News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #16
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marat news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Tommy Haas View Post
maybe some people here know him better than you think.

edit: i don't mean myself, don't get me wrong.
LOL! it's evident that there are PLENTY of people here who THINK they know him better than I think....sadly, their comments frequently indicate the opposite.Although I think your concerns are valid I personally do not think Marat IS stupid enough to take on something very much beyond him, and I'm sick of the tone of so many posts which are deeply insulting to Marat, in my opinion. I don't presume to 'know' or understand WHY he has decided to do it - I just think that he obviously needed to get away from Tennis and the howling 'fans' and if he IS using the opportunity to think about or make decisions on his future, well, good for him, and whatever he decides to do, I would express support and encouragement - but that's obviously my twisted notion of what 'supporting' someone is about!)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
country flag Balaenopteramusculus

Balaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond reputeBalaenopteramusculus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
wow, so she went as a total "beginner". every tried climbing mont blanc?
Nope but am reading now blog written by some 47 years old guy,normal tourist without any experience in climbing high mountains( hiking only in Sudety,Beskidy and Tatra mountains before) who climbed Mt Blanc so i guess it's not that difficult.
Balaenopteramusculus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
country flag Mrs Tommy Haas

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.7summits.ru/index.php3?id...ction=showfull

i can't stop giggling when i see it. i'm sorry, it's so surreal!
Mrs Tommy Haas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Mora View Post
One dimensionality exists only in theory as a mathematical value.
As for the rest of the quote...
And your POINT is???..oh, obviously you don't have one
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
LOL! it's evident that there are PLENTY of people here who THINK they know him better than I think....sadly, their comments frequently indicate the opposite.Although I think your concerns are valid I personally do not think Marat IS stupid enough to take on something very much beyond him, and I'm sick of the tone of so many posts which are deeply insulting to Marat, in my opinion. I don't presume to 'know' or understand WHY he has decided to do it - I just think that he obviously needed to get away from Tennis and the howling 'fans' and if he IS using the opportunity to think about or make decisions on his future, well, good for him, and whatever he decides to do, I would express support and encouragement - but that's obviously my twisted notion of what 'supporting' someone is about!)
how about refraining from knowing other posters better than you think ? look, let's stop judging other people's judgment or definition of 'supporting', or i can just foresee major editing by our beloved moderator...
everyone's entitled to think marat's acting stupid, or great, or worry like mad, or think it'll be a piece of cake, or a bit of all of this and more... let's just let everyone speak their mind, as long as noone here wishes marat evil (and that's not bound to happen here, right), what's the point of stirring a fuss

peace, i said

(Romeo and Juliet, II.ii)
Comic relief >>> http://english.bouletcorp.com/
luxsword is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #21
country flag luxsword

luxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond reputeluxsword has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://www.7summits.ru/index.php3?id...ction=showfull

i can't stop giggling when i see it. i'm sorry, it's so surreal!
thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #22
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braune_Lady View Post
I don't know if you guys are aware of it but there is a climbing season, just like there is a tennis season - the best time to go hiking in Nepal and Tibet is mid-September to late October since the weather is the most predictable in this period (not that that means very much...). So unless you want him to get stuck on a frigging mountain, give him credit for sensible planning at least.

I think the whole climbing business is really cool - completely, utterly, totally unprofessional tennis-wise but really cool nevertheless. I hope he has a blast, extends his personal limits, finds some inner Zen and showers before he steps back into civilization
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin View Post
davai lama
the Satinette in me really likes that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin View Post
probably. the mountain climbing boots are pretty tough, rigid stuff though, so it might give some support as well. please correct me if I'm wrong.
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
It was just a joke. Doesn't have to be factual. Lots of humour on this forum are not based on all facts anyway.

