News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 294 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #4396
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_masha View Post
I also don’t see why you, guys, seem that disappointed about this decision: he is probably a delicious guy, but I always thought that he’s also considerably pragmatic in certain aspects(*).
I'm sure he has enough opportunities to do well without becoming part of this farce.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #4397
country flag Roseisarose

Roseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
I'm sure he has enough opportunities to do well without becoming part of this farce.
This. Sadly, I think it just says something rotten about his political convictions. I'm usually a lurker on this forum, but I had to comment on these news. Marat, what the f---? The dominant Russian party is a corrupt mess. And that's an understatement. (I am from Greece, so I cannot be accused of having a superiority complex here.) So utterly disappointed in him. Not that we ever knew much about his political beliefs, but I would have never guessed that someone with his worldly background could possibly be drawn to this.
Roseisarose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4398
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseisarose View Post
This. Sadly, I think it just says something rotten about his political convictions.
oh, believe me, it has nothing to do with his political convictions. As little_masha has already pointed out he does it for obvious pragmatic reasons. I hope though that these reasons are related exclusively to his plans re tennis in russia.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #4399
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
oh, believe me, it has nothing to do with his political convictions. As little_masha has already pointed out he does it for obvious pragmatic reasons. I hope though that these reasons are related exclusively to his plans re tennis in russia.
Exactly Ira! And I still believe in his honesty and integrity and that he wants to get things done to develop sports in Russia.
And you know I've never worried about how he'd do after retirement from pro tennis, I know he'll be fine, he is a smart guy.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #4400
country flag Soozka

Soozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post
If obediently toeing the party line and swallowing your principles are what makes a good politician, then Marat would be “lousy” indeed!

To me, it’s precisely those qualities, his outspokenness and candour etc, that will make Marat a force for the good in politics, even if he's just involved in the sports side of things. ...

For sure, the ability to bullshit is essential for (certain) politicians, but Marat doesn’t strike me as one of those. We don’t know in what ways his hands have been tied with regard to projects that haven't yet got off the ground.
Would that politics were like that, monkeytattoo. It would be great if it were.

Its not what "tied his hands" which concerns me - that's par for the course. Its his opening his mouth and announcing that he has accomplished things when those things haven't been accomplished at all and when its not his place to make the announcements in any case - viz his saying that he was a VP of the Russian Tennis Federation long before he was appointed as such. That one turned out OK - Sharpi came through - months later. And his announcement that he'd achieved the ATP's agreement to a further ATP tournament in Russia - when he had not. That one didn't come off.

Its not only that this looks like him trying to lock other people into decisions that have only been talked about and not yet signed, sealed and delivered. Its also that it makes him easy fodder for more astute and wily politicians to manipulate and, if they are seeking to do so, to destroy.

As pointed out by others, its not just "toeing the party line" that's at issue here.

There are also other forces at work in Russian politics - like personal enrichment - which can be a fairly strong motivating force for those politicians whom Marat would be interacting with. From the outside, Russian politics looks like an interplay of "powerful friends". Sure, Marat understands the necessity of cultivating "powerful friends" in that environment - his tennis association with Sharpi shows that - but what is it that the "powerful friends" would want of him?

Getting the votes in for a particular political party doesn't seem to be a problem - for whatever reason - in the Russian Federation. So, it would not be Marat's electoral popularity (however much of that he has) that would get him the support of other politicians for whatever he might be seeking to accomplish by entering the political fray.

