News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 202 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #3016
country flag momo_momo

momo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Masha masha! Hello! Hello! Missed you! AnnieNik promised a decent translation, we'll be getting it soon hopefully

How're you getting on with life?
momo_momo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #3017
country flag SheLikesToDisco

SheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond reputeSheLikesToDisco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennis.com/features/gener...aspx?id=189464
Quote:
Exit Strategy: Q&A With Marat Safin

By Tom Perrotta

Safin was 20 years old when he defeated Pete Sampras in straight sets in the 2000 U.S. Open final.

Though at times this year his play has been underwhelming, the ever enigmatic and entertaining Marat Safin has been able to use his 2009 campaign as an opportunity to say goodbye to the world of professional tennis. We sat down with the two-time major champ the day before the start of this year’s U.S. Open, where Safin, the 2000 titlist, lost in the first round. Safin, 29, held forth on topics ranging from the tour, his career, his ego, the mountains, religion, marriage, children—everything except kickboxing. Here’s part one of the interview; check back tomorrow, October 22, for part two.

What did you want from your last season?
Marat Safin: First of all, you need to enjoy because it's been 12 years on tour. Some people they continue playing more than 12 years, they like it so much. I just realized that it was starting to get tougher and tougher, all the things, to travel and to play and to practice, and having matches and to travel again. It got too heavy for me, so I decided to move on to something different, something else. I think it's the right decision and I don't regret anything. Just to enjoy the last year, nice atmosphere around the courts, not to forget this feeling.

Has the farewell tour been what you expected, then?
MS: I thought it would be a little bit slightly different, all these feelings toward the tournaments. It's a little bit different, different from what I thought—it's difficult to explain. The feeling that I thought I would get from coming back for the last time to the tournaments, I don't get this particular feeling that I was hoping to get. But of course it's nice, it's nice to know that it's over—last time [at the U.S. Open], last time in L.A., last time in Cincinnati—just enjoy it. I don't want to have any more stress.

Everyone knows Safin the pro. Not as many people know where you came from. How would you describe it?
MS: [i] started from zero, from scratch, no money—not a beautiful story coming from the Soviet Union that had been stuck for 70 years with communism. There was no cash, nothing to play with, no racquets, no balls, it was terrible and not really simple to break through. I was lucky that some of the sponsors appeared in Moscow, they were trying to break into the Russian market. They just took care of me without any questions, they just gave me the money and hoped for a breakthrough.

Your mother started you in tennis. Was there a lot of pressure on you?
MS: There was no pressure, how can you have pressure? To get better at what? There is no chance to break through anywhere. No one believed in something, that [we] would end up playing tournaments and winning the Grand Slam—nobody even thought about it, not even close. In the 90s we broke the wall, so basically the first trips to normal, decent countries was in the 90s. How do you expect someone who saw maybe Wimbledon 30 minutes a day would be here?

Was the 1998 French Open a big moment for you? [Safin made the fourth round as an 18-year-old.] Was that a point when you realized you could go places?
MS: I realized a little bit earlier, when I became Top 200 after three months. I'd been traveling on the Challengers, which was something new. I was stuck in the satellites. My sponsor dropped me. So actually I got some money from IMG, they supported me for three or four months. I was ranked 460 in the world and then I ended up the year Top 200. So then I realized I had some game, I just need to develop it, and I need to work on it and I can manage to get somewhere near Top 100 and then we will see. But I never expected to be Top 50 at all.

What happened when you got there?
MS: Appetite comes with food. When you are Top 50, you want to see what will be the next step. I'd like to get Top 40, Top 30, closer, closer. You realize that you're a pretty good tennis player and you just hang in there and see how long you're going to stay there.

Was your 2000 U.S. Open victory over Pete Sampras a curse as much as a blessing?
MS: It was unexpected for me in the first place, because I didn't think that I would get close to the finals, and to go to the finals and beat Sampras on his home ground—I don't think so. And then I ended up in the situation where I was fighting for No. 1 in the world and I made it. I was kind of struggling—you know, what's next? I won a Grand Slam, I ended up No. 1 in the world, I never in my life would have dreamed about it and I made it. I was like, '"Game over." I achieved everything I wanted, what's next?' It's difficult when you're 20 years old to understand what you want and what you're aiming at. And also it was a problem that there wasn’t a real person who could guide me. I was guessing; I was a little bit stubborn. But anyway, for good or for bad, I did what I did, and I don't really actually regret. I probably would approach the situation slightly different [now], but that's okay. I would never exchange my life for anybody else's life. I'm grateful and I'm lucky and I'm blessed for the experiences I had throughout my life, and I would never, ever change my life.