Well, I know that in reality climbing up Cho Oyu is no joke. But if I were Marat, I'd have done the same thing. Why not? Ok, it's not professional tennis-wise like many have said. But instead of just toiling meaninglessly on the mundane tennis courts for another two months (I think everybody agrees here that he's not going to win every single match and sweep all the titles this fall anyway), Marat is doing something that will contribute to his lifetime experience. Dangerous yes. And it might affect his physique as a tennis player afterwards. But Marat is a person before he's a tennis player. So... I'm happy for him. And this proves to me that Marat is almost by nature a somewhat Byronic figure I always thought he is.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossi View Post
Because if he dies, he is SO into the HOF
I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria_marie View Post
I really hope he's gonna stay at the camp at the foot of the mountain and not climb the mountain because he's never done such a thing. In such expeditions rarely do all the members of the group climb the mountain so I hope he has some brain left and decides to stay at the camp to guard the luggage and keep in touch with the civilization
Yeah, he canceled almost 3 months of tournaments to stay down there while the rest of the group go through an experience they'll never forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
I like this one better http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/sawyer

( steph, is it you singing? "I lived in a cave" )

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #23

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post

I mean

Yeah, he canceled almost 3 months of tournaments to stay down there while the rest of the group go through an experience they'll never forget.
Why don't you inform yourself? It is very uncommon for all group members to make it to the actual summit. sometimes none of the members makes it to the summit. it's called a successful expedition if one single member makes it up there. again, i think many people here have no understanding of the alpine sport, that's ok, but don't ridicule people when they are right about that sport. it's as if somebody said "professional tennis players always get their first serve in"
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
country flag luxsword

peace

Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #25
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
My bottom line is that, this whole thing is what he does in his private life. My objection to this expedition is that he's irresponsible to the tourneys he has committed himself to for the rest of the season, because that effects a lot of parties involved, and it is his actions in the public arena that we can criticize. Apart from that, nobody knows what goes behind the closed door. So, simply, I think we should just leave him alone.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxsword View Post
anyone else wondering how come there's no thread about this in GM ?
i mean,they talk a bit about it in the russia vs germany thread, but you'd think some safin bashers would already have written 3 times more than us here about it, right ?
Most people think his season is over anyway, so whether it's over because he'll continue losing in first rounds or because he is away, same difference for most ppl.
He played like crap all year, he didn't seem motivated at all in his last match, so why bother? As much as I regret he'll withdraw from everywhere (Bercy ), things weren't going anywhere so if this can change him, boost him, etc, i say go Marat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
What amazes me about this forum, which is supposedly frequented by people who claim to have 'supported' or been a 'fan' or 'follower' or whatever you want to call yourseleves, of Marat for 'X' amount of years show so LITTLE FAITH in him and his ability as a person to make whatever life choices he sees fit. I am not only referring to THIS quote, by the way, and I really can't be bothered trawling through all the dross for further examples, but there have been too many.

So, where do YOU, or anyone else on this forum get the right to pour so much judgemental scorn on someone you imagine you admire and respect..oh, sorry - admiration and respect are in pretty poor supply in my opinion based on observing this forum for only a few short months.

Marat Safin is an adult who is perfectly capable of making his own decisions about what he can or cannot do; He has taken on a task which PLENTY of other people have done and will continue to do. YES there is an elemant of risk - but crossing the road is risky - and do you know that most accidents happen in the home? He is on a professional tour run and supplied by professionals - he obviously has been planning this for months - he's not just thrown a backpack on and taken off into the hills. I fully respect and admire Marat in his choice - he WILL have a fantastic experience and whatever motivated him to go, I beleive he will ultimately benefit from the experience - "ultimately senseless"? to YOU, maybe - not to Marat.

As far as 'what has Marat to think about' - do you REALLY believe he is as one-dimensional as that?? if you think that what you observe of Marat tells anything like the whole story....LOL!

As for his career - it's his LIFE - he has dedicated himself to his career since he was sent off at 14 - if he wants to quit and do something completely different - ????? who says he can't or shouldn't - really, people, get a grip !! Marat is a human being not your own personal entertainment system - and I'm so glad that he is doing what he's doing because HE WANTS TO.
Although I really hate how you said it (like you said, you've been here for a few months, while it took some of us years to know each others like we do. Don't judge without knowing, thank you ), I totally agree that it's his decision, and he's an adult, and it's really giving him little credit (yet again, that wouldn't be the first time ) to go all "this is insane, he's gonna kill himself, blahblahblah".
It's a rather unique experience, maybe not the best moment to do it since he's still a pro player (as far as we know ), but he's not happy with tennis lately it's obvious, so if needs to get some air and make a radical change to find himself again, we should just hope he'll come back in a better state of mind and motivated.