Last edited by Soozka : 06-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Soozka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #4401
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....an interesting debate about something that, in my mind at least, was as inevitable as the 'trophy blonde model'....I have no idea about Marat's actual political views, and I agree that this attempt to be elected has little to do with his personal social philosophy - or at least I doubt it - but consider that he has spent probably the best part of 18 months TRYING to get things off the ground and has, as has been pointed out, had little visible success....and think what that means for MArat - he wants to succeed and make a difference - schmoozing with billionaires hasn't worked on it's own - as it was never going to do so OBVIOUOSLY he needs to take the next step and at least TRY and get involved in the process where actual decisions are made - and that, like it or not, and wherever you are in the world and under whatever political system you live - is on the committees and sub-committees of politics....no one can be surprised, given Marat's known associations there, that this is all happening via the Nizhny Novgorod region - and I don;t think Marat will be acting as a political party member in the usual sense - I don;t know enough about the practical macinations of the state Duma - but if they are antything like the Parliaments and Senates that I am familiar with, there's a lot of talking and a lot of debating and eventually, other poeple actually do all the work to make things happen...politics is by it's very nature transient and short sighted - election to election - and 'politics' per se seems to have little REAL effect on peopl's lives - in the end it is the economy and the actions of the banks that make the biggest differene regardless of what political party may be in charge....but I digress.....Russian Politics (in common with politics worldwide, I hasten to add) is notoriously corrupt - but it's BUSINESS interests that corrupt the politicians...the REAL issues in Russia are largely due to State interference in Business and the fact that most of the millionaires created when Yeltsin allowed the thugs to take over the vast national assets of Russia and make a tiny total of the population vastly wealthy out of literally nowhere - that the scenes were set for the situation today - do some research about 'western' concerns trying to operate in Russia and you will discover that corruption is endemic from top to bottom - in spite of the attempts of Medvedev to at least TALK in public about these issues, the question is whether there are just too many powerful vested interests in control for a mere President to have any effect at all...I realise this is a vast oversimplification...apologies to anyone who has much greater knowledge than I do on this subject, please feel free to correct me ...and yes, it's all very well me sitting here in Melbourne making these observations when I don't live in what to most observers has become increasingly more Putinesque(as in totalitarian) but it's the idea of our idealistic hero getting mixed up in this murky world that would be my concern for Marat if indeed it's my 'concern' at all...but I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens IF he gets elected....one other comment before I sink back under my rock....MArat spent his entire adult life as the centre of attention - he had friends, coaches, tournament directors, managers - (all making a living off him and subsequentley, all there to do what HE wanted, to make his life easier to pander to HIS whims...he is an Aquarian - a lateral thinker, and a polyglot - the world, for so long, WAS his oyster...the comments from the wily old politician that monkeytattoo highlighted amply illustrates that IF MArat gets into this world, things will be very different...they will all be rubbing their gnarly old hands together thinking :OK - here comes the young, hot guy full of ideas and expecting things to change like - NOW....heheheh.....we'll soon show him that's not how it works.....and yes, there may be situations where they try to manipulate him - whether they succeed may be a different matter and remains to be seen...interesting times to watch ahead....
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #4402
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soozka View Post
And his announcement that he'd achieved the ATP's agreement to a further ATP tournament in Russia - when he had not. That one didn't come off.
I don't remember him saying that he did achieve the ATP's agreement. In all interviews I've read he was always cautious about this subject.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #4403
country flag little_masha

little_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Marat!

In just 2 weeks-time he has alienated his entire fan-base in here: firstly by producing a new blonde model and subsequently by announcing he’s going into politics (I actually wonder which of these two enraged us more, huh? I’d go for the blonde…)

Anyway, let’s not vilify this “political” announcement, though, like I said, I’m sure it’s pragmatism and not ideology for Marat.

After all, he hasn’t proved himself a total jerk in this respect yet (and hopefully never will) and then, hey, didn’t we use to give him credit for like…almost anything?!

How can you, guys (especially the Russian Federation subjects in here), not raise an eyebrow about his constantly being photographed in friendly poses with Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov in the past, but you are shocked that today he runs for the Duma?

I have also noted that some of you worry about how he’ll end up manipulated by some old fox of a politician/businessman into doing this or that.

I strongly doubt it, for several reasons, ranging from the fact that I actually count him for a pretty smart guy and ending with the one that he’s already wealthy, hence harder to manipulate (I know that there was a general worry about Marat having wasted his tennis fortune, but now that we’ve all seen his Moscow apartment, I guess we can relax: that kind of penthouse is most surely not the kind to provide for from your mum’s pension).