Official Apprentice and Fashion Stylist of The Domik of Dinara Disciples
SheLikesToDisco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #3018
country flag momo_momo

momo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond reputemomo_momo has a reputation beyond repute

I almost forgot his sponsor dropped him. Thank goodness Marat was persevering.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #3019
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the interview Maz! Can't wait for part 2..

Love how he said he "realized he had some game"
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #3020
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has the farewell tour been what you expected, then?
MS: I thought it would be a little bit slightly different, all these feelings toward the tournaments. It's a little bit different, different from what I thought—it's difficult to explain. The feeling that I thought I would get from coming back for the last time to the tournaments, I don't get this particular feeling that I was hoping to get. But of course it's nice, it's nice to know that it's over—last time [at the U.S. Open], last time in L.A., last time in Cincinnati—just enjoy it. I don't want to have any more stress.
I wonder what exactly he means by this. Happy? Sad? A sense of closure? Interesting interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo_momo View Post
I counted the number of Top 50 players Marat has beaten althroughout 2009, and it seems that there are 3, respectively Philipp Petzschner, Fernando Gonzalez and Nikolay Davydenko. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Hoping for more to come, especially Bercy. We're up 15/19 in singles as of today's win.
It's correct - all in the last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratsmaiden View Post
I agree momo - while we are all rooting for the same person (and that helps) - none of us ever bash other players, or bash each other if we like any other players.

the GM makes me think that 90% of them don't play, watch and/or understand tennis at all, which is really strange since they're all chatting on a tennis forum.
I think most GM posters only like 1 player and hate all the others, and seem to really get off on starting fights and filling every results thread with how the match loser is a mug who should retire. I just ignore most of them. I don't come on here to fight with people and don't have the energy to do so.
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #3021
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM View Post
I wonder what exactly he means by this. Happy? Sad? A sense of closure? Interesting interview.
this point was very interesting - finally something we haven't heard before . I took it to mean that he felt early in the year that he would be nostalgic at every 'last tournament' and just didn't feel it - in reality he was ready to move on from each tournament/city when it was his time, and that kind of surprised him. He said that during the on court ceremony in China that he didn't get 'excited' or whatever - I think he's just so resigned to leaving that he's not even getting emotional about it - no matter the city or what they do for him. just my 2 cents!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #3022
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo_momo View Post
AnnieNik promised a decent translation, we'll be getting it soon hopefully
When did I promise that? I was in Moscow and didn't even know about this interview until few minutes ago. I promised to translate Rauza's interview, which I did.
И жизнь, и слезы, и любовь.
AnnieNik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #3023
country flag momo_momo

Oops, sorry. I made a mistake there, I see.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #3024
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

Part 2 of the Tennis.com Q&A

http://www.tennis.com/features/gener...aspx?id=189494

Quote:
Exit Strategy: Q&A With Marat Safin (Part 2)

Tell me about the Himalayan hike. Are you going to go again sometime?
MS: It's a little bit funny that people paid so much attention to that. I'm not going into space. I bought the ticket, I went to Himalaya, I had fun with my friends, that's it. I never thought it would make such a big noise—all the people, 'Wow, you went to Himalaya?' Yeah, well, buy the ticket, the ticket costs 600 bucks, you get your ass on the plane, and you go there. You spend two thousand dollars on the whole trip, even less. Thousand, it's enough. Don't be so, 'Oh how is it, how was that?' Get on the plane and spend two weeks of your time, just go there. A lot of people, they just talk, but they don't really do things.

So you’ll be doing a lot of traveling next year?
MS: Yeah, I will, I like it, why not? We travel only to tournaments—we don't see much of the world, even though we've been everywhere, we don't see anything except hotels and tennis courts.

Does that get annoying?
MS: We get paid pretty well, so [smiles]. That's our job.

You used to travel with a kickboxing champ?
MS: Well, let's skip this part, OK?

When you got to Wimbledon this year you had no racquets. What happened?
MS: Yeah, well, I forgot them in the airport. It happens. So I had to send.