And to the people here who think it's a stupid decision and he shouldn't have done this: he's gone! he's there already, you can't change that. And actually even if he hadn't left yet and you were here praying for him to cancel the whole thing, he wouldn't give a f*ck, would he? Get over it, and wait for his return

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damita View Post
Agreed

Most people think his season is over anyway, so whether it's over because he'll continue losing in first rounds or because he is away, same difference for most ppl.
He played like crap all year, he didn't seem motivated at all in his last match, so why bother? As much as I regret he'll withdraw from everywhere (Bercy ), things weren't going anywhere so if this can change him, boost him, etc, i say go Marat!

Although I really hate how you said it (like you said, you've been here for a few months, while it took some of us years to know each others like we do. Don't judge without knowing, thank you ), I totally agree that it's his decision, and he's an adult, and it's really giving him little credit (yet again, that wouldn't be the first time ) to go all "this is insane, he's gonna kill himself, blahblahblah".
It's a rather unique experience, maybe not the best moment to do it since he's still a pro player (as far as we know ), but he's not happy with tennis lately it's obvious, so if needs to get some air and make a radical change to find himself again, we should just hope he'll come back in a better state of mind and motivated.

And to the people here who think it's a stupid decision and he shouldn't have done this: he's gone! he's there already, you can't change that. And actually even if he hadn't left yet and you were here praying for him to cancel the whole thing, he wouldn't give a f*ck, would he? Get over it, and wait for his return
this forum wouldn't exist if people always got over what he did.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #27
country flag MarieS

MarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite the spirited essay there inez...
That's an interesting perspective. So we as fans owe Marat unconditional support and admiration and he doesn't owe us anything? Oooooooook.
There are different levels of fandom. I haven't reached the delusional-will-support-any-insane-enterprise-he-undertakes level yet, but I'll let you know when I get there .
Bottom line is, he's a public figure. He's obligated to his sponsors, his sport, his fans, to at least show up to the things he has committed to. If he doesn't like it, that's TOUGH SHIT because he wouldn't be the multi-millionaire he is today without that sport. Doing this is irresponsible and me being a fan in no way bars me from saying this. I'm not denying him his right to make the decisions he wants to make, but just because he has the right to make them doesn't mean I can't point out how ridiculous they are in MY opinion.
And yes yes, I've heard ALL about his multi-dimensionality...Somewhere deep inside him there lies a dead poet that he needs to get in touch with every few years ...I wish I could buy into this every time, but to me it's over-romanticizing and lazy reporting all in one wonderful package, and frankly I am tired of hearing about it ...

steph, if I wanna whine, I'll whine all I want . I can't do this anywhere else .
It's just you don't want to have a lot of expectations, because when you start to have a lot of expectations you just end up losing in the third round to God knows who. ~Marat Safin, summarizing his career

No comment:
Mawie: he kinda reminds me of me, he feels obligated to have every sentence be a joke
Maggie Tulliver: and he takes his clothes off when he sees a camera
Maggie Tulliver: it's a little pathetic
Maggie Tulliver: it's like his first reaction
MarieS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #28

I have another question.
Just read this:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/107091...ry_8316273.asp

could they actually cause him any trouble? if they feel he's not fullfilling contracts or something?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieS View Post
That's quite the spirited essay there inez...
That's an interesting perspective. So we as fans owe Marat unconditional support and admiration and he doesn't owe us anything? Oooooooook.
There are different levels of fandom. I haven't reached the delusional-will-support-any-insane-enterprise-he-undertakes level yet, but I'll let you know when I get there .
Bottom line is, he's a public figure. He's obligated to his sponsors, his sport, his fans, to at least show up to the things he has committed to. If he doesn't like it, that's TOUGH SHIT because he wouldn't be the multi-millionaire he is today without that sport. Doing this is irresponsible and me being a fan in no way bars me from saying this. I'm not denying him his right to make the decisions he wants to make, but just because he has the right to make them doesn't mean I can't point out how ridiculous they are in MY opinion.
And yes yes, I've heard ALL about his multi-dimensionality...Somewhere deep inside him there lies a dead poet that he needs to get in touch with every few years ...I wish I could buy into this every time, but to me it's over-romanticizing and lazy reporting all in one wonderful package, and frankly I am tired of hearing about it ...

steph, if I wanna whine, I'll whine all I want . I can't do this anywhere else .
Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #30
country flag luxsword

i suppose so, but isn't amit naor running the tournament or sth ? and he's on marat's team, so