Bottom line, I my opinion there were other reasons to worry/get angry/dismiss him over the years and still we didn't.

So why don't we give him a bit more credit, see what comes out of this "politics issue" and when he'll get old & fat & bold we renegate him for abandoning the ideals we used to atribute to him?

Last edited by little_masha : 06-25-2011 at 08:32 AM.
little_masha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #4404
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Would that politics were like that, monkeytattoo. It would be great if it were.

As pointed out by others, its not just "toeing the party line" that's at issue here.
I don’t think that’s the only issue! I was responding to the points you made in your original post.

Quote:

Its not what "tied his hands" which concerns me - that's par for the course. [b]Its his opening his mouth and announcing that he has accomplished things when those things haven't been accomplished at all and when its not his place to make the announcements in any case … Its not only that this looks like him trying to lock other people into decisions that have only been talked about and not yet signed, sealed and delivered. Its also that it makes him easy fodder for more astute and wily politicians to manipulate and, if they are seeking to do so, to destroy.
I don’t know that Marat is such easy fodder for destruction, simply because he may have jumped the gun a couple times, or is gung-ho to get things done.

Also I thought Renat Zagidullan’s comments on Marat’s "hotheadedness" were pretty incisive and understanding, almost to the point of avuncular!

In any case, Marat is smart and adaptable, as masha pointed out, and will learn the ropes as he goes along, helped by his existing friends in business and politics, who seem genuinely supportive of him and presumably his (so far honourable) aims.

I also don’t remember him saying anything definitive about the Kazan tournament.

Quote:

There are also other forces at work in Russian politics - like personal enrichment - which can be a fairly strong motivating force for those politicians whom Marat would be interacting with. From the outside, Russian politics looks like an interplay of "powerful friends". Sure, Marat understands the necessity of cultivating "powerful friends" in that environment - his tennis association with Sharpi shows that - but what is it that the "powerful friends" would want of him?
Again, I don’t think Marat is a particularly ripe subject for exploitation, he’s far too shrewd and surely cannot be blind to the nature of Russian politics, or the structure of power. He also strikes me as a man of too much dignity and integrity to trade business favours as a matter of course. Somehow I can’t imagine the words “the ends justify the means” ever escaping his lips, although of course I could be wrong.

Quote:

Getting the votes in for a particular political party doesn't seem to be a problem - for whatever reason - in the Russian Federation. So, it would not be Marat's electoral popularity (however much of that he has) that would get him the support of other politicians for whatever he might be seeking to accomplish by entering the political fray.
For sure, popularity per se is insufficient to secure the necessary political support or will to get projects off the ground, and again I don’t imagine Marat is so naďve to think otherwise for one moment. I see his “entering the political fray” as a sign of his determination to keep Russian tennis afloat and to ensure its development for future generations.

At any rate, I’m sure we’ll hear soon enough from the man himself in an interview.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #4405
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #4406
country flag Roseisarose

Roseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond reputeRoseisarose has a reputation beyond repute

What do politicians want from Marat? Perhaps someone from Russia could better explain why so many prominent athletes and entertainers become affiliated with the United Russia party. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I see Russian celebrities basically being used as mascots for the United Russia party. In simplistic terms, it's a way of bolstering the image of the party. It's also a way of silencing and/or controlling celebrities, whose fame, money, and power grants them a voice that can actually be heard by the public.

Off the top of my head, I can think of Svetlana Khorkina, Alina Kabaeva, and a famous prima ballerina whose name escapes me at the moment. There are plenty of others. Then of course, there are celebrities who are affiliated with the party because of their families, like Ksenia Sobchak and Polina Deripaska, who is not exactly an entertainer, but owns several popular fashion/gossip magazines. And it's a well-known fact that most oligarchs have strong ties with the party, even if they made their fortune independently of formerly government-owned resources.

