News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 253 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #3781
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

If there are any Frenchies around: anyone heard what Nelson was saying to Marat during Fed/Stan's match? I think I heard "Coubertin" and "in October". But Chamoumou and Arnaud were talking about the Trophée des Légendes at the same time so I didn't get what this event at the Coubertin stadium was about and if Marat would be there or what

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #3782
country flag Krikry

Krikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond reputeKrikry has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard he's going to play in October The Trophée des Légendes

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" Eric Cantona
Krikry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #3783
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica87 View Post
don't know if this is relevant but wind, a member on vamosbrigade.com, watched Marat giving an interview earlier today:

I just woke up, turned on the TV, and 2 minutes later this interview was on. Unfortunately, my DVD I was recording had run out a couple hours earlier, so I didn't get it. Maybe someone out there recorded it and can put it on youtube or something.
smitty8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #3784
country flag JenAnn

JenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond reputeJenAnn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8 View Post
I just woke up, turned on the TV, and 2 minutes later this interview was on. Unfortunately, my DVD I was recording had run out a couple hours earlier, so I didn't get it. Maybe someone out there recorded it and can put it on youtube or something.
I think it's the video I posted yesterday in the "all the videos and audio of Marat" thread.
JenAnn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #3785
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luly75 View Post
here is an interview with marat at roland garros, in el pais a spanish newspaper

http://translate.google.com/translat...s&tl=en&swap=1
Great itw, luly. Any Spanish speakers want to render this into intelligible English for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratsmaiden View Post
I was fortunate to literally turn on the TV/FO about 3 minutes b/f the interview, and recorded it I was going to upload the video for you all when I had a few minutes - probably tomorrow if you all want to see it
Yes, please! I'm not sure but is it the same one JenAnn posted in the vid thread?

Btw apparently Marat was at the Roger/Stan match (which I missed), so who knows, he might be watching Nadal/Bellucci which is about to start.

Tweeted by iKlimt:

Quote:

You missed Marat! He's looking A.W.E.S.O.M.E in Black : ) watching RF's match. And a sign in the crowd ''Marat forever''^_^
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #3786
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

From Izvestia:

Quote:
Ask a question of tennis player Marat Safin!

In the coming days Izvestia will organize a "hot line" with one of the best tennis players in Russian history, Grand Slam champion and twice winner of the Davis Cup for Russia, Marat Safin.

Our readers can ask questions of the famous athlete on the phone the Department of Sports (495) 645-61-26 or by e-mail sport@izvestia.ru. The author of the best question will receive the Olympic postcard autographed by the famous tennis player.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #3787
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post

Yes, please! I'm not sure but is it the same one JenAnn posted in the vid thread?
Heidi! it was the same one... that's why I didn't bother posting it... Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that sooner .
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #3788
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratsmaiden View Post
Heidi! it was the same one... that's why I didn't bother posting it ...
Well dang it, Sherri I guess we're all too quick on the draw in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post
I think I heard "Coubertin" and "in October". But Chamoumou and Arnaud were talking about the Trophée des Légendes at the same time so I didn't get what this event at the Coubertin stadium was about and if Marat would be there or what
Could this be the tourney at Coubertin? http://www.tropheejeanluclagardere.com/

Btw 45 people viewing!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #3789
country flag Alya_C

Alya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great itw, luly. Any Spanish speakers want to render this into intelligible English for us?
Here you are

Quote:
"The hardest thing is being alone"
JUAN JOSÉ MATEO - Paris - 30/05/2010

Marat Safin (Moscow, Russia, 1980), former world number one shows up on Philippe Chatrier as a magnet: the now vice-president of the Russian Federation and Olympic Committee member for his country, draws all eyes to him while talking to this daily.

Question. Who can beat Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros?

Reply. It's very complicated. Everyone knows that it is almost an impossible mission. You can only beat him in the first rounds. When he reaches the quarterfinals or semifinals it's impossible. There he is a machine. Then, well ... they have to run! To suffer! They must try at least!

