Stringing question (possibly for jazar)...... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stringing question (possibly for jazar)......

So I've recently switched strings and I'm playing with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L String on the mains and Gamma Live Wire XP 16 on the crosses. I absolutely love it.

The problem is for the first few matches I play after a restring, it's absolutely quality. But after that it's horrible, it totally loses its playability. I used to string racquets but I don't have a machine, so every time I restring it's costing me a tenner plus the £10-15 odd I gotta spend on the string. I can't really justify paying that much every week or two.

I used to play with the Live Wire on mains and crosses, the durability was much better but the playablity is significantly reduced. I think it's the Big Banger that's causing the problems, but I like the string....

Is there anything else you'd recommend that might produce similar results but wouldn't need me to restring so often?

Cheers
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stringing question (possibly for jazar)......

i sympathise with your problem, as i used to be in the similar situation of forking out about £20 every couple of weeks for stringing. luckily i now run my own stringing business and get lots of free string which i use in my rackets.

basically, what your problem boils down to is that all strings start to lose their tension quickly once they are off the machine. polyester strings, like alu rough, lose more tension. then after about 10 hours of play they lose even more tension and the playability just falls through the floor. a string like gamma live wire holds its tension better.

you could try going for a poly that is similar but holds tension better. strings like pacific poly force and luxilon timo 122will give a similar kind of feel to what you are using on the mains, but hold tension for longer and so retain their playability. however, they will only last a little longer and are still off a similar price.

alternatively, you could go for something like signum pro poly plasma, which is a lot cheaper than luxilon (about £45 for a 200m) reel, and holds tension better as well. although you may still end up restringing after a couple of weeks it'll cost you less in the long run. if you buy a reel and you are only using it for a hybrid, the signum pro will only cost you like £1.50 per time.

loads of people use polyesters and hybrids because that is what is used by the pros. but its important to remember that with them durability is not an issue; they will rarely play with a racket for more than 2 hours.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your time mate, much appreciated

You're not based in North London are you? I'll bring my business to you, you seem to know your stuff. A lot better than the clown that strung my racquet last time and totally fucked up my grommet (I'll upload a pic later)....

I'll give this Signum Pro a try, I've never used it before. I'll let you know what I think
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using signum pro poly plasma for the past three weeks and it is indeed a pretty good string for such a cheap price. Definitely give it a try and see if you like it A guy in my uni does the work (string + the job) for 10£/racket, so that's good for my budget as well
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
Thanks for your time mate, much appreciated

You're not based in North London are you? I'll bring my business to you, you seem to know your stuff. A lot better than the clown that strung my racquet last time and totally fucked up my grommet (I'll upload a pic later)....

I'll give this Signum Pro a try, I've never used it before. I'll let you know what I think
i stock the signum pro and used to put it in my rackets as a hybrid with prince synthetic gut duraflex. its a pretty nice string, popular with my customers, used on the pro tour (by michael berrer, yen hsun lu, daniel cox), comes in four gauges, holds tension better than almost every luxilon string and most importantly is cheap.

i'm not based in north london, but when i'm not at uni i'm based in south east london and work in central london. once my uni semester is over and i have my stringing machine back home i could probably string your rackets for you if you wanted
Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
country flag Dirty Bert

Dirty Bert is on a distinguished road

Is it hard to learn how to string a racquet? Does the quality of the machine also depend on the quality of the stringing job? Maybe putting a few hundred into a machine would payoff down the road if I learn todo it myself.
Dirty Bert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
country flag jazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bert View Post
Is it hard to learn how to string a racquet? Does the quality of the machine also depend on the quality of the stringing job? Maybe putting a few hundred into a machine would payoff down the road if I learn todo it myself.
stringing isnt really that hard. it takes a lot of effort and concentration when you are first learning, but after that there isnt really that much to it.

there are 3 types of machine: drop weight, lock out and electric. electric are obviously the best, most expensive and most accurate, but there is nothing really wrong with either of the other two, especially if you are learning
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
country flag Dirty Bert

Dirty Bert is on a distinguished road

If I learn how to do a good job myself, and if I get a machine that is middle of the line, I only have to gain and nothing to lose. Are there places online (youtube etc) where I could see how it is done? I figure I would buy a cheap reel of something and just string a racquet over and over til I got the hang of it. Advantages or disadvantages? What do you think?
Dirty Bert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
country flag jazar

there are videos and stuff on youtube, but i think a lot of machines also come with instructions as well
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

mr. jazar I've never done stringing myself, but I was thinking of buying a machine now. Can you tell anything about a machine called StringEco 45? I would just get it to a fairly cheap price atm
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

I forgot to bump this thread

I tried out the Pro Poly Plasma jazar, it's pretty good thanks for the recommendation. Also I just found out my new coach is sponsored by them, so he can get me the string very cheap. Good stuff all round
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
country flag jazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
mr. jazar I've never done stringing myself, but I was thinking of buying a machine now. Can you tell anything about a machine called StringEco 45? I would just get it to a fairly cheap price atm
looking at that machine it seems pretty similar to a couple of other similar machines from other brands. there are loads of companies that say they make stringing machines but a lot of them come out of the same factory in china and just get branded differently. but it looks to be a pretty decent dropweight machine, with a nice secure mounting mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
I forgot to bump this thread

I tried out the Pro Poly Plasma jazar, it's pretty good thanks for the recommendation. Also I just found out my new coach is sponsored by them, so he can get me the string very cheap. Good stuff all round
its definitely a pretty solid string and the price is great, i guess thats why its the most popular poly i stock
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
country flag Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
looking at that machine it seems pretty similar to a couple of other similar machines from other brands. there are loads of companies that say they make stringing machines but a lot of them come out of the same factory in china and just get branded differently. but it looks to be a pretty decent dropweight machine, with a nice secure mounting mechanism
Thanks I managed to find few other pretty positive comments about it as well, so I think I'll go for it then
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
country flag Smasher

I haven't ordered the machine yet, but I'll do it in the next few days. One thing that I've been wondering. Are fixed clamps much more easier to use and is the result any different compared to floating clamps? The one with floating clamps is like 100 euros cheaper
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

I can answer that, I used to do a bit of stringing.

Fixed clamps will make it a hell of a lot quicker. The floating clamps are ok once you get used to them, but they're a pain in the ass at first, it'll take you ages to string a racquet with them.