You’ve been a pro for 12 years. How has it been different than you thought it might be?
MS: Actually, you go through phases. First, everything is new, it's interesting—you are enjoying the ride and the results they come easily. Second part, of course, is when you try to maintain yourself and the third part is basically the downhill, but you know it's not going to last long and you just need to enjoy as much as you can and stick around and see what happens and prepare your last year.

Who were some of your most difficult opponents?
MS: [Fabrice] Santoro was tough for me to play against, any of the guys with really great hands who could read my game.

Some of your favorites?
MS: [Roger] Federer of course because he can do anything he wants with the ball. He makes you play all different kinds of shots, slices, high balls, slow balls, low balls, topspin—you cannot really get a grip on the ball, which makes it complicated. You are out of rhythm all the time.

Would you have retired last year if you had won the Kremlin Cup?
MS: I kind of did, but then I got an offer and I couldn't really refuse it [from his manager]. A lot of people don't believe that I'm going to retire this year, but I can assure you, I've decided, yes, it's enough.

Your win over Federer in the semis at the 2005 Australian Open: Would you rate that match as more important than your victory over Sampras at the U.S. Open? [Safin went on to beat Lleyton Hewitt in the final.]
MS: I think it was probably the biggest match, but it was a different year, different circumstances, different time of career. I achieved the first Grand Slam, and the second Grand Slam, a lot of people were expecting it. “Is he going to win another one or not, or just stick with one and not do much about it?” So for me it was very important to win the second one—it was important for my ego. I had to go through tough moments, I had two finals before I won the Australian, and playing against Federer, of course—look at him now, he's the best player in the history of tennis. To play against him is not really easy, especially if he's in the semifinals it means that he's playing well, he's in perfect timing, perfect condition.

What are you going to do with your life after tennis?
MS: I have things to do, but I don't want to share.

You're not going to run a tennis academy, are you?
MS: No, something outside of tennis, but definitely something that will bring money. Why not? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense, otherwise it's a hobby and it's not as fun as work or doing something productive for which you get appreciated.

You are Muslim. Are you religious?
MS: Everybody’s got to believe in something. I'm not a fanatic, that's for sure.

Is the rumor true that you are engaged?
MS: No, no it's not true, not true. I don't really believe in marriage, but never say never. I just don't think marriage is for me.

What about kids?
MS: Of course, kids, but you don’t have to be married. Kids I would love to, as many as I can.

Would you raise them to play tennis?
MS: Definitely not, something more—something different. From what I see, kids from ex tennis players, nobody really plays good tennis, so it's not gonna happen. Either they don't play tennis or if they play, they're pretty bad players. So why destroy my kid if he can do something good and something different that I'll be excited to see, instead of coming to tennis and seeing my son or daughter suffer on the court?

Will you play exhibitions?
MS: Of course, it will take me some time to get out of it, to enjoy a little bit my life, but definitely, of course, I'll come back to play some senior events, just to keep my butt in shape and remember the good times.

How many months off do you plan to take?
MS: I think six months is pretty—it's enough. And then you need to start to move, to move a little.
I see his view on marriage hasn't changed much. This part of the interview was pretty funny.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #3025
country flag momo_momo

Haha you were first. Was to post it too.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #3026
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

Love this interview! Thanks for posting.. Saw this funny tidbit on the Gulbis forum.. Marat was mentioned in a article about the "swedish incident" in a Canadian paper.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1332261/

Quote:
Needless to say, there has been endless chatter on internet tennis sites about the Gulbis incident in Stockholm, with one of the most amusing comments referencing two of the sports best-known Casanovas, Marat Safin and Carlos Moya. It read, “Doesn’t the ATP have some kind of mentoring program. I would have thought that on day one, someone (Marat? Moya?) would have pulled Ernie over to the side, slung an arm over his shoulder, and schooled him on these matters. Oh well, I just hope Ernie at least had the sense not to try to pay with a credit card.”
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #3027
country flag momo_momo

I wonder what he'd actually tell Ernie.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #3028
country flag KarlyM

That would be an interesting mentoring program.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #3029
country flag :Zaz:

:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute:Zaz: has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM View Post
Quote:
Would you have retired last year if you had won the Kremlin Cup?
MS: I kind of did, but then I got an offer and I couldn't really refuse it
Every time he says this - it makes me think of this

Thanks for the articles Karly M
:Zaz: is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #3030
country flag maratsmaiden

maratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond reputemaratsmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

ha! me too!!!