Q. Are you happy to no longer be the one who runs and who suffers?

R. It's different. Now I have another kind of stress. Yes, I have time to think, to relax, to talk and to not be alone. On the court you're alone. That is the hardest part. You are away all year, with your team, but it's all the same because at the end of the day you are still alone. It's complicated.

P. You won two Grand Slams and two Davis Cups, but you left the feeling that you could have won much more. What would have happened if you had taken more care of yourself or if you had played less?

P. I was unlucky. I got injured a lot. I would play a year and then I get injured the next. I reached the number one in Miami 2001. The ATP forced me to play because if I didn't I wouldn't get the bonus (cash for entering as a top 10 in the Masters). I was 20. It was a million and a half dollars. If I don't play a Masters I lose 30%. Two and I lose 60%. Three, I get no money. For me that was a lot of money, because you never know what will happen in the future. Who reads this might say: 'What a moneysucker!'. But, no. I'm not a moneysucker at all! But I was 20, I came from having nothing and I couldn't say no. And anyone who says it is an hypocrite. 'I don't take the money because health is more important?' It's true, but put yourselves in my place and don't make that decision. I'd like to see it. You would be hypocrites.

P. How is Marat as a person?

R. People are usually very wrong about me. A lot. A person when speaking is different (from playing). It's impossible. People must not judge a book by it's cover. They make an opinion without knowing the person.

P. Female russian tennis players say your mother was very hard as a coach.

R. She demanded a lot. But all the same, that was the only way. Dementieva has a spectacular career, Myskina good, my sister (Dinara, former world number one), me ... maybe at times she was a bit too much, but it worked. She'd hit me sometimes to get me in shape, but that's normal. It's difficult to separate when you are training from when you're at home, make a division. You are together 24 hours a day, she's your coach, your mother. It's difficult. And you get tired of that person: she of me, I of her.

P. Yout friend Davydenko won the 2009 Masters Cup and said: "I will celebrate it with my wife. I'm not Safin. He'd go to bed with three women!"

R. Well, thanks for the advertising. I think he would also like to do that. We have to celebrate! Let him bring his wife!

P. "The Spaniards work. We Russians enjoy life."

R. I never said that. The boom that created what Spain is in recent years, with everything, fashion, design, tourism, construction, house buying ... now in all business sectors in the main markets there are Spaniards. They won the European Championship. Look at Telefónica (Spanish major communications company), they cover all of South America! The Spaniards have balance, they know how to work and play. We Russians have another balance, but more extreme: we work more and we enjoy more!

P. Why do the Spanish players succeed?

R. Because they are hardworkers. The coaches learned a lot in recent years, they opened to the world, they are showing themselves. Before they all played alike: they were just claycourters, and that was the end of it. They would never come to the net, and that was it. Second serve throughout the entire match. Not now! Now they dominate the sport: Nadal, Ferrero, Ferrer, Verdasco, Montanes, Lopez ... and it continues. They are hardworkers, they interact, they learn because they communicate. They like to improve.

P. Is that why you went to train in Valencia?

R. Things were very bad (in Russia). I wanted to train, to work. Now Russian kids they have no time for anything: they spend all their time in traffic, it's all very complicated for them, we must make it easier. The country is too big! You have up to nine hours in flights. You can get all the talent you want. And that's my job.

P. What did you lose trying to climb the Himalayas?

R. It was a time in my life when I wanted to stop. Things were going in some direction, but I didn't know where. It's not that I wanted to meditate, listen to Buddha and be tranquil. No. My friends were going to the Himalayas and I wanted to go with them. I told them, 'I won't bother you, I'll follow you with my backpack, and that's it'. I was there a few weeks, quietly for a change of scenery. I didn't want to go to the sea, sit myself under a palm tree. I wanted something different, a new experience. Why not? I had never been to Nepal, to Tibet. Beautiful, beautiful.

P. Did you have a hard time to replace the adrenaline of competition?

R. I don't have a problem: I already found myself. I like what I do. I love it. I can create, I do things for the children of the federation and, seriously, I like it. I was afraid to stay a long time without working when I retired. I work for the Government, let's say. It is not a position of carrying papers back and forth. I have to make decisions, which is what I like, to talk with high-level people. I have to create results. I can't go to the office without being prepared, I have to take care of me, I can't go with circles under my eyes. I have to take care of myself!

P. Federer has lost 14 of 21 matches against Nadal. With that can he be considered as the best of all time?

R. That's another level. Federer has all the qualities. One like him comes once every 100 years. It will be another 100 years until you see another Federer. You can't improve him. My mind is not enough to think of another person that could physically be able to play at the same level.

P. Do you feel that you were a wasted genius?

R. No. There are many persons who could have been better than what they were. People talk, but when you get on court it is not that easy to win. The experience that I had was amazing, the mistakes were very good to learn, I had good and bad things happening to me ... but I am here, happy with what I am. I can't say I had a bad career. If I had gotten more, maybe I would still be playing. I'm proud of what I'm doing for the sport. To me that is more interesting than playing.

Last edited by Alya_C : 05-31-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Alya_C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #3790
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikry View Post
I've heard he's going to play in October The Trophée des Légendes
Nope, Trophée des Légendes is during RG. Nelson asked him if he'd play this tournament one day and Marat answered he was too young (he has to be 35 at least) but would definitely do stuff like that. And then Nelson said Coubertin, october...

Quote:
Could this be the tourney at Coubertin? http://www.tropheejeanluclagardere.com/
Yeah I thought it might be the Lagardère trophy, which usually takes place in Autumn, but I didn't remember where and forgot to check. Thanks for the link. I do hope he said he'd play. Pfff for once Nelson was asking something interesting, couldn't they just shut up so we could enjoy every moment of it

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #3791
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
Here you are
Alya, fantastic translation, thank you so much. This is riveting stuff.

Quote:

Interviewer: Did you have a hard time to replace the adrenaline of competition?

Safin: I don't have a problem. I already found myself. I like what I do. I love it. I can create, I do things for the children of the federation and, seriously, I like it. I was afraid to stay a long time without working when I retired. I work for the Government, let's say. It is not a position of carrying papers back and forth. I have to make decisions, which is what I like, to talk with high-level people. I have to create results. I can't go to the office without being prepared, I have to take care of me, I can't go with circles under my eyes. I have to take care of myself!
It sounds like Marat is in his element and has found his vocation. But I suspect he could party for 48 hours and still (annoyingly) look fresh as a daisy the next morning.

Quote:

Interviewer: Female russian tennis players say your mother was very hard as a coach.

Safin: She demanded a lot. But all the same, that was the only way. Dementieva has a spectacular career, Myskina good, my sister (Dinara, former world number one), me ... maybe at times she was a bit too much, but it worked. She'd hit me sometimes to get me in shape, but that's normal. It's difficult to separate when you are training from when you're at home, make a division. You are together 24 hours a day, she's your coach, your mother. It's difficult. And you get tired of that person: she of me, I of her.
For some reason, I'm not surprised to hear him come out with this info. But by what norms is that normal?!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #3792
country flag Remy

Remy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond reputeRemy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interview..

Reading all that is making me miss Mawat for some reason. Miss watching him play..
Remy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #3793
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya_C View Post
Here you are
Obrigado
И жизнь, и слезы, и любовь.
AnnieNik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #3794
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

For some reason, I'm not surprised to hear him come out with this info. But by what norms is that normal?!
well, it really depends on how you define "hit". I used to get the occasional spankings and a bit of the bamboo cane for disciplinary purposes. That's considered normal in most Asian societies. But I guess in some countries, trying to discipline your child (within limits of course) is considered abuse
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #3795
country flag Alya_C

Alya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond reputeAlya_C has a reputation beyond repute

The spanish phrase that he used 'me pegaba' means 'would hit me' as in giving a couple of slaps. That was considered a normal child disciplinarian method in Mediterranean countries about 20 years ago. I guessed it was the same in Russia
Alya_C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote