injury!

Of course, it has a lot to do with his (relatively) young age (as indeed, most victims of a hip fracture are elderly ladies), but the docs also praised him for his excellent physical condition. So, no additional revalidation and/or physiotherapy necessary or anything, he's expected to be able to recover fully all by himself.

Today I have been very busy with arranging crutches and a wheelchair - as he won't be allowed to even put weight on his left leg for at least six weeks, let alone *stand* on said leg - and I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that he is allowed to keep all that stuff for three months, without any payment at all! All covered by his (very basic) medical insurance.
The Dutch health insurance system isn't as bad as some at times make it out to be.

Now there's the problem of getting used to using all that stuff. As a typical cyclist, Bird's arm muscles are quite underdevelopped, and using them crutches takes quite a heavy toll on your arm muscles - as does pushing the wheelchair, which will be my major task the coming couple of weeks.
Guess we'll both be developing Nadal-like biceps in the near future, .

Anathema

Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #2288
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

that's great news, karin
but your guy is so active... sounds like 6 weeks of no standing/walking/biking will be tough for him. He'd better learn to like push-ups or something.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #2289
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
that's great news, karin
but your guy is so active... sounds like 6 weeks of no standing/walking/biking will be tough for him. He'd better learn to like push-ups or something.

When it comes to cycling, my BF is unstoppable, but "fortunately", the cycling stopped him this time.

Yes, it will be tough on him indeed, but he has a very positive mind, and for now, is just very very happy that it turned out the way it did so far.
It looked so much worse a couple of days ago, with that operation and the morphine pump and everything.
I never expected it would turn out so well in just a couple of days, and neither did he.

Push-ups - no. You strain your legs as well when doing them, so out-of-the-equation, alas...

Anathema

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 07-26-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2290
country flag Eden
Proud to be your fan

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Thank you so much for your lovely words.

Good to hear about your BF being able to leave the hospital and even don't need to have further treatment

When I had my first torn-ligament I had to undergo surgery and when I was back home my parents also had a wheelchair for me but I think they only used it for one or two days because it was so unpractical.

How lucky though being able to get out of it...

Quote:
I'm still happy to know that everything worked out fine with your injury back in Rotterdam.
Me too

Thanks
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #2291
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post

Good to hear about your BF being able to leave the hospital and even don't need to have further treatment

When I had my first torn-ligament I had to undergo surgery and when I was back home my parents also had a wheelchair for me but I think they only used it for one or two days because it was so unpractical.

How lucky though being able to get out of it...

Yeah, it's shitty, but the wheelchair is the only reasonable solution for Bird right now, so we'll have to make do...
He's rather happy with it, so I reckoned this evening.

Quote:
Me too

Thanks
again.
SHIT bloody happens, there's no other conclusion than just to make the best out of circumstances, and I get this feeling that we will.

"yes, you can!"

Anathema

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #2292
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Karin was talking about Berydch for a while. Hope he has a speedy recovery. You should try some Chinese herbal medicine

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #2293
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
I thought Karin was talking about Berydch for a while. Hope he has a speedy recovery. You should try some Chinese herbal medicine

Nah, not Berdych, rather Birdman my BF.

Adrian for your well wishes!

Anathema

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #2294
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very positive news, Birdman indeed got out of the hospital today already, the docs told me that this was one of the fastest recoveries they'd ever seen with this kind of an injury!

Of course, it has a lot to do with his (relatively) young age (as indeed, most victims of a hip fracture are elderly ladies), but the docs also praised him for his excellent physical condition. So, no additional revalidation and/or physiotherapy necessary or anything, he's expected to be able to recover fully all by himself.

Today I have been very busy with arranging crutches and a wheelchair - as he won't be allowed to even put weight on his left leg for at least six weeks, let alone *stand* on said leg - and I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that he is allowed to keep all that stuff for three months, without any payment at all! All covered by his (very basic) medical insurance.
The Dutch health insurance system isn't as bad as some at times make it out to be.

Now there's the problem of getting used to using all that stuff. As a typical cyclist, Bird's arm muscles are quite underdevelopped, and using them crutches takes quite a heavy toll on your arm muscles - as does pushing the wheelchair, which will be my major task the coming couple of weeks.
Guess we'll both be developing Nadal-like biceps in the near future, .
I'm glad
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #2295
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
I'm glad
viruzzz

Anathema