In short, celebrities and powerful businessmen are very connected with politics in Russia, and not in the way that, say, in the USA a billionaire will fund a political cause or a movie star will endorse a presidential candidate. It's a lot more deeply embedded than that. Incidentally, Marat is on friendly terms with a lot of these people, which makes sense. He is famous and wealthy, who else is he going to associate with? A lot of them must be cool, interesting people. But to actively dip your feet into politics is another matter for me. It's like he's selling his soul to Putin.

He is already financially secure and has great connections, so what will he get from it? Perhaps it is the ability to get projects off the ground. That may well be his (very honorable)objective, but is he planning on just turning a blind eye to all the other bulls--- he's signing on for? He is writing off his ability to ever exercise any form of critique of or resistance to the government. Or in the very least, he is giving away his right to continue as he's done so far, and keep his political beliefs out of the public eye. Some people here argue that his decision to enter politics doesn't say anything about his political convictions. I sure hope that's the case. But let's face it, just the act of registering as a candidate speaks volumes about either his a) stupendous naivete b) indifference to the dirty politics of the party, or c) political beliefs that align with the party.
Roseisarose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #4407
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

Hello safinettes,

it appears that Ihave not posted on our forums in several weeks, so I thought I'd take a few moments to share my opinion on this.

I don't care Marat having a gf (especially a blonde one as we know the blond ones aren't for real with Marat ), I don't really mind him going into politics (), who knows... but Marat rooting for Putin &co, that's just sick. *insert vomit smiley*

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/

Last edited by luxsword : 06-28-2011 at 06:19 PM.
luxsword is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #4408
country flag stzenit

stzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond reputestzenit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
H when I don't live in what to most observers has become increasingly more Putinesque(as in totalitarian)
Most of those observers have little understanding of Russia and would prefer someone like Yeltsin back in power. In no way has Russia become more totalitarian under Putin, the 90's was just awful under Yeltsin it actually sickened me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxsword View Post
but Marat rooting for Putin &co, that's just sick. *insert vomit smiley*
How is that sick? Most of the population support United Russia, Safin himself knows that when he left Russia in the 90's it was the equivalent of hell, During Putin’s Presidency, poverty rates dropped from 44% in 2000 to 12% and wages tripled, fueling an on-going consumption boom shared across all regions and social groups. 64% of Russians think Putin has had a positive influence on democracy and human rights, while only 3% think it was ‘very negative.

Marat Safin Matches Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaratSafinVideos2
stzenit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #4409
country flag mikomonstr

mikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond reputemikomonstr has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of very interesting points in all of the above statements; I shall stay out of all until Marat needs the popular vote from the Men's Tennis Forum. Just let me know where I can cast my vote, and where I can pick up one of those nifty little "I Voted Today" pins.
mikomonstr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #4410
country flag little_masha

little_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stzenit View Post
Most of those observers have little understanding of Russia and would prefer someone like Yeltsin back in power. In no way has Russia become more totalitarian under Putin, the 90's was just awful under Yeltsin it actually sickened me.

How is that sick? Most of the population support United Russia, Safin himself knows that when he left Russia in the 90's it was the equivalent of hell, During Putin’s Presidency, poverty rates dropped from 44% in 2000 to 12% and wages tripled, fueling an on-going consumption boom shared across all regions and social groups. 64% of Russians think Putin has had a positive influence on democracy and human rights, while only 3% think it was ‘very negative.
Good point, Stzenit!

I,too, wanted to write something like this yesterday, when Putin started being invoked around here as the supreme demonical creature who's gona suck Marat's soul & all, but I thought that, since I'm not Russian, nor leaving in Russia, it would be easily dismissed.

Without wanting to insult anyone in here, I'd like to say that it never ceasses to amaze me who so many Westerners seem to live with the impression that whatever their government tells them about Russia (past or present) is the absolute truth!

Comrades, it's not! Move on!
little_masha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote